Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Apparently Mr. Allen wasn't happy with being drafted by us... (at first)

Indyfan4life

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Luck continues to progress as he should or likely will then even if Allen demands more money then what Grigs is willing to dish out or can dish out I dont see it a problem, just draft the next average TE and have Andrew (assuming he continues to progress) make a good or even great player out of him, With a great or even real good QB offensive players around him, like wr or Tight End can made to be better then what they really are

Problem is that Allen is looking like a future pro-bowler on his own.  Not exactly a guy we could just let go of.

But I think we may be looking too deep into this.  He came out with the understanding that he would go in the first or second rounds.  

Which basically means he goes from "I'm a rich" to "I'm well off" in terms of income.  

He cooled his jets, took it in stride and has worked hard and produced.  Barring injury he'll be due for a pretty big raise and those millions when his contract is up.   

It's plain and simple. He let his disappointment show a little too much(Expected for a male his age) and it got the best of him. He at least had the integrity to apologize after the fact and showed that 31 teams made a mistake by not picking him by performing for us. 

I don't blame him for feeling that way.  I would.  However, I do blame him for not reacting in a more positive way when he was finally drafted by the Colts.  Being rude to your new employer is not a good thing and shows a lack of self control IMO.  Afterall, it wasn't the Colts fault all the other teams passed him by the first two rounds.  Hopefully, a one time thing, he's matured and nothing comes of it.

I watched his youtube video of him at home during the draft and then getting the call from the Colts and he didn't look or act *, he acted happy. Must have taken acting in school for easy credits :}LOL I tried a while back to watch it again, but has been removed..... I also watched TY Hiltons video of being drafted and everybody was jumping for joy, him and his family knew how blessed they were :}

I too like to catch him on JMB radio program on 1070 in an interview and he really love being a Colts player and getting a chance in his rookie year to be in the playoffs while others picked ahead of him didn't get a sniff..... :}

Go Colts!!!!!

Go Grigson!!!!!

Can't wait till tomorrow at 8PM...... It's like Christmas Day for adults..... Woot Woot!!!!!

Trust me I wouldn't had liked the idea at first either, he was the all American and John Mackey winner. You were suppose to be a late1st early 2nd. Had private workouts with the Giants and they passed. The Colts just took a tight end in Fleener in round 2. All while I'm falling I'm losing millions in the process. Yea he was mad at losing money and potential less playing time because they had drafted Fleener.

Fans on the forum were saying the samething "why did we draft another tight end" pretty sure he was saying the samething. Heat of the moment He slept it off looked at the positives, now he plays with so much anger on the field, I say it made him better. When you hear him speak and hear him tell his stories from high school and college, he is a very humble guy and doesn't take anything for granted, and is always encouraging and hyping up his teammates, good locker room guy

I don't recall seeing him upset on his phone call when i saw it. That said I would be * to and motivated. He apologized however but I hold no grudges. He more than made up for it on the field. He showed everyone he was a first rd quality pick. I was thrilled we got him....however very upset we took Fleener. Allen was by far a more polished TE blocking and rt. running. I don't see how this will affect his resigning. He has the skills to be an elite te. If anyone should be upset it will be Fleener because he is the lesser of the two TEs and he will be the one likely to get the small contract (if at all another) when the two come up again. A fleeting moment of disappointment I won't hold against the guy....I would have probably felt or acted similarly. This wasn't breaking laws...just a lack of ettiquet. For someone growing up the way he did I can accept his apology. I am a really nice guy but I've made worse mistakes. Not going to hold it against him at all....and hope that chip motivates him more. I know I've been passed over for promotions and it made me excell even further....great story.

On top of the slip in the draft and being drafted behind Fleener, the elephant in the room might just be that he was concerned about joining a team that just went 2-14 and had just unceremoniously dumped its hall of fame QB, along with most of the experienced players left on the roster...

Most of the outsiders looking in (and a good many here on this forum) thought the Colts were in for a long and tortuous rebuilding process. Can anyone really blame Allen if that caused him some apprehension?

IMO, if he came off as selfish and immature right after the draft , his play on the field last year seemed the epitome of the team player to me.

Problem is that Allen is looking like a future pro-bowler on his own.  Not exactly a guy we could just let go of.

But I think we may be looking too deep into this.  He came out with the understanding that he would go in the first or second rounds.  

Which basically means he goes from "I'm a rich" to "I'm well off" in terms of income.  

He cooled his jets, took it in stride and has worked hard and produced.  Barring injury he'll be due for a pretty big raise and those millions when his contract is up.   

