Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where does our D rank in the NFL?

BlueCollarColts

Where would you guys rank our D right now (on paper of course) as compared to the rest of the NFL, I am going to go through each position group and then rank them, what do you guys think?

DB's: LaRon Landry, Greg Toler, Antoine Bethea, Vontae Davis, Darius Butler (no one is a superstar yet, but I think they are all above average starters and nickel corners in Butlers case, however I believe Davis has potential to be a shutdown corner, I would say this is a good unit, not great, but potentially great if Davis reaches his full potential)

LB's: Jerrell Freeman, Pat Angerer, Kavell Conner, Kelvin Sheppard, Bjoern Werner, Robert Mathis, Erik Walden, Lawrence Sidbury (I think our MLB group depends on Angerer, Angerer struggled last season adjusting to the 3-4, however he was dealing with a foot injury the whole year and he was never 100%, if he can give us good play next year our MLB's are a much better group, we know Freeman will give us good, not great play, and Sheppard and Conner are good rotation players, out OLB's are a good group IMO, Mathis will be good at pressuring the QB and I expect a good year from him, and I think Walden wii be good against the run, and for an occasional pass rush, and I think Werner will be an all around good player who IMO could get 9-10 sacks if he plays as well as he is capable of)

D-Line: Ricky Jean-Francois, Cory Redding, Josh Chapman, Aubrayo Franklin, Montori Hughes, Fili Moala, Drake Nevis (I think this group is very underrated, I think Francois will be a very good starter, I also think Redding will be a good starter and leader, as he proved last year, along with Chapman in the middle who is our big run stuffer, and I feel our rotation players of Hughes, Franklin, and Moala/Nevis I think this is a very formidable group)

I know I am rambling, but in conclusion, I feel that our D is currently top 15, and if everyone plays up to their potential, I think this group can be a top 10 D this season, what do you guys think?

I know I am rambling, but in conclusion, I feel that our D is currently top 15, and if everyone plays up to their potential, I think this group can be a top 10 D this season, what do you guys think?

I agree. I think the D will surprise a lot of people this year.

25-30

Lot of new faces and don't know how they'll all perform as a unit so I'll give us a low number with high hopes of being proved wrong and end up being a Top 15 Defense

25 to 30? We could have achieved that without adding anyone. Geez. I understand some people want to be "realistic", but that's NOT realistic.

As of right now, I'd say we are in the 15-20 range.  However, a lot of these players could surprise us.  It they stay healthy and play to their potential, they can be a top 10 defense, like you said. 

Agreed. I like the depth we've built, but I see no reason to think we'll definitely be a top 10 defense or something, but I'm optimistic. 

We we 26th in total defense by yards allowed last year....

I believe we were roughly 20th in defense by points allowed...

We were 29th in rushing defense by yards allowed

And we were 21st in passing defense by yards allowed...

ALL OF THOSE categories have to be at least in the teens this year....   and the closer to 16th the better!   

I don't know what our friend TKnight is smoking rating our defense 25th-30th, unless he's referring back to last year's rankings.  Then,  he's correct!   I can't imagine he's predicting that's what we'll be ranked in 2013....

But hopefully,  for all of our sake,  this year the Colts really step up their defensive effort.

I feel on paper, that we have a better D than we've ever had in the Manning era. It has a chance to be special. If everyone stays (relatively) healthy, we're going to start to dominate the marginal teams, and hang with the great teams. Mark it down. I've been a Colts fan for the better part of 50 years, I'm tellin ya, somethin's in the air. I can't remember the last time I was this excited about my team. 13-3 is very possible. We just need to win in the division, stop the run, and it's ours. Grigs is building a solid D, and can't wait til the season starts.........

I think it is going to take another 2 maybe 3 years for this D to be top tier. However I also believe that this years draft is going to surprise a lot of people. I think we jump into the top 21-17. Which is much better then last year. Hopefully we can find a ground game to take some pressure off the D.

With as much attention as our O line was addressed, you know Kip is running the ball. You know what they say, the less you see off the defense the better.  

I think it is going to take another 2 maybe 3 years for this D to be top tier. 

