Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

we coulda had Patterson

GoodLuck

Screw Patterson, look at the deal the vikings gave for #29. At #24 we prolly could have convinced them to part with Peterson, as well as all the picks they gave the Pats.

Mark my words:

The vikings just sent the road to the AFC right back through New England, and it's now likely going to be a road paved for years to come. This was NOT the draft to play into their down trading ways.

Pats go from 29th to 52nd and what they got in return was 640 points less than what the 29th pick was. It just sounded good when it happened

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol best part about this night is watching all the GM wannabes get upset the guy they liked didn't get picked.

lmao

Yeah it's almost as good as seeing so many people blindly praise Grigson for the pick ("He got his guy"), no questions asked; whether they knew anything about Werner or not.

Yeah it's almost as good as seeing so many people blindly praise Grigson for the pick ("He got his guy"), no questions asked; whether they knew anything about Werner or not.

If you don't know about a Unanamous All American, ACC defensive player of the year, top ten pick all the way up until the combine where he started to fall from a sub par combine, then you must not have been paying attention to college football

If you don't know about a Unanamous All American, ACC defensive player of the year, top ten pick all the way up until the combine where he started to fall from a sub par combine, then you must not have been paying attention to college football

I guarantee many people posting (both for and against) did not know that much about Werner when the pick was made.

I still can't get over the fact that people never heard of him but him and Rhodes played for the same team.

Grigs will never be able to please this fanbase. Everyone cried about signing walden and how BADLY we needed a pass rusher. I guess that all went out the window when they saw Rhodes was still available.

I still can't get over the fact that people never heard of him but him and Rhodes played for the same team.

Grigs will never be able to please this fanbase. Everyone cried about signing walden and how BADLY we needed a pass rusher. I guess that all went out the window when they saw Rhodes was still available.

I had heard of him,  I'm ok with the Walden pick, and was not stuck on picking up Rhodes .... and I am not psyched about the pick. There are plenty of reasons someone might not to be a fan of the pick.

I had heard of him,  I'm ok with the Walden pick, and was not stuck on picking up Rhodes .... and I am not psyched about the pick. There are plenty of reasons someone might not to be a fan of the pick.

you more ok with the Walden signing or Werner?

I had heard of him, I'm ok with the Walden pick, and was not stuck on picking up Rhodes .... and I am not psyched about the pick. There are plenty of reasons someone might not to be a fan of the pick.

Not saying everyone should jump for joy, I'm just saying to say this wasnt a good pick is hating. I can understand not being a fan of the pick because they wanted someone else, but to say it is a bad pick is just wrong.

you more ok with the Walden signing or Werner?

Don't know quite what you are asking ...so I will answer like this: the signing of Walden did not bother me; drafting Werner instead of trading back did bother me.  I think Werner will probably be significantly better than Walden. 

However I think the value of additional players we could have gotten from trading back would have outweighed the value Werner will add.  For instance I think a good guard would have a lot of added value (nearly as much as Werner) if we traded back; plus we would get the value of the additional picks/players.  Now we will likely not get a good guard .... both Warford and Winters will be gone by our 3rd round pick. 

So I guess basically I look at it like: Warford + 2 extra picks > Werner

I think i heard of him once. After we drafted him I'll admit i was upset cause Rhodes was still available. Then i looked at some film of werner and your right he is a machine. Werner and mathis will be awesome.

Oh I was crossing my fingers up and down on my steering wheel for Xavier.

Now that i have seen Werner and some of his film, I am very excited about the guy.

Patterson is a bust waiting to happen if you ask me.  

I maintain that if I had to pick one WR in this draft I would go with Keenan Allen.  I'd be ok with Hopkins too.  

Patterson is a big risk.  Has 1st round athletic ability but hasn't shown first round production.  A lot of guys drafted highly on the basis of athletic ability alone end up being busts.  

I'm not talking just this board, but everywhere. Though this thread is an example of what I'm referring to lol.

And I know nothing about our new number 1 draft pick, but it did seem like they did get their guy. Plenty of options on the table and he's who they picked. Whether he pans out or not is another question.

