Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign 9 of 11 draft picks

TKnight24

9 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

I never understood, why rookies aren't signed right away. Did you not want to be drafted? Or are you negotiating on your first contract?

I doubt it. The last rookie to do that was Bosa and I think he ended up having to swallow his pride. It’s probably just a language issues holding up the signing.

21 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

LOL, I’m actually scared that Nelson will injure some of the other rookies! 

Knock on wood! 

Maybe that's why Leonard is not signing... wants a clause "will not be matched against Nelson in rookie mini camp" in his contract. 

55 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

And some people said we reached for Q.Nelson. But in the same breath say we need to protect Luck...Wait a minute...So CB goes to the market, buys groceries and you complain that he took too long? 

Happy Mothers Day!

52 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I doubt it. The last rookie to do that was Bosa and I think he ended up having to swallow his pride. It’s probably just a language issues holding up the signing.

But these should all be standard contracts now with the rookie wage scale, position dependent of course. 

It should just be a matter of inputting the wage, the name, and position dependent stats and be done.

15 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

And some people said we reached for Q.Nelson. But in the same breath say we need to protect Luck...Wait a minute...So CB goes to the market, buys groceries and you complain that he took too long? 

Happy Mothers Day!

If it's a reach, then he did it too quick lol

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Bosa won one side and the Chargers won another.  They also were trying to add wording and change things up a bit for some reason.  Many were confused why they created the issue with Bosa's agent to begin with.

19 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

But these should all be standard contracts now with the rookie wage scale, position dependent of course. 

It should just be a matter of inputting the wage, the name, and position dependent stats and be done.

could come down to little details including how much an Agent for a player gets % wise

"There are very few negotiable items: offset language (the ability for the team to recover guaranteed money if the player is released and signs elsewhere), bonus payment terms, roster bonus allocations and other miscellaneous structural issues. "  from NFL.com

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, csmopar said:

could come down to little details including how much an Agent for a player gets % wise

"There are very few negotiable items: offset language (the ability for the team to recover guaranteed money if the player is released and signs elsewhere), bonus payment terms, roster bonus allocations and other miscellaneous structural issues. "  from NFL.com

To add to this, there are some agents that represent numerous draft picks and UDFA rookies (not to mention other veterans who could be working/reworking deals), and it takes time to explain everything to each client and make sure they are on board/ understand what they are signing. 

Cant do it all in one day. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Maybe that's why Leonard is not signing... wants a clause "will not be matched against Nelson in rookie mini camp" in his contract. 

The defensive rookies will serve Nelson pancakes for breakfast so that he wouldn't pancake them on the field because he already got his share for the day. :) 

2 hours ago, Narcosys said:

NFL contracts do not work that way. They are not standard pre printed forms to sign as you suggest.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

The defensive rookies will serve Nelson pancakes for breakfast so that he wouldn't pancake them on the field because he already got his share for the day. :) 

Ha!  Then they NEED to serve him tea bags, apparently.

2 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Nelson is not a guy I would try to pick a fight with. He's got the resting angry face going on and I'm sure he'd never let you go if he got his hands on you. #EarlTea

No * teammates Big Q heh

Just now, NewEra said:

No * teammates Big Q heh

Lol tea bag is being filtered

9 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Darius Leonard and Braden Smith not signed! 

:HFire:

:bossy:

:goodluck:

I find this really silly especially for guys not in the first round. The salaries are slotted pretty well by position in the draft. It seems like they're asking for bonus and guaranteed salary

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

NFL contracts do not work that way. They are not standard pre printed forms to sign as you suggest.

Rookie contracts mostly do...   the issues to haggle over are smaller issues...   some contract language...   some issues over bonuses and such...   but with rookie deals these typically are done very quickly...   

We're talking about a few weeks to a month or more and most every rookie deal will be done...   things get more complicated over the second contract...

15 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Darius Leonard and Braden Smith not signed! 

