Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your 10 favorite Colts players of the last 15 years.

RockThatBlue

I was bored and got to thinking about who my 10 favorite players of the last 15 years are. Heres my list.

1. Peyton Manning

2. Andrew Luck

3. Dwight Freeney

4. Bob Sanders.

5. Tarik Glenn.

6. Robert Mathis

7. Reggie Wayne

8. Dallas Clark.

9. Marvin Harrison

10. Edgerrin James

I originally had Bethea 10th but its hard to not have Edge on this list...

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

I was bored and got to thinking about who my 10 favorite players of the last 15 years are. Heres my list.

1. Peyton Manning

2. Andrew Luck

3. Dwight Freeney

4. Bob Sanders.

5. Tarik Glenn.

6. Robert Mathis

7. Reggie Wayne

8. Dallas Clark.

9. Marvin Harrison

10. Edgerrin James

Mine are:

1. Peyton Manning

2. Andrew Luck

3. Bob Sanders

4. Marvin Harrison

5. Reggie Wayne

6. Dwight Freeney

7. Robert Mathis

8. Jeff Saturday

9. Adam Vinatieri

10. Dallas Clark 

1.) Peyton Manning- (GOAT)

2.) Reggie Wayne- b(Always played hard and was great on and off the field)

3.) Bob Sanders- (Best Colts defensive playmaker in history.)

4.) Marvin Harrison- (One of the best of all time. HOF)

5.) Andrew Luck- (Little lower than most would probably put him, Great potential, has shown to be one of the best like most expected. Most probably because of the roster around him. Still a good QB with a chance to be the next great QB.)

6.) Dwight Freeney- (Spin Move, Offensive Tackles worst nightmare on the field. Part of the best pass rushing tandem to ever play the game.)

7.) T.Y. Hilton (Underrated out of college, a speedy WR that works hard and has put up some good numbers! Great on and off the field.)

8.) Jeff Saturday (One of the most underrated/ best lineman Colts have had.)

9.) Robert Mathis (He hates QBs, Sack fumble machine. Part of the best pass rushing tandem to ever play the game.)

10.) Vontae Davis. (Very funny guy and a great find by Grigson. Colts needed a great CB and they got one.)

Note: Adam V would be next most likely. He's one player that I seriously assume he is going to miss every field goal but he somehow is as close to automatic as a kicker can get! Lol

1) Peyton

2) Reggie

3) Marvin

4) Mathis

5) Dallas

6) Saturday

7) Tarik

8) Dwight

9) Pat

10) Vinny

I don't have any of the "newer" Colts yet because they haven't been here long enough for me.  Hopefully, by the time they are done, I can replace a few names here.

46 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

1.) Peyton Manning- (GOAT)

2.) Reggie Wayne- b(Always played hard and was great on and off the field)

3.) Bob Sanders- (Best Colts defensive playmaker in history.)

4.) Marvin Harrison- (One of the best of all time. HOF)

5.) Andrew Luck- (Little lower than most would probably put him, Great potential, has shown to be one of the best like most expected. Most probably because of the roster around him. Still a good QB with a chance to be the next great QB.)

6.) Dwight Freeney- (Spin Move, Offensive Tackles worst nightmare on the field. Part of the best pass rushing tandem to ever play the game.)

7.) T.Y. Hilton (Underrated out of college, a speedy WR that works hard and has put up some good numbers! Great on and off the field.)

8.) Jeff Saturday (One of the most underrated/ best lineman Colts have had.)

9.) Robert Mathis (He hates QBs, Sack fumble machine. Part of the best pass rushing tandem to ever play the game.)

10.) Vontae Davis. (Very funny guy and a great find by Grigson. Colts needed a great CB and they got one.)

