Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on the Cleveland Browns

Flash7

I've had a chance to go back and watch their games on NLF Rewind and I wanted to share my thoughts on our upcoming opponent.

1. The Browns like to run the ball. I mean they really like to run the ball. There were some games when the run wasn't working and they kept trying to run. As we all know, run defense is our weakness.

2. Brandon Weeden has a live arm, but not much of a supporting cast. The Brown's receivers are raw and have dropped several passes. Their passing offense consists of numerour screen passes, short out routes, and a few shots deep down the field--which as of late has shown some success. Not much of an intermediate passing attack.

3. Their secondary jumped out at me, escpecially in the Bengals game when they had Haden back. They contested almost every pass and made good tackles when and if the opposing the receivers did catch the ball.

4. Their O-line is better than average but not great. Their D-line is below average, so Luck may have some time.

These are my observations. How do you think we should gameplan against the Browns? What's your prediction for the game?

I watched the bengals game, and have to say weeden is nothing to be scared of. Almost every single pass he threw was a dump off to his rb, or a quick out towards the sideline for a short gain.

Unless the browns come up big on D, or run back a couple returns I'd be shocked if the colts lose this game.

I watched the bengals game, and have to say weeden is nothing to be scared of. Almost every single pass he threw was a dump off to his rb, or a quick out towards the sideline for a short gain.

Unless the browns come up big on D, or run back a couple returns I'd be shocked if the colts lose this game.

After getting ran over by the Jags and embarrassed by the Jets I really do not see how any fan can say they would be shocked by a loss this Sunday.

Sanchez is not much better than Weeden and Sanchez really had to do nothing against us because we were getting embarrassed by their running game. Richardson and Hardesty is definitely as good of a combo as what the Jets had last Sunday. If we do not improve massively this Sunday Trent Richardson will probably easily drop 120 yards on us.

We got to slow Richardson and Hardesty down and make Weeden beat us. That is something we did not do at all against the Jets or Jags. If we do that then we should be able to force Weeden into mistakes and get up quickly against them which will nullify Richardson and Hardesty even more.

I do think this should be a win as long as we can slow Trent down, but I would not be shocked at all to see us lose this game.

honestly i dont know its a toss up. their offense is going just like the Jets and Jags. better run game then passing. BUT they can shock the NFL world by throwing a bomb down the field. saw it in the browns/giants game in the first qtr when the browns got off to a fast start. they ran, ran , ran and ran some more then the second possession they threw a 60 yard pass (50 yards in air) hit his receiver in stride perfectly for 6. Gabbert did it to us, and i believe if the jets had holmes he prob would have done it to us also.

at the same time, if the colts can minimize turnovers they should win this game. they will have to score on every possession.

Colts 27

Browns 20

I think it will come down to the final 2 minutes again.

honestly i dont know its a toss up. their offense is going just like the Jets and Jags. better run game then passing. BUT they can shock the NFL world by throwing a bomb down the field. saw it in the browns/giants game in the first qtr when the browns got off to a fast start. they ran, ran , ran and ran some more then the second possession they threw a 60 yard pass (50 yards in air) hit his receiver in stride perfectly for 6. Gabbert did it to us, and i believe if the jets had holmes he prob would have done it to us also.

at the same time, if the colts can minimize turnovers they should win this game. they will have to score on every possession.

Colts 27

Browns 20

I think it will come down to the final 2 minutes again.

They sure do like to run, which worries me on a few fronts. 1) We can't stop the run; 2) Like in the Jets game, we need more possessions. A good run game will keep our offense on the sidelines.

If it does come down to the final 2 minutes, I like our chances. :)

Actually they like to pass. 64.3% of their plays have been passing. They have been in some close games too where they didn't have to abandon the run but still passed. On the other hand they could see what teams are doing to us and totally change.

They started out the season as a pass heavy team and quickly realized that in order to stay competitive and limit turn overs, they would have to run. More recently, and this is my opinion, they've focused on the run. At least this is what my eyes have told me after watching their recent games. More often than not, they've found themselves in a hole and have had to throw, but I think running is their preferance.

I've had a chance to go back and watch their games on NLF Rewind and I wanted to share my thoughts on our upcoming opponent.

1. The Browns like to run the ball. I mean they really like to run the ball. There were some games when the run wasn't working and they kept trying to run. As we all know, run defense is our weakness.

2. Brandon Weeden has a live arm, but not much of a supporting cast. The Brown's receivers are raw and have dropped several passes. Their passing offense consists of numerour screen passes, short out routes, and a few shots deep down the field--which as of late has shown some success. Not much of an intermediate passing attack.

