Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Was Luck hyped to much?

coltsfanmilyman

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we have access to posts from Manning's first year?

I know the Star forums are gone and that was probably the most popular forum back then.

By this time in Manning's first year we were 0-5.

I'm sure people were screaming to bring Harbaugh back.

Calling him over-rated / over-hyped and asking for Jack Trudeau to step in (was he the backup back then?)

Just sayin!

Joe

Comparing Luck to Manning isn't the point.

That just muddies the water as these two QB's played under entirely different circumstances.

Accuracy isn't typically the sort of thing that takes a hit due to rookie status, adjusting to NFL speed and complexity of defenses. Accuracy is typically inherent. Yes, it can (and likely will) improve.

Typical issues with rookie QB's;

Reading defenses.

Defensive speed.

Audible-ing out of bad plays.

Turnovers.

Holding the ball too long.

You wanna compare Manning to Luck? Manning struggled with all of these rookie woes. He did not, however, struggle with accuracy. Completion % isn't the tell-all of QB accuracy. There is a such thing as the eye test, a gauge that can only be settled upon after watching play after play.

Luck has issues with consistency in accuracy. Issues that I find myself wondering if they can be purged with experience. He has a very strange release, almost like Phillip Rivers with an odd shot-put hurl.

...just sayin.....

People expect him to come in here and play like Peyton because they miss Peyton. The OP said it all.

Gee....ya think?

That kinda happens when we have the greatest QB to ever play the game signed to a 5 year contract and we fire him for the bone we see reflecting back at us in the water below.

THE+DOG+AND+HIS+REFLECTION.jpg

SMH.

Are some of us really saying Luck isn't good? I know Peyton spoiled us big time, but what's the big deal? He's put up better numbers, more wins, MORE TD's and LESS INT's than Peyton did his rookie year.

Give it a year then make your judgments on him.

Rome wasn't built in 6 weeks ya know...

It's funny, but it's almost like people have forgotten how bad last season was.

If Painter were still the QB -- this team is 0-6. Enjoy the fact that this team is .500 and the future is a lot brighter than it was at this time last year.

The Colts have a very good young QB -- and lots of $$'s to spend next year on a very good class of young FA WR (Wallace/Jennings/Bowe/Cruz) and OL (J Long / D Brown).

With a good 1st round pick next year and wise use of the FA $$'s, this team could well win 10 or more games and be in the playoffs next season.

I think Andrew Luck is great....and to be honest I was on the RGIII side of the debate, hard core...but Luck is right for Indianapolis, he fits the personality of the city. I think he's a hard worker and he's learning what it takes to be a pro...and he's learning along with other rookies...I think that tends to get loss in the convo...This team is very young on the offensive side. He's a rookie...he makes rookie mistakes, but the expectations are so crazy high and while thats normal I think he's met my expectations.

It's funny, but it's almost like people have forgotten how bad last season was.

If Painter were still the QB -- this team is 0-6. Enjoy the fact that this team is .500 and the future is a lot brighter than it was at this time last year.

The Colts have a very good young QB -- and lots of $$'s to spend next year on a very good class of young FA WR (Wallace/Jennings/Bowe/Cruz) and OL (J Long / D Brown).

With a good 1st round pick next year and wise use of the FA $$'s, this team could well win 10 or more games and be in the playoffs next season.

I agree, I think the draft/free agency strategy is going to be much different than I originally expected...I think we will pay for a good Guard, or Center and a WR and Draft Defense......

Hyup.

We live in a "gotta have it now" society.

Doesn't matter that he's a rookie, and that historically (with exceptions) rookies don't start their first year. Doesn't matter that our O-line, which we complained about nonstop for the last 3-4 years, can't establish consistent protection or a running attack. Doesnt matter that we have a D that has consistently been our weakest link for a decade.

It seems people actually expected Andrew Luck, a rookie QB, to coverup all our glaring flaws and instantly be amazing.

So to answer the original question. No. I don't think Andrew was too hyped. He's everything as advertised in my opinion. I think some fans took that hype to mean immediately he would be as good as they say.

Most of the praise I heard referred to Luck as the greatest "prospect" they had ever seen. The word "prospect"implies development is still needed.

I hope these threads exist in 3 years when Luck has us as a 10 win teams haha

You'd be surprised how many posters on this board don't understand this. It's unbelievable.

I think he was over hyped. He was not only touted as the greatest quarterback prospect ever, he was also described as NFL ready. His accuracy denotes that he is not the greatest QB since John Elway and his many rookie mistakes denote that he is not NFL ready.