Note: Adam V would be next most likely. He's one player that I seriously assume he is going to miss every field goal but he somehow is as close to automatic as a kicker can get! Lol

I agree that Bob Sanders was a great defensive play maker in the last 15 years but I have to disagree with Colts history. IMO Freeney and Marchetti made more bigger plays than Sanders. Then you have Bubba Smith that also made a lot more plays than Sanders. You also cant overlook Ted Hendricks and Mike Curtis to add to the conversation.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I agree that Bob Sanders was a great defensive play maker in the last 15 years but I have to disagree with Colts history. IMO Freeney and Marchetti made more bigger plays than Sanders. Then you have Bubba Smith that also made a lot more plays than Sanders. You also cant overlook Ted Hendricks and Mike Curtis to add to the conversation.

I never seen Marchetti live or Smith but if I went by since I have been a fan (1984 since the team moving to Indy) regarding may favorite Colts my list would be:

1. Peyton Manning - Top 3 QB of all-time!

2. Andrew Luck - I have him 2nd already, what he did in his first 3 seasons was short of amazing considering the Roster/Running game/Defenses we have had. 33-15 as a starter and a Title Game appearance + a 40 TD passing season as well.

3. Bob Sanders - To me he was the 2nd most important player on our 2006 SB winning team only behind Peyton. I don't think we beat teams like the Ravens or Pats without him. He also won DPOY in 2007.

4. Marvin Harrison - His number should be retired! Top 5 WR of all-time IMO!

5. Reggie Wayne - He defined what a Colts player should be on and off the field!

6. Dwight Freeney - We all seen how important he was when he was injured in the 2009 SB vs the Saints. He is one of the best Pass Rushers of all-time.

7. Jim Harbaugh - This is where my list changed compared to my other one basing it on only 15 seasons. Harbaugh gave me thrills and chills during the 1995 Season where we were 1 play away from making the SB/winning the Conference.

8. Eric Dickerson - Another change compared to my other list. He was the 1st real franchise player we had here in Indianapolis. When we got him it put us the map here in Indy. We were no longer a joke.

9. Robert Mathis - Similar to Freeney and has been a True Colt since day 1! Has more all-time sacks than Freeney too as a Colt.

10. Jeff Saturday - HOFame Center and anchored our O.Line the whole time Peyton was here.

Honorable Mentions: Adam Vinatieri and Dallas Clark.

I'm going to go with a bit of a different route... excluding Quarterbacks and a lot of popular players I guess, these are more personal favorites? If that makes sense. Also i'm only 22 so it's difficult for me to remember players dating back to when I was 7 years and a bit after that. 

1.) Marvin Harrison- Obsessed with following his stats and watching his one-handed grabs when I was in middle school! 

2.) Bob Sanders- My first Jersey, I was #21 in JAAF because of him

3.) Austin Collie- Rising star, such a shame.

4.) Vontae Davis- First ever Corner I remember seeing on the Colts that was just so dominant.

5.) Marcus Pollard- The first Tight End I remember I saw playing.

6.) Joseph Addai- Won the Super Bowl as a rookie, didn't start a game, over 1,000 yards

7.) Brandon Stokely- Saw him come out of nowhere, best 3rd receiver we've ever had IMHO

8.) Marlin Jackson- Solid Corner IMO, amazing AFCG Moment

9.) Robert Mathis- Sack Machine, Very humble and down to earth

10.) Jerraud Powers- Just always liked the dude, always wish we would have kept him

1 hour ago, shakedownstreet said:

i'm too lazy to pick 10

What's funny is nobody really can because really we have had at least 25 players since 1984 when the Colts move to Indy to choose from. Leaving someone off almost feels like one is dissing them. It's only a favorite player list not a best ever list though but 25 Indianapolis Colts that were Great or Very Good have been:

QB's - Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, Jim Harbaugh

RB's - Eric Dickerson, Marshall Faulk, Edge James, Dominic Rhodes, Joseph Addai

WR's - Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Billy Brooks, Brandon Stokley