I agree. I never said they were going to be the 85 Bears D, but I just don't see less than 15th or so. We may not have picked up superstars on D, but we solidified ourselves to the point where we should easily be average at worst. And probably better. Just the way I see it. And btw, I'M NEVER WRONG!   ;)

I think Grigson and Pagano are in the process of building what they want in the defense as we speak. With their backgrounds it come as no surprise as to what is going on. Grigson picked up quite a few players that were not starters last season with his hands tied with a negative cap space. I know there are some that are negative with some of the draft picks and free agent signings but at least Grigson kept some of the money in the bank to shop for a player or two when all the cuts are made later in the year. There will be players kept and released that will not be popular choices by all of us armchair GMs but I will trust his judgement till proved otherwise. With what happened last season and what has happened so far this season the Colts have gotten a lot bigger than in the past. Gone are the 4-3 and the cover 2 defense that took a high power offense to make it work. I hope the days of depending on super play from the QB position are gone. With Luck playing on a more balanced team his job should be much easier than Manning's was. As Colt fans we have alway said that QBs like Big Ben and Brady were the benefit of being on better all around teams than Manning was. I think that Grigson already has a head start in moving in that direction. If a patch work roster can go 11-5 I think we all can be excited as to the future will bring. 

I hope the days of depending on super play from the QB position are gone.

I don't. I loved watching Johnny U, Bert Jones, Jim Harbaugh (briefly), Peyton Manning, and now Andrew Luck. Are you kidding me? I want to see Luck light it up like no one has ever seen. But that doesn't mean I don't care about the defense. Of course I want a great defense, who doesn't? 

Just when we as colts fans think we have seen the best, (as in Manning) ummmm I see true greatness in Andrew, it's so easy to see. Awww shucks worked for us before, I'll take it again. You have to respect a multi-millionaire who doesn't use a smart phone. That tells you where his head is. On football. Nothing else.

On paper I'd say a top 16-18 with our D being probably being hovering around 18, thats middle of the pack, an improvement over last year but , We have some good pieces but we have some question marks and I would even say some holes but we have players that have been in the scheme for a year now along with some play makers, we wont be a real high ranked D,, just to many question marks and depth issues at some positions but I expect us to be respectable and 16-18 in total D is if nothing else respectable but still leaves plenty of room for improvement and the same for our scoring D

ALL OF THOSE categories have to be at least in the teens this year....   and the closer to 16th the better!   

I don't know what our friend TKnight is smoking rating our defense 25th-30th, unless he's referring back to last year's rankings.  Then,  he's correct!   I can't imagine he's predicting that's what we'll be ranked in 2013....

But hopefully,  for all of our sake,  this year the Colts really step up their defensive effort.

I have:

31st v the run

28th in total yards

27th passing

21st points against

With the last one being the most important....

I am quite optimistic about the changes taking place on the D.

But if the defence does not make significant progress this year,

it is going to be Coach Pagano who blows a gasket!

Yes this is a work in progress, but he is not a patient man.

If there is not big gains in ranking of this D especially in reguard to

total defence by yards allowed and rushing yards allowed, I think

our coach is going to stop being "Mr. Nice Guy"

Yes, on paper we should be significantly better, but on paper don't win games,

If we can get all those stats inside the top 20 this D will be on it's way to being a MONSTER!

Progress Not Perfection.

The Colts players, way over any other team, each have such high levels of potential. Doesn't mean they will do well this year, but have a good chance to really shine. If you look at our players stat wise and proven ability, then I think the Defense does rank low. Most of us "believe" they will get the great coaching/instruction that will have them living up to their potential. Well planned Camp competition, past team success and pride and Grigson's ability to bring in players with a strong work ethic and who have the eye of the tiger should create some synergy success that analyst don't now see in their stats.

Potentially Top 10 ... In that playoff loss Vontae and the rest of the secondary was plastered all over the ravens WRs ... That was a masterful 1st half the defense played and they seemed to just get tired due to the ravens controlling the LOS.

The loss was encouraging because I saw a glimpse of what we COULD be.

Vontae Davis is a Star in this league

Laron Landry is a Star in this league

Greg Toler is a Above Average

Antoine Bethea is Above Average

Darius Butler is trending toward his potential

Cassius Vaughn is better than most think ... His instincts have to improve but his coverage isn't the mess some make it out to be.

I'm looking foward to a Good Overall defense in 2013 and a Monster of a Defense in 2014 because of Montori Hughes

If you would compare our defense to others in the league, we appear to be average. We don't seem to have anyone really special. I think that Bethea, Mathis, Davis, and Landry are really good players, but not elite at their positions. (Davis is not elite- but has potential). 

We're just excited because this year's defense appears to be the best defense that we've had in a long, long time, and for that reason, some may be overreacting a little by thinking we could be a top 10 defense. Like many posters have stated, I think we're right around the middle, 15th-16th in overall defense in the league.

I have:

31st v the run

28th in total yards

27th passing

21st points against

With the last one being the most important....

where did you get those numbers? we were 29th vs run, 21st vs passing, not sure about points and total yards. but your pass and run numbers are wrong

where did you get those numbers? we were 29th vs run, 21st vs passing, not sure about points and total yards. but your pass and run numbers are wrong

I beg your pardon? How are they wrong? Why are your's right?

