Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does anyone know if Fluker has potential to play guard if Cooper is gone at 24?

He probably could play Guard, But the 1st round is not for probably type of players(there is more then one of those expected to go in the first round this year) especially when we dont even have a definite starting Guard on the roster

This is going to come as a terrible surprise to Grigson and Pagano....   especially since they went out and got Thomas....

I wonder if they know this??    Hmmm??????

How is that a resounding yes?  He's never played guard.

Granted, he probably would make a good guard, but in the end, you really don't know.  And in the end, that makes him a project.  Do you really want to spend your 1st round pick on a project?

Not exactly sold on Cherilous, people in Detroit aren't exactly crying about the loss...People there wanted him cut a few years ago...He was good last few years but Fluker is better...Warford is a mid-2nd rounder , y would you use a 1st rd pick on him??? I want BPA if Cooper isn't there, and Warford def isn't close to BPA...We can get a guy of Warfords caliber in the 3rd so Y would you spend a 1st?? I said Fluker if Cooper isn't available and they insist on going O-line...As you have seen their are scouts who say Fluker has great potential as Guard which is what I wanted to know when I started this post and he can play tackle...So where did you get I wanted Cherilous to be moved to guard?? I asked if he had potential at Guard which I gather he doesn't while Fluker does. So keep Cherilous at RT and bring Fluker as a G if they reach for O-line I'd rather reach for Fluker than Warford any day of the week.

How is that a resounding yes?  He's never played guard.

Granted, he probably would make a good guard, but in the end, you really don't know.  And in the end, that makes him a project.  Do you really want to spend your 1st round pick on a project?

So your saying you'd rather spend your 1st round pick on a mid-2nd round talent?? If we trade back and get Warford it's 1 thing but not at 24..That does'nt make good sense, reaching for a need rarely pays off...

This is going to come as a terrible surprise to Grigson and Pagano....   especially since they went out and got Thomas....

Agree...Thomas is solid and a starter for sure and proved so when he started on 1 of the best o-lines in the league.

Not exactly sold on Cherilous, people in Detroit aren't exactly crying about the loss...People there wanted him cut a few years ago...He was good last few years but Fluker is better...Warford is a mid-2nd rounder , y would you use a 1st rd pick on him??? I want BPA if Cooper isn't there, and Warford def isn't close to BPA...We can get a guy of Warfords caliber in the 3rd so Y would you spend a 1st?? I said Fluker if Cooper isn't available and they insist on going O-line...As you have seen their are scouts who say Fluker has great potential as Guard which is what I wanted to know when I started this post and he can play tackle...So where did you get I wanted Cherilous to be moved to guard?? I asked if he had potential at Guard which I gather he doesn't while Fluker does. So keep Cherilous at RT and bring Fluker as a G if they reach for O-line I'd rather reach for Fluker than Warford any day of the week.

If you're not sold on Cherilus, thats your choice, but he is now the 2nd highest paid RT in the NFL, so he isn't moving to guard. Warford has a higher grade than Fluker on NFL.com. He has a mid to late 1st rd. grade and is even higher graded than Cooper. Don't fall into the trap of just regurgitating information from the fellow forum posters that just repeat what others say. Some don't agree with the grade but I'm trusting the guy's that do this for a living. Hers' the grades to check out for yourself...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/larry-warford?id=2539248

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/d.j.-fluker?id=2540166

If you're not sold on Cherilus, thats your choice, but he is now the 2nd highest paid RT in the NFL, so he isn't moving to guard. Warford has a higher grade than Fluker on NFL.com. He has a mid to late 1st rd. grade and is even higher graded than Cooper. Don't fall into the trap of just regurgitating information from the fellow forum posters that just repeat what others say. Some don't agree with the grade but I'm trusting the guy's that do this for a living. Hers' the grades to check out for yourself...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/larry-warford?id=2539248

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/d.j.-fluker?id=2540166

I've heard the NFL.com nonsense, and I never regurgitate...I've looked at the tape and made my decision on that.