TE's - Dallas Clark

O.Lineman - Jeff Saturday C, Tarik Glenn OT

D.Lineman - Dwight Freeney DE, Robert Mathis DE, Booger McFarland DT

Linebackers - Gary Brackett MLB

Corners - Kelvin Hayden

Safety's - Bob Sanders, Antoine Bethea, Marlin Jackson

Kickers - Adam Vinatieri

Punters - Pat McAfee

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What's funny is nobody really can because really we have had at least 25 players since 1984 when the Colts move to Indy to choose from. Leaving someone off almost feels like one is dissing them. It's only a favorite player list not a best ever list though but 25 Indianapolis Colts that were Great or Very Good have been:

QB's - Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, Jim Harbaugh

RB's - Eric Dickerson, Marshall Faulk, Edge James, Dominic Rhodes, Joseph Addai

WR's - Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Billy Brooks, Brandon Stokley

TE's - Dallas Clark

O.Lineman - Jeff Saturday C, Tarik Glenn OT

D.Lineman - Dwight Freeney DE, Robert Mathis DE, Booger McFarland DT

Linebackers - Gary Brackett MLB

Corners - Kelvin Hayden

Safety's - Bob Sanders, Antoine Bethea, Marlin Jackson

Kickers - Adam Vinatieri

Punters - Pat McAfee

Things got ugly for Mike Vanderjagt but at one time he was the best in the NFL. Not the legend of Adam but still pretty good in his day. There was a couple of Colts who came from Baltimore that were pretty good too even tho the team wasn't very good.

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I partially agree with you.  When Sanders came back our team changed.  The worst run defense in the league to one of the best in the playoffs and that following year while sanders was on the field.

Top 10 Greatest Indianapolis Colts of all-time would be a different list compared to favorites and is a freakin tough one to compile. I have to think about that one for a while. Peyton Manning would have to be #1 IMO but after that it a crapshoot choosing. When it comes to RB's like Eric Dickerson and Marshall Faulk they only spent a short time here so they are tough to rank compared to a guy like Edge James in a Colts uniform.

My Top 5 would be:

1. Peyton Manning

2. Bob Sanders - I know many will disagree here but 2006 was priceless and he did win DPOY in 2007! I usually factor in longevity when I rank players but his impact on our team was unbelievable when he played. Having a Defensive player like that only comes around once every 10 years. He would've been in the same sentence as Ronnie Lott had he played 5 additional seasons and stayed healthy.

3. Marvin Harrison

4. Reggie Wayne

5. Dwight Freeney

-After this it gets tough ranking the greatest Indianapolis Colts players ever. If I was ranking a Top 5 Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts of all-time list I would go:

1. Peyton Manning

2. Johnny Unitas

3. Gino Marchetti

4. Bob Sanders

5. Marvin Harrison

1 hour ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

It's tough to choose just 10.

Top 10

Peyton Manning

Reggie Wayne

Robert Mathis

Bob Sanders

Jeff Satruday

Marvin Harrison

Antonie Bethea

T.Y. Hilton

Andrew Luck

Vontae Davis

Not far behind

McAfee

Adam V

Clayton Geathers

Edgerrin James

I'm not going to lie, I would never of guessed that Clayton Geathers would be on someones list, or close to the top ten anyway! haha

Not that he's a bad player.. He just hasn't earned his stripes as one of my favorites, such as Clark, Wayne, Harrison, Manning, Luck, Vinatieri, Sanders, etc

1 minute ago, Vinatieri4 said:

I'm not going to lie, I would never of guessed that Clayton Geathers would be on someones list, or close to the top ten anyway! haha

Not that he's a bad player.. He just hasn't earned his stripes as one of my favorites, such as Clark, Wayne, Harrison, Manning, Luck, Vinatieri, Sanders, etc

I don't disagree but I really like Geathers and I liked him at UCF as well!  I was glad the Colts snagged him, I hope he's a Colt for a long time :thmup:

12 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

1. Peyton Manning

2. Andrew Luck

3. Dwight Freeney

4. Bob Sanders.

5. Tarik Glenn.

6. Robert Mathis

7. Reggie Wayne

8. Dallas Clark.

9. Marvin Harrison

10. Edgerrin James

I like your list but I would have to put Harbaugh in there somewhere and Ken Dilger

1. Reggie Wayne

2. Peyton Manning

3. Andrew Luck

4. Robert Mathis

5. Marvin Harrison

6. T.Y Hilton

7. Bob Sanderson

8. Jeff Saturday

9. Pat MacAfee

10. Vontae Davis

I'm temped do to short term memory to put Luck ahead of Peyton, just because Luck's first three season were just so magical at times, but over the long term, Peyton just gave me so many amazing memories as a Colts fan. Maybe one day Luck will take that crown, but not yet. Otherwise, I've just always loved Reggie Wayne, even back when Marvin was king. And then the new regime came and then the legendary veteran leadership and performance he showed in Luck's rookie season was unforgettable to me. I love to go back and re-watch the comeback game against the Packers sometimes just remind myself how clutch Wayne was.

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My Top 5 would be:

1. Peyton Manning

2. Bob Sanders - I know many will disagree here but 2006 was priceless and he did win DPOY in 2007! I usually factor in longevity when I rank players but his impact on our team was unbelievable when he played. Having a Defensive player like that only comes around once every 10 years. He would've been in the same sentence as Ronnie Lott had he played 5 additional seasons and stayed healthy.

Bob was a HOF talent that just did not last long enough to have a HOF career.  He had the same game-to-game impact (when he actually played) as Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed.  He was a generational talent that just could not stay on the field.  I actually think his size had a lot to do with it.  He was 5'9" and hit like Kam Chancellor while covering like Eric Berry.  The prototypical SS.

1 hour ago, tikyle said:

Bob was a HOF talent that just did not last long enough to have a HOF career.  He had the same game-to-game impact (when he actually played) as Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed.  He was a generational talent that just could not stay on the field.  I actually think his size had a lot to do with it.  He was 5'9" and hit like Kam Chancellor while covering like Eric Berry.  The prototypical SS.

Great comparison's. To me he basically was just a smaller version of Ronnie Lott. He just got injured too much.

1.  Edgerrin James

2.  Reggie Wayne

3.  Bob Sanders

4.  Marcus Pollard

5.  Bill Brooks

6.  Peyton Manning

7.  Dwight Freeney

8.  Robert Mathis

9.  Jim Harbaugh

10.  Marvin Harrison

Edited by sreeb2deeni
pressed tab button by mistake

Well since we are talking favorite and not the greatest and I am relatively younger

1 Andrew Luck. I know putting him over manning is crazy but I was really young when manning was drafted and he was just always so automatic but I remember the season we were losing I heard someone say talking about luck and how he was supposed to be the next luck and I started doing all the research I could, watching all the videos I could and all that is why I'm such a fanatic about the game now.

2 Peyton Manning he's what had us all thinking wins were automatic with him.

3 Reggie Wayne how can't you love the guy. I remember the year after he was injured in TC when he walked on the field almost everyone in the stands were yelling "Reggie Reggie" and I think that will always be one thing that sticks with me.

4 Robert Mathis what an outstanding monster he has been for us especially before his ACL

5 Marvin Harrison I think I could get lost for days watching his highlights I always knew watching him a Wayne that the defense was going to get blown up

6 Pat Mcafee I'm not even sure if there's a professional comedian  (outside of Rodney Carrington) that has made me laugh as hard as he has. All the Bob and Tom shows and what he does on snapchat plus the guy is just money and a beast. I still wonder what the conversation was like between him and holiday when holiday came and worked out for the colts.

7 Dallas Clark what a beast this guy seemed to be on the field I was so happy he came and retired a colt

8 Vinny I think he's more automatic than my trucks tranny (and more reliable)

9 Donte Moncreif I was super stoked when we picked him up but I knew they talked like he was raw but sitting in TC with my buddy about a 1/4 of the way through the practice and watching him run routes I looked over and said "this dude is going too be good" and he's exceeded my initial expectations and is quickly becoming my favorite

10 Dwight Freeny I'm not even sure there was a time in indy where everyone didn't have his jersey (I kid) but I know at school it seemed like everyone did. His spin move was scary and him and Mathis were one scary duo

22 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

1) Peyton

2) Reggie

3) Marvin

4) Mathis

5) Dallas

6) Saturday

7) Tarik

8) Dwight

9) Pat

10) Vinny

I don't have any of the "newer" Colts yet because they haven't been here long enough for me.  Hopefully, by the time they are done, I can replace a few names here.

