Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

As it turns out.

House

It was nice to see Luck not have to throw every pass at least 20 yards.   I think next year he will be a top 4 QB with Pep's offense.  He was totally miscast as the new Daryl Lamonica.   He is so good, he put up good numbers.  But that was not his thing.   He will do much better in the new offense, I believe.

rough start and rough end but the stuff in between was better than anything Manning or Schaub did at QB tonight. 

Also for all those saying Luck is fine with WRs think about what he could do if he had a tall WR like Green.  I am not saying the Colts should break the bank to go get one but if they are in poistion to get one tonight showed you why those kinds of players can be so valuable if you have a super star QB. 

ok everyone knows peyton made andrew throw to watt haha

Enh he said an interview earlier in the game they had a practice they had been working with Watt for when they got down by the goal-line.  That's why we saw him go in there in the first quarter with Peyton too.  It's just one of those things you see in the Pro-Bowl and when you have a guy like Watt who has worked on that during the week you know the ball is going there. 

I Actually thought both were pretty good coverages that luck threw for TD's. that INT, the defense knew what was coming. when you have JJ Watt out there, it was obvious they were going to try to get him a TD. 

His best throw might be the one that was dropped in the endzone that would have been a TD.  That was a picture perfect throw by Luck and put it in a very tight window to give the WR a chance.  NBC did a really nice drop to highlight it. 

If we can protect Luck and get him a tall WR I think tonight showed us that the accuracy issue will take care of it's self. 

rough start and rough end but the stuff in between was better than anything Manning or Schaub did at QB tonight. 

Also for all those saying Luck is fine with WRs think about what he could do if he had a tall WR like Green.  I am not saying the Colts should break the bank to go get one but if they are in poistion to get one tonight showed you why those kinds of players can be so valuable if you have a super star QB. 

Oh yeah, that's a game-changing player. You take one of those guys at whatever position if you have the chance to. I don't think you make big moves for them via trade, and I don't think you necessarily go after one with big money either. In our case, the question is whether you want mid-level guys at a position that you already have young talent to develop. But there's no question we'd take a guy like AJ Green if we could, particularly in the draft.

Oh yeah, that's a game-changing player. You take one of those guys at whatever position if you have the chance to. I don't think you make big moves for them via trade, and I don't think you necessarily go after one with big money either. In our case, the question is whether you want mid-level guys at a position that you already have young talent to develop. But there's no question we'd take a guy like AJ Green if we could, particularly in the draft.

The only way you`re going to "knowingly" get a "game changer" is via trade or big money. The draft is a crap shoot. Even though AJ was highly rated coming out of college, so was Roy Williams for example and he didnt turn out to be much, you really just don`t know.

The only way you`re going to "knowingly" get a "game changer" is via trade or big money. The draft is a crap shoot. Even though AJ was highly rated coming out of college, so was Roy Williams for example and he didnt turn out to be much, you really just don`t know.

The draft is inexact, but it's not a crap shoot. In this particular case, the Bengals drafted AJ Green. The Falcons drafted Julio Jones that same year.

And, almost without exception, every "game changer" at receiver comes out of the draft. I wouldn't shy away from any highly rated player at any position just because they sometimes don't work out. They never work out if you never draft them.

So what I was specifically talking about was how some people think we should avoid receiver in the draft, no matter what, because we have some promising young guys on the roster. I like our guys, and I don't think we should draft or add mid level guys (i.e. Lavon Brazill). But if there was a potential game changer at receiver with any of our picks, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing us take that kind of player, because he could dramatically change our offense.

However, because I think we're okay at receiver (not necessarily set, but okay), I don't think we should try to acquire the decent guys that will be available via trade or free agency. I might be open to a super production guy like Welker, but even that doesn't seem like a move that would dramatically improve our passing game. Guys like Mike Wallace and Dwayne Bowe are -- to me -- second tier guys; they'll help, they have tons of talent, but they aren't transcendent players that will take us to the next level.

From what I know at this point, I don't think there are any receivers of this caliber in the draft this year. I think there are a few that have Bowe-like potential, but none with Green/Jones-like potential.

If the Bengals don't get over that Playoff Losing Hump, maybe Green will consider coming to us. I know he enjoyed catching those Beautiful Passes from Andrew Luck.

If I'm not mistaken, Green's Rookie contract is up next off-season I do believe

Nope. He's a free agent in 2015.

Oh. I was close lol. He still had to be enjoying the passes. But I know there's no way they'll trade him to us

General rule of thumb, drafted players from 2011 or later have four year rookie contracts. Undrafted players have three year rookie contracts.

As a first rounder, the Bengals can exercise an option for a fifth year on Green, non-negotiable (like a franchise tag). So he probably won't hit free agency until 2016, and that's assuming they don't reach terms on an extension before then, which they probably will. It's highly unlikely we ever have a chance at AJ Green, and even if we did, it wouldn't be for at least three years.

I assumed yesterday's game would shift some opinions on the receiver issue.  Personally, I'm not as high on our receiving corps as some.  I saw Luck throwing into tight coverage a high percentage of the time.  Is it priority #1?  No, but to say we're set at WR, have an elite group of WRs, etc., is off the mark. 

His best throw might be the one that was dropped in the endzone that would have been a TD.  That was a picture perfect throw by Luck and put it in a very tight window to give the WR a chance.  NBC did a really nice drop to highlight it. 

If we can protect Luck and get him a tall WR I think tonight showed us that the accuracy issue will take care of it's self. 

I thought his best one was that 55 yard bomb to AJ Green in his 2nd to last possession of the game lol. that was a sweet throw and it kept AJ Green in stride the whole time.

I assumed yesterday's game would shift some opinions on the receiver issue.  Personally, I'm not as high on our receiving corps as some.  I saw Luck throwing into tight coverage a high percentage of the time.  Is it priority #1?  No, but to say we're set at WR, have an elite group of WRs, etc., is off the mark. 

im starting to question that also. i mean there were a couple plays where AJ Green caught passes from luck that i dont think Avery,Hilton or anyone else (maybe except wayne) in that WR group would make.but i wouldnt use a draft pick on one. maybe try to sign someone like Bowe, Wallace, Jennings, Amendola, Hartline either one of them could improve our WR position.

Bowe is interesting. He has been straight-up dominant for periods during the last few seasons with mediocre to terrible QB play and really no other true WR threats on the team. However, he has also straight-up disappeared  He's a gamble and it's hard to say how much of his inconsistency is due to attitude or context or both. I really don't think the Colts will sign him but if they did, I would be very intruiged at the potential. The main issue aside from the gamble is that he will be 30 in two years (assuming that's when Reggie is done), meaning he's not the best replacement for Reggie. To me, our WR is fine but if a move is made it needs to be to find our next #1 to follow Reggie.

I assumed yesterday's game would shift some opinions on the receiver issue. Personally, I'm not as high on our receiving corps as some. I saw Luck throwing into tight coverage a high percentage of the time. Is it priority #1? No, but to say we're set at WR, have an elite group of WRs, etc., is off the mark.

I've said about the same. We could upgrade the 3rd WR spot, who could also serve as Reggie's replacement when he retires. It's not the priority though.

I have been saying for quite some time now that we need our AJ Green.  I think the closest thing available in FA is Dwayne Bowe.  He would be a solid pick up but would not be our future #1 after Reggie retires.  To get the kind of franchise #1 WR to grow with Luck, it will have to come from the draft (probably 1st round).  If there is a guy we fall in love with in this years draft, I would not be opposed to even moving up to get him.  If not this year, then next year WR in the 1st is a big possibility.   WR is much more of a need than most people act like.