Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why are some people still not willing to give Freeney a shot?

StewieG

I agree that we shouldn't give him a long term deal if he fails. But my point is people are jumping the gun, almost like they expect him to fail. We need to see how he does this year, and if he fails then cut him. But if he does good, give him an extension.

That's exactly it. Some have already decided that Freeney will fail for whatever reason and are more interested in being right than seeing Freeney help the team.

He's not anymore, it's Mathis. Freeney still draws more double teams though.

Remains to be seen. Mathis went away real fast once Freeney left the game on Sunday and that's been the pattern their whole careers. When Freeney isn't out there Mathis struggles. The little time Mathis has missed over the years Freeney has been able to still get some heat on the QB. I am not so sure Mathis is better than Freeney than it is he gets better match ups because Freeney is out there. In no way does that mean Mathis isn't a good a good player, he is a very good player but I still think Freeney is the best pass rusher we have on the roster and being second best to Dwight Freeney isn't a bad thing at all.

I have a hard time working up much passion / sympathy for someone who is making 14/15/19 M$ this year (the number varies of course). And he goes out in the first quarter of the first game, and is projected to be out for a month. Best wishes to him and the team that chooses to pick him up next year. The blame of course goes to our former GM for this contract. Best wishes, Dwight. You were a great Colt.

Yea but Freeney demands 2 blockers some of the time Hughes will never need to be blocked by 2 blockers.

Im not sure if Hughes will or not, I would have to go back and focus on him but Freeney only had 1 double team vs the Bears (yes I know it was 9 snaps) by the Bears LG (Spencer) and it wasn't really a concentrated effort of a double team on Freeney, Spencer had his left hand on Freeney while Spencer was guarding against other defenders that could have came in his area