Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CUT IT OUT PEOPLE: (RUN GAME)

Michael Lebron

I am so tired of hearing prople say, you must run the ball to set up the run.... Yes this was how the game of football used to be play, however this is no longer the case.

Green Bay never runs the ball nor do they try!

The Saints occassional run the ball but you do not throw for 5,000 yards establishing the run

New England throws the ball religiously...

The list goes on and on..

We tried to establish the run game early in the Bears game. To avoid being laughed off the field we put the ball in the air. The only time we gained positive yards in the run game is when we ran draws and delayed handoffs. Peyton did not establish the run after Edge left. Our run game was so bad our playaction attack was no longer effective. Harrison will be a hall of famer because of EDGE and our ability to use play action. However this is not a threat any longer whatsoever!!

So cut it out with the run game in regards to Sunday. We haven't ran the ball well against poor defenses, so why would think we would go into Soldier field thinking we would be effective against the BEARS defense honestly. Until we have a draft in which we draft some stud lineman and make a trade or two for some depth at the position, this is Andrew's Lucks show totally.

We must throw the ball at least 35 times a game to be effective. I hope we continue the trend of throwing the ball. However I hope better decisions are made by Luck and that we improve our protection some. I also think having Collie and TY out there, makes a huge difference too.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We tried to establish the run game early in the Bears game. To avoid being laughed off the field we put the ball in the air. The only time we gained positive yards in the run game is when we ran draws and delayed handoffs. Peyton did not establish the run after Edge left. Our run game was so bad our playaction attack was no longer effective. Harrison will be a hall of famer because of EDGE and our ability to use play action. However this is not a threat any longer whatsoever!!

So cut it out with the run game in regards to Sunday. We haven't ran the ball well against poor defenses, so why would think we would go into Soldier field thinking we would be effective against the BEARS defense honestly. Until we have a draft in which we draft some stud lineman and make a trade or two for some depth at the position, this is Andrew's Lucks show totally.

I disagree with you. After Edge left we could still run the ball. It was the departure of our two Guards (that have been very missed) that destroyed it. Tarrik's departure didn't help either.

You are forgetting that Addai was the first ever 1000 yard rusher to never start a single game (in the regular season, 2006).

Harrison will be a hall of famer because he could get open, had good hands, stayed healthy (until 2007) and had a great QB getting him the ball.

When Peyton was Super Bowl MVP - I think he was honored as that based on his body of work. We closed out the deal with the run and look at the stat sheet:

Addai: 17 for 77 4.1

Rhodes: 21 for 113 5.4 TD

Uhhh, against the Bears.

We could run the ball. I think the formula is a balanced attack, not airing it out 40-50 times a game.

When you air it out you get let down in the post season too.

it's unfortunate that injuries have hit the o-line early and often. it has certainly has compromised their ability to function as a unit. had the first five been intact all through camp and preseason i think they would have been significantly better on sunday.

Injuries and the fact that they suck have both contributed.

:lol:

And not having a Run game is the EXACT reason why the Patriots haven't Won a Super Bowl since we took Vinny right?

And after that Fluke season, not having a Run game is the reason why the Packers went 15-1 & got knocked out the 1st Game?

Well, if not having a Run game results in that........ I'll take the Run Game for 500 please

The orginal intent isn't to say there is absolute the no need to have a run game. The intent is to state;

A. When we moved away from the run game Sunday it is because we had to

B. You can win witout running the ball, does that equate to a championship...not often

C. For now we are a passing team until we draft players or sign players who can help us become more effective.

I am so tired of hearing prople say, you must run the ball to set up the run.... Yes this was how the game of football used to be play, however this is no longer the case.

The Saints occassional run the ball but you do not throw for 5,000 yards establishing the run

We must throw the ball at least 35 times a game to be effective. I hope we continue the trend of throwing the ball. However I hope better decisions are made by Luck and that we improve our protection some. I also think having Collie and TY out there, makes a huge difference too.

Preach to them, LeBron...you are the king :worthy:

Addai hit a 1000 yards but that still doesn't mean your team has an effective running game. Our run game has not been feared since Edge left and the playaction threat left with him.

actually it had more to do with jake scott and tarik glenn leaving.

completely ridiculous that we could not run the ball Brown himself had 5.3 ypc, your NOT going to gain positive yards with every carry behind this O line, none of our Backs will but you have to run to keep the pass rush honest, you just cant chuck it 15-20 yards downfield like Arians was having Luck do on alot of passes, Ballard only 4 runs? that should tell ya all ya need to know about Arians playcalling sunday, when your power Back only gets 4 carries

completely ridiculous that we could not run the ball Brown himself had 5.3 ypc, your NOT going to gain positive yards with every carry behind this O line, none of our Backs will but you have to run to keep the pass rush honest, you just cant chuck it 15-20 yards downfield like Arians was having Luck do on alot of passes, Ballard only 4 runs? that should tell ya all ya need to know about Arians playcalling sunday, when your power Back only gets 4 carries

Yes - we should run the ball more. But I did like the way the Redskins came out against NO. Lots of quick WR screens. Get the ball wide, spread the field from side to side. I think that might help to loosen up a defense too. But if you just drop back and pass all of the time a good defense will tear you up.

