Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Was Luck hyped to much?

coltsfanmilyman

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he was over hyped. He was not only touted as the greatest quarterback prospect ever, he was also described as NFL ready. His accuracy denotes that he is not the greatest QB since John Elway and his many rookie mistakes denote that he is not NFL ready.

And yes, one must conisider what the Colts gave up to recruit Luck as their QB. The Colts had the options of Peyton Manning, RGIII, AND Andrew Luck. It is normal to question the pick when it seems Andrew Luck isnt living up to the emense amount of hype and especially when, so far, Peyton and RGIII have out played him.

So considering the Colts options and the emmense hype of Andrew Luck, justifying the release of one of the greatest quarter backs in the league, it's only natural to question the decisions the Colts made.

But maybe Luck will fulfill the lofty expectations in the future. He has only played 6 games. And yes the expectations are understandable, considering the other quarter backs that the Colts passed up for the best prospect and NFL ready QB ever in Andrew Luck.

People hated Manning his rookie year because he was just some overhyped kid who replaced "Captain Comeback." Anyone expecting instant gratification out of the whole Manning/Luck situation, were setting themselves up for disappointment to begin with. I don't think anyone in their right mind thought that Luck would come in right away and outperform, in my opinion, the greatest quarterback of all-time. Manning couldn't win anymore with the roster the way it was. He was due more money with another contract on the horizon. Paying him would've totally crippled any chance we had at putting a solid team around him. Him moving on was hard to watch, but it was the best thing for both parties. He has a chance to win it all THIS YEAR (yeah, I said it) with a more talented team around him than he had here. We have a new franchise QB that we're dedicated to building around, with lots of cap room coming next off-season.

It sucks seeing Peyton in another jersey but it was the right move and there's no need to question Irsay's decision. It'll pay off in the long-run. Just watch

We weren't watching the same game then. One was so bad that it negated a PI penalty because it was uncatchable.

I still didn't see "several" bad throws from a clean pocket to an open receiver. I saw some that were basically throw aways. You make it seem like he made bad throw after bad throw. If Hilton catches a perfect 3rd down pass and runs the correct route later in the game he's at 62 percent completion for the day, which is fine. Some of the best QB's in the game put up similar if not worse completion percentages in games yesterday.

you're in the NFL now. nobody cares what you did in college anymore. and to be honest with you Weeden throws the best deep ball so far

Thats just being naive, its not what you did in college its his ability to throw the deep ball better accurately I have no idea why this is even an argument... even mike mayock will tell you Griffin has the better deep ball.. so I will stop replying to your post cause I'm not gonna argue about facts

They do track QB/WR miscommunication, entering yesterday Luck has 1 such pass, and I'm not sure who the target was for that.

Not every interception is on the quarterback but it is impossible for these companies to know who is more to blame. Did the QB make the wrong read, did the receiver run the wrong route, or a combo of that.

I think stats inc defines a drop as a ball that should be caught with minimal effort. Which would make the Brady/Welker Super Bowl pass an errant throw more than a drop even though Welker hauls that in more times than not.

Just like the Manning pick six vs. San Diego. He threw it right to the DB, and Collinsworth pointed out even though he doesn't know for 100% certainty that the WR didn't read what Manning read and ran the wrong option route vs. that blitz package. It goes against the QB and lowers his efficiency rating. It sucks, but it happens.

Luck has had 116 incomplete passes.

Stats inc has that distributed as follows:

Type Number

Pass Dropped 11

Poor Throw 41

Pass Defensed 35

Pass Hit at Line 4

Other 18

Intercepted 7

I think that could change a bit later in the week once they have gone through and looked at drops. That usually occurs later in the week.

Entering last week he was listed as having:

11 Drops

4 Batted down at the line

1 QB/WR Miscommunication

25 overthrows

4 Spikes

4 Thrown away intentionally

7 underthrows

9 thrown wide

29 passes were defensed

1 pass caught out of bounds.

http://hosted.stats....d=25711&team=11

http://sportsillustr...ing_splits.html

Like Manning said a few weeks ago after the Falcons game. The quarterback signs his name to every pass, which is true even though not every negative result is the fault of the quarterback.

Thanks, I was unable to find stats like these posted before.