I've heard the NFL.com nonsense, and I never regurgitate...I've looked at the tape and made my decision on that.

Cooper is head and shoulders above Warford, it's not even close, if you watch tape of them both you will see for yourself.

Well, no offense, but you don't get paid tons of money for your talent evaluating skills and these guy's do. They have yrs. of experience and I'll trust them over anybody on this forum or myself for that matter. 

Well, no offense, but you don't get paid tons of money for your talent evaluating skills and these guy's do. They have yrs. of experience and I'll trust them over anybody on this forum or myself for that matter. 

We don't even know who writes those.

Cooper is head and shoulders above Warford, it's not even close, if you watch tape of them both you will see for yourself.

I agree somewhat. I do think Cooper is more talented, but I also think Warford fits our scheme better. I'm sure Cooper could also excel in our scheme but overall, Warford is the better scheme fit and I believe he's heads and shoulders above Fluker especially if were talking about moving Fluker to guard to which nobody knows if he'll be any good or not. I do not always agree with the grades either, but I'm not a professional talent evaluator so I'm sure I miss things that the experts look for. People here have no clue what all goes into the evaluation process and are just taking a guess essentially on who's going to be good or not. 

I agree somewhat. I do think Cooper is more talented, but I also think Warford fits our scheme better. I'm sure Cooper could also excel in our scheme but overall, Warford is the better scheme fit and I believe he's heads and shoulders above Fluker especially if were talking about moving Fluker to guard to which nobody knows if he'll be any good or not. I do not always agree with the grades either, but I'm not a professional talent evaluator so I'm sure I miss things that the experts look for. People here have no clue what all goes into the evaluation process and are just taking a guess essentially on who's going to be good or not. 

Yep..it's all a crap shoot in truth..There will be 10 different opinions from 10 different experts..That's why I just go by what I see with my own eyeball test. You feel Warford is better, and if we take him and it works i'll be all for it..

Yep..it's all a crap shoot in truth..There will be 10 different opinions from 10 different experts..That's why I just go by what I see with my own eyeball test. You feel Warford is better, and if we take him and it works i'll be all for it..

Now, if I had the choice to pick Cooper or Warford, I would pick Cooper, but if he is gone and I'm sure he will be, I wouldn't have any problem drafting Warford. Who knows though, Grigson could take somebody most haven't even talked about.

Now, if I had the choice to pick Cooper or Warford, I would pick Cooper, but if he is gone and I'm sure he will be, I wouldn't have any problem drafting Warford. Who knows though, Grigson could take somebody most haven't even talked about.

Kind of what I'm thinking too, and then we will all be complaining about it, probably take a damn TE...

We will see, there is a difference in actually starting at Guard and actually looking good doing it, Thomas is a big improvement over what we had last year no question about that but I still have questions about him, some act as if having doubts about someone or having questions about a player is a crime, regardless those questions will be answered soon enough

We will see, there is a difference in actually starting at Guard and actually looking good doing it, Thomas is a big improvement over what we had last year no question about that but I still have questions about him, some act as if having doubts about someone or having questions about a player is a crime, regardless those questions will be answered soon enough

You didn't say you have some questions or doubt....

Your quote was that the Colts don't have a starting caliber guard on the roster.

That two very, very different things.......    if you're changing, or amending that view now -- fine.   

But that wasn't your original view....

Irsay himself said we nabbed about 6 starters through free agency.  Thomas is absolutely one of them.

As far as Fluker, if you did pick him, he could start at guard and then play RT if Cherilus gets injured.  Can Warford play RT?   I personally don't think we get either one of them.

Irsay himself said we nabbed about 6 starters through free agency. Thomas is absolutely one of them.

As far as Fluker, if you did pick him, he could start at guard and then play RT if Cherilus gets injured. Can Warford play RT? I personally don't think we get either one of them.

Exactly what I said earlier about Fluker

Fluker missed only 11 assignments in 729 snaps. He had but two penalties.