:HFire:

:bossy:

:goodluck:

This is pure speculation but Smith may be arguing that they were drafted at the same time and he should get money like he is the earlier pick.  

like coryatt and emtman

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Rookie contracts mostly do...   the issues to haggle over are smaller issues...   some contract language...   some issues over bonuses and such...   but with rookie deals these typically are done very quickly...   

We're talking about a few weeks to a month or more and most every rookie deal will be done...   things get more complicated over the second contract...

Contracts are normally 10-20 page long. The money and term are pretty standard but then there is something called boiler plate sentences.

There is also another 10-20 pages of addendum pages that are not standard. That is where the players agent and the teams go to war in negotiations. Those are far from standard.

These contracts are not as standard or too common as you might think when it comes to the addendum negotiations between the player and teams.

There are contracts and there are ROOKIE contracts.   They are NOT the same.

That was a major part of the last CBA...   to eliminate rookie holdouts over the haggling...   and for about 99 percent, it's an overwhelming success.   That's why rookie deals are signed so quickly.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There are contracts and there are ROOKIE contracts.   They are NOT the same.

That was a major part of the last CBA...   to eliminate rookie holdouts over the haggling...   and for about 99 percent, it's an overwhelming success.   That's why rookie deals are signed so quickly.

The last CBA negotiations did stop hold outs but that was over money and the length but did not stop the addendum section of the contract.

That is the section of the contract that still is negotiated and is where teams and players (agents) go to war with each other. Why you think that is standard I don't know?

37 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The last CBA negotiations did stop hold outs but that was over money and the length but did not stop the addendum section of the contract.

That is the section of the contract that still is negotiated and is where teams and players (agents) go to war with each other. Why you think that is standard I don't know?

Because there are almost no hold outs any more...

1-2, maybe 3 a year...     that's it.     Otherwise,  99.8 percent of rookie deals are done quickly.

There's little to almost no haggling that is done.      The biggest issue left on rookie deals is the off-set language.    And even that only applies mostly to the top draft picks.   But sooner or later,  they all get settled.    The days of long hold-outs are over.

And you seem to saying otherwise.     So, I'm confused.

36 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Because there are almost no hold outs any more...

1-2, maybe 3 a year...     that's it.     Otherwise,  99.8 percent of rookie deals are done quickly.

There's little to almost no haggling that is done.      The biggest issue left on rookie deals is the off-set language.    And even that only applies mostly to the top draft picks.   But sooner or later,  they all get settled.    The days of long hold-outs are over.

And you seem to saying otherwise.     So, I'm confused.

The hold outs were over money and the agents were a huge part of that.

I am talking about the addendum part of the contract. Those issues are not as cut and dried as you claim. (or IMO as you think) 

Those sections of today's rookie contract can be longer than the base contract signed over money.

It seems the general consensus that these contracts are simple and standard when in reality they are not when the whole contract in it's entirety is considered.

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The hold outs were over money and the agents were a huge part of that.

I am talking about the addendum part of the contract. Those issues are not as cut and dried as you claim. (or IMO as you think) 

Those sections of today's rookie contract can be longer than the base contract signed over money.

It seems the general consensus that these contracts are simple and standard when in reality they are not when the whole contract in it's entirety is considered.

The holdouts are over the so-called "off-set" language.

When roughly 99.8 percent of rookie contracts are done quickly and only one small handful of holdouts last for any length of time, 

The change in the CBA was to get rid of long holdouts.     It's done exactly that.

You and I are having this discussion when the Colts have announced that 9 of 11 of their rookie deals are already signed,  and the other two are expected pretty quickly.

I'm not sure what we're debating about?

31 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That the rookie contracts are standard and simple when it's not that cut and dried.

My comment wasnt to be taken literally....

But if it's as difficult as you seem to think it is...   then why are roughly 250 contracts done on time and maybe a handful --- roughly less than 5 are drawn out negotiations?