Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offensive Line Needs (time or talent)?

HarassedOffTheSite

Need more talent. Of course time should help them get marginally better they are never going to be confused for what Tom Brady has in New England. I will say it doesn't help losing two starters up the middle like we did. TBH we need to be able to run the ball to slow down the pass rush. 15 rushes is pathetic. Not only that few if any draws and no screens. I just thought we let the Bears T off on Andrew and I don't care if we lose by 30 I want to see us run the ball. It does so much to help a young qb (first and foremost keeps him healthy). It also rests our defense. If we can establish a running game it will help offset our weaknesses. I will say that Castonzo looked good...the rest is still open for debate.

They looked pretty bad. Andrew stayed under real pressure. And as a result, Arians' plays could not develope. Running game was subpar.

I hope this line just needs time but I fear it is an issue of talent.

Arians knew what he was walking into with the Bears. We were down arguably our best o-linemen heading into a game against a team with a formidable front 4 that can create pressure without blitzing. Why he didn't game plan around this disadvantage, is anyone's guess. He knew Andrew wouldn't have time to complete any pass that required more than a 3 step dropback. Just poor preparation and game planning on Arians part. This is his MO, and is the reason he was fired by Pittsburgh

This offensive line sucks. Period.

I think that overall, Luck is playing with a better football team than Manning had in '98. However, Manning had two HUGE advantages in '98 that Luck doesn't. First, Manning had a RB who could do everything including catch out of the backfield to bail him in with Faulk. Donald Brown was swatting down passes like they were rabid badgers flying at him. And second, Manning had an offensive line that was kind of coming into its own with two extremely talented second year tackles to pass block for him in Tarik Glenn and Adam Meadows. In '99 the Colts solidified the line with Jeff Saturday at center and Steve McKinney at LG and that's how you ended up with Edge winning back to back rushing titles and Manning throwing a million times without getting sacked.

Costanzo looked ok yesterday but everyone else has journeyman written all over them. After yesterday, I wouldn't mind going 1-15 (withOUT Luck getting killed) and trading the first pick (which should be Matt Barkley) for a slew of picks that can used on more quality offensive linemen. Luck got clobbered on at least a dozen throws yesterday. He won't make it to the end of the year at this rate.

Gosh, I think they are horrible. They looked a bit better as the game went on, but our guards...well, they suck. Satele is OK, AC hasn't hit his ceiling yet, Justice got hurt but wasn't much to write home about.

I can't wait for a boring off season of linemen.

talent...i know i never was afan of either Mcglyn or olsen but yesterday confirmed it to me.

they both suck

really ? i thought other than the one bull rush by peppers that mcglynn had a pretty good day. olsen and satele seemed to struggle the most. i thought justice was just fine until he got hurt. the pressure was all center and left guard with a few outside when link came in. costanzo only got beat once i believe. get reitz and justice back and if satele can be more stout i think things improve greatly. remember they haven't had the entire first five healthy since the beginning of the 1st preseason game.

well after this season, we will have the MOST cap space available of any team in the NFL...that would/should go a long way towards fixing several holes on the team...and the offensive and defensive lines are the biggest holes, in my opinion. I believe that Castonzo and Satele will be fine...but we need to better OG and a better RT.

It doesnt matter how much time you give a bad line to gel, they may get marginally better, but they wont be very good. Luckily with the $ we will have to spend, it shouldnt be hard to fix both lines either via FA or trades etc

they all played inconsistent

we'll agree to disagree. mcglynn and justice were just fine in protection sans one bull rush from peppers. satele just not stout enough and olsen really struggled. better to judge them as a unit when the first five are all healthy if that ever happens. first mcglynn in the preseason, then reitz last week and now justice. not easy to get any cohesion up front given all that.

IMO first place they need time. Yesterdays mess can be partly owed to lack of chemistry. NB this a brand new team, players has played totally perhaps 40 plays before yesterday. However injuries of our starters also contributed to it. (Thinking of Collie for instance)

Obviously, with more talent, O-line could be even better.

I think the same stands or our D-line.

