Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vick Ballard tentative?

krunk

colts-35.png Colts | Vick Ballard tentative? Fri Oct 19, 12:36 PM

Indianapolis Colts RB Vick Ballard had only 25 yards on eight carries in Week 6 against the New York Jets mainly because the offensive line didn't create much push or space to run in. However, Ballard was also indecisive and slow to hit holes.

Our view: Ballard faces Cleveland at home this week, but the Colts lack of a consistent running game all year means he's a desperation RB2/Flex play at best this week.

Link to story

Beat writer Mike Chappell is skeptical that Vick Ballard is the answer to the Colts' running-game woes.

We noticed that Ballard missed the few open holes that his underwhelming offensive line provided last week, and Chappell pointed out that he was "indecisive and slow to the hole."

Beat writer Mike Chappell is skeptical that Vick Ballard is the answer to the Colts' running-game woes.

There isn't a back in the league that is the answer to the Colts running game woes. The answer is to fix the offensive line. The backs aren't above criticism, but such criticism seems like wasted energy when there's practically nowhere for them to run.

We noticed that Ballard missed the few open holes that his underwhelming offensive line provided last week, and Chappell pointed out that he was "indecisive and slow to the hole."

As I was watching the game, I was saying the same thing to myself. Ballard had some holes that were open, but he somehow either tripped up over his own feet or he ran into the wrong hole.

There isn't a back in the league that is the answer to the Colts running game woes. The answer is to fix the offensive line. The backs aren't above criticism, but such criticism seems like wasted energy when there's practically nowhere for them to run.

Donald Brown would have taken advantage of what was there. The run blocking was not that terrible.

If Brown played, they would not have had to leave away from the running game as early as they did.

Donald Brown would have taken advantage of what was there. The run blocking was not that terrible.

If Brown played, they would not have had to leave away from the running game as early as they did.

Ballard is a rookie, it was his first start.If Brown played the outside run game, and passing game would have been a little better.

That may be the case. Ballard did miss some opportunities, and he doesn't have the speed to get outside the way Brown does. At the very least, Brown would have been able to attack differently than Ballard did.

But that doesn't change the fact that their defensive front outplayed our blocking, and that's been the same issue all season long (really, going all the back to 2008).

We can't use the "rookie" excuse too much when it comes to runningbacks. Trent Richardson ( I know he was a high first round draft pick) is doing well, but Alfred Morris, a rookie and a late round draft pick is doing much better. As is the rookie runningback for the Patriots. Yes, it was Ballard's first game starting, but it wasn't his first game playing.

The O-line is still a major issue with our run game, but I did have high hopes for Ballard. Let's hope he fairs better this week.

That may be the case. Ballard did miss some opportunities, and he doesn't have the speed to get outside the way Brown does. At the very least, Brown would have been able to attack differently than Ballard did.

But that doesn't change the fact that their defensive front outplayed our blocking, and that's been the same issue all season long (really, going all the back to 2008).

I think if you gave the bulk of those carries to Delone Carter, he may have even extended some of those drives a bit better than Ballard. I want Ballard to do well, but I don't know if it is there.

Sure Ballard missed a couple (3) holes (all to the right side where it appeared the play was not supposed to go anyway) it happens, running backs will miss a hole sometimes they all do it, and he did some dancing to but as far as where the play was designed to go the holes just were not there, This is how its going to be all year long, we just have to wait to FA or the draft to upgrade then we can address the problem

Sure Ballard missed a couple (3) holes (all to the right side where it appeared the play was not supposed to go anyway) it happens, running backs will miss a hole sometimes they all do it, and he did some dancing to but as far as where the play was designed to go the holes just were not there, This is how its going to be all year long, we just have to wait to FA or the draft to upgrade then we can address the problem

Tell Em Gavin! haha

Please keep saying that.......

You want to give Ballard the benefit of the doubt

..but he'd probably exchange sympathy for a little blocking so he's not hit in the backfield....

If we can get him to the line without having to dodge an angry linebacker......I think we'll see a strong game Sunday

But if we cant. we wont/

I believe this to some extent, but let me ask you. What if we had MJD or Ray Rice? I see them, time and time again, make something out of nothing. MJD's line is equally as horrible as ours, yet he finds a way to gain positive yardage. And when he's hit, he continues to gain yards, at least 1-2 more. We gain zero yards after conact.

As I was watching the game, I was saying the same thing to myself. Ballard had some holes that were open, but he somehow either tripped up over his own feet or he ran into the wrong hole.

actually i think he tripped over a lineman's feet both times...

I believe this to some extent, but let me ask you. What if we had MJD or Ray Rice? I see them, time and time again, make something out of nothing. MJD's line is equally as horrible as ours, yet he finds a way to gain positive yardage. And when he's hit, he continues to gain yards, at least 1-2 more. We gain zero yards after conact.

1) MJD's line is not as horrible as ours. His line is considerably better, and I'm not sure how anyone could ever suggest otherwise. Same for Ray Rice.

2) Mouthfire is doing a weekly review of how our backs perform when they're hit behind the line of scrimmage, and what they do after contact. We gain a considerable amount of yards after contact. He even compared one of Brown's performances to one of Arian Foster's performances, and Brown did a better job of making something out of nothing. Just one comparison, but it's telling.