Agreed on all accounts EXCEPT that Allen is not looking like a future Pro Bowler on his own, If it wasn't for Luck playing Houdini countless times because he was playing without an O Line the majority of the year Allen would not have sniffed 45 catches 521 yards and probably not even 3 touchdowns, But its a bit of an old story in terms of how he feels now so I agree not a problem, But if Im him Im taking the mind set that everyone is replaceable to heart because if you have a franchise QB he can turn anyone into a good player or even great

Agreed on all accounts EXCEPT that Allen is not looking like a future Pro Bowler on his own, If it wasn't for Luck playing Houdini countless times because he was playing without an O Line the majority of the year Allen would not have sniffed 45 catches 521 yards and probably not even 3 touchdowns, But its a bit of an old story in terms of how he feels now so I agree not a problem, But if Im him Im taking the mind set that everyone is replaceable to heart because if you have a franchise QB he can turn anyone into a good player or even great

I know you love your stats, Gavin, but Allen's job, and reasons for exciting the fanbase with his play, extended well beyond catches, yards, or touchdowns.  The reason I feel like he exemplified a team player last year is that he was such a willing and capable blocker, and has recently commented on the radio about how glad he is that the team brought in a full back so he doesn't have to take as much physical punishment filling that role.

I know you love your stats, Gavin, but Allen's job, and reasons for exciting the fanbase with his play, extended well beyond catches, yards, or touchdowns. The reason I feel like he exemplified a team player last year is that he was such a willing and capable blocker, and has recently commented on the radio about how glad he is that the team brought in a full back so he doesn't have to take as much physical punishment filling that role.

He is a team first guy, he does whatever the team needs him to do

I know you love your stats, Gavin, but Allen's job, and reasons for exciting the fanbase with his play, extended well beyond catches, yards, or touchdowns.  The reason I feel like he exemplified a team player last year is that he was such a willing and capable blocker, and has recently commented on the radio about how glad he is that the team brought in a full back so he doesn't have to take as much physical punishment filling that role.

Allen is no stranger to blocking, He did it at Clemson some, Of course Allens play went beyond his stats. I have no problem with anything he has said either, I look forward to seeing him progressing as each passing year, he was a 3rd round pick so in my opinion it will take a little time. I was just making the point that if Luck had not turned into Houdini last year Allen would not have had the year he had statistically

Allen is no stranger to blocking, He did it at Clemson some, Of course Allens play went beyond his stats. I have no problem with anything he has said either, I look forward to seeing him progressing as each passing year, he was a 3rd round pick so in my opinion it will take a little time. I was just making the point that if Luck had not turned into Houdini last year Allen would not have had the year he had statistically

Couldn't you also say the same about Luck if his target all season was Saunders?

If Luck continues to progress as he should or likely will then even if Allen demands more money then what Grigs is willing to dish out or can dish out I dont see it a problem, just draft the next average TE and have Andrew (assuming he continues to progress) make a good or even great player out of him, With a great or even real good QB offensive players around him, like wr or Tight End can made to be better then what they really are

Andrew can't catch the balls that an average tight end drops. Allen is already a Pro Bowl talent who hopefully gets his share of targets. I hope we keep him.

I remember he made this clear at the time. This is why I am not as endeared by him as I am by Fleener, despite his obvious talent.

I see him being a huge problem come contract negotiation time.

Allen was head-over-shoulders more productive than Fleener in 2012. Fleener needs more work, but I think he'll shake out fine. In the end, Allen will be the more successful of the two, maybe by far. 

Andrew can't catch the balls that an average tight end drops. Allen is already a Pro Bowl talent who hopefully gets his share of targets. I hope we keep him.

I like Allen, but we're making him a Pro Bowler and a Hall of Famer a little prematurely. He had a pretty good season for a rookie tight end, but nothing spectacular in the grand scheme of things. Not Pro Bowl level, and certainly not Hall of Fame level. Let's pump the brakes a little.

Couldn't you also say the same about Luck if his target all season was Saunders?

Maybe but its entirely possible Luck could turn him into a 45 catch guy and 3 or maybe more td catches kind of TE to. Would not be the first time a QB turned an average TE into a receiving threat 

You know, I had the same feelings as JSkinnz on this, but as I read the article, I just couldn't swallow the whole...."it's the &^$% Colts. He was said to have been rude to the coaches in his call from the team. Does it mean that he is a bad person? No. Does it mean that he will be an issue when his contract comes around? Maybe. But what it does tell me, is that he has a place in his personality that lets his anger get beyond the importance of the moment. I still very much appreciate his contributions to the team, but I will not be a full fan of his personally until I see how he handles his next contract.

I agree with A.M. on this one.

You should read the Indy Star article.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130423/SPORTS03/304230089/Colts-TE-Dwayne-Allen-remembers-2012-draft-costing-him-1-million

Allen admits his phone etiquette was less than acceptable when the Colts called. It wasn’t any better when he chatted briefly with position coach Alfredo Roberts.

