Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie Wayne on free agency...

ColtsFTW

This is my favorite quote from the article.

“It caught me by surprise, also. From the whole free-agent situation, it started at 4 p.m. My phone was just going nuts from about 4 p.m. until about 10 p.m. To be honest with you, I didn’t hear from the Colts until probably 9:50. It was weird. By that time, I basically counted the Colts out. I didn’t think anything was going to happen, but I got that phone call and that’s all I wanted to hear. … Everybody [else] got crossed off. I will say I took a lot less money. I will say that, but this is where my heart was, this is where I wanted to be.”

:Cry:

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2012/09/13/nfl-indianapolis-colts-reggie-wayne-andrew-luck/

This is my favorite quote from the article.

“It caught me by surprise, also. From the whole free-agent situation, it started at 4 p.m. My phone was just going nuts from about 4 p.m. until about 10 p.m. To be honest with you, I didn’t hear from the Colts until probably 9:50. It was weird. By that time, I basically counted the Colts out. I didn’t think anything was going to happen, but I got that phone call and that’s all I wanted to hear. … Everybody [else] got crossed off. I will say I took a lot less money. I will say that, but this is where my heart was, this is where I wanted to be.”

:Cry:

http://sportsradioin...ne-andrew-luck/

Had to log in just to like that. I love this dude.

Reggie is great. Please, dont get me wrong. But, this is the same reason Peyton really didnt want to go anywhere else. In Indy, Peyton and Reggie would always be king. Now, of course, things will always be different with Peyton. He will always be number one because he is a future HOF QB that still has something left. But, as a WR that is getting older, Reggie would never be the same in another organization. He might still have talent ( which he does). But, he would have to learn another system while everyone else already knows it. He would have to make a new relationship with the QB. He would have to figure out the tendacies of the QB. In Indy, Reggie is the go to guy. They are all having to learn a new system and he is the veteran go to guy. The rookie QB has to learn his tendacies. Great move by Reggie and the Colts to resign him. He will have another 100 reception year and maybe another 1000 yards. Pro-bowl for Reggie. Not if he was in another system.

Reggie gained a lot of respect from me this off-season. He has sky rocketed on my list of all-time favorite Colts because he's the one who stayed. I can see how others didn't like what he was saying about his contract much of last season but if you listen to this I can say looking back on this with 20/20 hind site I think Reggie was trying to prepare himself for the Colts not offering him a contract (which is what I think he expected) than he was trying to say in anyway he wanted to leave. If anything I think he was trying to drop the hint last year he wanted to stay.

Yes, as I said on another thread Reggie is also one of my favorite Colts. That being said, let's be realistic here, Garry Bracket, Dallas Clark or Melvin Bullit would also have loved to stay if they were offered a new or re-negotiated contract but, as FireJimCaldwell said above, they didn't have that option.

I don't think anyone singled those players out. All I said was he stayed when others did not. Guys like Tamme, Garcon, Saturday, and yes I'll even say Peyton had the chance to stay but all elected not too. Rather Wayne was their first choice or not (and yes I'd agree Garcon was) doesn't really matter because when Wayne was given the chance he did elect to stay. I didn't say he was the only one who would have stayed given the choice he is the one that was given the choice that did stay however. I'll give him credit for that and if others don't want too because we released other players then that's up to them.

I don't think anyone singled those players out. All I said was he stayed when others did not. Guys like Tamme, Garcon, Saturday, and yes I'll even say Peyton had the chance to stay but all elected not too. Rather Wayne was their first choice or not (and yes I'd agree Garcon was) doesn't really matter because when Wayne was given the chance he did elect to stay. I didn't say he was the only one who would have stayed given the choice he is the one that was given the choice that did stay however. I'll give him credit for that and if others don't want too because we released other players then that's up to them.

Could you share the inside info you must have to say that Manning was given a chance to stay. I'm assuming you mean that he had reasonable options to remain a Colt. Like something guaranteeing that he received reasonable compensation and assurance that he would be the starter for the next three years if he proved to be healthy.

