Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Revis On The Block/Where will he land? (merge)

dw49

It seems that people who tear ACLs are coming back better than ever though. You got Brady, Jamal Charles, Andre Johnson, Peterson, and Terrell Suggs in the past 5 years. I'm not to worried about the ACL because it seems that rehabilitation and surgery have gotten better over the years to the point where it's not really a career threatening injury as it once was.

Don't recall Andre Johnson tearing his acl. Suggs tore his achilles

I don't think Woody Johnson would trade Revis to New England if the Patriots were the last option for him to do so. That would cause irreparable damage with his fan base. (The only fans who hate the Patriots more than you guys are probably Jets fans, lol...)

It also doesn't really make sense from NE's perspective. They don't pay top-dollar for many players, at least not what it will likely take to ink Revis to an extension or a long-term deal.

Obviously cap room will play into this. There are enough teams with space for him now, but only a few could realistically do it. And I don't think anyone's going to cough up what the Jets are asking without being able to agree to a sign-and-trade. I just don't know how that works with the Jets' cap issues.

Someone will overpay the Jets, and then overpay Revis. You can't let a CB saddle your team with cap nightmares though. They're important, but they're not quarterbacks.

I don't think Woody Johnson would trade Revis to New England if the Patriots were the last option for him to do so. That would cause irreparable damage with his fan base. (The only fans who hate the Patriots more than you guys are probably Jets fans, lol...)

It also doesn't really make sense from NE's perspective. They don't pay top-dollar for many players, at least not what it will likely take to ink Revis to an extension or a long-term deal.

Obviously cap room will play into this. There are enough teams with space for him now, but only a few could realistically do it. And I don't think anyone's going to cough up what the Jets are asking without being able to agree to a sign-and-trade. I just don't know how that works with the Jets' cap issues.

Someone will overpay the Jets, and then overpay Revis. You can't let a CB saddle your team with cap nightmares though. They're important, but they're not quarterbacks.

I agree....their bitter division rivalry aside....Bill Belichick almost never pursues high-dollar players whether it be by trade or free agency.

Although I must admit....I wouldn't mind seeing Belichick step out of character just this once and give up a king's ransom for Revis....and then watch the Jets be the same old Jets and completely foul up all those extra picks on draft day. :yes:

you know, with his current injury to his ACL....he could be had prob with a 3rd rounder and a couple late round picks. only problem with that is, if we give up our 3rd round for this years draft we would be with out our 2nd and 3rd rounder and wont pick until the 4th round. so maybe next years 2nd round pick packaged with a conditional 5th or 6th round pick, simular to the deal we got for Davis??? at the same time, i would think any team would want a chance to work out a long term deal before any trade happens also. no sense in giving up that much for a 1 yr rental that is coming off of a torn ACL.

I saw a report saying they were after a number of 1st and 2nd rounders. Not likely.

just way to much to give up for a 1 yr rental and a guy coming off a ACL injury. I wouldnt see any team giving up that much for him. 2nd rounder maybe but a 1st rounder?? no way. if those reports are true then those GM's and owners need to go and hang them selves because they just mortgaged their future on a guy who very well could not be the same when he comes back.

just way to much to give up for a 1 yr rental and a guy coming off a ACL injury. I wouldnt see any team giving up that much for him. 2nd rounder maybe but a 1st rounder?? no way. if those reports are true then those GM's and owners need to go and hang them selves because they just mortgaged their future on a guy who very well could not be the same when he comes back.

I went on the Jets forums yesterday and there is a lot of argument over whether Woody Johnson is going insane.

if his knee is ok.. I sure hope the Broncs go after him.. especially after that Moore and Champ incident..

if Omar Bolden lives up to potential well, if not for his acl tear  , he would of been a 1st rounder easily  , when picked some said one day he may end up the steal of the draft  if so hope its this year, I do know i read Broncos expect him to compete for time more this year and not just basically a special teamer

so you wanna get rid of the only good player on your team :sigh: . im starting to think the jets are ran by a bunch of monkeys. as for where will revis good certainly no where in the AFC. the jets arent that stupid. wait actually they are.

This is interesting.  He is the best leader on that roster.  If he goes, the Jets would likely be back in rebuilding mode.

They already are in rebuilding mode, which is why it doesn't make sense to have a player like Revis on a rebuilding team.  Revis can go to a contender and he would be the piece that puts them over the top to a Championship, but paying him that kind of money while you're trying to rebuild your roster doesnt make sense when you consider that he can be traded for multiple picks or multiple players.