Actually, they are not your's or mine, just some web site we fetched them off. If you retrieved the numbers you quoted from NFL.com, then I'd take that as gospel.

I don't. I loved watching Johnny U, Bert Jones, Jim Harbaugh (briefly), Peyton Manning, and now Andrew Luck. Are you kidding me? I want to see Luck light it up like no one has ever seen. But that doesn't mean I don't care about the defense. Of course I want a great defense, who doesn't? 

Just when we as colts fans think we have seen the best, (as in Manning) ummmm I see true greatness in Andrew, it's so easy to see. Awww shucks worked for us before, I'll take it again. You have to respect a multi-millionaire who doesn't use a smart phone. That tells you where his head is. On football. Nothing else.

Exactly how has those days of the super play from the QB worked out in the playoffs?  How many times did we see Manning have a lead or have the team in position to win a playoff game just to see poor defense and or a not so special team give it away. Yes Manning was exciting to watch but the losses were pretty bad. One super bowl win with a high caliber QB is really a sad. After seeing Mannings very poor playoff record tells me that the high power QB does not equate to playoff or super bowl wins. 

Where would you guys rank our D right now (on paper of course) as compared to the rest of the NFL, I am going to go through each position group and then rank them, what do you guys think?

DB's: LaRon Landry, Greg Toler, Antoine Bethea, Vontae Davis, Darius Butler (no one is a superstar yet, but I think they are all above average starters and nickel corners in Butlers case, however I believe Davis has potential to be a shutdown corner, I would say this is a good unit, not great, but potentially great if Davis reaches his full potential)

LB's: Jerrell Freeman, Pat Angerer, Kavell Conner, Kelvin Sheppard, Bjoern Werner, Robert Mathis, Erik Walden, Lawrence Sidbury (I think our MLB group depends on Angerer, Angerer struggled last season adjusting to the 3-4, however he was dealing with a foot injury the whole year and he was never 100%, if he can give us good play next year our MLB's are a much better group, we know Freeman will give us good, not great play, and Sheppard and Conner are good rotation players, out OLB's are a good group IMO, Mathis will be good at pressuring the QB and I expect a good year from him, and I think Walden wii be good against the run, and for an occasional pass rush, and I think Werner will be an all around good player who IMO could get 9-10 sacks if he plays as well as he is capable of)

D-Line: Ricky Jean-Francois, Cory Redding, Josh Chapman, Aubrayo Franklin, Montori Hughes, Fili Moala, Drake Nevis (I think this group is very underrated, I think Francois will be a very good starter, I also think Redding will be a good starter and leader, as he proved last year, along with Chapman in the middle who is our big run stuffer, and I feel our rotation players of Hughes, Franklin, and Moala/Nevis I think this is a very formidable group)

If you were to sum up our defense in one word... what would it be?

In the NFL ...   IF a D can stop the run...   they will usually be an upper half D unit..... 

and IF that unit can get off of the field on 3rd down....     (Indy's Achilles heel the last few seasons)  ...   

THEN, this D can be pretty dang good....      Lot's of potential here...

But honestly .. it is May...     on paper Indy is FAR better ... but I am waiting for TC.

Top 15. I think the Run Defense will be better than Pass Defense. Purely because i think the safeties we have are more to help stopping the run than they are defending the pass. Plus the DL is very sturdy this year all way down the depth chart.

Exactly how has those days of the super play from the QB worked out in the playoffs?  How many times did we see Manning have a lead or have the team in position to win a playoff game just to see poor defense and or a not so special team give it away. Yes Manning was exciting to watch but the losses were pretty bad. One super bowl win with a high caliber QB is really a sad. After seeing Mannings very poor playoff record tells me that the high power QB does not equate to playoff or super bowl wins. 

Having a great QB doesn't mean you have to have a bad defense. I get why the Colts only had 1 SB when Manning was there. I want to see great QB play and a great defense. Pu-lease. Regardless of how good or poor your defense, the odds of winning go way up with a great QB.

So having a not-so-special QB is supposed to be better? After reading your "logic", I don't want you to quote me and respond. You're going on my iggy list. I don't have time for nonsense.

I believe we will have a top 10 defense. Last year we did not have enough experienced players in the 3-4 and so were limited in play calling. Now the only rookie will be Werner in the D. Chapman practiced the D all last year and qualifies as a little better than a rookie and he also played a similar defense in college. If Chapman commands a double team and Hughes does the same when he comes in then Mathis becomes more deadly.