Fluker had 33 pancake blocks, allowed but four sacks in 267 pass attempts and blocked for eight of the 23 individual 100-yard rushing performances he saw during his career.

That teammates called on him was odd since he considers himself a vocal, emotional presence. His normal chatter to an opposing lineman?

"I say I'm here to come take your lunch money," said Fluker. "I'm vocal. I feel emotion. That's me, (an) emotional leader."

Fluker has a specific incentive on every play.

"The funnest (thing) is knocking a defensive end down. Dominate on every single play. Let 'em know that that ball's coming right behind me.

"I ain't that guy (who will take a play off). I'm gonna let you know early, I ain't the one. That's the main thing. You've got to be aggressive playing offensive line."

Fluker played against Georgia in the SEC Championship game at 339 pounds. He weighed 355 at the Senior Bowl before dropping back to 339 for the combine in late February.

"That's something I did on my own, working out every day, six days a week, seven hours a day," said Fluker. "It feels great, trimming down, slimming down. It's kind of a mindset you've got to have, to lose weight. I feel better for it. I feel a lot more mobile and moving better."

"My passion for the game (is what I bring)," said Fluker. "I bring energy to the table every day, every practice, weekends, on game day. That's what I do. My strengths are run-blocking. I'm trying to fine-tune every technique of my game.

"Any team that wants to win a championship, any team that wants to win every Sunday, that's the best type of team that I want to go to, the team that has the attitude of, '(We) will not be denied.' The guys that want to go out there and actually work hard, that actually want to do something, do something special - go to the Super Bowl, win a championship. That's the type of team that I want to be a part of."

Fluker does not mind playing tackle or guard. Wherever he plays, it will be with passion.

"I'm always like that," said Fluker. "I'm the high-energy guy on that (Alabama) team and people know that. In the SEC championship game, me and my right guard, we showed that.

"There's no time to relax. Every day to me is a work day. The way I feel, me as a person, I want to be the Ray Lewis of my offensive line."

A colts.com piece on Fluker

You didn't say you have some questions or doubt....

Your quote was that the Colts don't have a starting caliber guard on the roster.

That two very, very different things.......    if you're changing, or amending that view now -- fine.   

But that wasn't your original view....

I said that? read it again........I said DEFINITE starting Guard which implies that I have questions or should imply that, because I do

I said that? read it again........I said DEFINITE starting Guard which implies that I have questions or should imply that, because I do

OK....     I don't see how adding the word DEFINITE changes anything....   bottom line, Grigson went out and bought Thomas and plans him to be our starting left guard.    Your comment was that you don't think the team has a DEFINITE starting guard on the roster.    I quipped that I'm sure this will come as a surprise to Grigson and Pagano.

And here we are....

Either way,  no biggie....   Two weeks from today is the Big Deal....

OK....     I don't see how adding the word DEFINITE changes anything....   bottom line, Grigson went out and bought Thomas and plans him to be our starting left guard.    Your comment was that you don't think the team has a DEFINITE starting guard on the roster.    I quipped that I'm sure this will come as a surprise to Grigson and Pagano.

And here we are....

Either way,  no biggie....   Two weeks from today is the Big Deal....

definite in the context I used it is that yes he is going to be one of our starting Guards, How well he will do in that role has yet to be determined, Thats what I mean, apologize for the confusion, There is some things I like about Thomas and other things not so much

If we can't get one of the top two OG's, I'd like to see us sign Clabo, an experienced OT and OG. This should provide the security for our ASSET and possibly give our interior line an opportunity play together as a unit for the next three years. During that time, we have the luxury to rebuild both the OL & DL with 3 through 7 picks & FA pickups as opportunities present themselves. Meanwhile we're free to pursue Mathis's replacement in the first round, which I think may occur anyway and involve a trade-up.

If we can't get one of the top two OG's, or trade-up for the Mathis replacement, I think we'll draft an OT who can play RG and RT. Although, I'd rather have Clabo protecting our ASSET that an untested draftee except for the top quality talent.