Oh MAN!  I forgot Edge.  So I'm gonna put Edge at #4 and give Pat and Vinny a tie at #10.

1. Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck

2. Edgerrin James 1999/2000 was a beast. 

3. Marvin Harrison 

4. Reggie Wayne

5.Jim Harbaugh

6.Gary Brackett.-He did everything they said he shouldn't be able to do with his size

7. A.Bethia

8. Bob Sanders

9. Dwight Freeney

10. Robert Mathis. 

1) Peyton

2) Luck

3) James

4) Mathis

5) Harrison

6) Wayne

7) Freeney

8) Adam

9) TY

10) Sanders

12 hours ago, sreeb2deeni said:

1.  Edgerrin James

2.  Reggie Wayne

3.  Bob Sanders

4.  Marcus Pollard

5.  Bill Brooks

6.  Peyton Manning

7.  Dwight Freeney

8.  Robert Mathis

9.  Jim Harbaugh

10.  Marvin Harrison

I think Harbaugh/Brooks  goes further back in years

23 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Top 10 Greatest Indianapolis Colts of all-time would be a different list compared to favorites and is a freakin tough one to compile. I have to think about that one for a while. Peyton Manning would have to be #1 IMO but after that it a crapshoot choosing. When it comes to RB's like Eric Dickerson and Marshall Faulk they only spent a short time here so they are tough to rank compared to a guy like Edge James in a Colts uniform.

My Top 5 would be:

1. Peyton Manning

3. Marvin Harrison

4. Reggie Wayne

5. Dwight Freeney

-After this it gets tough ranking the greatest Indianapolis Colts players ever. If I was ranking a Top 5 Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts of all-time list I would go:

1. Peyton Manning

2. Johnny Unitas

3. Gino Marchetti

4. Bob Sanders

5. Marvin Harrison

I can't see Sanders at all with that Baltimore/Indy combo. I could see Bert Jones in that list, Bubba Smith, Lydall Mitchell, Roger Carr, Mike Curtis etc

1) Vincent "Sweet Pea" Burns

2) Corey Simon

3) Tony Ugoh

4) Samson Satele

5) Hank Baskett

6) LaRon Landy

7) Anthony Gonzalez

8) Quinn Pitcock

9) Jerry Hughes

10) Trent Richardson

Honorable mention: Bjoern Werner

Just kidding! :pcsmash:

This is really tough I would say:

1) Peyton Manning

2) Edgerrin James

3) Bob Sanders

4) Andrew Luck

5) Dwight Freeney

6) Marvin Harrison

7) Reggie Wayne

8) Jim Harbaugh

9) Tarik Glenn 

10) Marshall Faulk 

Honorable Mention: Marcus Pollard

On 7/19/2016 at 9:29 AM, crazycolt1 said:

Things got ugly for Mike Vanderjagt but at one time he was the best in the NFL. Not the legend of Adam but still pretty good in his day. There was a couple of Colts who came from Baltimore that were pretty good too even tho the team wasn't very good.

Yup. Vanderjagt not being clutch killed him. He was a terrific kicker otherwise, in fact he had some of the best years of a kicker in nfl history, he just wasnt very good in crunchtime. His career died after the missed kick against the steelers in the 2005 playoff game. Yuck, I hate even bringing that game up.

12 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Yup. Vanderjagt not being clutch killed him. He was a terrific kicker otherwise, in fact he had some of the best years of a kicker in nfl history, he just wasnt very good in crunchtime. His career died after the missed kick against the steelers in the 2005 playoff game. Yuck, I hate even bringing that game up.

Have another misery game when he missed some kicks before Miami won  OT playoff game in 2000.