I would rather have one of the top five backs in the NFL: MJD, Rice, Peterson, Foster, Forte, or whoever else you think belongs in that discussion. Absolutely I would. And because they're better, maybe they would be able to do more than our average starter, or our rookie backup. That wouldn't surprise me. But our run game would still be a weakness, because our line play is just not good.

The one position in the nfl that is the easiest to transition into is running back. Outside of protection coverages running the ball is all about instincts and ability. That said a nervous rookie getting his first action is understandable to miss a few holes. When guys press because they lack success they try to force things and make mistakes and instead of simply following where the play is drawn up and being patient with his blocks they make mistakes. I think he will get better as the season progresses.

I'm not sure what to make of Cleveland. They had a top 10 defense last year but have struggled off and on this year. I don't know which team we will get sunday.

Sorry, but if you thought Ballard was going to become Ray Rice or MJD in his fifth game and first start, I think you need to lower your expectation a bit.

Sorry, but if you thought Ballard was going to become Ray Rice or MJD in his fifth game and first start, I think you need to lower your expectation a bit.

didnt say I expected Ballard to be like MJD or Ray Rice. My point was entirely different.

Just stumbled into this surfing the website late at night....

Here is Arians on Ballard....

(OnVick Ballardicon-article-link.gif) “Everything was positive (with him), but we just didn’t give it to him enough. I went to the ‘hurry-up’ because we’ve been so successful, and I thought we’d be successful. It takes some of his momentum away as far as getting carries. He’s the type of back who needs to tote it and tote it. Right now, that’s not our style. There’s no doubt some guys do (get better with more carries). He’s one of those guys.”

I have been on this issue for some time speaking of our backs and our oline, and what I have noticed is most fans feel that our run game is week due to our oline. I agree to an extent but I dont put all the blame on the line. For those who say Foster, Rice, Peterson even Berry Sander could'nt be productive behind this line please...Berry's line was just as bad as ours dont disgrace Berry by acting as if he became great due to his oline. Peterson, Rice or Foster would be much more productive then our backs, they all have great field vision, great balance and they dont get caught up in to much dancing at the line of scrimmage. They run north to south keep their heads up and hit the holes or make their own holes. With a upgraded line I truly believe our run game would still not be were it should. Brown has done a nice job so far this season but as I said before on this site he gets injured a lot, I just dont see Brown as an NFL starter although he earned a shot after last year, but by far he is the best back we have. Ballard and Carter are not the answer either. Ballard could be a 2nd or 3rd string back and Carters confidence is shot. Still lots of time this season for them to prove me wrong, but as fans will say we have to fix the line first, but I dont understant why we cant fix both the line and running game at the same time. What I dont want to see is we fix the line first and dont pick up a good back in the offseason or draft and everyone clearly sees what I've been saying, take a good look at other teams backs then look at ours, I am a huge Colts fan but a blind man can see the gap of talent between our backs and the other 31 teams, but I know its coming someone will get up here and try and justify why all the blame needs to go to the oline....

AKA if we do get a running back this upcoming offseason it will confirm to me that someone in the front office feels the same way I do....

Well Gavin how many carries do you need to see in order to feel if he belongs or not?

well a whole heck of alot more then Brown and Ballard have got, Ray Rice had 22 carries his very first game, know how many yards he had? 64, his next game he had 5 carries for 21 yards, it took Rice 9 games to crack 100 yards behind what was a pretty good O Line in Baltimore his rookie year (still is a pretty good O Line despite losing Grubbs). Running Back is about trusting the 5 guys in front of you to open up holes, if you dont trust them (normally with good reason such as a new blocking scheme like we have and multiple new starters also like we have) then you dance around http://www.nfl.com/d...-brown?id=79543 here is some info on Brown and info on Ballard http://nflsfuture.co...couting-report/

Thinks for the info and thats a good point you made on Rice all Im going to say is I hope your right and Ballard pans out for us, but Rice wasnt a late round pick the raven had more of an idea of what they were drafting, completely different story here. You never answered my question or maybe you did. What have you seen out of Ballard so far with only 29 carries anything or are you giving him the benefit of doubt do to poor line play.

Thinks for the info and thats a good point you made on Rice all Im going to say is I hope your right and Ballard pans out for us, but Rice wasnt a late round pick the raven had more of an idea of what they were drafting, completely different story here. You never answered my question or maybe you did. What have you seen out of Ballard so far with only 29 carries anything or are you giving him the benefit of doubt do to poor line play.

So far I have seen Ballard dance some, but like I said thats do to the O Line not opening up holes, I havent seen enough of Ballard to give you an idea, he doesn't appear to have as much power as some made it seem though although he can get you tough yards for sure, he is a hard runner, I will have an idea the more carries he gets since Brown is out another week

well a whole heck of alot more then Brown and Ballard have got, Ray Rice had 22 carries his very first game, know how many yards he had? 64, his next game he had 5 carries for 21 yards, it took Rice 9 games to crack 100 yards behind what was a pretty good O Line in Baltimore his rookie year (still is a pretty good O Line despite losing Grubbs). Running Back is about trusting the 5 guys in front of you to open up holes, if you dont trust them (normally with good reason such as a new blocking scheme like we have and multiple new starters also like we have) then you dance around http://www.nfl.com/d...-brown?id=79543 here is some info on Brown and info on Ballard http://nflsfuture.co...couting-report/

You do realize both of these couting reports are based off of what Brown and Ballard did in college.