Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why are some people still not willing to give Freeney a shot?

StewieG

I thought Freeney played really good while he was out there against the Bears (I know it wasn't very long) but he was demanding double teams as he always does, and the defense was playing great with him out there (and noticeably bad once he left)

But yet i STILL see some people (in various posts on this forum) seemingly unwilling to give him a chance.

I just do not get it. What gives?

I thought Freeney played really good while he was out there against the Bears (I know it wasn't very long) but he was demanding double teams as he always does, and the defense was playing great with him out there (and noticeably bad once he left)

But yet i STILL see some people (in various posts on this forum) seemingly unwilling to give him a chance.

I don't know if you have me in mind when you refer to some people in other posts....

All I'm not willing to do is to give him a long-term, expensive deal until he's proven himself in this scheme and that he can stay healthy. Otherwise, I'm fine giving him the time he needs. And I'm not aware of too many people here who aren't willing to.

Was there a "Start Jerry Hughes over Dwight Freeney" thread that I missed somewhere?

I don't know if you have me in mind when you refer to some people in other posts....

All I'm not willing to do is to give him a long-term, expensive deal until he's proven himself in this scheme and that he can stay healthy. Otherwise, I'm fine giving him the time he needs. And I'm not aware of too many people here who aren't willing to.

Was there a "Start Jerry Hughes over Dwight Freeney" thread that I missed somewhere?

I agree that we shouldn't give him a long term deal if he fails. But my point is people are jumping the gun, almost like they expect him to fail. We need to see how he does this year, and if he fails then cut him. But if he does good, give him an extension.

I only watched the 1st 1/4 (which was about as long as Freeney was there), but I agree. The way the defence started I thought it was going to be a good day--Mathis sacking Cutler very early, followed by the very early pick 6.

What I also noticed was that on a few occasions Reggie Wayne was all by himself but the passes by Luck went so high over him he would have had to be about 10 feet tall. Reckon they will form a most formidable combinations as the year goes on.

I believe the biggest thing some have against Freeney is his salary.If he weren't counting as much as he is against the salary cap, then I don't think many would be objecting to him being here.

He can't be blamed for the errors of Bill.Chris Polian or Jim Irsay or to a smaller extent Ryan Grigson. He earned his extension, and he's playing it out.

In a perfect world he'd be healthy and we could determine how well he fit into this new defense. But this off-season and the past year have proven the NFL is far from a perfect world.

Freeney was out there for 9 plays

Play 1-lined up in 2 point stance and dropped back in coverage left side

Play 2-False Start on RT Carimi(#72)- Freeney in 3 point stance on the right side

Play 3-Lined up on Right Side in 3 point stance (double teamed)

Play 4-Two point stance on the right side (ran himself out of the play)

Play 5 two point stance lined up on left side bull rushed on Carimi, looks like that caused Cutler to throw the ball early (Pick 6 for Freeman)

Play 6 two point stance lined up on right side was rushing

Play 7 Freeney in two point stance on the right side and dropped back in coverage

Play 8 Freeney in 3 point stance on the right side ran himself out of the play (really it was good pass blocking by Webb more then Freeney running himself out of the play in my opinion)

Play 9 Freeney in 2 point stance on the right side (Freeney hurt on a cut block by Webb)

I agree that we shouldn't give him a long term deal if he fails. But my point is people are jumping the gun, almost like they expect him to fail. We need to see how he does this year, and if he fails then cut him. But if he does good, give him an extension.

Its not a point of cutting him. Its not resigning him. His huge contract is not paying for itself.

Play 2-False Start on RT Carimi(#72)- Freeney in 3 point stance on the right side

Play 5 two point stance lined up on left side bull rushed on Carimi, looks like that caused Cutler to throw the ball early (Pick 6 for Freeman)

Play 7 Freeney in two point stance on the right side and dropped back in coverage

Play 8 Freeney in 3 point stance on the right side ran himself out of the play (really it was good pass blocking by Webb more then Freeney running himself out of the play in my opinion)

Play 9 Freeney in 2 point stance on the right side (Freeney hurt on a cut block by Webb)

AND as soon as Freeney comes out forte goes around hughes' end to the outside (hughes with a pathetic effort stuck on a block) for 20 + yards. That's the way Hughes played the rest of the day as well....invisible.

AND as soon as Freeney comes out forte goes around hughes' end to the outside (hughes with a pathetic effort stuck on a block) for 20 + yards. That's the way Hughes played the rest of the day as well....invisible.

pretty much (it went for 32 yards) other then that we did a pretty decent job of stopping the run but in fairness to Hughes that run would have happened even easier on Freeney then it did on Hughes at this point

its easier then you think to avoid him, just rush right at him, he hasn't (and wont) prove he can stop it

Lol. Even as our pass rusher in previous schemes, he's made some solid plays against the run.