And yes, one must conisider what the Colts gave up to recruit Luck as their QB. The Colts had the options of Peyton Manning, RGIII, AND Andrew Luck. It is normal to question the pick when it seems Andrew Luck isnt living up to the emense amount of hype and especially when, so far, Peyton and RGIII have out played him.

So considering the Colts options and the emmense hype of Andrew Luck, justifying the release of one of the greatest quarter backs in the league, it's only natural to question the decisions the Colts made.

But maybe Luck will fulfill the lofty expectations in the future. He has only played 6 games. And yes the expectations are understandable, considering the other quarter backs that the Colts passed up for the best prospect and NFL ready QB ever in Andrew Luck.

First off, first post, so hey Colts fans!!! With that out of the way, I do feel that thanks to the media over-sensationalizing EVERYTHING, and us as fans that want Andrew to be the man, that of course he was over-hyped. I also feel that RG3 has made a greater impact in the league at this point. If RG3 were on this team, I would think there would be a totally different conversation happening. That concussion he had a few weeks back would have been week one if he had been on this team and our patchwork O-line. I also lay some bit of blame on Arians, as he really hasn't catered elements of our offense to what Luck does well, something that the Redskins have greatly succeeded at with RG3. I feel that in 3 years or so, this will all be silly talk, but right now I can understand fans being concerned, but I am just waiting for the next ridiculous thread that mentions Luck as a bust like Jeff George. I totally agree about the "prospect" remark early in this thread, as it is a true description of Andrew. So yes, he was over hyped, but we the fans have to take some ownership as we are "shoveling the coal" that drives this hype train...

Luck is doing an excellent job working with what he has and what he does not have... Listen our line at best is OK. Peyton and RG3 both have established lines and teams and yet our record is better than both of those other teams. I would anticipate our team being at full strength in 3 weeks or so. When that happens, WATCH OUT!

People seem to forget that we live in an era of constant Twitter feeds and endless blog, forum and stat websites to hype and disect and digest every little word about a player. If Peyton were coming into the league this year instead of 1998, I feel that a lot of the same things would be said about him the way it is with Luck. Perception does not equal reality even if it is percevied to be it.

Even if you think Luck is overhyped NOW that doesn't mean he cannot still live up to it someday. Patience guys. His team is quite frankly below average to most people's standards and already has a 3-3 record. (the same record as Manning's Broncos btw who some fawn over to the point it makes me wonder who they are really rooting for) And we already have a huge win over Aaron Rodgers' Packers which quite honestly might be the most exciting win I have seen all season by years end in my world.

I am not sure I get it at times. I swear many fans these days are more into individual stats and highlights on ESPN then they are over actual team wins. This team is already making many more strides then last season and is overcoming a lot of diversity.

Sometimes I don't even know why I bother. Our fanbase is often just never happy enough and full of people who want to constantly vent if the team doesn't live up to some of their own expectations.

Enjoy it this season, chances are low expectations won't be following us for long.

People seem to forget that we live in an era of constant Twitter feeds and endless blog, forum and stat websites to hype and disect and digest every little word about a player. If Peyton were coming into the league this year instead of 1998, I feel that a lot of the same things would be said about him the way it is with Luck. Perception does not equal reality even if it is percevied to be it.

Yep, we live in a world of instant gratification.

RG3 is CLEARLY the better QB. Stronger more accurate throws. He can throw a good deep ball. Luck has been Poor with his accuracy.

Definitely NOT the player sold to everyone.

Luck will be chasing 3 for awhile. Maybe a LONG while.

I'm sure poor pass protection has nothing to do with it, right?

You take the two TDs he scored with his feet out, and write them as passing TDs. You then take all of the ridiculous drops, and you have a stat line that reads:

20/29 (68.9%), 2 TDs, 220 yds.

And as there were no INTs, nor fumbles, and we won the game... uh, what is the problem?

As far as I see it, Luck is an EXCELLENT decision maker. He throws the ball well, and does what he HAS to. Whether it be to move the chains, or get the TD, he doesn't take chances, and simply makes smart plays. To me, if he continues to focus on making those types of decisions, we won't be far off of what Harbaugh got out of the 49ers last year. And as Luck appears to be more gifted than Alex Smith, we should be in very good shape in terms of getting to and advancing in the playoffs in the years to come.

For a rookie, I think we couldn't have done better than what we did.

