Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does anyone know if Fluker has potential to play guard if Cooper is gone at 24?

I tried to find info if he could play guard and couldn't find anything...Also, is Cherilous at guard and Fluker at RT a possibility? I'm not familiar with them in terms of their versatility to play multiple positions, but I know Fluker is a very good tackle and if he's there and we go need at O-line and he's the best O-lineman available to you take him or reach for Warford which I am against if we don't trade back.

I would not mind seeing him brought in as our RG. There are other prospects I'd rather get in the first, but he's about 4th on my target list if I were Grigson. His weakness seems to be speed rushers around the edge, and being a little bit slow off the snap at times. He is a mauler in its truest form, so a move inside would probably suit him well. I have no doubts he would be an excellent guard, the only problem is I'm not a big fan of drafting a guard in the first.

To answer the question about Cherilus; I would not move him to guard. He is a pass protecting OT, lacking in the nastiness you need in run blocking. Moving inside would hurt him as he is more of a finesse player.

we signed Cherilous to play RT.  I do not see any sense in moving him to guard. 

They won't and there won't even be any consideration given to it. Cherilus is a RT and I also don't understand why anybody would draft a OT in the 1st rd. to move him to guard when there will be a higher rated true guard sitting there for the taking(Warford). It would just never happen.

I believe he can, if Grigson and Pep feel he can play guard in the scheme. I for one wouldn't be against the pick. He looks good from what I see. He could start at RG and be the backup RT if Cherilus has problems with an injury and Joe Reitz fills in at guard. Two for one instead of Linkenbach filling in at RT if Cherilus goes down

I would not mind seeing him brought in as our RG. There are other prospects I'd rather get in the first, but he's about 4th on my target list if I were Grigson. His weakness seems to be speed rushers around the edge, and being a little bit slow off the snap at times. He is a mauler in its truest form, so a move inside would probably suit him well. I have no doubts he would be an excellent guard, the only problem is I'm not a big fan of drafting a guard in the first.

To answer the question about Cherilus; I would not move him to guard. He is a pass protecting OT, lacking in the nastiness you need in run blocking. Moving inside would hurt him as he is more of a finesse player.

Cherilus is actually an above average run blocker

Cherilus is actually an above average run blocker

Just to drive your point home; when running towards the right side (Cherilus's side):

Leshoure averaged 4.4 YPC and Bell averaged 5.4 YPC. Those are pretty solid numbers.

He isn't worth 24 at all. He is a run blocker only.

He's a bit of a work in progress but he has huge potential.

Evidently , not everyone agrees with you.....

8332.jpg

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, Alabama RT D.J. Fluker is "one of true rising players in draft."

Fluker is universally considered a first-round talent, but questions about his athleticism have some projecting him as a guard. Checking in at 6-foot-5, Fluker has shed 16 pounds from his Senior Bowl weight of 355. According to NBC Sports' Ross Tucker, at least one team picking in the top-ten "loves" Fluker.
Apr 8 - 

Kiper said a long time ago that he expected 2 players to rise right before the draft.  Barkley was one and Fluker was the other....lo and behold you are seeing Fluker's name all over the place and rising in mocks.  I think he goes in the first round.

I think Fluker is a 1st rounder.    This week Kiper called him one of the best RT's in the draft in more than 20 years.

I don't think he'll last to the 2nd.....

I appreciate that many teams do not target a RT for the 1st round...  heck, most teams don't....   but it only takes one...  and I think there are more than one that will be willing to take Fluker. 

HIs feet aren't great, but I think they're being over-stated to the downside here....  he's got incredibly long and strong arms.... and an amazingly wide body....   He should be a very good NFL right tackle for years....

Just my view of things...

I would not move Cherilus inside. However, I was under the impression that he has an extreme amount of nastiness.

Any T can move inside and play G.    In fact that happens A LOT.

I tried to find info if he could play guard and couldn't find anything...Also, is Cherilous at guard and Fluker at RT a possibility? I'm not familiar with them in terms of their versatility to play multiple positions, but I know Fluker is a very good tackle and if he's there and we go need at O-line and he's the best O-lineman available to you take him or reach for Warford which I am against if we don't trade back.

Any T can move inside and play G.    In fact that happens A LOT.

I know it happens a lot when guys get hurt, but there are players who excel at both and I wanted to know if Fluker could do that in time....Warford is absolutely not a first  RD pick, and I also heard Kiper say Fluker was 1 of the best RT's in years so I just wondered if he is a better value if he can effectively play guard and fill in at Tackle in case of injuries or if he is better than Cherilous switch it...I'm only saying this scenario if the colts are dead set at going O-line in the first if and Cooper is gone..I hope they go rush OLB , Hunt , or the dreaded Lacy if Cooper is gone personally which I know isn't popular...

They won't and there won't even be any consideration given to it. Cherilus is a RT and I also don't understand why anybody would draft a OT in the 1st rd. to move him to guard when there will be a higher rated true guard sitting there for the taking(Warford). It would just never happen.

A lot of the good guards in the league were tackles in college; Evan Mathis, Marshal Yanda, Carl Nicks, etc. Teams draft OTs and turn them into OGs all the time, so I'm not sure why you say it would never happen. Fluker has all the measurables and style to be a very strong guard, and he is definitely a better player than Warford. No way Grigson drafts Warford over Fluker.

A lot of the good guards in the league were tackles in college; Evan Mathis, Marshal Yanda, Carl Nicks, etc. Teams draft OTs and turn them into OGs all the time, so I'm not sure why you say it would never happen. Fluker has all the measurables and style to be a very strong guard, and he is definitely a better player than Warford. No way Grigson drafts Warford over Fluker.