Blitz 34/71

QB Under Pressure 8/30

QB Knocked Down 3/18

QB Hit by Defender 0/4

These numbers are huge..

45/105 when under pressure,

That is 42.8% completion percentage, and I'm sure most of his errant throws are in this category. This accounts for 60 of his incomplete passes. Between underthrown overthrown and wide, that accounts for 41 of his incompletions.

We don't know the exact breakdown but it sure does paint a picture that Luck is still getting used to playing under pressure.

We don't know the exact breakdown but it sure does paint a picture that Luck is still getting used to playing under pressure.

Pressure is relative. There's pressure, then there's pressure.

When I look at Luck's performance to date, it's complicated. With the poor protection, lack of running game and inexperienced skilled players, you have to give him the benefit of the doubt. And on average, I haven't seen many receivers running wide open. Even a high percentage of his passes to Reggie have seemingly gone into tight coverage. That said, on some of the few occasions he has had wide open receivers, he's overthrown them. So, it's complicated. We won't have a full picture to judge him on for quite some time - certainly not in 2012. But consindering the quality of team he stepped into, an organization in full overhaul, I'm not sure you can complain about 3-3. At least we're still relevant and have something to talk about. At 1-5, we're talking free agency and the draft.

Most people that actually know football will tell you Luck has actually lived up to expectations, which is very impressive. RG III may be good for now, but he seems like a QB that will start off strong but not have a great career, I have a feeling he will have injury problems and not progress after his 2nd/3rd year. I am fairly certain Luck will have the better career and easily be the best QB of his class.

Like I said, give him time. I would be less likely to talk smack if certain folks would get off their high horse about this new direction and admit that its not going as swimmingly as they had hoped..

I can hold my tongue for so long, but after a while this is going to get awkward.

Huh? 3-3 right now is pretty darn good if you ask me. This was a team that won 2 games last year and basically started over. I'm not sure what people you are talking about but i think most people expected this to take a little time.

Thanks, I was unable to find stats like these posted before.

Blitz 34/71

QB Under Pressure 8/30

QB Knocked Down 3/18

QB Hit by Defender 0/4

These numbers are huge..

45/105 when under pressure,

That is 42.8% completion percentage, and I'm sure most of his errant throws are in this category. This accounts for 60 of his incomplete passes. Between underthrown overthrown and wide, that accounts for 41 of his incompletions.

Yeah, for whatever reason most sites (ESPN/NFL/YAHOO/CNNSI/etc) get their information from Stats inc, but CNNSI posts more information or more detailed splits for whatever reason. The only negative thing about is that type of data is only available for the current season, so a player like Manning & Brady you can't go back to last year, or 2004 vs. 2007 or any type of analysis like that, it's only for the current year, and usually updated by mid-week so some of those splits aren't entirely accurate at this point because they do not include Sunday's game. For some splits they are already updated, but they have to look at the film to count some accurately.

To me the biggest question about the #'s you listed as whether or not they are cumulative or separate.

The same play could count as an attempt for vs. the blitz/pressure/contact, etc. So I don't know if adding them up is as easy as saying 10 under throws and 10 over throws are 20 passes.

It is interesting to look at.

totally different ran offences and teams. they have rg3 run all these weird option plays, and he barely throws the ball compaired to Luck. They have a better line, and oh I dont know...there defense is better also. Was fliiping back and forth to see what the hype about RG3 was. all I saw was media driven crap. dude has nothing on Luck, period.

totally different ran offences and teams. they have rg3 run all these weird option plays, and he barely throws the ball compaired to Luck. They have a better line, and oh I dont know...there defense is better also. Was fliiping back and forth to see what the hype about RG3 was. all I saw was media driven crap. dude has nothing on Luck, period.

The media wouldn't be talking about him so much if he wasn't playing lights out. The guy has looked GREAT so far this year, his play is phenomenal but his team and defense makes a lot of mistakes and sometimes dumb penalties that wind up in losses. Yesterday's loss was the latest example. Luck is good but no need to rag on 10 to justify it.