Edited by HungarianColtsFan

After the draft I was disappointed the Colts didn't go o-line early, even though we did get very good TEs. But with the money coming off the books, they can get some stronger o-line free agents and go to the draft for some as well. The biggest weaknesses on this team are still o-line, DBs and d-line in that order.

Both, IMO there were times during the game where i felt the line showed flashes of good performance. They need more time to gel and also need more talent i would say on the right side of the line. I thought that from the Center all the way to the LT the push was there Satele is a monster they opened up a few holes for D. Brown on Sunday. I wasn't too impressed with the Pass blocking i felt like Luck was under too much pressure would have liked to see D.Allen in there more often to provide more help on the line (BTW anyone else noticed he wasn't on the field as much or was it just me?

After the draft I was disappointed the Colts didn't go o-line early, even though we did get very good TEs. But with the money coming off the books, they can get some stronger o-line free agents and go to the draft for some as well. The biggest weaknesses on this team are still o-line, DBs and d-line in that order.

Without any TE's on the roster...we did well in the draft.

really ? i thought other than the one bull rush by peppers that mcglynn had a pretty good day. olsen and satele seemed to struggle the most. i thought justice was just fine until he got hurt. the pressure was all center and left guard with a few outside when link came in. costanzo only got beat once i believe. get reitz and justice back and if satele can be more stout i think things improve greatly. remember they haven't had the entire first five healthy since the beginning of the 1st preseason game.

We can't assume everyone is going to be healthy 100% of the season. Depth is just as important as starters. A good running back will certainly help our OL at the very least to keep the DL on its toes. One that can catch a screen. People don't realize run blocking and running go hand in hand. You can't have one without the other.

Pass protection has been attrocious since 2010 and was masked by Mannings 2.3 - 2.8 second release. Stats show sacks low, but that was 80% mannings release time.

This offensive line sucks. Period.

I think that overall, Luck is playing with a better football team than Manning had in '98. However, Manning had two HUGE advantages in '98 that Luck doesn't. First, Manning had a RB who could do everything including catch out of the backfield to bail him in with Faulk. Donald Brown was swatting down passes like they were rabid badgers flying at him. And second, Manning had an offensive line that was kind of coming into its own with two extremely talented second year tackles to pass block for him in Tarik Glenn and Adam Meadows. In '99 the Colts solidified the line with Jeff Saturday at center and Steve McKinney at LG and that's how you ended up with Edge winning back to back rushing titles and Manning throwing a million times without getting sacked.

Costanzo looked ok yesterday but everyone else has journeyman written all over them. After yesterday, I wouldn't mind going 1-15 (withOUT Luck getting killed) and trading the first pick (which should be Matt Barkley) for a slew of picks that can used on more quality offensive linemen. Luck got clobbered on at least a dozen throws yesterday. He won't make it to the end of the year at this rate.

"trade first pick for a slew of picks" that is what we should have done this year. the rams got 3 first and a 2nd for the 2nd pick. but too late to worry about this now, but we should learn from our mistakes and not treat Luck the same as PM by not getting him a desent Oline

The offensive line is just that offensive. They have had plenty of time to work out the kinks, and have failed to do so. Luck is going to look like David Carr if they don't get better. Next year we must invest heavily in free agency... and get the best players available. Then draft defensively.

Both for sure.

Time because they're pretty much an entirely new line who are still learning and gelling with each other. Some of them are good IMO (Castanzo and Satele, and Reitz is just fine)

Talent because some of these guys just aren't solid starters. I don't care if we spend all of our free agency money next year on O-linemen, I want Luck upright and healthy, and I'd love to be able to see us run the ball.

Both for sure.

Time because they're pretty much an entirely new line who are still learning and gelling with each other. Some of them are good IMO (Castanzo and Satele, and Reitz is just fine)

Talent because some of these guys just aren't solid starters. I don't care if we spend all of our free agency money next year on O-linemen, I want Luck upright and healthy, and I'd love to be able to see us run the ball.

satele not nearly stout enough in my opinion and really got handled by the pass rush yesterday along with olsen.