The biggest problem is a draw play and that sort of thing. They are designed to mimick a pass play, Freeney pins his ears back and goes for the QB, hand off occurs and Freeney is likely in the backfield by that point, and possibly out of the play.

As for proving completely unable to stop the run, that is not at all what I have seen. Freeney can set the edge better than Hughes. He may not make the tackle every time, but he can bull rush a tackle and keep the back from getting outside, which allows our interior to make a play. That, to me, is a far bigger contribution than most. And given what he adds to the pass rush, if he can stay healthy, he is a player that would be a good re-sign for the right amount of money.

As it is, the problem everyone has with him is money. It's as though we should've cut anyone that was a part of our last scheme (cover 2) that had any sort of contract, and, for the most part, they did. Problem is, guys like Mathis and Hughes are often considered tweeners. Mathis has proven to be a good 4-3 DE, and will likely be just as good as a 3-4 OLB. Hughes proved to be not much as a DE, and has a shot to prove something as an OLB. Freeney has been a phenomenal DE, and could likely be a good 3-4 OLB or better, though his age at this point may limit that some.

I see Freeney as being a good contributor this year, if he stays healthy. I'd like to think he can post double digit sacks with a more capable line ahead of him, compared to what we've had in the past. As for the run, he'll make the handful of plays he is supposed to.

Lol. Even as our pass rusher in previous schemes, he's made some solid plays against the run.

The biggest problem is a draw play and that sort of thing. They are designed to mimick a pass play, Freeney pins his ears back and goes for the QB, hand off occurs and Freeney is likely in the backfield by that point, and possibly out of the play.

As for proving completely unable to stop the run, that is not at all what I have seen. Freeney can set the edge better than Hughes. He may not make the tackle every time, but he can bull rush a tackle and keep the back from getting outside, which allows our interior to make a play. That, to me, is a far bigger contribution than most. And given what he adds to the pass rush, if he can stay healthy, he is a player that would be a good re-sign for the right amount of money.

As it is, the problem everyone has with him is money. It's as though we should've cut anyone that was a part of our last scheme (cover 2) that had any sort of contract, and, for the most part, they did. Problem is, guys like Mathis and Hughes are often considered tweeners. Mathis has proven to be a good 4-3 DE, and will likely be just as good as a 3-4 OLB. Hughes proved to be not much as a DE, and has a shot to prove something as an OLB. Freeney has been a phenomenal DE, and could likely be a good 3-4 OLB or better, though his age at this point may limit that some.

I see Freeney as being a good contributor this year, if he stays healthy. I'd like to think he can post double digit sacks with a more capable line ahead of him, compared to what we've had in the past. As for the run, he'll make the handful of plays he is supposed to.

handful on the season? Freeney struggled with containment in the preseason

eh an argument can be made for Jerry Hughes at that spot

Only in dreamland....or against 3rd stringers in preseason. (just like last few years)

The problem most people have with Freeney (including myself) is the fact that he's the highest paid guy in the NFL right now, and the Colts are paying that bill. I even said a few weeks ago that Freeney was going to get hurt playing LB.....and to my dismay it happened. When that happened, our D went from superstar status to non-existant. Hughes was showing up play after play after the pile was on the ground per usual. So obviously he has an effect. Nobody can deny that.

I still think Freeney can do one thing and one thing only.....rush the passer. That's it. He does it extremely well mind you, but he continues to look lost in coverage, and take himself out of run plays.

I will happily eat crow if for some magic reason he turns it around and ends up a beast in coverage this year. Here's hoping.

With Freeney getting double teamed, Other players need to beat their 1 on 1 match ups, other than Mathis. That's the real issue. But now that Freeney is injured, and most posters know he's expensive, some will now just call him dead weight.

handful on the season? Freeney struggled with containment in the preseason

Yup, pre-season. The pre-season in which they were getting acclimated to a new defense. The pre-season in which the mighty Atlanta Falcons went 1-3. The pre-season in which Tom Brady's Patriots went 1-3. The same pre-season in which Mark Sanchez didn't throw a single TD pass.

It's funny how the pre-season doesn't validate anything for rookies, and that their performance then doesn't matter, and cannot be used as a measuring stick as to how they might do in the regular season. But for a veteran getting acclimated to a new defense, you want to use that as validation?

Suffice it to say, Freeney has talent. He's proven that over the years. He has yet to prove much in this defense as he hasn't had much time to play in it, and his snaps in the pre-season have been limited.

I stand by my statement. When we run a defense that calls for more than just our DEs to rush the passer, he'll do what is expected of him. I expect a good amount of contribution in pass rush, and a solid contribution to containing the run.

He is gone after this year, nobody is giving him a long term deal at his age. He is on the decline , it's inevitable. He might come back on a 1 or 2 year tops. He would be gone right now if they had any takers, but with the money he's making that would have been an insane move. It's not hatin, I appreciate what he has done, but time stops for nobody. When your a one trick pony, and that trick is getting less effective, you are on not going to be around too much longer.