I hate to tell you but I've heard that they have swabbed your man's butt and are running poop DNA tests as we speak.

That's cool. He'll be destroying defenses rather than hotels from now on. If he is indeed found guilty, anyway.

Bjeorn Werner! I am still giddy like a grade schooler on Christmas this morning. High character guy with a HUGE ceiling. AND he's only played football for 5 years!

If you are upset about this pick you should really re-evaluate your thinking.

There were no eye popping receivers this year, none that IMO were first round talents. Our offense is fine, our defense needs help, thus Werner...

Crossing my fingers for Barrett Jones in the 3rd. 

Go Colts!

I'm just going to say this.. If Allen or Woods are available in the late 2nd we should trade up and get one..

We should certainly consider it with Allen.  Don't know enough about Woods.  What do you think the cost to trade up would be?  Think we could trade the 3rd and our 4th to move up into the late 2nd?

If those guys arn't available in the late 2nd, we should wait and see if we can't trade up maybe into the early 3rd for Barrett Jones.

We should certainly consider it with Allen.  Don't know enough about Woods.  What do you think the cost to trade up would be?  Think we could trade the 3rd and our 4th to move up into the late 2nd?

If those guys arn't available in the late 2nd, we should wait and see if we can't trade up maybe into the early 3rd for Barrett Jones.

yeah, our 3rd is a late one, and if they're available in that 53 to 62 range, that's great value, so.. we may have to give 3rd, 4th and 5th next year, something like that..

If there was a grade of F- the Colts would get it.  You need a pass rusher yes but you also need a WR and a RB which had much better players available so you grab a mediocre player that doesn't fit into your scheme?  Grigson is green and it showed big time.  He probably ruined the team between free agency and that colossal dud.

Scouting Analysis

Werner's play defies his lack of experience, and he is among the smartest, most polished and fundamentally sound prospects in the 2013 Draft class. Rarely out of position, he's assignment sound and has rare instincts, intensity and a nasty streak.

Flashing uncommon poise is big moments, Werner is a high-level athlete. He has exceptional acceleration off the snap, plus flexibility, speed around the corner and solid closing burst. He plays outside containment with integrity. He is athletic enough to force the ball carrier back inside, then close and make the play as well. With textbook stack and shed technique, Werner quickly disengages from opponents and plays with good pad level.

As a pass rusher, he shows tremendous flexibility, acceleration and closing speed off the corner. He can beat solid offensive tackles with raw athleticism alone. He shows a quality rip move on the outside, and a devastating inside counter, where he gains consistent penetration. He must develop additional pass rush moves as he learns his trade.

As a power player, Werner is strong at the point of attack, playing with a wide base anchor strength. He has a quality bull rush, largely successful because of his ability to transition from speed to power, generating enough force to drive an opponent backward.

Werner is undersized and would benefit from adding 15 pounds of muscle, if speed and explosiveness don't suffer as a consequence.

Werner should immediately play end in a 4-3 scheme. He's quicker coming off the edge from a four-point stance, but he looks comfortable as a stand-up rusher. He has enough innate athleticism and instincts to play 3-4 outside linebacker in sub-packages.

He's as fundamentally sound as any player in this draft and should start from Day One. Werner should be drafted no later than the top 10. — Jimmy O'Brien, Optimum Scouting

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2013/round/1/pick/24

I don't anyone disagrees with the fact that we need a pass rusher.  It's the bummy quality of pass rushers that we're bringing in that's annoying people.  You need a car so you get the Griswold famly truckster and say I took care of one of our needs?  Grigson is Griswold.  

If there was a grade of F- the Colts would get it.  You need a pass rusher yes but you also need a WR and a RB which had much better players available so you grab a mediocre player that doesn't fit into your scheme?  Grigson is green and it showed big time.  He probably ruined the team between free agency and that colossal dud.I was wondering, are you an expert in the NFL? 

