Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question of the Day - 09/04 "Twosday Twofer"

sb41champs

A. Dewayne Allen - Physical blocker and good receiving TE. Outplayed Fleener by a mile so far.

B. Moise Fokou - For giving up essentially nothing for this guy, he is a ball of energy. Seemed like he was in on every play in preseaon in the time he was in the game.

Twoday's Twosday Twofer -

Putting "a wrap" on the Colts pre-season:

A. Besides Andrew Luck - which OFFENSIVE player or players impressed you the most during the pre-season ??

B. Which DEFENSIVE player or players impressed you the most during the pre-season ??

A. Hmmm I'd probably have to say Allen. If not him I liked what I saw from Whalen and Adams a lot as well.

B. Hughes without a doubt. Looks like a new player although we he didn't get to play with the first unit that much. I also really liked the way Freeman played. I don't think he's great but I do think he's good enough to hold down the MLB spot till Angerer returns. Addison also caught my eye as well.

Dwayne Allen might be one of my favorite players if he continues progressing, he might end up being dominant.

Cory Redding was pretty good when he was on the field. If he plays well this year than I think next year he might end up as a team captain.

I am Mr Obvious today :)

1. Andrew Luck.....composure after INTs for 80yard drives/ability to avoid the pass rush & Vick Ballard/faster and stronger than I had ever imagined.

2. Mario Addison......A whole lotta folks had both he and Mario Harvey cut....they both played their hearts out on the field, and especially on special teams....Both have great motors!!!

Really? He just got cut from the PS yesterday, apparently the coaches didn't agree.

True, I'm not privy to coaching decisions Balzer 40, but he made plays, knew how to wrap up & tackle & he had a nice interception in 1 Preseason game. Clearly, I don't stay abreast of the latest roster cuts. It's like fantasy football to me. I could care less until the regular season rolls around & the final roster is firmly set.

True, I'm not privy to coaching decisions Balzer 40, but he made plays, knew how to wrap up & tackle & he had a nice interception in 1 Preseason game. Clearly, I don't stay abreast of the latest roster cuts. It's like fantasy football to me. I could care less until the regular season rolls around & the final roster is firmly set.

I get ya. I admit I didn't really notice his play in the preseason. Im much more focused on the front 7 on defense. If im not noticing the CB's and safeties that might be a good thing. ;)

I get ya. I admit I didn't really notice his play in the preseason. Im much more focused on the front 7 on defense. If im not noticing the CB's and safeties that might be a good thing. ;)

I was going to comment earlier. I feel the only reason Thomas was cut was due to the pick up of Sergio Brown from the Patriots.

During the preseason, Thomas when playing was making BIG hits. I feel he too may be back later as was DJ Johnson.... Just my observation. I was listening to Will Wolford on the Radio telecast when he said he mad a Bob Sanders hit against the Steelers.

I was going to comment earlier. I feel the only reason Thomas was cut was due to the pick up of Sergio Brown from the Patriots.

During the preseason, Thomas when playing was making BIG hits. I feel he too may be back later as was DJ Johnson.... Just my observation. I was listening to Will Wolford on the Radio telecast when he said he mad a Bob Sanders hit against the Steelers.

I would be all for bringing him back on the PS and cutting loose Alexander. Don't really know why we kept Alexander anyway. Like I said, I didn't really notice Thomas much, but I don't really like the chances of getting through the whole season only having 1 backup SS. It would be nice having Thomas on the PS just in case he's needed during the season due to injury.

I would be all for bringing him back on the PS and cutting loose Alexander. Don't really know why we kept Alexander anyway. Like I said, I didn't really notice Thomas much, but I don't really like the chances of getting through the whole season only having 1 backup SS. It would be nice having Thomas on the PS just in case he's needed during the season due to injury.

And Special Teams...we need hits! Good poing Balzer!

Offense: Joe Reitz. I've gone over all the preseason games he's played in, he was the only one on the line who was able to consistently get to the 2nd level on run plays. He was also solid in pass protection, working well, helping Constanzo and Satele. I really want to see him move to RT. He makes good decisions in pass protection and is mobile enough to react to different stunts and blitzes. With more time to gel, I could see him making a pro bowl one day.

Defense: Our entire linebacking core (except Freeney). Our low key pickups have proven to pay off so far. Fokou, Freeman, Addison... all have impressed

Offense: Joe Reitz. I've gone over all the preseason games he's played in, he was the only one on the line who was able to consistently get to the 2nd level on run plays. He was also solid in pass protection, working well, helping Constanzo and Satele. I really want to see him move to RT. He makes good decisions in pass protection and is mobile enough to react to different stunts and blitzes. With more time to gel, I could see him making a pro bowl one day.

Defense: Our entire linebacking core (except Freeney). Our low key pickups have proven to pay off so far. Fokou, Freeman, Addison... all have impressed

I agree with you on Reitz. My only question would be.....why move him out of a position that he is doing really well at and move him to a position he is not familiar with and messing up the consistency on the left side of the line? Not trying to be confrontational, but I have seen a few others suggest this too, but IMO it would be a huge mistake.

I agree with you on Reitz. My only question would be.....why move him out of a position that he is doing really well at and move him to a position he is not familiar with and messing up the consistency on the left side of the line? Not trying to be confrontational, but I have seen a few others suggest this too, but IMO it would be a huge mistake.

