Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Losing Goodwin

dw49

One last name, Juan Castillo, former OL coach of the Eagles, Grigson knows him real well.

This guy, for some reason, Andy Reid took him from OL coach, where he was doing well enough (though Vick is an OL coach killer), and then suddenly Andy Reid changed scheme from Juan Castillo's to Howard Mudd's and made Juan Castillo the DC. This was a situation where Juan Castillo was set up to fail, IMO, and he was the first guy I really felt bad for when the Eagles' wheels were falling off. Andy Reid fired him first, then Jim Washburn, and then Jason Babin, and soon everyone was let go. I felt bad for Juan Castillo, I did, he was a scapegoat and the D got worse after he was fired and Andy Reid was still looking for scapegoats and reasons after that.

One last name, Juan Castillo, former OL coach of the Eagles, Grigson knows him real well.

This guy, for some reason, Andy Reid took him from OL coach, where he was doing well enough (though Vick is an OL coach killer), and then suddenly Andy Reid changed scheme from Juan Castillo's to Howard Mudd's and made Juan Castillo the DC. This was a situation where Juan Castillo was set up to fail, IMO, and he was the first guy I really felt bad for when the Eagles' wheels were falling off. Andy Reid fired him first, then Jim Washburn, and then Jason Babin, and soon everyone was let go. I felt bad for Juan Castillo, I did, he was a scapegoat and the D got worse after he was fired and Andy Reid was still looking for scapegoats and reasons after that.

I hope not, but he was not bad as an OC.....DC was laughable...:)

I'm sorry to lose Goodwin.   As Grigson has pointed out, we only had our 'starting OL' together for 4 games.   That's it.

And the longer the season went on, the better the OL got.    That's coaching.

And yes,  since he's going from OL to OC, then Grigson has to let Goodwin go....    interesting, as I saw an interview that said Grigson did not anticipate losing any more coaches this off season.    Sounds like he didn't expect Goodwin to get this offer.

Oh well.....   nature of the business and all that....

I think he has to grant permission for promotions to HC or coodinators.
Then someone better tell Grigson because he is quoted as he won't let anyone under contract go unless it's for HC or GM -- which he has to do. But perhaps Goodwin isn't under contract for 2013.

I have 2 candidates:

Pat Hill - Atlanta Falcons (Fresno State has produced some NFL quality OL, if I am not mistaken, I love his resume, has worked with Belichcik and the Ravens as well) - Paul Dunn is the main OL coach for the Falcons

Chris Morgan - Washington Redskins (if we use ZBS like Shanahan, this guy should work)

Chris Morgan could be had, but Pat Hill would be a lateral move, and the NFL allows teams to block lateral moves. I doubt the Falcons would let him go.

Lol i dont understand for the life of me why we are limited on positive votes lol.Is it a competition?

^^^ This ... plus I do not understand why there is no "dislike" or thumbs down type voting either; I think it would allow people to show disagreement without leading to as many multi-post arguments.

I also witnessed a lot of confused play by our lineman and backs. Satelle had to be responsible for some of it in making calls, and our Rb`s were often scary bad.

Hope BA & Harold take Olson, Link and Satelle with them.

Smells a bit BA making Goodwin an OC just to get him. Self preservation I guess.

C'mon Bav. Its pretty obvious the Colts want to run a man blocking scheme with bigger stronger o-lineman. Mudd likes just the opposite. Just like Tom Moore, I don't think the Colts want any part of bringing back old re-treads from the old regime. 

Im not sure its that obvious, we dont have the O Line personel right now for a Man Blocking scheme and thats what Arians and Goodwin had, Im not exactly sure who will dictate what type of O Line scheme we have but I find it hard to fault Goodwin for our O Line problems last year and that we would fire him just after 1 year of haviing a mess at O Line, this could mean a scheme change, who knows when we will find out

With the talent level and injuries , hard to even think about blaming Goodwin. Also as good as Luck was , there is a case that he held the ball a bit long and maybe made a few mistakes that made the line look worse than it was. Yea .. for sure surprising. Looks to me that Arains envisions himself as both HC and OC.

Goodwin never developed an even decent O-line, even when he was in Pitt with Arians. Addition by subtraction, in my opinion (right along with Arians)

One last thought on Goodwin/Arians.    This is Arians' one and only shot.   If it doesn't work for him as HC in Arizona,  he will likely either retire, or finish out his career as an OC.

So, I don't think him grabbing Goodwin is some token move...   Arians is going to want all the talented coaches he can get around him.    He's not taking Goodwin because he's a friend, or he's a minority.    I think he believes Goodwin is a talented coach.  Otherwise,  he wouldn't be making the move,  this is too important for Arians.

Just my two cents....

I don't mind this at all.....in fact sadly I am smiling.

I will say it again and again and again, we are hugely fortunate Luck played 17 games and ended in one piece. This is one tough well built young man.

Meh...while I didn't like the hits he had to take, he didn't take near the pounding some quarterbacks in the past did....whene it was pretty much legal to cheap shot the QB.

This is a bummer.  I thought the O-line was improving slowly.  But I have faith that Pagano will find a really good coach to bring to Indy

I do too, but the thought strikes me, we are losing a lot of folks.  there just can't be + or > quality replacements for every one of them.  If so, they's already be employed successfully.  I just think with unproven replacements, the chance of a swing and a miss increases with every increase in each asst. coach lost.  I sure hope I'm wrong.

Im not sure its that obvious, we dont have the O Line personel right now for a Man Blocking scheme and thats what Arians and Goodwin had, Im not exactly sure who will dictate what type of O Line scheme we have but I find it hard to fault Goodwin for our O Line problems last year and that we would fire him just after 1 year of haviing a mess at O Line, this could mean a scheme change, who knows when we will find out

I'd say chances are pretty high we will continue using a man blocking scheme with most things. That is what they ran at Stanford, and Peps comments don't lead me to believe it will be any different with the Colts. He speaks of having strong belief in a Power running game. You will likely not speak that way when you are speaking about zone running.

“I enjoy watching our guys come off the ball, the guys up front trying to knock the opponent back. I’m a big believer of a power running game, running gap schemes,” said Hamilton. “I think that ultimately opens up your passing game. From play-action passes, you get opportunities to face one-high coverages, get free access outside on the perimeters.

I'd say chances are pretty high we will continue using a man blocking scheme with most things. That is what they ran at Stanford, and Peps comments don't lead me to believe it will be any different with the Colts. He speaks of having strong belief in a Power running game. You will likely not speak that way when you are speaking about zone running.

“I enjoy watching our guys come off the ball, the guys up front trying to knock the opponent back. I’m a big believer of a power running game, running gap schemes,” said Hamilton. “I think that ultimately opens up your passing game. From play-action passes, you get opportunities to face one-high coverages, get free access outside on the perimeters.

Well hope we get a near complete overhaul of O Linemen to do it, there is a reason it did not work last year and its not injuries

That needed to be done regardless

Those 6 words ring so true!  I am a firm believer that an Offensive Lineman is an offensive lineman.  If you are of NFL caliber, by now you know how to block.....Mano a mano....or zone.  Once again, the other team has different jerseys on right?????.......hit them boys!  HARD!   :thmsup: