Colts are signing WR Kamar Aiken

Everyone

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, bababooey said:

He might still be decent but for a first round pick after 2 seasons he obviously wasn't worth his draft position.

He hasn't been used so how can anyone tell if he wasn't worth his draft position?

He is on a team who's QB has never had the time to go through his progressions. Luck looks for Hilton first and then dumps off to the TE position. Normally it takes a WR three years to learn to play in the NFL so his value hasn't been established.

People keep saying this is trouble for Chester Rogers or Dorsett..... but is anyone taking special teams into account? Has Aiken returned kicks / punts before? Maybe this is trouble for Bray... 

Hilton
Moncrief
Aiken 
Rogers
Dorsett 

I'll take that line up over quite a few others in the league... Maybe not the best WR corp, but definitely solid.

18 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Everyone was hurt the year he had 75.  

That doesn't take away from anything that he did. That is how a lot of players break out and become stars/great players. Not everyone starts off as a starter. I like this signing. He isn't anything fancy, but more reliable than Dorsett until Dorsett proves otherwise. 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

He hasn't been used so how can anyone tell if he wasn't worth his draft position?

He is on a team who's QB has never had the time to go through his progressions. Luck looks for Hilton first and then dumps off to the TE position. Normally it takes a WR three years to learn to play in the NFL so his value hasn't been established.

He's had plenty of chances, especially with Moncrief injured last year, and he basically got one home run touchdown against the Jags. He can still contribute but he's a total first round bust.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Plenty of cap left, and plenty of holes to fill.  NT, CB, ILB, competition/depth at G, and S.

We were at 13.6 million remaining before this signing so we don't have as much as you think.  And that didn't include the Brandon Williams contract either

6 minutes ago, bababooey said:

He's had plenty of chances, especially with Moncrief injured last year, and he basically got one home run touchdown against the Jags. He can still contribute but he's a total first round bust.

A WR has to have the ball thrown to him to show what he can do. Dorsett has yet to be in that position.

Am I saying he is a star? No, but he really has not been used enough to have a clear answer.

A WR has to have the ball thrown to him to show what he can do. Dorsett has yet to be in that position.

Am I saying he is a star? No, but he really has not been used enough to have a clear answer.

Correct, he is not a star. Thank you for agreeing with me. Shouldn't have drafted him in the first.

16 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

People keep saying this is trouble for Chester Rogers or Dorsett..... but is anyone taking special teams into account? Has Aiken returned kicks / punts before? Maybe this is trouble for Bray... 

Hilton
Moncrief
Aiken 
Rogers
Dorsett 

I'll take that line up over quite a few others in the league... Maybe not the best WR corp, but definitely solid.

Aiken doesn't seem like a returner, too big and I don't think he's very fast, never returned in his pro career. Could be somewhere on the ST though.

I think Dorsett or Rogers is going to have to be the returner.

59 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't think Ballard is taking fantasy stats into consideration. 

Fantasy stats and real life stats don't oppose each other, in fact, they go hand in hand. It was a cheap depth signing, and like I said, it'll keep us from wasting a draft pick on a WR. Nothing more, nothing less.

16 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

We were at 13.6 million remaining before this signing so we don't have as much as you think.  And that didn't include the Brandon Williams contract either

There is no way we were only left with 13.6 mill at this point just the other day before the Brandon Williams signing we were at like 30 million so unless Williams took 17 million I don't believe that one bit.

Why is anybody being pushed down the depth chart?  Some people just choose to see things in a way that validates their opinion.

We have 4 WRs and we usually carry 5.  A one year deal suggests he'll be competing for a roster spot along with the same as the PS guys we had last year.  And if he does well enough, he might get a multiyear contract instead of Moncrief.

1 minute ago, GusBus24 said:

There is no way we were only left with 13.6 mill at this point just the other day before the Brandon Williams signing we were at like 30 million so unless Williams took 17 million I don't believe that one bit.

From our Cap Guru on my website

From that $31.706m, subtract:

$6.322m = Estimated draft pool class
$3.000m = Darius Butler
$3.000m = "Churn" space in-season
$2.500m = Al Woods
$1.200m = Estimated 10 man practice squad
$1.080m = Spots #52 and #53 on the active roster

Which gets us down to $13.604.

this does not include Williams and now Aiken

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

He also has to get open to show what he can do, and based on his targets and receptions, he hasn't done that. I was higher on Dorsett than anyone on this Forum, before and after he was drafted. I had him ranked above Amari Cooper for goodness sakes and even I'm willing to admit I'm wrong. He's been a disappointment. Maybe with a different coach besides Chuck he'll succeed, but he probably won't get that chance. Don't expect much in 2017 from him, and that makes the Aiken signing decent in itself.

5 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Or just be realistic and find a balance between position of need and BPA like Brown or Collins who were both available.

Calling any pick realistic is a stretch. Every GM in the league hits and misses with every pick.

It is a popular subject to use hindsight to second guess any pick who don't become an all star.

I guess the 10 GMs who picked the players in front of JJ Watt wished they had hindsight too.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Why is anybody being pushed down the depth chart?  Some people just choose to see things in a way that validates their opinion.

We have 4 WRs and we usually carry 5.  A one year deal suggests he'll be competing for a roster spot along with the same as the PS guys we had last year.  And if he does well enough, he might get a multiyear contract instead of Moncrief.

Hilton,  Moncrief,  Dorsett,  Rodgers,  Bray.

Aiken is the 6th WR in the group.

Not sure where you got 4 from?

Calling any pick realistic is a stretch. Every GM in the league hits and misses with every pick.

It is a popular subject to use hindsight to second guess any pick who don't become an all star.

