Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ladies and Gentleman, Our 2013 Draft!

coltsguy510

1. OLB Bjoern Werner: Werner is gonna bring a nonstop motor, elite first step, and a complete OLB to the Colts. He can play Strong Side and Rush Linebacker with his run stopping abilities, power, and speed. Should be a Pro Bowler and staple of the Colts defense for years to come.

2. CB Vontae Davis: Davis is the steal of the draft in the second round. He has all the abilities in the world to become a top 5 corner and has showed flashes of being one. Chuck Pagano is known for making CB's great and I can't wait to see what he does when he has a full offseason to work with Vontae.

3. OG Hugh Thornton: Thornton is gonna be a beast in the LG spot. He plays with aggression and emotion. He always plays till the whistle blows and tries to own and dominate his man. He brings versatility to the line, having played OT and OG throughout his career. I expect him and Thomas to hold up the interior and open lanes for a long time.

4. C/OG Khaled Holmes: Holmes should be the final piece of the puzzle that is our Offensive Line. He brings smarts and the will to work. He is a versatile player and can play any of the three interior positions. He reminds me of Saturday in that many analysts say that he is small and can't handle big lineman, but is smart and reads coverages well. I expect him to start at Center by the end of the season.

5a. NT/DE Montori Hughes: Hughes could be a huge steal at this point on the draft. He is a huge player at 6-4, 330 pounds. In the Senior Bowl, he was either double team or when he was one on one with a player he beat him. Pagano likened him to Ngata in the way he moves for his size. Learning under Redding will only make him better and I see him as Redding's replacement in a few years.

5b. NT Josh Chapman: Chapman was a beast at Alabama. He is extremely tough, I mean he played through an ACL tear for two months! He commands double teams and is almost impossible to move. He loves being in the trenches and loves to mix it up with opposing lineman. He should rotate at the NT spot and start occasionally.

6. S John Boyett: Boyett is a leader that just loves the game of football. He has elite instincts for his position and delivers big hits. He was a Pre-Season All American and on watch lists for all the major defensive awards, but was injured in the first game of the year. If he fully recovers and injuries aren't a concern going forth, he could become our replacement for Bethea if we lose him to FA next year.

7a. RB Kerwynn Williams: Williams may become our own personal Darren Sproles. He is a great kick returner and is a ultra quick-runner. He is a phenomenal receiver out of the backfield and is a threat to take it all the way every time he touches the ball. I think he might overtake Brown as the #2 back next year.

7b. TE Justice Cunningham (AKA Mr. Irrelevant): Pep Hamiton can never get enough TE's and Cunningham is no slouch. He is a great blocker and has a huge body. He secures the ball well and can compete with Saunders for the third TE spot.

Now to all the people that are hating on the draft. This draft, while not flashy, is going to make our defense one of the leagues top in a few years and give us a very good O-Line. I can't wait for this team to become a nasty, well-built Monster!! #BuildTheMonster

By the way Pagano raved about Boyett in their presser after the draft I mean his eyes just lit up when the reporter said that safety from Oregon. Sounds like they have big plans for him, say Boyett can play lights out and as far as his rehab all arrows are pointing in the right direction and there is no doubt by the time training camp rolls around he will be ready to compete.

no way he is put on practice squad just for somebody to scoop him up, he is making the team on special teams alone

1. OLB Bjoern Werner: Werner is gonna bring a nonstop motor, elite first step, and a complete OLB to the Colts. He can play Strong Side and Rush Linebacker with his run stopping abilities, power, and speed. Should be a Pro Bowler and staple of the Colts defense for years to come.

2. CB Vontae Davis: Davis is the steal of the draft in the second round. He has all the abilities in the world to become a top 5 corner and has showed flashes of being one. Chuck Pagano is known for making CB's great and I can't wait to see what he does when he has a full offseason to work with Vontae.

3. OG Hugh Thornton: Thornton is gonna be a beast in the LG spot. He plays with aggression and emotion. He always plays till the whistle blows and tries to own and dominate his man. He brings versatility to the line, having played OT and OG throughout his career. I expect him and Thomas to hold up the interior and open lanes for a long time.

4. C/OG Khaled Holmes: Holmes should be the final piece of the puzzle that is our Offensive Line. He brings smarts and the will to work. He is a versatile player and can play any of the three interior positions. He reminds me of Saturday in that many analysts say that he is small and can't handle big lineman, but is smart and reads coverages well. I expect him to start at Center by the end of the season.

5a. NT/DE Montori Hughes: Hughes could be a huge steal at this point on the draft. He is a huge player at 6-4, 330 pounds. In the Senior Bowl, he was either double team or when he was one on one with a player he beat him. Pagano likened him to Ngata in the way he moves for his size. Learning under Redding will only make him better and I see him as Redding's replacement in a few years.