Maybe the wrong thread, but I have a question/observation about Luck.......

Isn't Clyde supposed to be the QB coach? What is he doing exactly? Everytime you see Luck go to the sideline, he goes straight to Arians. I'm not upset about it by any means, just an observation.

I hope Arians having to be head coach doesn't take away from Luck's development.

We picked the right guy. I have a feeling that with the way he plays RGIII won't be able to stay healthy that long... and they will have a tough time building around him in the future without any draft picks. Luck on the other hand is everything they have said, and will continue to grow with time. Plus we have the ability to build a team around him.

We picked the right guy. I have a feeling that with the way he plays RGIII won't be able to stay healthy that long... and they will have a tough time building around him in the future without any draft picks. Luck on the other hand is everything they have said, and will continue to grow with time. Plus we have the ability to build a team around him.

It's just people look at QB's like Russell Wilson & RG3 and start to think Luck wasn't as Good as people said he would be. Failing to realize RG3 & RW have more of a Built Team than we do. Our whole Team is NEw (aside from the veterans)

Maybe the wrong thread, but I have a question/observation about Luck.......

Isn't Clyde supposed to be the QB coach? What is he doing exactly? Everytime you see Luck go to the sideline, he goes straight to Arians. I'm not upset about it by any means, just an observation.

I hope Arians having to be head coach doesn't take away from Luck's development.

The QB coach probably deals with Luck in Practice & things like that. But in the Game, you always go to your head coach majority of the time. It's like Brady when he goes to Beli. Or Ben when he goes to Tomlin. Just a natural thing, but I get why you'd ask the question

No, he wasn't hyped too much. I think Luck is amazing and he's lived up to the hype in his ROOKIE year so far. He has proven to be clutch in just 6 games. He's thrown the ball a ridiculous number of times already to carry a team that went 2-14 last year--a team that's filled with rookies, an inconsistant O-line, rookie TE's, rookie RB etc...

He's the main reason why we're winning. Thank God we drafted this kid.

The big problem among the fans, in my opinion, is that everyone is comparing him to Peyton and RG3. It's not a fair comparison, but humans by nature like to compare. I think given the talent that is surrounding Luck, he is doing well. He is not a finished product by any means, and I do not see a bust either. I think he has amazing potential, and he seems to grasp the game mentally. Physically, there is work to do. He is used to larger windows in the college game and his muscle memory is contributing to some of the errant throws, I believe. I'm not worried about Andrew Luck. He is a rookie and there will be moments where we may question, but let's stick it out and enjoy the ride.

This kid has it all..... He has already won as many games as Manning did his rookie year and Luck is not even half way into his rookie season. Plus Manning had a full supporting cast, Luck has a few parts, but nowhwere near Manning or RGIII's supporting cast. In year three he will lead the Colts to challenge for the AFC title and possible Super Bowl, he'll get his first post season win next year...but many will still not be happy.

So are you really shaking your head when you write Smh?

I don't think there's a metric that's going to please everyone other than winning and this team can do that with Luck. He's his own style, that's cool. I'd like to see him either complete the passes on the run or go with a quick read so that the pocket doesnt need much time, but what do I know? Not much, like most of us.

Manning deserves to be missed, but its not like that's going to be the primary driver for any success or failures the Colts have in the future so let's give this thing the time it needs.

500. Should be party time around here, it's a rebuilding year!

Luck was extremely accurate in college, (with the exceptin of the deep ball), and now all of a sudden he's got "accuracy issues?" What's changed since just a few months ago?

1. The speed of the game, which he's adjusting to.

2. He had a great O-line at Stanford and a horrible O-line with the Colts.

3. He had a great run game at Stanford and an almost non-existent rung game with the Colts. Teams don't worry about the run and pin their ears back and pressure Luck right as soon as the ball is snapped. (Last game was a welcome relief).

4.. He's in a new system that is 5th in the league for most 40+ yard pass attempts--we're not playing to Luck's strengths.

5.. The new system doesn't use check downs as much as they probably should, which would help to increase his completion %.

6. Rookie receivers, rookie TE's, rookie RB, Wayne double covered, Avery in new system coming off injured knee.

So either Luck has been drafted and has transformed into someone else, who is less accurate, or the team is going through growing pains, resulting in some less than perfect execution.

SMH.

Are some of us really saying Luck isn't good?

Not I.

I think the kid is great and probably going to be a top-tier QB in short order.

I, unlike many others, am not a blind homer that refuses to discuss issues with the team in an honest manner. Luck has displayed some curious issues with accuracy, that's all I'm saying.