No, you're fine, and I see your point. However, Reitz's natural position is tackle (that's where Baltimore and Miami worked him out at, and it's where he started with us), so there would be no big learning curve for him. Being that he has quick feet (former basketball player), and great lateral movement, i think he'll make an impact right away. He's also a pretty smart guy so I'm not as worried about him making the transition to tackle mid-season as I am the prospect of us going through the entire season with Justice at tackle. Justice has a big enough body to play G and has done it before in Philly. I think that move alone would improve our line exponentially. Just me, though...

No, you're fine, and I see your point. However, Reitz's natural position is tackle (that's where Baltimore and Miami worked him out at, and it's where he started with us), so there would be no big learning curve for him. Being that he has quick feet (former basketball player), and great lateral movement, i think he'll make an impact right away. He's also a pretty smart guy so I'm not as worried about him making the transition to tackle mid-season as I am the prospect of us going through the entire season with Justice at tackle. Justice has a big enough body to play G and has done it before in Philly. I think that move alone would improve our line exponentially. Just me, though...

If they were going to move him to Tackle, I would have rather seen them do it in camp and preseason. I think it would be bad to do it now and may hurt more than it would help at this point. Now, if they would want to make that move next yr. then I could get onboard with that, but I'm really hoping quite a bit of that cap money we have next yr. goes to building one of the best O-lines in football.

If they were going to move him to Tackle, I would have rather seen them do it in camp and preseason. I think it would be bad to do it now and may hurt more than it would help at this point. Now, if they would want to make that move next yr. then I could get onboard with that, but I'm really hoping quite a bit of that cap money we have next yr. goes to building one of the best O-lines in football.

Eh, I think you're making it a bigger issue than it potential would be. We don't know where the coaches have worked players out in practice or training camp. You make it seem as if none of the o-line are taking reps in anything but their assigned position on the depth chart. If that were the case, we'd really be screwed when an injury occurs. I'm sure they've at least gave Reitz a few reps at tackle, and he has developed a level of familiarity with all the starters by now.

I get what you're saying in that he is excelling at LG and you don't want to disrupt that. I guess what I'm saying is, Reitz has the raw talent and intelligence to make the shift. His skill-set screams of tackle, and I think it's better to have the talent on the line spread out, rather than all on one side. The left side is solid but the right needs at least one player who can make up for other's mistakes. Reitz is more than capable of being that guy.

Eh, I think you're making it a bigger issue than it potential would be. We don't know where the coaches have worked players out in practice or training camp. You make it seem as if none of the o-line are taking reps in anything but their assigned position on the depth chart. If that were the case, we'd really be screwed when an injury occurs. I'm sure they've at least gave Reitz a few reps at tackle, and he has developed a level of familiarity with all the starters by now.

I get what you're saying in that he excelling at LG and you don't want to disrupt that. I guess what I'm saying is, Reitz has the raw talent and intelligence to make the shift. His skill set screams of tackle, and I think it's better to have the talent on the line spread out, rather than all on one side. The left side is solid but the right needs at least one player who can make up for another's mistake. Reitz is more than capable of being that guy.

I think you and Balzer both make valid points. I am a firm believer in an athletic OG....and Reitz fits the mold. The play Donald Brown 'took home' showed excellent footwork.....you could see how his positioning was very similar to how he moved in the post when he played basketball at Western Michigan.

He will never be Hines Ward 'Dancing With the Stars....' but I think guard next to Castonzo and Satele will become home. Remember, the Ravens actually started Reitz at TE. NFL meant not for long for sure on that one. :)

I think you and Balzer both make valid points. I am a firm believer in an athletic OG....and Reitz fits the mold. The play Donald Brown 'took home' showed excellent footwork.....you could see how his positioning was very similar to how he moved in the post when he played basketball at Western Michigan.

He will never be Hines Ward 'Dancing With the Stars....' but I think guard next to Castonzo and Satele will become home. Remember, the Ravens actually started Reitz at TE. NFL meant not for long for sure on that one. :)

Another good point.

I guess what irritates me more than anything is we haven't been running to the left nearly enough, when that is obviously where all our talent is. Wherever they line him up, they need to run it his direction more. On that, we can all agree

Reitz is not a run blocker that is a problem he is far from a mauler which is required at Guard even more then quick feet , sure he opened up a hole on the first play of the preseason but that play was pass and designed as such more then a run I have been for putting Reitz at Right Tackle since the beginning

Reitz is not a run blocker that is a problem he is far from a mauler which is required at Guard even more then quick feet , sure he opened up a hole on the first play of the preseason but that play was pass and designed as such more then a run I have been for putting Reitz at Right Tackle since the beginning

I know we have had this discussion on guards.....they need to be able to pull, Quick feet and technique are crucial. (Mauling is awesome too :)) For sake of not arguing, I am for anything that makes this OL gel as a unit, protect Luck, and get the ground game 'rolling.'

LOL, Is there anyone on this team that you do like? The term 'mauler' has been getting thrown around here a lot lately, and it means a whole bunch of nothing. Frankly I don't care if he is or isn't a mauler, so long as he can sustain an effective block downfield and open lanes. That's all that's required from the guard position; not pancaking DT's every other play. I think he's been great at guard, but he's needed more at tackle at this point. Justice is just too slow and isn't as savvy as you'd suspect a vet o-linemen to be at this stage in his career.