I guess the 10 GMs who picked the players in front of JJ Watt wished they had hindsight too.

I think he means realistic by the position Grigson took Dorsett at (A WR), which was a bit of a luxury pick, rather than a defensive pick. No one was using hindsight that year. If you paid attention to the draft chat and threads, literally everyone wanted either Malcom Brown or Landon Collins. The forum got it right that year.

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Fantasy stats and real life stats don't oppose each other, in fact, they go hand in hand. It was a cheap depth signing, and like I said, it'll keep us from wasting a draft pick on a WR. Nothing more, nothing less.

I disagree.   He was drafted my most because he had a big 2015.   Then with Steve Smith back, he was pulled from the rotation.  

I think he means realistic by the position Grigson took Dorsett at (A WR), which was a bit of a luxury pick, rather than a defensive pick. No one was using hindsight that year. If you paid attention to the draft chat and threads, literally everyone wanted either Malcom Brown or Landon Collins. The forum got it right that year.

I have no issue with your explanation at all.

I just feel calling Dorsett a bust is pre mature when he really hasn't played on a team that uses him as a starter. Luck doesn't have the time to look for him so we really have no clue what he can and can't do. No one can say he wouldn't play better under different circumstances.

42 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Calling a player a bust that hasn't had the chance to show what he can do is pre mature.

I see it both ways.

Dorsett hasn't been given the chance to prove whether he was a bust as a first round pick or not. 

However, it was a bust for the Colts to use a first round pick on him.  

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I just feel calling Dorsett a bust is pre mature when he really hasn't played on a team that uses him as a starter. Luck doesn't have the time to look for him so we really have no clue what he can and can't do. No one can say he wouldn't play better under different circumstances.

I know you haven't used this term, but those who have,  I wouldn't call Dorsett a bust....    but I will say he has under-achieved and not performed as the Colts have hoped for.

That said,  we signed a new, highly regarded WR coach this off-season,  and so I think our WR group is going to step-up their game this year.     That's my expectation.....

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I just don't feel calling Dorsett a bust is pre mature when he really hasn't played on a team that uses him as a starter. Luck doesn't have the time to look for him so we really have no clue what he can and can't do. No one can say he wouldn't play better under different circumstances.

My problem with Dorsett isn't the fact that he's a bust as of yet, it's the fact that Luck clearly doesn't trust him. He wasn't getting many targets when he was the 3rd receiver, and when Moncrief went down, that number barely went up, if at all. If anything Doyle took over as the 2nd receiving target, and Luck focused in on Hilton even more as a safety valve, which is shown by Hilton being the most targeted receiver in the NFL last year. 

I simply see added depth, and competition.  No one one Is pushing any one depth charts. Ballard said he wants competition at at these positions so let's wait for camps to see who's what, not previous seasons & fantasy football. Most of these guys have never had as playtime as they'll get here granted they eartn it

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Plenty of cap left, and plenty of holes to fill.  NT, CB, ILB, competition/depth at G, and S.

2 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

That will prolly wrap up FA for us unless some good options get cut by other teams later on

Colts are still in the running for Zach Brown as well. Free Agency is far from over for Chris Ballard 

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When it comes to the Draft, it's easy to use hindsight. I guess every GM is kicking themselves for not taking Brady when they had 198 chances to do so.

i wish we had taken him to keep him away from the patriots

he would have rode the bench and probably never amounted to anything behind peyton

My problem with Dorsett isn't the fact that he's a bust as of yet, it's the fact that Luck clearly doesn't trust him. He wasn't getting many targets when he was the 3rd receiver, and when Moncrief went down, that number barely went up, if at all. If anything Doyle took over as the 2nd receiving target, and Luck focused in on Hilton even more as a safety valve, which is shown by Hilton being the most targeted receiver in the NFL last year. 

Hopefully Luck will get more time to go through his progressions. That won't happen till the O-line gets better.

Even though we had a top rated offense protecting Luck was and still is an issue as far as we know.

Just now, aaron11 said:

i wish we had taken him to keep him away from the patriots

he would have rode the bench and probably never amounted to anything behind peyton

What's funny is you are probably right because we had Peyton until the end of the 2011 Season. Sports can be a weird thing and Brady ended up with the perfect situation and perfect Coach. Terrell Davis is another guy that didn't get Drafted until Round 6, without him Elway might be ringless? Look at how many GM's passed on Davis. Look at how many GM's passed on Randy Moss, he was Drafted 21st by the Vikings in 1998. Emmitt Smith went 17th in 1990, Montana didn't get Drafted until Round 3 in 1979.

19 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I agree. They want to use him as a speed receiver but Luck doesn't have the time for him to get down field and get him the ball. The few times where he has had the time Dorsett has torched people. If you want to look up comparable numbers look at Reggie Wayne's first 2-3 years and then look what he did. Give Dorsett a little more time and I think he comes around.  

21 minutes ago, Myles said:

I see it both ways.

Dorsett hasn't been given the chance to prove whether he was a bust as a first round pick or not. 

However, it was a bust for the Colts to use a first round pick on him.  

Thanks, this is what I have been saying. Except he did have a nice stretch with Moncrief out last year to prove himself and he had one big play in London and that was it.

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

He might still be decent but for a first round pick after 2 seasons he obviously wasn't worth his draft position.

Someone who was drafted a round earlier than they should've been doesn't really qualify as a bust. Dorsett's production also doubled from his rookie year to second season, so the arrow's technically still pointed up. If he doesn't put it all together this year though, he's likely gone. I also wouldn't be surprised if Ballard has intentions of trading Dorsett after this signing.