The media wouldn't be talking about him so much if he wasn't playing lights out. The guy has looked GREAT so far this year, his play is phenomenal but his team and defense makes a lot of mistakes and sometimes dumb penalties that wind up in losses. Yesterday's loss was the latest example. Luck is good but no need to rag on 10 to justify it.

phenomenal is a stretch...but I'll tell you what. He is doing what the coaching staff is wanting him to do, all these crazy option plays, run the ball. sprinkled in with a little pass. it reminds me more of big bens rookie year.

phenomenal is a stretch...but I'll tell you what. He is doing what the coaching staff is wanting him to do, all these crazy option plays, run the ball. sprinkled in with a little pass. it reminds me more of big bens rookie year.

Well if you get oranges you don't make apple juice lol. There was a little bit of criticism after the concussion but a few more electric bursts, including a 76-yard score, and no one in the media complained about the running part anymore. It helps that Morris is also a standout rookie who makes the offense even more four dimensional. That team is going to be good for years to come, all they needed was a legitimate QB. Griffin will do for the Redskins what 12 is going to do for the Colts...gotta watch these offenses in the future, will be very entertaining.

This thread is starting to look like a Curtis Painter drive. To the thread title, yes. Most players are over hyped nowadays. It means diddly squat. If we are honest, AL has yet to develop a decent long throw. I don't care what the stats tell us or doesn't tell us. But it is early, and a lot of his efforts are throw aways. In fact, maybe we should start a thread about how his throw aways are not as good as Peyton's.

Is he better that Griffin? I don't really care. Year 2 is where these guys will stand up or fade into relative obscurity. Luck doesn't need to be better than anybody, past or present. He needs to be able to lead this team to some NFL Championships. Peyton was (is) arguably better than any QB these last 15 years, but Brady, Big Ben and Eli have more rings. The relentless comparisons are a waste of time.

His accuracy is in question. So it should be, but I take comfort and hope in his upturn in college from year 1 - 3.

His mettle during some of his game winning drives has been outstanding. This is key.

The future is bright. We should be happy with his progress to date. This boy has 'winner' running through him.

Love it - member(s) start threads to complain about other threads/topics discussing the topic(s) that the member is tired of seeing .... what a society we live in!

I'm glad you love the thread I started about un-realistic colts fans who want to nit-pick at everything the kid does. Just please can you next time contribute to the thread instead of telling us how much you love my thread?

see I can be snarky too. :thmup:

Don't know if your being sarcastic or not but yes I started this thread and i'm sick of seeing the kid picked apart by armchair qb's. I don't know why you felt the need to really contribute nothing to the thread except for a snarky comment? Is it possibly because your posting history indicates that your one of the armchair qb's calling him out for his mistakes? If you don't like the thread, then why comment in the thread? You have a choice just like everybody else on the internet to choose where you go and what you see.

Let me offer you some advice that I have used myself. If you don't like the topic of the thread or don't like what the OP says simply use the back button. Don't go three pages into the thread to post snarky comments that don't contribute to the discussion at all. :wall:

Em, should you not have just used the back button there sir? Sort of follow your own advice? Not flaming you, just highlighting what you suggested is easier said than done....

you're in the NFL now. nobody cares what you did in college anymore. and to be honest with you Weeden throws the best deep ball so far

I'm not so sure about that. I was a bit busier tonight than anticipated but I finally got around to it...

Deep Ball Accuracy

To warrant consideration the pass must travel at least 30 yards from the LOS. However, the numbers provided for distance in the air are taken from the QB's drop-back. If there was pass interference or illegal contact on the intended receiver on the play that prevents a completion, I will not judge that play but I will list it for the record.

On grading: Nothing fancy here. +1 if it was a good throw, -1 if it was a bad throw, 0 if it's unclear how good or bad the throw was because of confounding factors.

ROBERT GRIFFIN

v. Giants

Q3 (14:28) - to Leonard Hankerson

Distance in Air: 53 yards

Result: Incompletion - Off Hankerson's fingertips.

[Photographic Evidence]

Grade: +1

Q4 (2:17) - to Aldrick Robinson

Distance in the Air: 65 yards

Result: Incompletion - Robinson seemed to change direction and drift towards the outside as the ball was in the air. The ball landed right where he was originally headed.

[(Sequential) Photographic Evidence [1] [2] [3]]

Grade: 0

Q4 (1:38) - to Santana Moss

Distance in the Air: 36 yards

Result: TD - Ball drops right into Moss' hands for what should have been the game-winning TD.