Yes - we should run the ball more. But I did like the way the Redskins came out against NO. Lots of quick WR screens. Get the ball wide, spread the field from side to side. I think that might help to loosen up a defense too. But if you just drop back and pass all of the time a good defense will tear you up.

agreed

And not having a Run game is the EXACT reason why the Patriots haven't Won a Super Bowl since we took Vinny right?

And after that Fluke season, not having a Run game is the reason why the Packers went 15-1 & got knocked out the 1st Game?

Well, if not having a Run game results in that........ I'll take the Run Game for 500 please

we didnt have a run game against the saints in the superbowl. the patriots didnt have a run game against the giants in the superbowl. both resulted in losses for those teams. difference for our superbowl win against the bears and our superbowl loss against the saints is the year we won the superbowl addai ran for over a 1,000 yards. and in 09 against the saints addai was like 300 yards shy of 1,000 yards. run game goes along way to winning the superbowl. which is why i pick houston or baltimore winning the superbowl this year

I would only disagree with one part and that's the idea that we never established the run after Edge left. Addai had a 1,000 yard season coming off the bench and another 1,000 yard season where he was voted the starter in the pro-bowl (and don't tell me Addai got there because he was so popular even when he was at his best he was far from the most popular running back in the AFC). Also that running game was the back bone to us winning the Super Bowl in 2006. I think as someone else pointed out the problem was when the line feel apart after the 2006 season. They were able to hold it together threw much of 2007 but then Ugoh got hurt and the line was just never the same after that and neither was Ugoh for that matter.

Again most of that came on one series. When they tried to use the run early in the game it was not effective at all. They stuck with it early in the second quarter and got some nice production out of it when they scored the TD. The next time they saw the ball they had 44 seconds to work with the ground game was out the window. They got the ball to start the second half and tried to run it and went three and out. The Bears scored and then the turnovers started happening thanks to them trying to run the ball on early downs and getting nothing resulting in them having to pass and the Bears ting off on Luck because they knew we had to pass. Then the score got out of hand forcing them to throw to try to stay in the game. They scored again with 10 minutes to go in the game but were still down two touchdowns. Even if they stopped the Bears (which they didn't) it would have taken at least 2 minutes off the clock. So that leaves the Colts with 8 minutes to score two touchdowns in and knowing the Bears are going to get a chance to chew up at least another two minutes in there because they are in all likely hood going to get another poistion in there so really you are looking at six minutes. Six minutes is not enough time to use a run based offense with when you are down two scores.

Had the run game worked better when they tried to use it at the start of the game I am sure we would have seen more of it. That's why Pagano said himself that they have to do a better job of running the ball at the start of the game. Brown's YPC is very nice but that number can lie because all it takes is a couple of nice runs which he had to get that number a little out of whack with what is really happening in the game. If you take out Brown's two longest runs of 18 yards his YPC drops to 1.33 not nearly as impressive is it? That is much more close to what was happening the rest of the game.

Everything goes hand in hand. You must be able to run the when needed and you must be able to pass when needed. If you don't have one you'll have a heck of a time doing the other effectively. Same is true on defense, you must be able to stop the run and stop the pass. If you are deficient in one you will be exploited.

On "O" and "D" you could rely heavy on one aspect of the game but again you must be able to all. Maybe not great but at least effectively.

lol! I'm more pass oriented but if the run opens up the pass then the pass must open up the run. My high school math taught me that if A = B then B = A

Again most of that came on one series. When they tried to use the run early in the game it was not effective at all. They stuck with it early in the second quarter and got some nice production out of it when they scored the TD. The next time they saw the ball they had 44 seconds to work with the ground game was out the window. They got the ball to start the second half and tried to run it and went three and out. The Bears scored and then the turnovers started happening thanks to them trying to run the ball on early downs and getting nothing resulting in them having to pass and the Bears ting off on Luck because they knew we had to pass. Then the score got out of hand forcing them to throw to try to stay in the game. They scored again with 10 minutes to go in the game but were still down two touchdowns. Even if they stopped the Bears (which they didn't) it would have taken at least 2 minutes off the clock. So that leaves the Colts with 8 minutes to score two touchdowns in and knowing the Bears are going to get a chance to chew up at least another two minutes in there because they are in all likely hood going to get another poistion in there so really you are looking at six minutes. Six minutes is not enough time to use a run based offense with when you are down two scores.