Ill be the first to admit, before the season started i kept saying we should trade freeney, but watching how the colts defense played WHEN he was in the game i kinda leaned torward the keeping him side. but you have to think about the buisness aspect of it all. i think we can all agree the colts will not make playoffs this year, and they need to bring in young guys who can play together for a couple years get use to playing in this 3-4 defense and build on being a strong defensive team. Freeney could be traded to get a draft pick whether its a 3rd rounder, 4th rounder, or 5th rounder. or even mulitple picks in the late rounds. its better to get something for losing him then get nothing at all when he becomes a FA.

Awesome

I have no Problem with Freeney. One of my Favorite Colts in my Time of being a Fan. The injury wasn't his Fault. The Bears cut blocked everyone, it's a Dangerous thing to do imo. Z-Man got cut blocked & Bethea on the same play Freeney went out. Everyone was just dropping on the Ground. The cut block is a very Dangerous block.

But Freeney will come around. Not sure if he's playing Sunday. But if he is, he can definitely cause problems for Ponder's Sophmore year. Kalil can only block one person, the rest of that line isn't too Good in pass protection.

Freeney is a beast pay the man if we lose him out team gonna suffer for years you only let talent go when u have talent waiting

Ill be the first to admit, before the season started i kept saying we should trade freeney, but watching how the colts defense played WHEN he was in the game i kinda leaned torward the keeping him side. but you have to think about the buisness aspect of it all. i think we can all agree the colts will not make playoffs this year, and they need to bring in young guys who can play together for a couple years get use to playing in this 3-4 defense and build on being a strong defensive team. Freeney could be traded to get a draft pick whether its a 3rd rounder, 4th rounder, or 5th rounder. or even mulitple picks in the late rounds. its better to get something for losing him then get nothing at all when he becomes a FA.

1. No one will trade much for a guy being paid 14 million this season.
  2. If we wanted to drop him, we'd have done it before regular season.
  3. Compensatory picks will most likely be given when we lose Freeney, which will most likely be around a 5th.

Freeney is a beast pay the man if we lose him out team gonna suffer for years you only let talent go when u have talent waiting

I'd be willing to let this season play out. As it is, he is a man with similar physical talents to a Ware or similar. He may not pan out in this system, but it may. Problem is, if it does, we'll still have to pay him.

As it is, Freeney is likely our best prospect at OLB. He may only give us a few good years at it (if we can get him re-signed), but it should give us time to find someone in the draft in the next couple of years. He simply needs to stay health to earn one last contract.

1. No one will trade much for a guy being paid 14 million this season.
  2. If we wanted to drop him, we'd have done it before regular season.
  3. Compensatory picks will most likely be given when we lose Freeney, which will most likely be around a 5th.

The most he could be worth from a compensatory standpoint is a 5th, but with the # of players that will likely be signed, the gains might exceed the losses.

The Bears have a horrible offensive line that is probably worse than ours. People are giving our defense and Freeney too much credit for putting pressure on Cutler. The only thing I have against Freeney is his salary and cap hit. We need offensive line help and that $14M salary could have gotten some help. I would have rather overpaid for a solid, not stud, offensive lineman to protect our franchise QB, than to pay $14M for an aging DE/OLB.

I'd be willing to let this season play out. As it is, he is a man with similar physical talents to a Ware or similar. He may not pan out in this system, but it may. Problem is, if it does, we'll still have to pay him.

As it is, Freeney is likely our best prospect at OLB. He may only give us a few good years at it (if we can get him re-signed), but it should give us time to find someone in the draft in the next couple of years. He simply needs to stay health to earn one last contract.

I seriously doubt signing Freeney is even on the radar.

That is nothing more than coincidence that Forte had that run when Freeney went out. When has Freeney been known to be a run stopper?

Also, Hughes was getting pressure on Cutler but people forget that Cutler can be elusive when he has room in the pocket to move.

Freeney is our old good pass rusher he is the most important player to our def think Peyton on offense freeney is that important to our d don't let me have to break it down for you

I believe the biggest thing some have against Freeney is his salary.If he weren't counting as much as he is against the salary cap, then I don't think many would be objecting to him being here.

He can't be blamed for the errors of Bill.Chris Polian or Jim Irsay or to a smaller extent Ryan Grigson. He earned his extension, and he's playing it out.

In a perfect world he'd be healthy and we could determine how well he fit into this new defense. But this off-season and the past year have proven the NFL is far from a perfect world.

well put, it's not his fault he earned his contract.... where's bahhumbugg at?... lol... It does suck payin the man that kind of money, and even more so with him not even being in these next couple of weeks or so.. but in the brief time i've seen him on the field, I don't see anything that makes me think he can't be that guy him for the time being... lol when he comes back I would like to see a little bit more depth when he is dropping into pass coverage though :-D