Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Losing Goodwin

dw49

The Indianapolis Star reports new Cardinals coach Bruce Arians is expected to name Colts OL coach Harold Goodwin as his offensive coordinator.

The Arizona Republic confirms it. Goodwin has worked alongside Arians since 2007, but has been an offensive line coach his entire professional career. Arians is going to more-or-less serve as his own coordinator, and has already said he'll serve as play-caller.

The O-line was terrible this year but I don't know if it was the coaches fault or not. Kinda surprising hire to be honest.

With the talent level and injuries , hard to even think about blaming Goodwin. Also as good as Luck was , there is a case that he held the ball a bit long and maybe made a few mistakes that made the line look worse than it was. Yea .. for sure surprising. Looks to me that Arains envisions himself as both HC and OC.

Bring back Mudd (if he'll have us)!

C'mon Bav. Its pretty obvious the Colts want to run a man blocking scheme with bigger stronger o-lineman. Mudd likes just the opposite. Just like Tom Moore, I don't think the Colts want any part of bringing back old re-treads from the old regime. 

The Indianapolis Star reports new Cardinals coach Bruce Arians is expected to name Colts OL coach Harold Goodwin as his offensive coordinator.

The Arizona Republic confirms it. Goodwin has worked alongside Arians since 2007, but has been an offensive line coach his entire professional career. Arians is going to more-or-less serve as his own coordinator, and has already said he'll serve as play-caller.

This is called a SAFE hire for BA:  A confidant as OC....as we all know and have heard, BA will be calling his own plays.  I hope Goodwin learns, and becomes an excellent OC for years to come :)  I for one think he did a GREAT job with our mish mash of an OL...we were 11-5 with Link playing in almost every game...Olsen.....Sowell.....Essex.....Hills....and injuries....not to forget my diamond in the rough AQ Shipley. (All that beast needed was a chance (see Jeff Saturday) ) I neglected Satele.....only because of injuries and his head bob....that told the other team the snap count and whether it was pass/run) :)

I loved Mudd, but he had his problems at Philly.......is their any new names?  Stanford has had some pretty good OL?????  How about One of Stanford's 2 OL coaches?  Would that be a Cardinal sin?   :funny:  rotflmao

Goodwin must not be under contract because Grigson made it clear he won't let teams raid his coaching staff unless he has to. The Cards might want to check with Grigson before making this announcement.

I think he has to grant permission for promotions to HC or coodinators.

C'mon Bav. Its pretty obvious the Colts want to run a man blocking scheme with bigger stronger o-lineman. Mudd likes just the opposite. Just like Tom Moore, I don't think the Colts want any part of bringing back old re-treads from the old regime.

I agree with not bringing back Moore. I don't think an older coach is as effective in a coordinator position because of an inflexibility to deviate from old schemes.

I don't think the same necessarily of position coaches. You're not teaching schemes in as much as you're teaching techniques. And there's nothing that Howard Mudd doesn't know or can't teach.

$.02

I agree with not bringing back Moore. I don't think an older coach is as effective in a coordinator position because of an inflexibility to deviate from old schemes.

I don't think the same necessarily of position coaches. You're not teaching schemes in as much as you're teaching techniques. And there's nothing that Howard Mudd doesn't know or can't teach.

$.02

That may be true, but I still think Mudd always wanted smaller, quicker O-lineman for zone blocking schemes. It would be better to find an o-line coach that specializes in man blocking schemes IMO. 

This is called a SAFE hire for BA:  A confidant as OC....as we all know and have heard, BA will be calling his own plays.  I hope Goodwin learns, and becomes an excellent OC for years to come :)  I for one think he did a GREAT job with our mish mash of an OL...we were 11-5 with Link playing in almost every game...Olsen.....Sowell.....Essex.....Hills....and injuries....not to forget my diamond in the rough AQ Shipley. (All that beast needed was a chance (see Jeff Saturday) ) I neglected Satele.....only because of injuries and his head bob....that told the other team the snap count and whether it was pass/run) :)

I loved Mudd, but he had his problems at Philly.......is their any new names?  Stanford has had some pretty good OL?????  How about One of Stanford's 2 OL coaches?  Would that be a Cardinal sin?   :funny:  rotflmao

OL/Running game Coordinator Mike Bloomgren (FSU, Alabama, Jets) or Ron Crook Tight Ends.Offensive Tackles  (all college) are the Stanford coaches.  

I like Jay Kirk's Alabama idea.....Jeff Stoutland.  Very well respected....Alabama, Miami, Michigan State.....Syracuse!!

2 people that come to mind as a good replacement are Tom Cable ( OL coach for seahawks and former raiders HC): under him this year, Wilson was hit tied the 5th least compared to Luck ( 2nd most) and Pat Flaherty from the Giants who allowed the least sacks and 2nd least QB hits.   

Nice idea but pretty tough to accomplish lateral moves with coaches under contract.

Youve got to admit Alabama RBs keep chewing up yards,and yes those are talented backs,but they cant do it alone,and it seems to me the pass protection is there as well. And i Hate Alabama ,lets face it tho its a very good program

That is one thing about us Jay, we tell it like it is :)  Whether we like the team or not......talent is talent....we cannot shy away from the truth!  Alabama is a bad  :censored2: program that shows ZERO sign of letting up any time soon!  I do not like them either btw!!!!  :hairout:

That is one thing about us Jay, we tell it like it is :)  Whether we like the team or not......talent is talent....we cannot shy away from the truth!  Alabama is a bad  :censored2: program that shows ZERO sign of letting up any time soon!  I do not like them either btw!!!!  :hairout:

Yes Brother time we get our hand in ole Nicks cookie jar!!! :omg:   :cool:

That may be true, but I still think Mudd always wanted smaller, quicker O-lineman for zone blocking schemes. It would be better to find an o-line coach that specializes in man blocking schemes IMO. 

I want a coach that teaches the lineman how to block in ANY scheme....I know I have said this before, but your elite linemen.....simply KNOW HOW TO BLOCK......all this Man vs. zone 'stuff' gets on my last nerve :)  Not really, but you know what I mean....put a 'hat' on somebody and open the darned hole! :HFire:  :HFire:  :funny:

I have 2 candidates:

Pat Hill - Atlanta Falcons (Fresno State has produced some NFL quality OL, if I am not mistaken, I love his resume, has worked with Belichcik and the Ravens as well) - Paul Dunn is the main OL coach for the Falcons

Chris Morgan - Washington Redskins (if we use ZBS like Shanahan, this guy should work)

Thank you, Chad...tired of seeing 72-74 year old retreads listed whether we like them or not.  The league needs new blood....new ideas!!!!  :thmup:

Here's one out of left field and a stretch.  Jeff Saturday is probably done as a  player.  I know there had been some talk about the Colts bringing him back in some capacity.  Curious if he would be interested in coaching OLine.  I know he has zero coaching experience.  But he seems like a leader and a sharp guy.

Russ Grimm is former Steelers' OL coach, now Cardinals' OL coach. So I guess, Bruce Arians, while getting Goodwin, he did not want to burn that bridge with Russ Grimm that went all the way back to the Steelers, so he gave Goodwin a promotion. Otherwise, Grigson would not have let him go, if it was just a parallel move and Goodwin's promotion worked out for Arians and Goodwin to accomplish everything necessary.

Also, looking for coaches from playoff teams alive is a wait-and-see game.