Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Caesar Rayford - Colts tryout another OLB

Marcio James

Caesar Rayford (@CaesaRay85)

22/05/13 09:49

God works in amazing ways truly blessed. Got a call from the Indianapolis Colts leaving today for a workout wish me luck #TeamBringIT!!!!!

Brent Fatig (@GoHorse88)

23/05/13 15:38

Re: Last RT - Tryout player Caesar Rayford projects as an OLB in Indy's 3-4. Long kid at 6'7", 245lbs

why does everyone think just because we bring in a guy hes automatically just gonna be a camp body. grigs doesnt just bring in guys just to bring in guys. obviously he sees something in the guy.

why does everyone think just because we bring in a guy hes automatically just gonna be a camp body. grigs doesnt just bring in guys just to bring in guys. obviously he sees something in the guy.

No kidding, Grigson brings in some players from the CFL, AFL, or UDFA & gives them a shot to prove themselves, it is sort of obvious that they are going to have stiff competition to make the final roster, but someone always has to throw out the "CAMP FODDER" tag...

Freeman earned a spot & I am sure someone labeled him as nothing more than a "Camp Body" last off season too...

Anyways here's to hoping Rayford does well...

No kidding, Grigson brings in some players from the CFL, AFL, or UDFA & gives them a shot to prove themselves, it is sort of obvious that they are going to have stiff competition to make the final roster, but someone always has to throw out the "CAMP FODDER" tag...

Freeman earned a spot & I am sure someone labeled him as nothing more than a "Camp Body" last off season too...

Anyways here's to hoping Rayford does well...

I'm hoping Rayford does well too, but we know Freeman was a very good player in the CFL.  Lot bigger field than the Arena league.  I do like his height though.  Tough to throw over guys that tall.

Colts just signed him.

blogs.colts.com

Edit: And waived LB Jake Killeen

Killeen was gonna get cut at some point anyway Im sure  just way to much linebacker depth for him to overcome, He did look impressive on film but that was in the IFL

My thoughts exactly. :thmup: Glad someone finally posted it. :)

Part of me wonders if the interest in some of the taller guys aren't looked at to block kicks.

Anyway, he appears to be up to 275 in the AFL. Decently productive there, too.

Don't know how strong he is, but he could conceivably move up in weight a bit and be a DE.

The height works good for batting down balls at the line also. That takes some skill and anticipation. Curse you Watt!! Lol

90 players can't all make the team. So by definition, some guys are camp bodies. It doesn't mean they stink, but we all know that some guys have little to no chance of making the team. Therefore they are camp bodies.

not surprised. once werner was drafted and we traded for another LB, he was basically done

OK....

Forgive me, but I think yours is an odd post...

Earlier in this same thread you made a valid point about people calling certain players "camp fodder" and that Grigson brings everyone in for a reason....   etc, etc.      Fair enough.

Then you turn right around and make this post about not being surprised,  etc and then you make a reference to trading for another linebacker.  I assume you mean Sheppard.   But he's an inside linebacker and I thought Killeen was an outside linebacker. 

It feels like this most recent post is a flip-flop from your post earlier in the thread.

So,  which is it?    Everyone is not camp fodder and gets a chance?    Or, their goose is cooked when things happen?

I'm a little confused...

Remember....we do still need camp bodies.  

Someone says above "we assume a camp body.'

The other side of that is "why does everyone make every signee seem like the second coming?"

Good luck Caesar!!  Just come out and play good hard football.  Maybe........ :pass:  :pass:  :pass:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:?????? 

For me, I consider it tempering expectations.  If this guy is to be used as an OLB in our scheme, he is going up against Mathis, Werner, and Walden.  There isn't even a slight chance he replaces Mathis, and there is a slim chance he replaces Werner/Walden who the team has a lot invested in. All those things said, as with most, I assume he is camp fodder and a potential backup to replace Sidburry.  Further, I suspect Sidburry has better odds of making the team than this guy, as we was picked up during the start of FA. They saw something there and wanted to sign him before he went somewhere else.

Obviously Grigson sees something is right, but the odds are long for a guy picked up at this point to be relevant, especially when he isn't an established veteran.  That's not to say he is a sure thing to be camp fodder, but simply that it is more likely he is a camp guy with long odds of making the final 53.  To further this point and separate Freeman, Freeman was signed January 16, 2012.  This guy was signed well after the draft, FA, and many other things.  He was on no one's radar.  If he made it that long without a contract, I suspect no one is going to blink when/if he gets cut.

Remember....we do still need camp bodies.  

Someone says above "we assume a camp body.'

The other side of that is "why does everyone make every signee seem like the second coming?"

Good luck Caesar!!  Just come out and play good hard football.  Maybe........ :pass:  :pass:  :pass:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:?????? 

Hes a long shot,we both know this Brother,but at least he gets a chance to turn some heads

90 players can't all make the team. So by definition, some guys are camp bodies. It doesn't mean they stink, but we all know that some guys have little to no chance of making the team. Therefore they are camp bodies.

Exactly. . . we are already for example loaded at LB between several players who have already proven themselves in the NFL and a first round draft pick.  

How much chance does a guy who wasn't even invited to a NFL training camp after he finished school and has been cut from CFL teams have of making the 53 man roster?  Not a lot.  

Don't get me wrong, he's certainly a better football player then I am, and I'm not rooting for his failure, in fact I hope he proves me wrong and is the 2nd coming of Ray Lewis (without the murder thing).  But how likely is it that he makes the team? Not very likely.  

The idea here is you bring in a bunch of un drafted rookies and players from other leagues and hope that just one of them turns out to be that diamond in the rough.  But most of these guys in the end are just camp bodies, they will show up to training camp and will be cut from the roster before the real games start.

OK....

Forgive me, but I think yours is an odd post...

Earlier in this same thread you made a valid point about people calling certain players "camp fodder" and that Grigson brings everyone in for a reason....   etc, etc.      Fair enough.

Then you turn right around and make this post about not being surprised,  etc and then you make a reference to trading for another linebacker.  I assume you mean Sheppard.   But he's an inside linebacker and I thought Killeen was an outside linebacker. 

It feels like this most recent post is a flip-flop from your post earlier in the thread.

So,  which is it?    Everyone is not camp fodder and gets a chance?    Or, their goose is cooked when things happen?

I'm a little confused...

you pick a guy up and you already have depth at that position then your chances arent that good.

He has great size as a OLB but we already have Mathis,Werner,Walden,Sidbury, and Mcnary. Will be hard for him to make the team because were so deep at that position and i don't think will carry more then 5 OLB's.

Mcnary isn't guaranteed a spot either