Everyone is bringing up his accuracy. Well ya can't be accurate as anything if you are running for your life.

He threw several errant balls yesterday while under no pressure whatsoever.

To me, it seems he is very conscious of not throwing picks and is therefor putting a little too much mustard on his throws. I would rather have him throw incompletions than to see him throwing INT's.

Also, that kid is tough as nails. Two weeks in a row he got blind side blasted out his socks and got up grinning.

Luck was extremely accurate in college, (with the exceptin of the deep ball), and now all of a sudden he's got "accuracy issues?" What's changed since just a few months ago?

1. The speed of the game, which he's adjusting to.

2. He had a great O-line at Stanford and a horrible O-line with the Colts.

3. He had a great run game at Stanford and an almost non-existent rung game with the Colts. Teams don't worry about the run and pin their ears back and pressure Luck right as soon as the ball is snapped. (Last game was a welcome relief).

4.. He's in a new system that is 5th in the league for most 40+ yard pass attempts--we're not playing to Luck's strengths.

5.. The new system doesn't use check downs as much as they probably should, which would help to increase his completion %.

6. Rookie receivers, rookie TE's, rookie RB, Wayne double covered, Avery in new system coming off injured knee.

So either Luck has been drafted and has transformed into someone else, who is less accurate, or the team is going through growing pains, resulting in some less than perfect execution.

^^ All of this is entirely irrelevant toward many of his very inaccurate throws he's made while under no pressure. He's shown a trend toward overthrowing badly. Let's hope he corrects this soon.

^^ All of this is entirely irrelevant toward many of his very inaccurate throws he's made while under no pressure. He's shown a trend toward overthrowing badly. Let's hope he corrects this soon.

Overthrows are generally a result of not following through on your throwing motion and throwing off of your back foot, rather than transitioning your weight forward as you throw, while completing your natural throwing motion. Usually, you would overthrow a receiver if you are pressured and throwing off of your back foot or if you rush your throws.

I can't find it now, but there is a statistic that shows that Luck has been one of the most pressured QB's in the league, looking at sacks, hits, hurries, and overall line break downs. This would cause the internal clock for any rookie QB to speed up. So, you could attribute the overthrows to 1. The speed of the game, and 2. His horrible O-line protection. Clearly, he's rushing his throws, most evident in the overthrow to Fleener wide open in the end zone. To me, these are things that can be improved and worked on.

Is Luck without blame, of course not. Could he have made better throws? Absolutely. But I think it goes just beyond Luck. It's unfair to put the blame on Luck and his innacuracy without looking at the possible factors. He has always been known for being extremely accurate- That's why we drafted him.

We could just run screens and dump offs all day and lose games like the Redskins.

Said the man who hasn't watched the Redskins all season. ;)

Luck has issues with consistency in accuracy. Issues that I find myself wondering if they can be purged with experience. He has a very strange release, almost like Phillip Rivers with an odd shot-put hurl.

Pure accuracy (i.e., being able to put a ball on a spot on command) is something I'm not sure can be improved much once a guy reaches the pros. HOWEVER, the accuracy issues specific to Luck seem to be symptomatic of other problems that are fixable and ought to disappear as his level of comfort grows. In this respect in particular, it's more than just a little unfair that Griffin is in the same class as him because Griffin came out of college with a truly unnatural and largely instinctual ability to make throws using only his arm, footwork and body position be darned. Luck's a guy who seems to need to throw on-balance with his shoulders squared to maintain his accuracy (like most QBs) and that hasn't exactly been easy between the protection he's received and his adjustment to making reads in the pro game.

The issue is whether Luck was over-hyped. As in; The media making statements like "A once in a generation quarterback" etc

I would have to ask why a once in a generation QB can't seem to hit the broadside of a barn with half his throws? His accuracy is VERY unimpressive so far.

What?

Luck's throws have been more than impressive, he is constantly hurried in the pocket, and he is throwing to 4x rookie receiving targets, a WR that has the drops more than not (Avery) and Wayne who pulls down the passes thrown his way like a WR should. It is visible that timing is a guessing game, and routes are not being run right.

To compare Luck's consistency to Manning's is dumb, as a matter of fact to compare Luck to Manning in any way at this point is dumb.

Andrew Luck has exceeded the hype, and he will be one of the best QB's in the league within the next few years. If we could do it all over again, I still send Manning packing and take Luck with the #1 overall pick.