Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Drafting LB over cb

I've seen a lot of people say we should take a top corner if ones available, but I think, due to the depth at corner, we should absolutely go linebacker or at least edge rusher in the first.

We've seen that there's a huge premium for pass rushers during free agency, so the ability to draft one and have him on a minimal contract for 4 or 5 years is a huge asset.

Plus, we can still get great corners in the 2nd and 3rd round.

Just now, BOTT said:

Just depends who is available and who Ballard/staff likes....Duh....

Obviously, yes.

But, honestly, I think, assuming we don't trade back, if we're at 15, we're going to have either Foster, Reddick, Tak, or Barnett available, and I cannot make a case for taking a corner at that spot. I think we HAVE to take one of those guys first and take advantage of the depth at cornerback later in the draft.

Just now, Legend of Luck said:

Obviously, yes.

But, honestly, I think, assuming we don't trade back, if we're at 15, we're going to have either Foster, Reddick, Tak, or Barnett available, and I cannot make a case for taking a corner at that spot. I think we HAVE to take one of those guys first and take advantage of the depth at cornerback later in the draft.

Just to be clear, I was saying "duh" to what I wrote... not your post.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

BPA(with special exceptions). We need a ton of different positions on D, just draft the best player.

I've looked at the different grades on the first round players, and the top corners aren't rated much higher, if higher at all, than the top LBs. And the fact that there will be top rated corners in the second.

But, if we don't trade back (which, I kinda hope we do), I hope we go LB in the first, and LB/corner in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Use 2 of our 3 4ths on a RB and maybe O-line or Safety.

2 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

I've seen a lot of people say we should take a top corner if ones available, but I think, due to the depth at corner, we should absolutely go linebacker or at least edge rusher in the first.

We've seen that there's a huge premium for pass rushers during free agency, so the ability to draft one and have him on a minimal contract for 4 or 5 years is a huge asset.

Plus, we can still get great corners in the 2nd and 3rd round.

Agreed. The only CB I really want in the 1st is Conley. But you're right on pass rushers and elite ILB prospects. They go early. 

29 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

CB is a much bigger need than ILB; however, the CB class is much deeper and lots of top CBs will be there in the 2nd. That's why I think we should go LB (if Foster or Reddick are there) in round 1 then CB in round 2.

Yeah, if you look at the roster, on D, the CB position is dire.   Not that we're exceptional anywhere, but I think we're stronger than last season.  

Still, like you said, it should be BPA at 1, then at least two CBs.  

CB is the bigger need clearly but I feel that the linebackers available at 15 will probably have more impact than the corners in the same spot.

On the other side of the coin it looks to me like the corners in later rounds would be much more ready to contribute than the lower ranked LBs. 

26 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Yeah, if you look at the roster, on D, the CB position is dire.   Not that we're exceptional anywhere, but I think we're stronger than last season.  

I agree 100%

43 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I really like John Simon believe he impacts our LBs , the other signings make us more athletic. I can see us taking a good MLB in the 15 slot . Id be happy if next 3 were Corners. Hankins hopefully a healthy Anderson and Lankford on the DL will help the LBs.

1 minute ago, Jay Kirk said:

I really like John Simon believe he impacts our LBs , the other signings make us more athletic. I can see us taking a good MLB in the 15 slot . Id be happy if next 3 were Corners. Hankins hopefully a healthy Anderson and Lankford on the DL will help the LBs.

Well, we won't be taking Brantley, that's for sure.  

Yeah, our Dline should be strong, the LBs we have on the roster are not bad (always could use that edge rusher), and the safety position is okay and could be good.  

Lots of good corners, let's hope we get a few.  

2 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

Quite honestly, the same thing can be said for the secondary. A better front helps the back end of any team. I'm torn between wanting a top cb with the first pick or the top rushing lb'er to keep high pressure on the QB and making the backend easier to staff with just above avg guys and avoid paying cap space in the secondary. At any rate, I just hope the spot we get is a perennial pro bowl like guy that stands out in the league. 

14 minutes ago, Barrdaddy said:

Cornerback is more critical, bringing Hankins in will help mask any real deficiencies our MLB's have. Wait until the later rounds and scoop up Alex Anzalone, and the dude from Lindenwood. That would be a solid draft 

Can say that either way. Foster 1 Monreau 2 Jordan Lewis 3. Hankins is great but he's not all-pro. 

6 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

I believe we will have at least 1 top CB, But it may also come down to selecting a second CB or to Add 1 safety,  because I believe Colts will draft at least 1 olinemen.

Nice thing about this draft is while the tackle class is weak at the top the guard position is realively deep at that second tier. Could easily see us getting one in rd 4 that could be groomed.

4 hours ago, bananabucket said:

I say we draft 7 corners this year, then 7 pass rushers next year.

Why not lol. Last year we took 4 OL. I could easily see us taking two corners (2nd and 4th rd) and a couple LBs (one inside and one outside). This would still allow us to address RB perhaps in 3rd or 4th and a guard and safety. But we are likely to take multiple corners and probably a safety...the way Ballard has run his offseason it's almost assured we we see minimum 3 secondary picks and likely a few LBs with a RB somewhere in there. So yeah 7 corners maybe not but I don't think it's far off.

Even tho its unlikely I would really like to see all 7-8 picks go to the defensive side of the ball  (depending on trading back and gaining an extra pick). I doubt that will happen, but I would be really disappointed in this draft if its a balance split of 4 defensive 3 offensive, or 5 defensive 3 offensive. I think our offense can play with any defense in the league even with an old running back and young o-line, and if we had a D that can shut down teams I think we could make a deep run in the post season. 

The ILB class isn't as deep as the CB class so you won't get anyone nearly as good as Reddick, Foster (if Ballard is okay with him), or Davis.

My want for CB in the first round stops after Conley. Assuming Lattimore is gone, if Conley isn't there you immediately start looking at ILB. Or even OLB with Harris.

My real hope is that if Conley is gone, we take Reddick/Davis and by some miracle Awuzie is there in the 2nd. If not then get Tankersly.

The perfect scenario though would be Conley at 15 and hope Davis slips to the 2nd or we trade back up for him. I'd also get Sidney Jones in the 3rd if he's there. If not Shaquille Griffin.