Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Apparently Mr. Allen wasn't happy with being drafted by us... (at first)

Indyfan4life

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember he made this clear at the time. This is why I am not as endeared by him as I am by Fleener, despite his obvious talent.

I see him being a huge problem come contract negotiation time.

I don't how you can get that from him at this point.  He was disappointed on draft night and did "lose" some cash based on projections of where he would go.  I think anyone would be disappointed.  But now he clearly enjoys being a Colt and is great with the media and in the community.  But even if contract issues were to develop, that does not make him unique or wrong.  Just the nature of the business. 

I remember he made this clear at the time. This is why I am not as endeared by him as I am by Fleener, despite his obvious talent.

I see him being a huge problem come contract negotiation time.

If Luck continues to progress as he should or likely will then even if Allen demands more money then what Grigs is willing to dish out or can dish out I dont see it a problem, just draft the next average TE and have Andrew (assuming he continues to progress) make a good or even great player out of him, With a great or even real good QB offensive players around him, like wr or Tight End can made to be better then what they really are

I don't how you can get that from him at this point.  He was disappointed on draft night and did "lose" some cash based on projections of where he would go.  I think anyone would be disappointed.  But now he clearly enjoys being a Colt and is great with the media and in the community.  But even if contract issues were to develop, that does not make him unique or wrong.  Just the nature of the business. 

He was more than disappointed. He was angry and made his feelings clear at the time. Believe me I understand that NFL players have a short-shelf life and they should try to get whatever they can get, but I cannot help but feel he portrayed himself as a 'me first' type with those statements. Nothing wrong with it, it just will not make him as naturally likeable as Fleener who  produces a great blog in order to interact with the fans. Don't forget, Fleener also seemed disappointed that the Giants and 49ers didn;t pick him up in the first, but he didn't come across as angry about it, and was happy to be with the Colts.

It is the nature of the business yes, but some players are a lot more troublesome than others in this regard. I see Allen being difficult to tie down without truly elite-TE money, especially after his draft disappointment.

If Luck continues to progress as he should or likely will then even if Allen demands more money then what Grigs is willing to dish out or can dish out I dont see it a problem, just draft the next average TE and have Andrew (assuming he continues to progress) make a good or even great player out of him, With a great or even real good QB offensive players around him, like wr or Tight End can made to be better then what they really are

This comment just doesn't make sense. A great TE is better than a good TE regardless of the QB. Plus there is more to playing the position than having the ball placed on your chestbone.

Honestly I'm thinking a lot of players have felt the same as he did. Who really cares how he felt immediately after getting drafted? He sure played like a first or second round pick and if he keeps it up he will get the money he deserves. He seems like a hard working kid and he sure has done a lot around the community so far.

Well, let's think about this for a second. First, he gets picked 1-2 full rounds later than he anticipated, costing him a ton of money. Then, he gets picked by the Colts, who just picked Coby Fleener, likely relegating him to being a 2nd string guy with reduced playing time (although it didn't turn out that way).

Yeah, I'd be * too... I don't think it had to do anything with it being the Colts.

Exactly. I remember reading a similar article where Fleener was bummed out about not going in the first round. He went to NYC and everything, and had to go back to the hotel with questions in his head after Night 1. I feel like it's only natural for these guys to have this mentality with all of the sports media coverage-- people like Kiper and all just pushing their names all over the place.

I took it a different way.  He is playing with a chip on his shoulder and those are the most productive players from my experience.  I'd rather have that than the guy that's "just happy to be there".

Me too. I guess you could say Allen could have a "Don't tell me what I can't do" sort of attitude, right Mr. Locke? ;)

He was more than disappointed. He was angry and made his feelings clear at the time. Believe me I understand that NFL players have a short-shelf life and they should try to get whatever they can get, but I cannot help but feel he portrayed himself as a 'me first' type with those statements. Nothing wrong with it, it just will not make him as naturally likeable as Fleener who  produces a great blog in order to interact with the fans. Don't forget, Fleener also seemed disappointed that the Giants and 49ers didn;t pick him up in the first, but he didn't come across as angry about it, and was happy to be with the Colts.

It is the nature of the business yes, but some players are a lot more troublesome than others in this regard. I see Allen being difficult to tie down without truly elite-TE money, especially after his draft disappointment.

I have greatly appreciated your insight since you joined the board.  You clearly know the game.  On this one however, we will have to agree to disagree.