[Photographic Evidence]

v. Vikings

N/A

v. Falcons

N/A

v. Buccaneers

Q2 (12:52) - to Pierre Garcon

*DEFENSIVE PASS INTERFERENCE*

Q3 (8:22) - to Pierre Garcon

*OFFENSIVE PASS INTERFERENCE*

v. Bengals

Q4 (9:36) - to Leonard Hankerson

Distance in the Air: 57 yards

Result: Incompletion - Overthrown by a yard or two but there was a lot of contact on the play and the safety clearly impeded Hankerson's path to the ball. CBS announcers were convinced it was a defensive PI and I'm inclined to agree.

[No screencap here because there's no way I could do this one justice with still frames.]

v. Rams

Q2 (6:28) - to Leonard Hankerson

Distance in the Air: 61 yards

Result: TD - Right into the outstretched arms of Hankerson.

[Photographic Evidence]

Q4 (10:44) - to Aldrick Robinson

Distance in the Air: 63 yards

Result: Incompletion - Hits Robinson right in the chest and bounces off.

[Photographic Evidence]

v. Saints

Q3 (11:35) - to Aldrick Robinson

TOTALS: 6 clean deep throws, +4 (w/no negatives)

ANDREW LUCK

v. Browns

Q2 (2:04) - to Reggie Wayne (a little iffy on whether this is long enough to count but it's close so I'll give Luck the benefit of the doubt)

Distance in the Air: 34 yards

Result: Incompletion - Ball looked catchable but Reggie didn't extend for it.

[Photographic Evidence]

Q2 (1:58) - to LaVon Brazill

Distance in the Air: 40 yards

Result: Incompletion - Threw it about two yards out of bounds on the sideline. Brazill didn't give him much space on the sideline with his route but there was room to the inside to make the throw.

[Photographic Evidence]

Grade: -1

v. Jets

Q3 (12:16) - to Reggie Wayne

*ILLEGAL CONTACT*

Q3 (9:10) - to Donnie Avery

Distance in Air: 57 yards

Result: Incompletion - Avery had a step on the defender and did his best to come back to it but the underthrown ball hits the defender in the back.

[Photographic Evidence]

Q4 (14:54) - to Reggie Wayne

Distance in the Air: 38 yards

Result: Incompletion - Wayne had several steps on his man and there was no help over the top. Luck overthrew him, plain and simple.

[Photographic Evidence]

v. Packers

Q1 (9:08) - to TY Hilton

Result: Incompletion - Great throw but Hilton loses it as he gets shoved out of bounds.

[Photographic Evidence]

v. Jaguars

Q1 (3:48) - to TY Hilton (technically doesn't meet the criteria as the ball traveled just shy of 30 yards from the LOS but it was very close and I'm feeling generous)

Distance in the Air: 32 yards

Result: TD - Hilton beat his man and Luck put it right on him. Excellent throw.

[Photographic Evidence]

Q2 (10:52) - to Donnie Avery

Distance in the Air: 55 yards

Result: Incompletion - Luck underthrows a streaking Avery and the DB nearly picks it off.

[Photographic Evidence]

Q2 (2:17) - to Donnie Avery

Result: Incompletion - Avery got his hands on it in a diving attempt and took some questionable contact as the ball came in. Luck gave him a chance... but not much of one.

[Photographic Evidence]

Grade: +0.5 (Breaking convention here but it's the only fair way for me to grade this particular play.)

v. Vikings

Q1 (2:18) - to Donnie Avery

Distance in Air: 45 yards

Result: Completion - Avery had to slow up a little to catch it but it was an easy adjustment to make.

[Photographic Evidence]

Q2 (0:14) - to Reggie Wayne

Distance in Air: 38 yards

Result: TD - Touch pass to a hole in the Cover 2 is on the money. Luck's best throw as a pro, in my opinion.

[Photographic Evidence]

v. Bears

N/A

TOTALS: 11 clean deep throws, +1.5

There are really only two objectives when going deep: (1) don't throw it to a spot where a defender can make a play on it and (2) give your guy a chance to haul it in. On nearly half of his deep throws, Luck wasn't able to do both of those things even when he had a lot of space to place the ball. Griffin, on the other hand, was remarkably accurate in throwing to a spot that met both objectives on all of his throws but his receivers didn't help him finish the play about half the time.

