Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Gore in 2016-17

Bravo

I really feel like he may have a great year this season. I feel that he may be a little under hyped coming into this year because of his age or maybe because he barely didn't reach 1,000 yards last season. 

After watching this video it is amazing what he did with that offensive line. I have no idea how he was able to find some of the holes he did. Frank obviously was not happy AT ALL at the end of the last year saying that "I'm under contract, what can I do". He was disappointed in himself a little and fed up with the horrible play by almost everyone on offense last year. He came here to try and win a chamionship. I feel that this year with a hopefully improved offensive line he won't have to carry the offense on his back and will really play well this season! It will be exciting to see what he really has left if everyone else on offense decides to show up and play this year.

I'm expecting him to reach just over 1,000 yards and get around 10 TD's. He will be sharing the ball with some other backs probably but if he is healthy all year I think those numbers are possible from him.

I was really impressed with Frank Gore behind our shotty line as well. He made some crazy runs with absolutely zero room, all while keeping his head up and eyes down field. I'm looking forward to seeing him again this season behind our improved line.

I think Gore was one of our 'unsung heroes' last year -- he had a hell of year, considering how bad our OL played and how predictable our play calling was for a good chunk of the year.

I am just glad he didn't get injured or do anything to significantly set him back this year -- I, too, think he's going to rush for 1,000 yards, becoming the oldest player since 1990 to do so.

IF the O line has improved like we all hope it has, and boy had it better after taking 4 OL in the draft.... Then I think Gore tops the 100yd game marker about 3 times this season and will land at something like 1100 yards.

Notice the bold and underlined emphasis on the if......

1 hour ago, Ollonesomeme said:

I doubt that he has 1000 yard or 16 game seasons left in him. Time is running out and he is ancient for a running back.

He got close and did play 16 last year im pretty sure. 

You assume not even a full year later he has completely fallen off an athletic cliff?

On 6/27/2016 at 0:43 PM, pgt_rob said:

I was really impressed with Frank Gore behind our shotty line as well. He made some crazy runs with absolutely zero room, all while keeping his head up and eyes down field. I'm looking forward to seeing him again this season behind our improved line.

I totally agree. Gore had almost 1000 yards behind our o line that couldn't run block against some of the members of this forum. 

I think Gore can still handle 300 touches for another season, with maybe one or two games of 25+ touches. What's really needed, besides good line play, is for the backups to be capable when they play, to protect on passing downs, and to secure the football. That way Gore won't be pressured into too many touches and can stay fresh for the season.

3 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

You assume not even a full year later he has completely fallen off an athletic cliff?

In all fairness, that's usually how it happens. Production falls off greatly. Plus he's near 3000 carries, that's literally ancienti in RB terms.

Polian always said 2000 carries is the usual expiration date for a RB.

I feel Gore isn't needed in pre-season. Saving most of those those touches for the regular season will allow him to get through 16 games with a fair amount of carries needed by a workhorse like him, without overextending his capabilities at his advanced age.

He was supposedly on a pitch count last year, beginning it in pre-season and doubt much has changed. so saving gas in his tank in pre-season seems the prudent option. A seasoned vet like him wont need too many preseason reps to be in football shape, and allow him enough touches in a game to 'get loose' and break a few.open.

6 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I feel Gore isn't needed in pre-season. Saving most of those those touches for the regular season will allow him to get through 16 games with a fair amount of carries needed by a workhorse like him, without overextending his capabilities at his advanced age.

He was supposedly on a pitch count last year, beginning it in pre-season and doubt much has changed. so saving gas in his tank [re-season seem the prudent option. A seasoned vet like him wont need too many preseason reps to be in football shape.

He was on a pitch count, but when Luck went down and then Hassellbeck started to get sick / injured we started leaning on Gore more and more.... If Andrew stays healthy this season it'll work the other way around and we can give Gore more of a break until January time.

9 hours ago, Chucklez said:

He was on a pitch count, but when Luck went down and then Hassellbeck started to get sick / injured we started leaning on Gore more and more.... If Andrew stays healthy this season it'll work the other way around and we can give Gore more of a break until January time.

January time?

21 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

The fall is generally not gradual.  It happens quick.  

On 6/28/2016 at 2:40 PM, Ollonesomeme said:

I doubt that he has 1000 yard or 16 game seasons left in him. Time is running out and he is ancient for a running back.

Injuries weren't much of a problem for him last season and he was just shy of 1,000 yards with a terrible OL and his starting QB missing 9 games.  I don't see ANY reason he can't get to 1,000 yards with an improved OL and his QB playing a full season.  The only question is will that happen?

On June 29, 2016 at 0:36 PM, jskinnz said:

The fall is generally not gradual.  It happens quick.  

Yes, you're exactly right. It does jskinnz. I just think Gore is due to have a break out season. It's amazing he played as well as he did last yr. with less than stellar next level hole creation on our line. 

On 6/29/2016 at 4:19 AM, Chucklez said:

I understand. What I am referring to is no pre-season games for him, and in run rotation at the beginning of the year, increasing his workload as the season progresses.  Have him fresher and more of the workload at the end of the year against tired/nicked up opponents trying to stop our passing game. 

O line should be in synch by then too...