I'm saying, a team is not going to pick the top RT in the 1st rd. and move him to guard when Warford will be sitting there with a 1st rd. grade and he's the epitome of true RG and yes, there's a good possibility that Grigson would pick Warford over Fluker because we do not need a RT.

How do you know Fluker is better than Warford at OG? He hasn't played it in college, whereas Warford has.

The point being, if you're going to pick someone for the OG position at the 24 spot, you don't pick a RT and pray he works out at guard when there's a battle-tested, proven OG available.

The question was can he play Guard and the answer is a resounding yes. His pass blocking fell of last year but the kid is still a monster.

Going into the NFL, run blocking is Fluker's biggest strength. He is an absolute road grader who rides defensive linemen around the field and blasts open running lanes. The Crimson Tide had a ton of success running behind him every year, but especially in 2012. Fluker is a fiery leader who set the tone for his line. He plays with a mean streak and is very physical with defenders. When Fluker gets his hands on a defender in run blocking, that player is done.

It is obvious that Fluker has to improve his pass blocking. He needs to get better technique and faster in his drops. The junior has some quickness and athleticism, so it doesn't make sense for him to have such heavy feet. Fluker really struggles with speed-rushers coming around the corner or darting to the inside. That blocking technique is going to need a lot of work or he could be a weak link as a pass-protector.

If Fluker doesn't improve his pass protection, some NFL teams will probably want him to move to guard, especially if they feature pass-happy offenses. He could be an excellent guard in the NFL, so that reduces the risk associated with using a draft pick on him. It wouldn't be surprising if Fluker has a good performance at the NFL Scouting Combine to improve his draft stock and regain some first-round consideration. He currently looks like a lock for the second day and a likely second-round pick.

How do you know Fluker is better than Warford at OG? He hasn't played it in college, whereas Warford has.

The point being, if you're going to pick someone for the OG position at the 24 spot, you don't pick a RT and pray he works out at guard when there's a battle-tested, proven OG available.

It's all about scheme and fit.  There are many talented OG in college that are pitiful in the pros.  There are many talented OT in college that are terrible in the pros.  It all depends on scheme, effort, and ability of the player.

When it comes to Warford vs Fluker at OG, the only guy who knows whether they'll fit is the offensive coordinator and the offensive line coach.  It's a tossup really.

In the end, I would not be against drafting a T or G prospect if the coach/gm/whomever determines that he is a good fit from the important categories.  What position he played in college is not necessarily the most meaningful.

Thank you! The thought of playing Cherilus at guard is nauseating. Why in the world would we make Cherilus the 2nd highest paid right tackle in the NFL (5 year/34 mil) to move him over to guard, where we could have selected one of the top ones available for nearly the same or cheaper price (Levitre 5 year/39 mil or Vasquez 5 year/23.5 mil)?!? Cherilus is our starting right tackle without question. IF we draft Fluker, I would imagine he would simply be Cherilus's backup. I highly doubt he gets moved to guard either. 

Thank you! The thought of playing Cherilus at guard is nauseating. Why in the world would we make Cherilus the 2nd highest paid right tackle in the NFL (5 year/34 mil) to move him over to guard, where we could have selected one of the top ones available for nearly the same or cheaper price (Levitre 5 year/39 mil or Vasquez 5 year/23.5 mil)?!? Cherilus is our starting right tackle without question. IF we draft Fluker, I would imagine he would simply be Cherilus's backup. I highly doubt he gets moved to guard either. 

Yeah, there are a lot of times on this forum where I just have to wonder if some would stop, think and for a second, interject a little common sense into their thinking, that many of these kinds of posts could be avoided. There is just absolutely ZERO chance that Cherilus would be moved to guard, and there is also pretty much ZERO chance we pick the top RT in the 1st rd. and then move him to guard when there is a higher graded RG that fits our scheme to a T that should be available when we pick. A little thought and common sense should have told anybody this.

The question was can he play Guard and the answer is a resounding yes. His pass blocking fell of last year but the kid is still a monster.

How is that a resounding yes?  He's never played guard.

Granted, he probably would make a good guard, but in the end, you really don't know.  And in the end, that makes him a project.  Do you really want to spend your 1st round pick on a project?

He probably could play Guard, But the 1st round is not for probably type of players(there is more then one of those expected to go in the first round this year) especially when we dont even have a definite starting Guard on the roster

Yeah, there are a lot of times on this forum where I just have to wonder if some would stop, think and for a second, interject a little common sense into their thinking, that many of these kinds of posts could be avoided. There is just absolutely ZERO chance that Cherilus would be moved to guard, and there is also pretty much ZERO chance we pick the top RT in the 1st rd. and then move him to guard when there is a higher graded RG that fits our scheme to a T that should be available when we pick. A little thought and common sense should have told anybody this.

Not exactly sold on Cherilous, people in Detroit aren't exactly crying about the loss...People there wanted him cut a few years ago...He was good last few years but Fluker is better...Warford is a mid-2nd rounder , y would you use a 1st rd pick on him??? I want BPA if Cooper isn't there, and Warford def isn't close to BPA...We can get a guy of Warfords caliber in the 3rd so Y would you spend a 1st?? I said Fluker if Cooper isn't available and they insist on going O-line...As you have seen their are scouts who say Fluker has great potential as Guard which is what I wanted to know when I started this post and he can play tackle...So where did you get I wanted Cherilous to be moved to guard?? I asked if he had potential at Guard which I gather he doesn't while Fluker does. So keep Cherilous at RT and bring Fluker as a G if they reach for O-line I'd rather reach for Fluker than Warford any day of the week.