Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rashaan Melvin: Colts "told me they want me to be back"

MTC

21 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'd think the offer would be influenced by what type of coverage scheme we go with.  You always want to retain good players no matter what, but Zone CBs tend not to get paid like Man CBs, IMO.

He may walk if a scheme change prices him out.

Cowboys played plenty of man with Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne under Rod Marinelli's scheme, Colts did so under Ron Meeks once they got both Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden. It is finding the right kind of CBs to mix it up. 

With Ballard's penchant for big man CBs, I think man coverage will be incorporated plenty into the Tampa 2. The issue will be developing the stellar safeties and ILB that make that D tick. 

11 hours ago, King! said:

I'm not paying him $10 million a year for one good season. I like Melvin but at the right price.

I agree I would hope we can get him on a somewhat discounted price of around 7-8 mil per year. Like Melvin said, this is where his career blossomed. So he would be smart to stay with a team he is familiar with and should hopefully understand he had 1 very good year. To get top dollar, you need multiple good years. 

Big, fast, physical, good tackler, plays better with the ball in front of him. I think he's a good fit in the new defense, better than in Pagano's defense where he worked his way into a good starter last season. I think they should make him a fair, multi-year offer. If he wants to play the market, I'm fine with that. Not breaking the bank for him, but keeping him makes even more sense now than it did a month ago.

My offer is still three years, $22.5m, $10m guaranteed. I can be talked into $24m total.

3 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

:sigh:  He's earned a roster spot but that doesn't mean he's worth Xavier Rhodes or Richard Sherman money. He's a serviceable player, not elite. His contract will show that.

So list me another CB on the roster who played better than Melvin. We have a glaring hole in that position. Without bringing in a free agent there is no one else as good as him. Throwing him cheap money after he earned a starting spot is an insult to him. You don't seen to understand my intent.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

So list me another CB on the roster who played better than Melvin. We have a glaring hole in that position. Without bringing in a free agent there is no one else as good as him. Throwing him cheap money after he earned a starting spot is an insult to him. You don't seen to understand my intent.

Gees man... I'm not saying he didn't earn a roster spot because he definitely has. There isn't a better CB on the team currently unless Wilson steps up this year. What I am saying is that the Colts could choose not to resign him and bring in a FA and probably play about the same. I'm saying he's serviceable. He's not elite. I'm sure he signs for like $6-7M per year or so, not Xavier Rhoads or Richard Sherman money.

23 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Gees man... I'm not saying he didn't earn a roster spot because he definitely has. There isn't a better CB on the team currently unless Wilson steps up this year. What I am saying is that the Colts could choose not to resign him and bring in a FA and probably play about the same. I'm saying he's serviceable. He's not elite. I'm sure he signs for like $6-7M per year or so, not Xavier Rhoads or Richard Sherman money.

Where did I say he needed to be signed at Rhoads or Sherman money?  All this talk about signing starters at cheap contracts makes no sense. At this point we need Melvin. If he is not offered a decent contract he will walk. Offering him a cheap contract does nothing but show that the Colts are not willing to pay their players what they have earned.

We do not need elite players to win games. We need players just like Melvin who do the job they are paid to do. He has shown he can do that.

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Where did I say he needed to be signed at Rhoads or Sherman money?  All this talk about signing starters at cheap contracts makes no sense. At this point we need Melvin. If he is not offered a decent contract he will walk. Offering him a cheap contract does nothing but show that the Colts are not willing to pay their players what they have earned.

We do not need elite players to win games. We need players just like Melvin who do the job they are paid to do. He has shown he can do that.

I'm saying he isn't an elite player which most likely signs for $10M+ per year type money. I'm saying he will sign cheap because he's serviceable. It's not a knock on Melvin who did earn a position on our roster. From what I'm guessing is that Ballard may offer him $6-7M per year which is a fair deal in my opinion. Nothing wrong with that. Don't view "cheap" as a knock at $6-7M.

22 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I am pretty sure you are the guy who couldn't sense the sarcasm from a poster who suggested the Colts take Chubb and move him to safety a couple months ago.  So it is no surprise that you fail to see the nuance of what pgt_rob is saying.  To be clear, he is not suggesting that the Colts offer Melvin a $15 per hour deal.  

Would you have felt better if he had said "reasonable" contract instead of "cheap"?  

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

Cowboys played plenty of man with Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne under Rod Marinelli's scheme, Colts did so under Ron Meeks once they got both Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden. It is finding the right kind of CBs to mix it up. 

With Ballard's penchant for big man CBs, I think man coverage will be incorporated plenty into the Tampa 2. The issue will be developing the stellar safeties and ILB that make that D tick. 

Yeah...We need at least an elite MLB, I hope we get Vander Esch to be our Urlacher..

