Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ravens CAP issues could free up Bolden

throwing BBZ

Contrary to popular belief we are not just a few veterans away from a SuperBowl team yet. If we add a WR it will be a younger player who has the potential to be THE guy after Reggie retires. We don't want to have a massive roster turnover in a few years due to aging veterans, that will stall progress.

People will be talking a out how nice it would be to have another stud receiver on the team if Reggie or Hilton goes down. You can't ever really have to much depth because injuries happen. Does that mean I agree with forking out a ton of $ for a stud receiver, no. That being said I still wouldn't mind of they brought in a good receiver for the right price.

we don't need another receiver. with Wayne, Hilton, and most people forget Whalen (who i think will be great) and if the bring back either Avery or Collie. Kruger i say we go for. with him and Redding together. enough said.

You need more than four wr on a team. Especially when two of them are question marks at best

Contrary to popular belief we are not just a few veterans away from a SuperBowl team yet. If we add a WR it will be a younger player who has the potential to be THE guy after Reggie retires. We don't want to have a massive roster turnover in a few years due to aging veterans, that will stall progress.

completely agree... we need to build this thing correctly... I don't really see the logic in grabbing a guy who has a year or 2 left in the league (Reed).. that's the kind of thing that the losers of a conference championship game might do to get over the hump, but we aren't that team yet...

Bolden is the right type of guy, but , like you mention, he's almost as old as Reggie... the real question here is whether or not Kruger is a 1 year wonder and whether or not we can get him if Grigs wants him....

I live here in Baltimore and many sports talk guys here would rather let kruger walk. Poor against the run they say. not bad rushing the passer though. Chuck would know him best. guess it depends on cost. Love boldin but age is a question. He needs a burner like smith to get attention it seems like. Had Fitz in zona to free him up.

Regarding Kruger....

A story I saw noted that Kruger was having a rather unremarkable season in the first half of the year when Suggs was out...   and it wasn't until Suggs returned that Kruger's season took off.    Now, I don't know if Kruger and Mathis both play the strong side or not. Not sure if either can make the flip to the weak side?

All I'm saying is this might not be the slam dunk decision for Grigson and Pagano that it might appear.   Or, maybe it is.   Dunno?

But it's food for thought.....

wow i just love how people want a Wr knowing we dont have a need for it........

Collies out, Averys out (most likely), Reggie is still 34. Right now we have a number 1 in Reggie, Hilton could play 2 or slot, and Brazill whose the same story. Love Reggie, love Ty, still unsure about Brazill as hes unproven, same as Whalen.

Were fine at receivers true, but very thin. Lets say Reggie goes down week 1. Who are our guys? Hilton, Brazill and Whalen? 2 of the 3 could easily be upgraded imo. Id still like to get a number 2 guy and keep Hilton in the slot and have Brazil rotate. Or put Hilton at the 2 and bring in a slot. either way id like another receiver at least talented enough to compete for a starting roll. If we can bring in a proven receiver then great.

Regarding Kruger....

A story I saw noted that Kruger was having a rather unremarkable season in the first half of the year when Suggs was out...   and it wasn't until Suggs returned that Kruger's season took off.    Now, I don't know if Kruger and Mathis both play the strong side or not. Not sure if either can make the flip to the weak side?

All I'm saying is this might not be the slam dunk decision for Grigson and Pagano that it might appear.   Or, maybe it is.   Dunno?

But it's food for thought.....

Suggs missed 8 games last year, the first 6 games plus week 9 and week 17, through those first 6 games Kruger had 1.5 sacks the next two (week 9 and week 17) he had 1 sack, I dont see Kruger excelling in the Freeney role to be honest, I think our pass rusher will have to come through the draft

i could actually see reed getting 7-9 million if the colts and patriots both want him. but who ever reaches 9 will get him

At first i was for signing reed but seeing guys like elam,rambo,ried,vaccoro, cyprien..... Basically a deep safety class if e draft one i would prefer elam if we go safety via fee agency i would want us to get gholson

Ugh, I'd rather not see Boldin here.  How good have Joe's numbers been with Boldin?  Mediocre to Fair.  Nothing amazing.  He's averaging just over 60 catches a year over the past 3 years.  TY was about 10 short of that in his first season.

Me, personally, I'd rather see Brazill get more time.  That kid has made some dynamite catches in really limited time.  Just bring in another guy or two to fill out the spots, and build.

JMO but the difference between a BIGGER receiver such as Boldin at 220 lb.+ and a smurf, is Boldins willingness & ability to go up and get a ball in traffic and making the catch when he gets hit or sees he is about to be hit..

Smurfs T.Y., Avery, and the next big thing Palmer, will often just be out physicalled for the ball, and worse yet, will ALWAYS be at High Risk of Short-Arming when they see they are about to be hit.

T.Y. played in 15 games this season, that was a very good number.

JMO but the difference between a BIGGER receiver such as Boldin at 220 lb.+ and a smurf, is Boldins willingness & ability to go up and get a ball in traffic and making the catch when he gets hit or sees he is about to be hit..

Smurfs T.Y., Avery, and the next big thing Palmer, will often just be out physicalled for the ball, and worse yet, will ALWAYS be at High Risk of Short-Arming when they see they are about to be hit.

T.Y. played in 15 games this season, that was a very good number.

The Colts already have their aged, possession receiver on the roster. They don't need another one.

Boldin would be a horible add IMO. You already have a WR that will be 35 next year. His assets are route running and great hands, Problem might be getting separation as he probably loses another step as he ages another year. Now some want to bring on a WR that will be 33 next year. His best qualities are great hands and ability to "outfight" DB's for the ball. His biggest problem is also getting separation. It would be great to get a big fast WR this offsason , but with all the other needs .. not likely unless we find a gem that goes a bit under the radar. The next best option is a smaller... fast WR with good hands . If Hilton stays in the slot and Brazil is not that guy , we either add one or maybe go with Whalen or Collie. 

In any event it makes no sense to pay 6-7 mill for a guy like Boldin.