Reggie is great. Please, dont get me wrong. But, this is the same reason Peyton really didnt want to go anywhere else. In Indy, Peyton and Reggie would always be king. Now, of course, things will always be different with Peyton. He will always be number one because he is a future HOF QB that still has something left. But, as a WR that is getting older, Reggie would never be the same in another organization. He might still have talent ( which he does). But, he would have to learn another system while everyone else already knows it. He would have to make a new relationship with the QB. He would have to figure out the tendacies of the QB. In Indy, Reggie is the go to guy. They are all having to learn a new system and he is the veteran go to guy. The rookie QB has to learn his tendacies. Great move by Reggie and the Colts to resign him. He will have another 100 reception year and maybe another 1000 yards. Pro-bowl for Reggie. Not if he was in another system.

Yet he IS in another SYSTEM with a New Offensive Co, QB and Rookies who also are learning a new System. good point.

The Manning disdain is really really really getting old. :bored:

If people don't like him fine but is it necessary to nitpick every single thing he did? He was our quarterback for 13 years and if nothing else he deserves a little respect for the effort he put into being the best he could be and I never heard him say one thing bad about the fans. It's a shame he doesn't get the same.

The Manning disdain is really really really getting old. :bored:

If people don't like him fine but is it necessary to nitpick every single thing he did? He was our quarterback for 13 years and if nothing else he deserves a little respect for the effort he put into being the best he could be and I never heard him say one thing bad about the fans. It's a shame he doesn't get the same.

No comment.

Could you share the inside info you must have to say that Manning was given a chance to stay. I'm assuming you mean that he had reasonable options to remain a Colt. Like something guaranteeing that he received reasonable compensation and assurance that he would be the starter for the next three years if he proved to be healthy.

I can but no one is going to believe me because I am just going to tell you I know someone who was close to the situation and they told me it was as much Manning as it was Irsay. He wasn't excited about coming back to a 2-14 team that was still going to have to cut a lot of the few remaining vets they had due to salary cap concerns and playing behind that line. He knew the Colts were going into a rebuilding mood with or without him and for a 36 year old QB that didn't make sense. I also had it told me that Irsay wanted Luck no matter what and it was either going to be Manning and Luck or just Luck. It was never going to be Manning and trade the pick. Both sides knew it would be a matter of time till Luck was ready to start as well which was going to lead to some kinda QB controversy if they kept Peyton. Again, as most who don't know someone who was close to the situation have figured out it just didn't make sense for Peyton to come back on either end. I know people like to look beyond what was said but this time when both sides said they both agreed parting was in both parties best interest it was true. If you don't believe that or wont because I am not going to name my friend then fine that's up to you. No skin off my nose.

Just to be clear I like Peyton Manning as much as the next person and hated that he left. With that said just because I am sharing what I know about the situation doesn't mean I have any kind of Manning disdain. I am beyond grateful for what he did for out team. With that said I am just as tired of the Irsay disdain as some are of the Manning disdain. Frankly I don't care for either but I honestly get the idea that some fans are of the opinion that Manning went to Irsay and pleaded to come back and Irsay just said no and pretty much couldn't wait to throw him out of the city. It didn't go down that way. Irsay tried everything he could to find away to let Manning stay that made sense for the Colts long term future as well as Manning's future. It didn't and at the end of the day the two men made a very hard business decision with their brains and not their hearts.

Honestly I think people want someone to blame for this and since most wanted Manning back (and who could blame them) they have decided to blame Irsay for it. I don't think either man is to blame for it I think the two made the best decisions for their respective parties. All I am trying to say is that Manning had a say in this too and it wasn't ALL Irsay. Had it been all Irsay there wouldn't have been the long meeting and Irsay would have just flat out cut him. Manning had a say in this too and I think fans like to over look that factor probably because they don't want to picture Manning saying I'd rather move on from the Colts. Again that's not to speak ill of Manning. I believe everything Manning said at his presser and how much he hated to leave but the circumstances didn't make sense for him to stay. I think both men truly wish it could have been different.

Back to the topic at hand that's all I was trying to do was give credit to Wayne for electing to stay when others did not. It doesn't mean the others did wrong. It just means Wayne did something you don't often in today's sporting world and that was just cool to see and like I said for me at least it made me gain a lot of respect for Reggie because like most I thought Reggie was gone based on how he was talking this past season.