It also seemed a bit like Luck had trouble consistently putting the ball out in fornt of guys once they got further than 40 yards downfield. That's still plenty of arm for the NFL but it was a stark contrast to Griffin's ability to uncork 60 yard bombs that were on point.

I'm not so sure about that. I was a bit busier tonight than anticipated but I finally got around to it...

Deep Ball Accuracy

To warrant consideration the pass must travel at least 30 yards from the LOS. However, the numbers provided for distance in the air are taken from the QB's drop-back. If there was pass interference or illegal contact on the intended receiver on the play that prevents a completion, I will not judge that play but I will list it for the record.

On grading: Nothing fancy here. +1 if it was a good throw, -1 if it was a bad throw, 0 if it's unclear how good or bad the throw was because of confounding factors.

ROBERT GRIFFIN

v. Giants

Q3 (14:28) - to Leonard Hankerson

Distance in Air: 53 yards

Result: Incompletion - Off Hankerson's fingertips.

[Photographic Evidence]

Q4 (2:17) - to Aldrick Robinson

Distance in the Air: 65 yards

Result: Incompletion - Robinson seemed to change direction and drift towards the outside as the ball was in the air. The ball landed right where he was originally headed.

[(Sequential) Photographic Evidence [1] [2] [3]]

Q4 (1:38) - to Santana Moss

Distance in the Air: 36 yards

Result: TD - Ball drops right into Moss' hands for what should have been the game-winning TD.

[Photographic Evidence]

v. Vikings

N/A

v. Falcons

N/A

v. Buccaneers

Q2 (12:52) - to Pierre Garcon

Q3 (8:22) - to Pierre Garcon

*OFFENSIVE PASS INTERFERENCE*

v. Bengals

Q4 (9:36) - to Leonard Hankerson

Distance in the Air: 57 yards

Result: Incompletion - Overthrown by a yard or two but there was a lot of contact on the play and the safety clearly impeded Hankerson's path to the ball. CBS announcers were convinced it was a defensive PI and I'm inclined to agree.

[No screencap here because there's no way I could do this one justice with still frames.]

v. Rams

Q2 (6:28) - to Leonard Hankerson

Distance in the Air: 61 yards

Result: TD - Right into the outstretched arms of Hankerson.

[Photographic Evidence]

Q4 (10:44) - to Aldrick Robinson

Distance in the Air: 63 yards

Result: Incompletion - Hits Robinson right in the chest and bounces off.

[Photographic Evidence]

v. Saints

Q3 (11:35) - to Aldrick Robinson

TOTALS: 6 clean deep throws, +4 (w/no negatives)

ANDREW LUCK

v. Browns

Q2 (2:04) - to Reggie Wayne (a little iffy on whether this is long enough to count but it's close so I'll give Luck the benefit of the doubt)

Distance in the Air: 34 yards

Result: Incompletion - Ball looked catchable but Reggie didn't extend for it.

[Photographic Evidence]

Q2 (1:58) - to LaVon Brazill

Distance in the Air: 40 yards

Result: Incompletion - Threw it about two yards out of bounds on the sideline. Brazill didn't give him much space on the sideline with his route but there was room to the inside to make the throw.

[Photographic Evidence]

v. Jets

Q3 (12:16) - to Reggie Wayne

*ILLEGAL CONTACT*

Q3 (9:10) - to Donnie Avery

Distance in Air: 57 yards

Result: Incompletion - Avery had a step on the defender and did his best to come back to it but the underthrown ball hits the defender in the back.

[Photographic Evidence]

Q4 (14:54) - to Reggie Wayne

Result: Incompletion - Wayne had several steps on his man and there was no help over the top. Luck overthrew him, plain and simple.

[Photographic Evidence]

v. Packers

Q1 (9:08) - to TY Hilton

Result: Incompletion - Great throw but Hilton loses it as he gets shoved out of bounds.