3. Their secondary jumped out at me, escpecially in the Bengals game when they had Haden back. They contested almost every pass and made good tackles when and if the opposing the receivers did catch the ball.

4. Their O-line is better than average but not great. Their D-line is below average, so Luck may have some time.

These are my observations. How do you think we should gameplan against the Browns? What's your prediction for the game?

My thoughts are your post is well thought out, and I like the comments from other posters here. A couple of my thoughts:
  • Richardson is a true load. He was banged up pretty hard last week....a shot in the ribs with some 'cartilage issues.' The following says he will pracice today, and should be ready for Sunday. http://www.sbnation.com/fantasy/2012/10/17/3516856/trent-richardson-practices-wednesday-improving-fantasy-outlook-for
  • When a team beats a staunch division rival, confidence rises.....Weeden seemed to grow up against the 'evil' Bengals. Like Colt Strong says above, why be scared of Weeden....we have faced Rogers and Cutler.....and the GOAT Tim Tebow (OK....sarcasm...but we got hammered.) :)
  • Lollygagger makes a nice point: Fujita is out...will this finally open up the middle for a true breakout game for Fleener, and continued hard-nosed effort from D Allen?

I am going with the Colts. This may be too early because of lack of injury information....Freeney was limping badly at the end of last week.....Mathis out again. It may just come down to another special teams play....AV for the win? Traditionally low scoring games....16-13 Colts. (I hate predictions.....:)) :colts: :colts: :colts: :colts: :colts:

They sure do like to run, which worries me on a few fronts. 1) We can't stop the run; 2) Like in the Jets game, we need more possessions. A good run game will keep our offense on the sidelines.

If it does come down to the final 2 minutes, I like our chances. :)

well if our offense moves the ball, and also cuts the 3 and outs to a minimum along with the turnovers, then that is less time for the browns offense to be on the field. and i agree i like our chances also if it comes down to the final 2 minutes. we should be 3-0 in the final 2 minutes lol.

The Browns are young. and it seems majority of their TD scoring drives are plays 20yds or longer. so they are a big play threat. their DBs can play with anyone but they tend to give up the big play as well. Mistakes made on both sides of the ball. I think their OL is better than media/other fans give them credit. It's hard to gain much from this past Bengals game at least for me because they played them in week 2. i think the second time around you know what adjustments you need to make. We have to get on the scoreboard first. I think (hope) we will be better Vs the run this week.

The Browns Defense takes the ball away, they're 4th in the league in takeaways with 14. but they give the ball away just as much as they takeaway with 13 giveaways. they also give up passing yards in bunches. and total of giving up 425 total yards a game(30th). so we will definitely have our oppurtunities just cant have the turnovers

I hate predict, for I'm not a seer. Besides, this season is crazy enough, underdogs may beat top dogs...there's no sure game.

But:

• Our D-line is pretty war-torn, however Freeney and Davis may be back
  • We are good at LOS, we gathered two relatively good teams' scalp (Vikings and Packers), whilst we lost to Jags at home field.
  • Luck very likely won't be terrible as last week he was. He will play decent at least. He' darn good, but he needs some support from the O-line.
  • I expect our WRs being more opened than last week they were (Browns' pass D isn't such good)
  • Browns love run the ball, and this is what they are really threat. And we all know how our run-D works...
  • Weeden is decent, but our pass-D is ranked high.

I think this is a balanced matchup, and that's all. Won't predict final result.

I hate predict, for I'm not a seer. Besides, this season is crazy enough, underdogs may beat top dogs...there's no sure game.

But:

• Our D-line is pretty war-torn, however Freeney and Davis may be back
  • We are good at LOS, we gathered two relatively good teams' scalp (Vikings and Packers), whilst we lost to Jags at home field.
  • Luck very likely won't be terrible as last week he was. He will play decent at least. He' darn good, but he needs some support from the O-line.
  • I expect our WRs being more opened than last week they were (Browns' pass D isn't such good)
  • Browns love run the ball, and this is what they are really threat. And we all know how our run-D works...
  • Weeden is decent, but our pass-D is ranked high.

I think this is a balanced matchup, and that's all. Won't predict final result.

I like the analysis...especially at home.....I feel a huge number 12 game coming......hoping Davis contributes to the effort this week!!

Have you actually studied weeden? He literally does nothing but dump it to his running backs (which is essentially a long hand off) or a quick 5 yd out to the sideline. He is nothing to be feared. Not in the least.

No fear....I did not fear a Gabbert 80 yard fluke either :) I am with ya though :)