4 hours ago, Superman said:

Big, fast, physical, good tackler, plays better with the ball in front of him. I think he's a good fit in the new defense, better than in Pagano's defense where he worked his way into a good starter last season. I think they should make him a fair, multi-year offer. If he wants to play the market, I'm fine with that. Not breaking the bank for him, but keeping him makes even more sense now than it did a month ago.

My offer is still three years, $22.5m, $10m guaranteed. I can be talked into $24m total.

Yeah, Melvin proved his worth, we need to keep our good players..4 years 36 million is probably gonna be what it takes, but he is worth it..We lose him then we have another hole to fill in draft, or have to spend 12 million per on Trumaine Johnson in FA...DB's are a strength for us, keep Melvin, find a pass rusher and ILB or 2 and this defense will be more than servicable...

12 hours ago, CamMo said:

Ehhh. That’s how I feel about Melvin....

Ehhhh. He was definitely a play maker for us in 2017. But...He’s still Melvin. And I’ve had to cuss at my TV too much over his play.

But...No one is perfect. So...Ehhh.

So let me ask a question. Not specifically to you directly but jus a question in general.

Would getting a good pass rusher make Melvin and all the rest of the DBs job much easier?

9 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I am pretty sure you are the guy who couldn't sense the sarcasm from a poster who suggested the Colts take Chubb and move him to safety a couple months ago.  So it is no surprise that you fail to see the nuance of what pgt_rob is saying.  To be clear, he is not suggesting that the Colts offer Melvin a $15 per hour deal.  

Would you have felt better if he had said "reasonable" contract instead of "cheap"?  

So did you make this statement to antagonize me or to attempt to start an argument?

I think me and pgt_rob are fully capable to communicate what we meant without you trying to stir up trouble when there is none.

13 hours ago, Superman said:

Supe, this time last year, did you invision you offering give Melvin $22 million?

I don't think I thought he'd be any better than the 3rd-4th CB

Lol

He's been a pleasant surprise.

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Supe, this time last year, did you invision you offering give Melvin $22 million?

I don't think I thought he'd be any better than the 3rd-4th CB

Lol

He's been a pleasant surprise.

This time last year, I thought Melvin should be cut. He played way better than I expected last season. I don't know if he would continue to hold up in a man defense, because he still has some limitations; but I could see him playing even better next season.

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

This time last year, I thought Melvin should be cut. He played way better than I expected last season. I don't know if he would continue to hold up in a man defense, because he still has some limitations; but I could see him playing even better next season.

Thanks for this.    

And since confession is good for the soul,  this time last year I was defending Rob Chudzinski.   And we all know how that worked out.   Very disappointing.

Hopefully better days ahead for all of us here...        :thmup:

18 hours ago, CamMo said:

Ehhh. That’s how I feel about Melvin....

Ehhhh. He was definitely a play maker for us in 2017. But...He’s still Melvin. And I’ve had to cuss at my TV too much over his play.

But...No one is perfect. So...Ehhh.

I'm trying to figure out whether you want Melvin back or not. Not exactly a resounding endorsement there Camo. Is that a hard no or luke warm yes? We'll just put this in the indifferent column I guess. 

15 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If we try and get him cheap and wimd up losing him, there's a chance we will have to replace him with someone more expensive and less talented.

Good point LJ. Stick with devil you know not the devil you don't. Plus, Melvin played well last yr so retaining him makes sense. Don't ask me to crunch numbers. Superman, Krunk, NCF, & JS23 are better at fiscal salary stuff than I'll ever be. 

9 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I'm trying to figure out whether you want Melvin back or not. Not exactly a resounding endorsement there Camo. Is that a hard no or luke warm yes? We'll just put this in the indifferent column I guess. 

Yeah, I’d say I’m leaning more towards ‘keep him’ after the things I’ve read on this thread. Some good points about the defense changing, him being able to play the ball more when it’s in front of him, etc. When he turns his back and starts running, my confidence goes out the window- idk whether he’ll just tackle his man or play the ball. haha

Some pressure up front would definitely help, too. 

On 2/23/2018 at 3:31 AM, Narcosys said:

Now it's a matter if the Colts 'value' or 'appreciate' him enough. It won't be about money, it's about respect.

IT IS about money. Ballard wants him back but at a price he thinks is best for the team. Melvin will see whats out there and Ballard will decide to match it or not.

2 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

IT IS about money. Ballard wants him back but at a price he thinks is best for the team. Melvin will see whats out there and Ballard will decide to match it or not.

It is about money and it works both ways.  Ballard won't wait around for Melvin.  If he can find a suitable replacement he will move first and Melvin might regret not taking our offer.   That's the FA gamble.