I was wondering are you an Expert in the NFL? Every expert that has talked about this pick  they love it, but you seem to know more then any of them...

who are Impact players still on the board? There is none, they all are Prospects.... Every single 1 of them! Until they play a snap in the NFL and make an Impact that is all they are... There have been busts at the first pick of the drafts and diamonds in the 6th... Grigson and Pagano know better what we need , then you do, but since you think you know more please go pay Irsay a visit and let him know you want to apply!

It doesn't take a genius to know that with the 24th pick in the 1st round with impact players still out there at need positions you don't take a "motor" guy that runs like a truck for your pass rush hole.  

Griswold does it again.

If there was a grade of F- the Colts would get it.  You need a pass rusher yes but you also need a WR and a RB which had much better players available so you grab a mediocre player that doesn't fit into your scheme?  Grigson is green and it showed big time.  He probably ruined the team between free agency and that colossal dud.

Maybe you should change the last part of your handle.

Appreciate your opinion even though it's about 180 degrees from mine. Personally I don't agree that we need a RB or WR. And I loved our FA acquisitions. I'll let the accountants on the forum argue their value. But how someone can do that without seeing how they fit on our team is beyond me.

Grigson knows what he's doing and knows more than we do. He's the 1 that gets paid 100's of thousands if not millions.

I'm pretty sure many experts don't love that pick from what I've read.  Are you reading the Grigson Times.

"Expert" opinions whose analysis would seem to refute the above dire comments ...

Mike Mayock (Whose opinion / talent evaluation I rather respect) at NFL.com had the following to say about Bjoern Werner ...

"And I had on my number one team need was a 34 outside linebacker"

"He was a hand in the dirt defensive end at Florida State, but he has the athletic ability to stand up."

"I was at his pro day and they put him through the linebacker drop drills and it was WAY better than I expected."

"He will thrive in a Chuck Pagano system."

And to re-post it, Bucky Brooks at NFL.com called this pick by the Colts ... http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000162320/article/2013-nfl-draft-the-perfect-strategy-for-each-team-to-follow

Also of note, according to NFL.com ratings on first round picks, Bjoern Werner was the 15th best player that was taken in the first round, with an 88.2 rating.  The only player taken after Werner with a higher rating was Cordarrelle Patterson with a 90.6 rating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole

But really, I get you might be underwhelmed with the pick but I wouldn't go as far as F-. He was pretty high on a number of boards going into the combine and as for scheme fit I think the best judge of that would be the people who draw up the scheme? People point at Freeney and say look it don't work, but harsh as it might sound remember the FO inherited Freeney from the previous regime and didn't have much choice but to make the square peg fit. At least this time they've picked a guy proactively who they think they can work with,

Drafting anyone has a degree of gamble, and I'm willing to give him a season or two before I start fetching out the pitchforks. 

I have only seen a limited amount of video of Werner, but to me he looks a lot like a slightly smaller version of J.J. Watt. He has that mythical "high motor", refuses to be blocked, and has a great "nose" for the football. I like this guy a lot, and I think time will prove that this was a great pick up at #24.

I know a lot of folks on this forum are disappointed that "their guy" didn't get picked, but the Colts would have needed at least six picks in the first round to make everyone happy. True happiness will come, my brothers, when the boys in blue are drenched in champagne, hoisting another Lombardi trophy. The monster is being built, one moving part at a time.

"Minny" is still ending up with the best draft. They had awesome 1st round selections and they still have a 4,5,6,7,7 left. They did well

Cowherd was talking smack on the Jets, Vikings, & Dolphins first day moves this morning...

Loved Rams, Cincy, & Indy's picks...

Cowherds had alot of love for the Colts since the regime changs, & the dude is right more than he is wrong...

just saying...

That's cool. He'll be destroying defenses rather than hotels from now on. If he is indeed found guilty, anyway.

Just having a little fun with you. I'm sure they are not doing poop DNA tests. I don't know if he'll be "destroying " defenses but he was a nice safe pick and certainly filled a huge hole. Patterson may have been the sexier pick but Hopkins will be good from day 1 and has little chance of busting. But lack of vertical speed is why is was there at 27 (?) . Not a game changing type guy but solid as can be.