Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lets Talk Davis

John Waylon

The first PI call I could live with because he had the guys' shoulder pad, but the second PI call against him was BAD. He gave a quick jam at the line and proceeded to run with the receiver down the sideline. He never grabbed, nor hindered the receivers route and got flagged. That was a very bad call against him.

Lets not forget the play he made coming up to take MJD out in the middle of the line where if it weren't for Vontae taking MJD's legs out, MJD gets 10+. He's rarely been targeted with the exception of the Chicago game. I'm sorry but please show me where he's played bad. He's an aggressive corner and as I said he's earned a couple of his PI calls, but there have been 3(1 from each game) that he shouldn't have been called for.

For those bashing Vontae, how about you give a BIG shout out to Antoine Bethea for completely blowing his coverage on that 80 yard play. As bad as Sergio Brown got beat that play should have never made it past the point the catch was made had Bethea not reacted to a player 20 yards away from him which cause him to leave the middle of HIS side of the field wide open.

there is just absolutely NO pleasing my fellow colts fans is there? why is it that you whine and complain about how bad vontae is, when really he has played some solid football? we have too high of expectations for these players. theres no need to be so hypercritical when we really have a pretty good cornerback tandem. but teams know that punching their rb's through the middle of the line is where they will find success against us, so until we can stop the run consistently our cb's wont be given many chances to make big plays; because they wont be targeted as much. we still have arian foster twice and mjd again. in jacksonville. so hows about we focus on our ability to stop the run, and not targeting a single player just because you disagree with the trade. just wait, at least give this squad a full season i mean my god its been 3 games and what do we expect PERFECT cornerback play? we have sooo much to improve upon, lets relax and enjoy what our young team can do this year.

there is just absolutely NO pleasing my fellow colts fans is there? why is it that you whine and complain about how bad vontae is, when really he has played some solid football? we have too high of expectations for these players. theres no need to be so hypercritical when we really have a pretty good cornerback tandem. but teams know that punching their rb's through the middle of the line is where they will find success against us, so until we can stop the run consistently our cb's wont be given many chances to make big plays; because they wont be targeted as much. we still have arian foster twice and mjd again. in jacksonville. so hows about we focus on our ability to stop the run, and not targeting a single player just because you disagree with the trade. just wait, at least give this squad a full season i mean my god its been 3 games and what do we expect PERFECT cornerback play? we have sooo much to improve upon, lets relax and enjoy what our young team can do this year.

I just go back to this does anyone really want to see what our defense would look like without Davis? Look at how poorly King has played he would slide over and become a starter. Does anyone really want to see that? I know I don't. I have been happy with Davis. I don't think he's perfect but what player in the NFL is? They ALL make mistakes. What it comes down to is the team better because they have Davis and I say yes.

I am with you I think our fans are way too hard on our players if they aren't a fan favorite. Several people seem to expect perfection all-pro level play every week and if they don't get it they are all over a guy. By the same token if the fans have decided they like a guy they will make up any excuse in the world to say oh that's not really that guy's fault to ANYTHING he does. Example, Andrew Luck, now before I come across as ripping him I want to state for the record I love the kid and I think he's done great and is well ahead of where a rookie should be at this point. With that said I've seen just about every excuse in the world for him under throwing people. Is it really such a big deal to admit he's throwing behind people right now and needs to work on it? The good news is that he's getting better with it (he had a really nice deep ball to Hilton today for a TD) and I think he can fix all those issues but it's just something he needs to improve right now and admitting that is not trying to rip him it's just an observation of his play so far. Also I am trying to be fair I am not overreacting and saying we need to cut him or play Stanton or Harnish or that we made a mistake in getting him and we should have gone with RG3. It's one thing to be fair and say hey someone needs to do better it's another to do a lot of the over reacting to Davis, Brown, the o-line, Fleener, the coaching staff, and AV that fans have been doing today.

I thinking bashing Davis is a bit premature but I understand the expectations as well. When you see just how well powers has been playing and not getting the PI calls on him it makes you question how come Davis is getting all those calls. A few people have mentioned it, Inconsistancy with the refs is one big part for an aggressive CB. I do think when we get more pressure on the qb like we were when we had Freeney in the Chicago game, the backfield will looks lights out better.

Time will be the judge on whether or not Davis was worth the 2nd rd pick we gave up for him as I'm not sold that he is a bad CB or screwed up in the head. He may not be a Revis type guy but how many of those guys can be found? This is just a bad defense in a rebuild mode with some good players sorinkled in with backup type players. It's honestly going to take 2-3 years to play very good ball with what this team currently has in place now.