[Photographic Evidence]

v. Jaguars

Q1 (3:48) - to TY Hilton (technically doesn't meet the criteria as the ball traveled just shy of 30 yards from the LOS but it was very close and I'm feeling generous)

Distance in the Air: 32 yards

Result: TD - Hilton beat his man and Luck put it right on him. Excellent throw.

[Photographic Evidence]

Q2 (10:52) - to Donnie Avery

Result: Incompletion - Luck underthrows a streaking Avery and the DB nearly picks it off.

[Photographic Evidence]

Q2 (2:17) - to Donnie Avery

Result: Incompletion - Avery got his hands on it in a diving attempt and took some questionable contact as the ball came in. Luck gave him a chance... but not much of one.

[Photographic Evidence]

Grade: +0.5 (Breaking convention here but it's the only fair way for me to grade this particular play.)

v. Vikings

Q1 (2:18) - to Donnie Avery

Distance in Air: 45 yards

Result: Completion - Avery had to slow up a little to catch it but it was an easy adjustment to make.

[Photographic Evidence]

Q2 (0:14) - to Reggie Wayne

Distance in Air: 38 yards

Result: TD - Touch pass to a hole in the Cover 2 is on the money. Luck's best throw as a pro, in my opinion.

[Photographic Evidence]

v. Bears

N/A

TOTALS: 11 clean deep throws, +1.5

There are really only two objectives when going deep: (1) don't throw it to a spot where a defender can make a play on it and (2) give your guy a chance to haul it in. On nearly half of his deep throws, Luck wasn't able to do both of those things even when he had a lot of space to place the ball. Griffin, on the other hand, was remarkably accurate in throwing to a spot that met both objectives on all of his throws but his receivers didn't help him finish the play about half the time.

It also seemed a bit like Luck had trouble consistently putting the ball out in fornt of guys once they got further than 40 yards downfield. That's still plenty of arm for the NFL but it was a stark contrast to Griffin's ability to uncork 60 yard bombs that were on point.

Nice work there III. BTW, what's Griffin's W/L Pct at the moment? The only stat that counts.

That said, I think many on here are obsessed on how well Griffin plays. I will only care when he's opposite our D. The rest is a just a pile of kidney beans. But anyone who doesn't rate the kid is blind.

Ummm...just no. Offensive line is atrocious when RG3 dropsback. The wrinkles are to mask the offensive line's deficiencies. If RG3 had a defense the Skins would be 6-1. They are currently on pace to allow a franchise record 6619.2 yards per game (3rd most in NFL history I believe). Also on pace to allow a NFL record 5254 passing yards. Luck would be 0-6 with this defense. I love destroying ignorance with facts...loluck

Luck was extremely accurate in college, (with the exceptin of the deep ball), and now all of a sudden he's got "accuracy issues?" What's changed since just a few months ago?

1. The speed of the game, which he's adjusting to.

2. He had a great O-line at Stanford and a horrible O-line with the Colts.

3. He had a great run game at Stanford and an almost non-existent rung game with the Colts. Teams don't worry about the run and pin their ears back and pressure Luck right as soon as the ball is snapped. (Last game was a welcome relief).

4.. He's in a new system that is 5th in the league for most 40+ yard pass attempts--we're not playing to Luck's strengths.

5.. The new system doesn't use check downs as much as they probably should, which would help to increase his completion %.

6. Rookie receivers, rookie TE's, rookie RB, Wayne double covered, Avery in new system coming off injured knee.

So either Luck has been drafted and has transformed into someone else, who is less accurate, or the team is going through growing pains, resulting in some less than perfect execution.

I totally agree with all of this. Especially the bold part.

Arians needs to learn how to adjust to the talent that he has and quit trying to make our personnel fit the Pittsburgh mold he used.

I would like to see the offense pick up the pace a bit. They have done better as the weeks go by but they really seem to click in the 2 minute offense, Luck especially. I know it will come with time and it is a relatively young, new unit but he just seems to be at his best when they go at a faster pace.

Oh yeah. All last year I heard about Luck especially when it became apparent the Colts were getting the 1st pick. Andrew Luck was the most hyped player in the history of the draft.

Every sport is obsessed with overhyping the GREATEST player or prodigy.

LeBron James for basketball, Sydney Crosby for hockey, Bryce Harper for baseball and now Luck for football.