“I was very rude and nonchalant,” Allen said. “I definitely wasn’t expressing the gratitude and joy I should have at that moment.”

He went to bed angry and slept on it. The next morning, he knew he had to make amends. He dialed up Roberts.

“I apologized for my rudeness,” Allen said. “I told him I was ready to get to work and this was going to be the best pick you’ve ever made.

“It took me time to calm down and realize how much of a blessing it was just to get that phone call. How many guys are sitting at home and their phones didn’t ring?”

An earlier section kind of explains why he said "* it's the Colts," when Irsay was on the phone. It was because he expected the Giants to take him with the last pick in the second round. We took him one pick later, but that put him into the third round. He wasn't disappointed it was the Colts, he was disappointed it wasn't the Giants.

Allen was head-over-shoulders more productive than Fleener in 2012. Fleener needs more work, but I think he'll shake out fine. In the end, Allen will be the more successful of the two, maybe by far. 

Again, I never mentioned who was a better football player. My point is based purely on likability.

I don't blame him for being upset in the moment. It's easy to say he handled it poorly and that he should have been grateful the entire time, but lets be real here. Ain't nobody gonna be happy about going later than what people expected you to go after having a great season like he did, after putting in all the work he did. I'd be a bit bitter at first and all the teams that passed on me would likely have a target on their back that isn't going away for a long time. If that doesn't give a reason for someone to play angry I don't know what will. He at least owned up to his behavior the next day so that's always good. I can't blame him for acting the way he did, cause I know I'd probably have acted in a similar fashion. Only thing different might have been that phone call, but you can bet I'd have gone to bed angry at every NFL that didn't draft me and be ready to beat every single one of them when facing them.

Allen averaged 5.57 YAC.

The league leader in YAC averaged 5.97.

Maybe some people should give him a little more credit than being, "average".

That's one heck of a cherry picked stat.

Among tight ends, he was 22nd in catches, 21st in yards, 23rd in touchdowns, 16th in first downs... That might actually be below average.

Obviously it doesn't tell the whole story. But it does show he fight for extra yards and gets them.

Would you prefer his drop rate?

2 drops on 66 targets for a 3% drop rate. Less than 1/5th that of our 2nd and 3rd leading receivers.

I'm not trying to paint him as a pro-bowl player or anything yet, but IMO he's better than "average"

Well, he should be happy he didn't go to the Giants they didn't even make the playoffs. How embarrassing is it for the defending world champs to not even make the playoffs the following season?

Kept telling people the only time the Giants do well is when Tom Coughlin is on the verge of being fired

It great that you know him intimately, and can see the future.

Okay, let me clarify my position saying you react like I just insulted your mother.

I do not dislike Allen by any means, in fact I love him as a player. But I was annoyed by his reaction to the Colts drafting him. Sure he was disappointed, but I think he acted very unprofessionally and disrespectful to people who had just invested a lot of money in him and given him a career. I realize he made amends for this the next day.... but, he is still maintaining he hates the draft. If he had come out and said that he had a bad draft experience, but things worked out great in the end and it was a blessing, then I'd be fine with that. But he said he was lucky to get a call when others did not. Now to me that does not scream "I am happy with how things worked out and with this team". Instead it says to me that he is still hung up on not getting more money despite the fact that he was given more opportunities than most due to the faith the Colts placed in their offensive rookies. I acknowledge that he is active and personable in the media, but I still do not get the feeling he is 100% happy with how things worked out.

On the other hand, Fleener was disappointed at not going in the first, especially when the Giants told him they would be taking him if he was there, but he took it on the chin, acted professionally and was happy the be with the Colts. It just makes him more endearing to me than Allen as a Colts fan, sorry if that strikes a nerve with some.

What it also says to me is that come contract time, Allen may go to the highest bidder in an attempt to get what he feels is his worth. I would not blame him for this, but it may not be good for the Colts.

I may be in a minority here and a few  people whose opinion I respected greatly on here may not agree but its how I feel on this.

Right now he is average, He has the talent to be very very good, who knows, maybe even great but right now 1 year into the league.....and only 1 year.....plenty of time for growth as a player and am individual.....average. Nothing at all wrong with that, Allen had a better year then Dallas Clark, Jimmy Graham (catch wise and yards) and did I mention Tony Gonzalez.......and we all know how well he turned out, Plenty of time for Allen to grow, the talent is there and the same goes for Fleener

Among tight ends, he was 22nd in catches, 21st in yards, 23rd in touchdowns, 16th in first downs... That might actually be below average.

From a statistical standpoint it was below average, from an actual ability standpoint he's above average. He wasn't nearly targeted as much as some of those guys above him.