Had the run game worked better when they tried to use it at the start of the game I am sure we would have seen more of it. That's why Pagano said himself that they have to do a better job of running the ball at the start of the game. Brown's YPC is very nice but that number can lie because all it takes is a couple of nice runs which he had to get that number a little out of whack with what is really happening in the game. If you take out Brown's two longest runs of 18 yards his YPC drops to 1.33 not nearly as impressive is it? That is much more close to what was happening the rest of the game.

they tried to run it 1 time (on 1st down there 1st possession of the 3rd quarter and got 1 yard but then threw in two straight times, its not about the yards anyway, its about slowing the game down, keeping the Bears offense off the field, yes without those runs his ypc would be very little but the same can be said about Arian Foster, Adrian Peterson and any Back, you dont break a big run or even a nice one all the time

they tried to run it 1 time (on 1st down there 1st possession of the 3rd quarter and got 1 yard but then threw in two straight times, its not about the yards anyway, its about slowing the game down, keeping the Bears offense off the field, yes without those runs his ypc would be very little but the same can be said about Arian Foster, Adrian Peterson and any Back, you dont break a big run or even a nice one all the time

You can't keep them off the field if you are getting 1 yard a carry. If Brown was running like he did on the other two drives when he got the blocking he needed or heck even if he was just getting four yards every carry they would have run the ball more. If you take out the drive where they were able to run the ball the colts averaged 1.54 yards a carry the rest of the game. Which means the ground game isn't working. So they could have run it more but it was not producing the results they needed to keep going to it other than one drive. That's point everyone keeps trying to make to you that you are ignoring. That one drive was just that one drive not indicative of how the ground game was working all day. Had it been working like it did on that one drive the rest of the day you can bet your bottom dollar they would have used it more but it wasn't.

We must throw the ball at least 35 times a game to be effective.

With a crap O-line, rookie QB and rookies surrounding him, that's a recipe for disaster. You will "David Carr" Luck with that plan. Luck has taken more hits in a month than Manning did in three years.

We're not anywhere near ready to compete for a Super Bowl. This offense needs to get its footing first. I would come out on Sunday and play max protect, ball control. I would run it three times in a row on occasion, throw multiple screens and take an occasional shot. After the Bears game and with a bunch of nervous rookies and inexperienced players, you need to ease into things and slowly build some confidence. Priority #1 for 2012 should be getting through this season without mentally or physically wrecking Luck. Don't "David Carr" the guy.

I disagree with you. After Edge left we could still run the ball. It was the departure of our two Guards (that have been very missed) that destroyed it. Tarrik's departure didn't help either.

You are forgetting that Addai was the first ever 1000 yard rusher to never start a single game (in the regular season, 2006).

Harrison will be a hall of famer because he could get open, had good hands, stayed healthy (until 2007) and had a great QB getting him the ball.

When Peyton was Super Bowl MVP - I think he was honored as that based on his body of work. We closed out the deal with the run and look at the stat sheet:

Uhhh, against the Bears.

We could run the ball. I think the formula is a balanced attack, not airing it out 40-50 times a game.

Exactly. 45 passes is about 15 too many.

The orginal intent isn't to say there is absolute the no need to have a run game. The intent is to state;

A. When we moved away from the run game Sunday it is because we had to

B. You can win witout running the ball, does that equate to a championship...not often

C. For now we are a passing team until we draft players or sign players who can help us become more effective.

I disagree... we ran the ball fairly effectively until we stopped trying. We can probably win without a run game, but having some balance makes it easier/more likely. I also think we have our backs and they are good enough (especially considering the diminished importance of the run game that you are writing about). We need big time help on the Offensive Line, and not just for the run game, did you see #12 being harassed all game?... That needs to be our biggest priority going through this season and into next. All other considerations are second-fiddle IMO.

I disagree... we ran the ball fairly effectively until we stopped trying. We can probably win without a run game, but having some balance makes it easier/more likely. I also think we have our backs and they are good enough (especially considering the diminished importance of the run game that you are writing about). We need big time help on the Offensive Line, and not just for the run game, did you see #12 being harassed all game?... That needs to be our biggest priority going through this season and into next. All other considerations are second-fiddle IMO.

Oh, yeah. Goes without saying. Wonder how many times Luck got hit/knocked down....

Uhhh, against the Bears.

This all seems very ironic considering your username. jk jk xD

Oh, yeah. Goes without saying. Wonder how many times Luck got hit/knocked down....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/25711/passing_splits.html

According to their detailed splits he was:

Blitzed 10 times.. 9 attempts 1 sack 5 completions.

Under Pressure 8 times 5 attempts 3 sacks 1 completion.

Knocked down 6 times 3 attempts 3 sacks 1 completion.