5b. NT Josh Chapman: Chapman was a beast at Alabama. He is extremely tough, I mean he played through an ACL tear for two months! He commands double teams and is almost impossible to move. He loves being in the trenches and loves to mix it up with opposing lineman. He should rotate at the NT spot and start occasionally.

6. S John Boyett: Boyett is a leader that just loves the game of football. He has elite instincts for his position and delivers big hits. He was a Pre-Season All American and on watch lists for all the major defensive awards, but was injured in the first game of the year. If he fully recovers and injuries aren't a concern going forth, he could become our replacement for Bethea if we lose him to FA next year.

7a. RB Kerwynn Williams: Williams may become our own personal Darren Sproles. He is a great kick returner and is a ultra quick-runner. He is a phenomenal receiver out of the backfield and is a threat to take it all the way every time he touches the ball. I think he might overtake Brown as the #2 back next year.

7b. TE Justice Cunningham (AKA Mr. Irrelevant): Pep Hamiton can never get enough TE's and Cunningham is no slouch. He is a great blocker and has a huge body. He secures the ball well and can compete with Saunders for the third TE spot.

Now to all the people that are hating on the draft. This draft, while not flashy, is going to make our defense one of the leagues top in a few years and give us a very good O-Line. I can't wait for this team to become a nasty, well-built Monster!! #BuildTheMonster

Why wouldn't Chapman Start every game who's better than him? 

You can't really include Davis and Chapman.

Just sayin'.

That's great!

But we still didn't draft them...

I'm with you on this one, the strength of a draft should be judged on how well a team drafted with what picks they had. I just think it's silly that in an attempt to make the draft seem more appealing we would need to add in 2 players who technically weren't drafted just to make it look better compared to teams who had 7 or more picks. We seemed to have done good with what picks we had, people (I say seem because I've never seen these guys play). We knew we were at a disadvantage with the amount of picks we had, but we did not draft Vontae Davis, a player who we may only have for 1 more season since he's in a contract year. And Chapman was a 5th round pick last year, just because he was injured doesn't mean he was in 2 drafts (and the fact that he was injured was the reason we  got him where he was anyways!)

I honestly like this draft. Our O line should be sorted for the next several years. We got our replacement for Freeney. An excellent blocker at TE. Our very own Darren Sproles (like the comparison). A tough as nails backup safety that fits the scheme.

And last but not least, WE DIDN'T GO WR! THANKYOU MR GRIGSON.

I'm with you on this one, the strength of a draft should be judged on how well a team drafted with what picks they had. I just think it's silly that in an attempt to make the draft seem more appealing we would need to add in 2 players who technically weren't drafted just to make it look better compared to teams who had 7 or more picks. We seemed to have done good with what picks we had, people (I say seem because I've never seen these guys play). We knew we were at a disadvantage with the amount of picks we had, but we did not draft Vontae Davis, a player who we may only have for 1 more season since he's in a contract year. And Chapman was a 5th round pick last year, just because he was injured doesn't mean he was in 2 drafts (and the fact that he was injured was the reason we  got him where he was anyways!)

Im not saying this is our actual draft class and comparing it to other teams. But how many times have you heard people on this forum say that we got the best corner in the draft in the second round. I have, a lot. It's more of me saying that our team will be that much better with these young players that will contribute this year.

Im not as high on the Holmes and Hughes picks as others are. Holmes must get stronger to hold up against NTs in this league. He has been pushed back quite often in college.

As for Hughes, I have heard he is lazy so hopefully Pagano changes that. Plus when I watched him go against C Brian Schwenke one on one at the Senior Bowl, Schwenke stood him up. So I wonder if he can beat NFL caliber OL one on one.

one guy i think we missed out on was Chase Thomas OLB from Stanford, he went undrafted and signed by the Saints. This would have been a much better pick at 254 then Cunningham. If you read his analysis (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/chase-thomas?id=2539314) they say hes a smart strong edge rusher who can play at DE and OLB who can rush the qb on the edge, play the run, has good coverage skills and can effectively blitz across the line. I think he would have been a great late round pick or we should have at least made a play on him after the draft. 

Solid drafting by Grigson, literally a meat and potatoes draft.

I agree that Davis was basically our choice in this year's draft.

Although it is hard for me to say that all of these guys will be good or bad because the NFL is tricky. Kerwynn could be the eventual starter at RB in 3 years while Bjeorn out of the league in the matter of those same 3 years. 

one guy i think we missed out on was Chase Thomas OLB from Stanford, he went undrafted and signed by the Saints. This would have been a much better pick at 254 then Cunningham. If you read his analysis (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/chase-thomas?id=2539314) they say hes a smart strong edge rusher who can play at DE and OLB who can rush the qb on the edge, play the run, has good coverage skills and can effectively blitz across the line. I think he would have been a great late round pick or we should have at least made a play on him after the draft.

Yeah, I had my eye on him too. I think quite a few people did.

We're not exactly weak or shallow at linebacker now so I can sew why we didn't take him.