Witten: 147 targets

Graham: 135 targets

Gonzo: 125 targets

Olsen: 104 targets

Miller: 104 targets

Myers: 105 targets

Gronk: 79 targets

Gresham: 94 targets

Daniels: 104 targets

Celek: 89 targets

Pitta: 94 targets

Finley: 86 targets

Bennet: 90 targets

Pettigrew: 102 targets

ect......

Allen: 66 targets

And he's a better blocker than 3/4ths of the people on that list.

He'll have a breakout year next year in an offense that utilizes tight-ends more than Arian's did.

Obviously it doesn't tell the whole story. But it does show he fight for extra yards and gets them.

Would you prefer his drop rate?

2 drops on 66 targets for a 3% drop rate. Less than 1/5th that of our 2nd and 3rd leading receivers.

I'm not trying to paint him as a pro-bowl player or anything yet, but IMO he's better than "average"

We can project what he's going to be, or talk about how hard he plays, but right now, his production is decidedly average. And his production is the least subjective analysis we can use.

I like Allen, and I think he's going to be a really good player for us. But that doesn't change what he is right now.

I understand his being upset, but frankly it makes no sense for him to take it out on the Colts. He should have been thrilled beyond belief with the phone call and saved his anger for the 31 teams that DIDN'T take him. If he had said he was angry because the Colts had already drafted Fleener that would be a "little" bit different. In either case self-control is paramount when speaking to your employer - particularly for the first time.

That being said, considering the comments others have made about the video of his phone call, his definition of "rude" may be different than the next guys - which would be a good thing. He may well have acted the same or better than 1/2 the guys drafted, but been embarrassed that he wasn't "himself". Whereas the other guys might just have been a bit "off" on the phone out of routine ignorance and not regretted it for a second.

Like all athletes, the guy is competitive and was angry at a perceived snub by the entire league.  If anything it show's he's hungry.  And not terrified of being politically incorrect and honest.  

I like him even more now.

Well, he should be happy he didn't go to the Giants they didn't even make the playoffs. How embarrassing is it for the defending world champs to not even make the playoffs the following season?

Kept telling people the only time the Giants do well is when Tom Coughlin is on the verge of being fired

Well they did go 9-7, not bad, tough to get in the playoffs that way consistently though, the goal is to get into the playoffs and ultimately win the SB obviously but 9-7 meh thats gonna happen sometimes

From a statistical standpoint it was below average, from an actual ability standpoint he's above average. He wasn't nearly targeted as much as some of those guys above him.

Witten: 147 targets

Graham: 135 targets

Gonzo: 125 targets

Olsen: 104 targets

Miller: 104 targets

Myers: 105 targets

Gronk: 79 targets

Gresham: 94 targets

Daniels: 104 targets

Celek: 89 targets

Pitta: 94 targets

Finley: 86 targets

Bennet: 90 targets

Pettigrew: 102 targets

ect......

Allen: 66 targets

He'll have a breakout year next year in an offense that utilizes tight-ends more than Arian's did.

Maybe. I don't know what his usage rate would be, or what his catch percentage is.

[philsimmsvoice]I like eem. I think he's gonna be a good player in this league.[/philsimmsvoice]

I just think Pro Bowl talk is premature at this point. Protests against calling him average seems misplaced.

Maybe. I don't know what his usage rate would be, or what his catch percentage is.

[philsimmsvoice]I like eem. I think he's gonna be a good player in this league.[/philsimmsvoice]

I just think Pro Bowl talk is premature at this point. Protests against calling him average seems misplaced.

My point being that I'm not going to judge him of off some broad spectrum of stats because he was being mis-used (or underutilized) in Arian's sytem. 

I wouldn't call Vernon Davis average when he's 17th in yards, 11 in TDs and 27th in catches, because was only targeted 61 times.

My point being that I'm not going to judge him of off some broad spectrum of stats because he was being mis-used (or underutilized) in Arian's sytem. 

I wouldn't call Vernon Davis average when he's 17th in yards, 11 in TDs and 27th in catches, because was only targeted 61 times.

Bad comparison. Vernon Davis has a 78 catch, 13 touchdown performance on his resume. And other years that were better than Allen's 2012.

I agree that Allen was underutilized last year, but like I said, his numbers are the least subjective measurement we can make. Projections and the way he was used and all that are well and good, but his numbers are what they are.

I like your references. 

I read this while looking at George Costanza, and I could hear his voice saying it :D

Also-- maybe I'm reading too deeply into it, but do you have Costanza as your avatar because people CONSTANTLY refer to Castonzo as "Costanza" on this forum and on game day commentaries?

Another tight end who needs to see more passing downs is Dwayne Allen. Allen had a monster rookie season and finished second in our tight end grading. He was also left in to block 60% of the time-Pro Football Focus

Football Outsiders have him 9th in their rankings of tight ends

youre not really claiming this insight as your own are you? every mouth piece at ESPN and NFL network throw out that gem every chance they get