13 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I understand. What I am referring to is no pre-season games for him, and in run rotation at the beginning of the year, increasing his workload as the season progresses.  Have him fresher and more of the workload at the end of the year against tired/nicked up opponents trying to stop our passing game. 

O line should be in synch by then too...

That would be ideal,  but nothing ever goes according to plan in the nfl :)

5 hours ago, bananabucket said:

And all of Polian's little 'rules' are wrong. 

No, they are not. Polian was great and people need to learn these little bits of wisdom. There are always exceptions to every rule but these are good guidelines.

If Andrew plays all 16 games...

I think he can get about 1200 yards.......a little more than 75 a game for 15 games.

We are going to have the ball more...and we'll face more 5 and 6 back defensive sets

.....and, like everybody here has said...out O-line was somewhat 'challenged' in 2015

12 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

If Andrew plays all 16 games...

I think he can get about 1200 yards.......a little more than 75 a game for 15 games.

We are going to have the ball more...and we'll face more 5 and 6 back defensive sets

.....and, like everybody here has said...out O-line was somewhat 'challenged' in 2015

Depends entirely on how our defense holds up as well actually.... If games keep turning into shootouts, we'll have to throw the ball a lot more...

IMO, Frank should have gotten 1,000 yards last year.  Our O-line was good enough, but play calling leaned more toward the pass than the run.  

Frank should get 1,000. but again will depend on play calling.  We need a more balanced ratio in pass to run plays.

He had the 1000 yards,  our OL screwed him with all  the penalties. He wasn't disappointed in himself, I can almost guarantee that.  When you have an OL that can't block and takes 100 yards from you,  that's not your fault. 

3 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

He had the 1000 yards,  our OL screwed him with all  the penalties. He wasn't disappointed in himself, I can almost guarantee that.  When you have an OL that can't block and takes 100 yards from you,  that's not your fault. 

Gore said himself he was disappointed in an interview. I don't think you can guarantee any other wise. Do you think he was lying?

Gore is not your average RB when considering his age and touches.  Not only does he keep himself in shape, and is not used much for preseason games, He has never really relied on speed to get his yards.  He is one of those rare RB's that see's the field great, can slip in a needle hole, and power through arm tackles.  Yes his speed doesn't allow a lot of 20+ yard gains...but he gets a LOT of 9-12 yarders,,,,,,

He'll be fine next year.

2015: Gore almost eclipsed 1000 yards with: An O-Line that wasn't very good. Defenses stacking the box, daring Hasselbeck to throw. Pep was still the OC for half the season. 

2016: Upgraded O-line. Upgraded O-Line coach. Upgraded OC. Upgraded QB (since Luck is back). 

Gore's vision, toughness, and ability to fit through small (almost non-existent) holes is uncanny. Gore will run over 1,000 yards this season.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Gore said himself he was disappointed in an interview. I don't think you can guarantee any other wise. Do you think he was lying?

Did he say in himself?  It's a saving face statement obviously.

When the OL takes that much from you,  how can you blame yourself? 

1 hour ago, Narcosys said:

Did he say in himself?  It's a saving face statement obviously.

When the OL takes that much from you,  how can you blame yourself? 

You don't know that and yes he did say that about himself. Sorry,just because you have an opinion does not make it fact. Unless you know him personally you cant say what he feels about anything.

41 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You don't know that and yes he did say that about himself. Sorry,just because you have an opinion does not make it fact. Unless you know him personally you cant say what he feels about anything.

Ok man,  it's all frank gores fault

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

2015: Gore almost eclipsed 1000 yards with: An O-Line that wasn't very good. Defenses stacking the box, daring Hasselbeck to throw. Pep was still the OC for half the season. 

2016: Upgraded O-line. Upgraded O-Line coach. Upgraded OC. Upgraded QB (since Luck is back). 

Gore's vision, toughness, and ability to fit through small (almost non-existent) holes is uncanny. Gore will run over 1,000 yards this season.

I seriously doubt that. In my opinion, they were very lucky to get what they did last year. I do not think that he will come close to that again.

I really like Gore and think he will have a solid season this upcoming year. I do, however, remember some incredibly untimely fumbles by him last year that contributed mightily to the Colts losing. Jets and another game -- maybe Pats? For the most part he had a good year though despite the awful OL.

11 hours ago, gacker65 said:

IMO, Frank should have gotten 1,000 yards last year.  Our O-line was good enough, but play calling leaned more toward the pass than the run.  

Frank should get 1,000. but again will depend on play calling.  We need a more balanced ratio in pass to run plays.

Average pass/run ratio in the NFL these days is 60% to 40%.  a run first team would be in the 55%-45% ratio range.  Only 1 team rushed more than passed- The Bills at 50.1% run  49.9% pass. 

What you have to also realize, for many teams, the swing pass, bubble screen, or dump off to the flat to the RB , etc... is a run game (of sorts) in their offensive scheme.  Doesn't count in the Rush yards, nor the pass/run balance... but there it is... and is likely not changing soon.

On 6/28/2016 at 7:43 PM, IinD said:

In all fairness, that's usually how it happens. Production falls off greatly. Plus he's near 3000 carries, that's literally ancienti in RB terms.

Polian always said 2000 carries is the usual expiration date for a RB.

I agree... and don't forget, his goal line fumble cost us 1 (and maybe 2) games last year.