Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where would Fleener rank among this yrs tight ends in the draft?

GoodLuck

Why? Are you one of those that are ready to give up on Fleener after his rookie yr.? Not to many rookie TE's make much of an impact their rookie season's. Fleener more than likely would have been ranked higher than any TE in this yrs. draft.

Waited for whom this year? Eifert wouldn't be there for us, unless you think we'll pull the trigger at 24. That would be madness with the glaring holes elsewhere. Even if we hadn't taken Fleener in the 2nd and say had taken a OLD pass rusher/CB etc etc, there would be bigger holes than TE this year. 

As for the comparison, somewhere below Eifert but above Ertz. 

Waited for whom this year? Eifert wouldn't be there for us, unless you think we'll pull the trigger at 24. That would be madness with the glaring holes elsewhere. Even if we hadn't taken Fleener in the 2nd and say had taken a OLD pass rusher/CB etc etc, there would be bigger holes than TE this year. 

As for the comparison, somewhere below Eifert but above Ertz. 

Very good points by Balzer and Steel City......starting the day with no likes...I apologize.....

The Colts got who they wanted for the Arians offense LAST year.  We would NOT have been 11-5 without the TE play of Allen and YES Fleener.  I looked like an * when I said Fleener first.....and then when I saw Allen still available I said we would grab him too.  I was actually right for a change :)

I do not think Eifert is any better than Fleener and I watched a ton of film on Fleener and most of Eifert's games....I love them both!  

Fleener will have a big year barring injuries.  The comfort zone of Pep is here...familiar plays....a second year...the sky is the limit!!  

Lastly Fleener was picked at 34, and I see Eifert going about the same or even falling to the second round.  So many good solid big fellas to be had IMO...... :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :colts:  :colts:  :colts: !!!

I just don't understand the "knocks" on Fleener on this forum. Stop feeding so much into where a player was drafted. They can't control when their name is called. Allen won the TE of the year trophy yet he went all the way to the 3rd round behind Fleener. Rookie year, he did fairly decent. Now he's in his old offense, he'll do fine this year

These "Knowledgeable" posters think Rookies should be competing for Pro Bowls in year one, when actually not that many rookies drafted out of the first 100 are really good in year one.

A look back at the 2012 1st rd draft. Just opinion of course, just a reminder of the falibility of the draft.
http://www.indystar.com/article/20130302/SPORTS02/302280089/Damon-Bailey-wouldn-t-change-anything-?odyssey=obinsite

Two OLB pass rushers were taken ahead of Jerry Hughes, at 11 & 16. NEITHER did Anything in yr one. One got to play in yr two and did ok.
 It is a COMMON saying that you look back in three years to examine how good a draft was. Not so much HERE!

In our Playoff game I watched my QB throw a Garbage pass towards Reggie at the Goal line as his 6'6" TE was one on one and behind his defender straight in front of him.  That Over targeting BULL went on ALL season.

It was pointed out to me that a lot of star tight ends had pedestrian rookie years.  So the jury is still out on Fleener.  If he doesn't come on a little bit this year, then it could be a bad sign.  

But we shouldn't over-react to his lack of production this year.  

There's no worry. He has the size, speed and strength of a great Tight End. And it's not like he hasn't had production. In college his numbers were on par with Gronk. Expect Fleener to progress into a top tight end in the coming years. A lot of tight ends struggle their rookie year. No need to worry. The Fleener and Allen combo will be a force to reckon with for years... I surely hope so and think so at least. 

He'd be #1..... who in this Draft is even "relevant" at the TE position??? TE is probably the LEAST important Position right before QB.

QB & TE are imo the weakest parts in the draft this year

Tyler Eifert is a beast. He would be rated over fleener

just now in your twitter:

I think now that he realized he was drafted. So this year he will play.                                                          just kidding :)

#ICanHonestlySay I couldn't have been drafted into a better situation (including 1st Rnd). Great Guys, Coaches, Owner, etc. Go@nflcolts!

Fleener would be somewhere in the top 3 along with Eifert and Ertz.

I don't know if he'd be 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.

I expect Eifert to go in the bottom 3rd of the 1st round and I expect Ertz to go in the top 3rd of the 2nd round,  where Fleener went.

But now you've got Fleener with a year of experience under his belt.   And his upside is quite high.

Fleener would be somewhere in the top 3 along with Eifert and Ertz.

I don't know if he'd be 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.

I expect Eifert to go in the bottom 3rd of the 1st round and I expect Ertz to go in the top 3rd of the 2nd round,  where Fleener went.

But now you've got Fleener with a year of experience under his belt.   And his upside is quite high.

... and here he is with Andrew Luck and Pep Hamilton!

just now in your twitter:

I think now that he realized he was drafted. So this year he will play.                                                          just kidding :)

#ICanHonestlySay I couldn't have been drafted into a better situation (including 1st Rnd). Great Guys, Coaches, Owner, etc. Go@nflcolts!