That is a stretch, IMO. First, he needs to have elite TE production to get elite TE money. I am sure he will get his fair market value. Next, he was the guy who we all read an article about how a $10 dollar bill saved his life. He will be grateful for what he has, if it is fair market value. As long as we don't low ball him, come free agency time, he will be fine, IMO.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2012/12/28/indianapolis-colts-dwayne-allen-changed-his-life-with-a-ten-dollar-bill/1797141/

He is just expressing the facts of life that is the NFL draft. Cordy Glenn, Coby Fleener, all had to wait past day 1 last year.

Matt Barkley, he was asked SEVERAL times so far if he regrets it going back to college for 1 more year and he said that he dealt with more adversity in that last year than years past at USC, that actually will help him more in the long run, and I think it is true. Sanchez, Leinart, none of those guys had real adversity to face when USC was winning most of its games. I do think Barkley had a taste of what NFL life would be like, where a lot of things don't go your way. So, yes, it might be in the back of his mind that he lost a few million dollars like Dwayne Allen but if he is willing to take on adversity, it will serve him well and let him earn his fair share down the road. Every player needs just one team and coach to believe in him.

I have greatly appreciated your insight since you joined the board.  You clearly know the game.  On this one however, we will have to agree to disagree.

Thank you and believe me the feeling is mutual.

This is just a personal grievance for me. I remember being annoyed by Allen's reaction to us drafting him. Not that they need to be constantly compared, but I am gripped by Fleener's blog and how down to earth he is... I can't help but like him more. Neither player had any links to this team and both were going to play hard for whatever team that drafted them. But as a fan, you like to believe that the good players you draft, now consider themselves part of the team for life. I just don't have that feeling with Allen. Maybe I will in the future.

That being said I am in no way directing any distain for Allen's footballing ability, he is a huge player for us.

Not that they need to be constantly compared, but I am gripped by Fleener's blog and how down to earth he is... I can't help but like him more.

Since you shared how you feel about Fleener, this is what I feel. I have read in an article that Fleener is a mama's boy while Dwayne Allen grew up without a father figure. So, how they act could all be influenced by their circumstances.

Not that I am extrapolating a mama's boy (when you have a Dad as well) to being a softie but if I had to place my chips on who will be soft and who will be tougher, I'd place them on Fleener being soft but well behaved and Dwayne Allen being tougher in the long run. That is just based on my gut feeling.

That is a stretch, IMO. First, he needs to have elite TE production to get elite TE money. I am sure he will get his fair market value. Next, he was the guy who we all read an article about how a $10 dollar bill saved his life. He will be grateful for what he has, if it is fair market value. As long as we don't low ball him, come free agency time, he will be fine, IMO.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2012/12/28/indianapolis-colts-dwayne-allen-changed-his-life-with-a-ten-dollar-bill/1797141/

He is just expressing the facts of life that is the NFL draft. Cordy Glenn, Coby Fleener, all had to wait past day 1 last year.

Matt Barkley, he was asked SEVERAL times so far if he regrets it going back to college for 1 more year and he said that he dealt with more adversity in that last year than years past at USC, that actually will help him more in the long run, and I think it is true. Sanchez, Leinart, none of those guys had real adversity to face when USC was winning most of its games. I do think Barkley had a taste of what NFL life would be like, where a lot of things don't go your way. So, yes, it might be in the back of his mind that he lost a few million dollars like Dwayne Allen but if he is willing to take on adversity, it will serve him well and let him earn his fair share down the road. Every player needs just one team and coach to believe in him.

Fair points, but I am basing that off the assumption that he does become an elite TE, and it may sound entirely skeptical and unfounded, but these comments just give me the impression that he may go to the highest bidder come contract time. I could very well be wrong.

Fair points, but I am basing that off the assumption that he does become an elite TE, and it may sound entirely skeptical and unfounded, but these comments just give me the impression that he may go to the highest bidder come contract time. I could very well be wrong.

Shelf life of an NFL player is low enough that if you are a player like Pierre Garcon, you go to the highest bidder that gives $43 mil. over $35 mil. that the Colts were possibly offering for the same 5 years. I won't hold it against Allen if he does that, especially if it is his first big contract like Garcon's. It is like people expecting the same out of Flacco as Brady and Big Ben regards contract re-structuring when Flacco has not made his first big contract money yet. So, if it is his first big contract, everyone needs to be given a pass, IMO. :)

Wayne had made his money, so $2-3 mil. more with another team was not going to make or break him while those making their first big contract money, the situations have to be treated differently, IMO.