Its better to get somethiing for him now that can be used to improve their team through the draft rather than losing him after the 2013 season to free agency.  They can't use the franchise tag on him so this is their only chance to get value for him in a trade, and their team needs a lot of improvements to contend

It isn't easy to move him. This isn't the NBA. Washington had Champ Bailey a shut down corner back in the day and all they got was a running back. I agree if they could get a good return you do it. You have him for one year...your team is going nowhere and he is the only thing of value on it. Literally there is basically not a single player on that team except maybe cromartie worth anything. Without him this year it isn't like they got torched...the issue was on the offense. I would think a team like Denver or New England who have closing windows would be the most interested and both are basically a defensive player or two in the secondary away from a super bowl. The most likely landing spot to me (if he was to go and thats not likely) would be to a team like Carolina who have early picks and a gluten of rbs that could help Ryan's ground and pound. 

It isn't easy to move him. This isn't the NBA. Washington had Champ Bailey a shut down corner back in the day and all they got was a running back. I agree if they could get a good return you do it. You have him for one year...your team is going nowhere and he is the only thing of value on it. Literally there is basically not a single player on that team except maybe cromartie worth anything. Without him this year it isn't like they got torched...the issue was on the offense. I would think a team like Denver or New England who have closing windows would be the most interested and both are basically a defensive player or two in the secondary away from a super bowl. The most likely landing spot to me (if he was to go and thats not likely) would be to a team like Carolina who have early picks and a gluten of rbs that could help Ryan's ground and pound. 

I agree.The Jets are in a tough spot because they have to unload him and he is coming off major knee surgery. They will NOT trade him within the division. He will go to the NFC most likely. If the Jets were smart they would trade him for the best offer but that will come from the Pats and they would rather eat dirt than trade him there.

I agree.The Jets are in a tough spot because they have to unload him and he is coming off major knee surgery. They will NOT trade him within the division. He will go to the NFC most likely. If the Jets were smart they would trade him for the best offer but that will come from the Pats and they would rather eat dirt than trade him there.

I could see a team like Carolina with a glutten of running backs, high draft picks, and need for defense being a possibility. I don't think we stand a snowballs chance in heck to get him...the Ed Reed link is much more credible but we do have some young talent we could offer on offense that could help that terrible offense. Perhaps as an act of good will we take Tebow from them too....that would help them out....even trade...taking Tebow negates getting Revis lol

I posted this article in the other Revis thread in the colts football section, but there are many players that never make a full recovery from the surgery and even more that do come back that are never the same player as before. Just too much of a risk IMO for giving up too much to get him. The Adrian Peterson's of the world are rare. I have no doubt he'll be back, but I do have doubts on if he'll be the same player he was.

http://www.empowereddoctor.com/acl-injuries-with-nfl-players-orthopedics

While I am sure that is true to some extent, the number of players coming back stronger is overwhelming. I also think the fact that Revis is a corner and not a RB or receiver helps him as he won't take the hits.

Unless the Pats give up their entire O-line and 6 yrs. worth of 1st rd. picks, He will not be traded to NE.

Doubt it, the Patriots could get Revis for a cheese pizza and a $5 off coupon at Walmart. Then they'd ship out Revis for a couple of first round picks.

I like the last couple of posts,

Dallas & Detroit seem like possible landing spots to me...

Dallas just cause it sounds like the kind of move Jerry would make...

I can just hear Jerry now-(in best southern twang)-"Oh man we need to trade for this REE-VIS Island guy, we could sell jerseys all day long"

We got A top running back for THE top cornerback and also shipped out a second round pick.  Awful trade value (fleeced by our future head coach) but, like the Jets, our backs were up against the wall.  Champ wasn't going to re-sign with us, less because we couldn't afford him than because he needed to save his marriage (wife wanted him out of the DC area to curb his infidelity).

There is no way he goes to Dallas unless they come up with some very innovative ways to get past the fact that they are somewhere in the neighborhood of 18 million dollars over the cap.

They certainly won't be able to put that much money into one position.  Still, that 18 mil will vanish in rather quick fashion this offseason.  The cap is a bit of a joke in some respects, it almost never prevents teams from spending money to get who they want.  It only succeeds in making big-signings a trade-off for depth.

I more likely look at a team that is making a push to win it all. Rent him for one year and then let someone else over pay for future years. Certainly a year at his price isn't over paying...we gave Freeney more and he did little to help us. Bill would love him because you can see what he wants to do with his corners...he WILL put them on an island and then turn his lbs loose.  TB isn't giving up Freeman....who would replace him? A team with a corner and no qb?? Sounds like the same team he left? Again I could see a team like like Carolina who has offensive talent willing to give up...or maybe a desperate team like Jacksonville, Tennessee, or Oakland. Some of those teams have some young talent they may want to offload...MJD, Gabbert, Robinson, Britt, CJ, Mcfadden or Palmer. I mean there are a lot of other teams that may want to shake things up and pull a deal. IDK but one thing is for sure..the Jets aren't likely to get face value for him.