Coby was reading ColtsForum....HA HA!  Just kidding but funny timing...:)

Do you like him THAT much better jvan?  I know his blocking was better in college....I am a huge ND follower too.  Just asking your opinion!!

One thing is for sure, Eifert and Luck together would have been fun....

Do you like him THAT much better jvan? I know his blocking was better in college....I am a huge ND follower too. Just asking your opinion!!

One thing is for sure, Eifert and Luck together would have been fun....

Eifert was the best player on that offense last year, and he was double teamed a lot

Eifert will go in the first

Who do you think gets him?  The most recent mock I say had him going second round...10th or 11th.  Miami was one i saw.

I reall feel like he could with all of the OL, DT/OLB and CB talent.  A team really has to have a NEED for TE anymore it seems.

I can't speak for others, but I felt I didn't see any "flashes" from Fleener this year. Sure it's not his fault he was taken so high, but he will be judged accordingly. I don't think anyone was realistically expecting a PB caliber rookie year from Fleener, and if someone ways, it was there fault, but again I personally cannot recall a single play where Fleener "stood out" or I thought to myself "man that's why we drafted him!!" Could all of that change in the coming years? Absolutely. But with Allen, I think we all saw some pretty positive things, Fleener not so much.

I can't speak for others, but I felt I didn't see any "flashes" from Fleener this year. Sure it's not his fault he was taken so high, but he will be judged accordingly. I don't think anyone was realistically expecting a PB caliber rookie year from Fleener, and if someone ways, it was there fault, but again I personally cannot recall a single play where Fleener "stood out" or I thought to myself "man that's why we drafted him!!" Could all of that change in the coming years? Absolutely. But with Allen, I think we all saw some pretty positive things, Fleener not so much.

How about the TD catch vs. Detroit?    About 25 yards up the left sideline.     I think that was play were Coby "stood out" and made me say....   "man, that's why we drafted him!"....

Then again,  for me at least,  there weren't many more than that.   And that's disappointing.

But I remain optimistic about this year....

Fleener did well to start off the year. He actually had a good game against the Bears in game 1 and did well in the following games. Then he got hurt, and that really put the emphasis on Dwayne Allen.

Of course, Allen being the beast that he is, didn't dissapoint and rose to the occasion. Once Allen was given an opportunity to be the main focus as the TE, he continued to get better and better. When Fleener came back he made a few catches, but Luck had built chemistry with Allen and knew how reliable he was.

I expect Luck and Fleener to regain their chemistry in an offense that they're both familiar with. Look out, good things are about to happen.

Who do you think gets him? The most recent mock I say had him going second round...10th or 11th. Miami was one i saw.

I reall feel like he could with all of the OL, DT/OLB and CB talent. A team really has to have a NEED for TE anymore it seems.

I could see the bears or the giants taking him. Also the falcons, maybe the ravens

How about the TD catch vs. Detroit? About 25 yards up the left sideline. I think that was play were Coby "stood out" and made me say.... "man, that's why we drafted him!"....

Then again, for me at least, there weren't many more than that. And that's disappointing.

But I remain optimistic about this year....

Ya I remember that play. He had the LB beat by a few steps. Brilliant throw by Luck, and that's what I personally took away from that play. If I recall correctly I think Fleener kind of had an awkward turn around to catch the ball.

After thinking about it I thought that was his only TD rec on the season. But then I saw he had 1rec for 1yd and 1td vs Hou in the last game.

I will give some comparisons.

Vernon Davis was drafted 6th overall by the 49ers and was widely considered the next generations of TEs where he was ridiculously fast and was too fast for a linebacker and too big for a cornerback.

He didn't break out until year 4, the previous 3 years he had 3, 4, and 2 TDs respectively. His 2nd year was his best before his breakout which he had 52 rec and 506 yards, along with the 4 TDs.

Fleener's first year he had 26 rec for 281 yards and 2 TDs. Vernon's first year he had 20 rec for 265 yards and 3 TDs. And both guys missed games due to injury.

Not sure what Eifert offers that Fleener doesn't. They are close to the same player IMO.

And I doubt Eifert goes in the first because people always over value tight ends in mocks....although he could sneak in

Not sure what Eifert offers that Fleener doesn't. They are close to the same player IMO.

And I doubt Eifert goes in the first because people always over value tight ends in mocks....although he could sneak in

If I remember correctly, Fleener tested better in every category at the combine. I know for a fact he was faster than Eifert so I agree completely. Fleener isn't as good a blocker, but that isn't a big deal IMO. 

IMO, if Fleener was coming out this off-season, he would be the 3rd TE.  Fleener is a 1 dimensional- pass receiving.  Did not block very well in College and did not block very well last season.

....and that is the same knock against Eifert and Ertz