So far, not so good. And the "he's new" excuse is quickly rubbing off. Even if he is "new" it's not like he has to have an adverse knowledge of the playbook to play man-to-man. That DOES kinda go along with playing corner... Sometimes. Occasionally.

When Irsay was blowing the trade winds he mentioned "Opening up the checkbook"... I certainly hope he waits on that until we see something worth paying for first, because to be quite honest, we haven't. He hasn't given up a ton of yards, but he's pretty much let QB's target him and get away with it. Some might not be worried at that prospect, but when you stop to think we really haven't played a decent QB yet, it gets a little more frightening...

Looking more and more like that second round pick we gave up for him is gonna end up being more like a late 1st round pick... I'm hoping to Peyton we can get some return on that investment.

Um Davis is good better than anything we had also every corner gets beat look even revis look at Namdi he looks like a scrub

Davis did not play well. He had two PI penalties and was beat on several pass plays.

Has it occurred to anyone that he was being more physical with the WR's because the WR's were getting away with O-PI? It's really hard to judge CB play at this point, the Refs are extremely inconsistent with calling penalties, so obviously the CB's are going to try to get away with more, just so happens some get caught more than others.

The first PI call I could live with because he had the guys' shoulder pad, but the second PI call against him was BAD. He gave a quick jam at the line and proceeded to run with the receiver down the sideline. He never grabbed, nor hindered the receivers route and got flagged. That was a very bad call against him.

Lets not forget the play he made coming up to take MJD out in the middle of the line where if it weren't for Vontae taking MJD's legs out, MJD gets 10+. He's rarely been targeted with the exception of the Chicago game. I'm sorry but please show me where he's played bad. He's an aggressive corner and as I said he's earned a couple of his PI calls, but there have been 3(1 from each game) that he shouldn't have been called for.

For those bashing Vontae, how about you give a BIG shout out to Antoine Bethea for completely blowing his coverage on that 80 yard play. As bad as Sergio Brown got beat that play should have never made it past the point the catch was made had Bethea not reacted to a player 20 yards away from him which cause him to leave the middle of HIS side of the field wide open.

It could go either way, but to me it looked more like it was Zibikowski who whiffed on that play. I'm starting to develop a dislike for Zibi that I did not have before.

Given the fact that he should only get better in the system, Davis is the least of our problems. And as 1888 said, can you imagine if King was the starter? Yikes!

To be honest, I'm not even mad with Kings play as a nickel cornerback right now. I think he did a pretty good job yesterday although I can see what you're saying about him being the starter. I like what all the starters in the secondary are doing right now, except for Zibikowski.

No offence:) but is this thread serious?? I'd give a 2nd rd pick for V. Davis ALL DAY LONG!! CB's with his talent are very hard to come by. I'm not even going to try to explain or justify the trade as I feel that is obvious & if you still dont understand REWATCH the final play by the Jags without Davis on the field. Only knock on Davis so far (after the Chitown game) has been the PI's & a couple of those were questionable at best! This guy will continue to get better as he plays & we better PRAY he is not seriously hurt after leaving the game sunday.

As its been said, the ball isn't thrown his was that often. Most completions against us have been over the middle, and against Powers. The safties and Davis are making stops when thrown in their direction. The dude has 2 PI calls against him, and suddenly it's "he's a terrible corner?"

Mountains out of mole-hills.... I swear.

playing corner is like playing corner anywhere, you stick on your WR you play your position do not get burnt deep and do not commit stupid penalties.

uuuuh...no its not. The shade, distance and coverage can change based on offensive alinements and shifts at any moment. Not to mention what the other 11 guys are doing. All of which can determine what style of coverage it is, even if it is just man. does he have help over top? underneath? is he on an island? What kind of pressure are they bringing? When do/dont you pass your guy off to another defender on certain offensive routes?...not to mention zones.

Powers and Davis is the best combo we have had at CB in years....if you cannot see that then your not watching the game the right way...i have been pretty pleased with our CB play overall. Like I said last week, our issues stem from pass rush more than anything...

I'm open to suggestions...

Lemur-watching-TV.jpg

I think he's still learning, getting used to the system and probabaly just the whole being traded ordeal. I think he will be great but like our team in whole, I'm going to give it time before I start blaming the new guys.

He limits those PI calls he would be looking better. Every game if he slowly gets better and shows signs of improvements, that is a good thing.

Us Colts fans because we have been so spoiled and have a tendency to throw people under the bus when things don't go well. It's only been 3 games and the guy deserves much more time before we start bashing him.

I've heard people complaining about many players, give it time. I don't think The Great Wall of China was built in 30 minutes.