Since you shared how you feel about Fleener, this is what I feel. I have read in an article that Fleener is a mama's boy while Dwayne Allen grew up without a father figure. So, how they act could all be influenced by their circumstances.

Not that I am extrapolating a mama's boy (when you have a Dad as well) to being a softie but if I had to place my chips on who will be soft and who will be tougher, I'd place them on Fleener being soft but well behaved and Dwayne Allen being tougher in the long run. That is just based on my gut feeling.

I presume you are putting this down to how they will turn out as football players, again I am not talking about football ability. I am putting it down to how much I like them personally.

Shelf life of an NFL player is low enough that if you are a player like Pierre Garcon, you go to the highest bidder that gives $43 mil. over $35 mil. that the Colts were possibly offering for the same 5 years. I won't hold it against Allen if he does that, especially if it is his first big contract like Garcon's. It is like people expecting the same out of Flacco as Brady and Big Ben regards contract re-structuring when Flacco has not made his first big contract money yet. So, if it is his first big contract, everyone needs to be given a pass, IMO. :)

Wayne had made his money, so $2-3 mil. more with another team was not going to make or break him while those making their first big contract money, the situations have to be treated differently, IMO.

Of course, but as a Colts fan I will be selfish and want good players to stay here. I certainly would understand any player going to the highest bidder, especially if that may well be the last paycheck of merit that they ever receive.

I presume you are putting this down to how they will turn out as football players, again I am not talking about football ability. I am putting it down to how much I like them personally.

I get what you're saying, but after listening to D Allen on the local radio station several times he is one of my favorite Colts. Very personable...talks about how he loves the city, the pacers, even Butler basketball. After PatMac, Allen goes on the local radio more than any other Colt.

wasnt so much that he was drafted by the colts as it was because of the colts. how would any kid feel coming out of college being drafted at a position that was just addressed a few picks earlier? he prob felt he would not be used much and mostly as a back up because fleener was drafted right before him. not to mention he only got like 750,000 in signing bonus compared to being drafted earlier  in the 2nd round where he would have gotten 2 million. dont blame him for being mad, especially when he was projected as a first rounder leading up to the draft. 

I don't think he means he wasn't happy to be drafted by the Colts.  He was more upset at where he was drafted.  He was expecting to go in the first round or maybe the 2nd.  He was arguably the nation's best TE and he wasn't even the first TE taken.  I understand him being upset.  But I don't think he was unhappy with the Colts.

Thank you and believe me the feeling is mutual.

This is just a personal grievance for me. I remember being annoyed by Allen's reaction to us drafting him. Not that they need to be constantly compared, but I am gripped by Fleener's blog and how down to earth he is... I can't help but like him more. Neither player had any links to this team and both were going to play hard for whatever team that drafted them. But as a fan, you like to believe that the good players you draft, now consider themselves part of the team for life. I just don't have that feeling with Allen. Maybe I will in the future.

That being said I am in no way directing any distain for Allen's footballing ability, he is a huge player for us.

You know, I had the same feelings as JSkinnz on this, but as I read the article, I just couldn't swallow the whole...."it's the &^$% Colts. He was said to have been rude to the coaches in his call from the team. Does it mean that he is a bad person? No. Does it mean that he will be an issue when his contract comes around? Maybe. But what it does tell me, is that he has a place in his personality that lets his anger get beyond the importance of the moment. I still very much appreciate his contributions to the team, but I will not be a full fan of his personally until I see how he handles his next contract.

I agree with A.M. on this one.

Not sure if its been posted but ppl in the comments said the full article on indystar.com said he called the coaches and Jim the next day and apologized I personally am not mad at him as others have said he isn't mad at the colts it was he was disappointed that he fell to the 3rd not to mention we had just drafted coby right before him so he initially thought he wouldn't be playing much I'm sure

And I'm sure he's very happy that the colts drafted him cause he sees how great Luck is haha

IMO, D. Allen is and will continue to be a beast at TE. 

I understand why he was mad.  He went to the Combine as the top ranked TE and after he was either 2nd or 3rd depending on who you heard or read.  All because he ran a slow 40.  This dropped him out of the 1st round and by the draft, had moved him to the 3rd round.  Then he gets drafted by a team that had drafted a TE in the previous round.  I would have been mad as well.

He then went out on every opportunity he got and showed the FO, Coaches, and Fans why he should have been drafted higher.

I am glad he is on our team and hope he continues this season as last.