Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

deflate gate - controversy between grigs and pags?

ColtsFanMikeC

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2015-03-30/chuck-pagano-ryan-grigson-indianapolis-colts-deflategate-update-relationship-contract

I just read Atlanta loses a draft pick for pumping noise into their stadium and was wondering about how the deflate gate issue is unfolding, this is the first link I got when I googled it.

Anyone think this actually caused enough tension between Grigs and Pagano to the point where it may affect either of their contracts for next year or their ability to work together moving forward?

I have wondered if things soured between them due to this issue as Pagano distanced himself from it as soon as it came out. And has continued to deny that he knew anything about it.

I think the most telling paragraph is this:

As one source has explained it, the issue created a distraction in the locker room at halftime of a game that the Colts trailed 17-7.  With only 12 minutes to get ready for the final 30 minutes of action, anything other than a complete and total focus on the task at hand understandably would have irritated the head coach.

I had mentioned before that I thought the issue being brought up at halftime would be a distraction for the Colts as a team. I would not blame Pagano if he is indeed upset about it.

It would be a lot of speculation to try to connect all that. How hard would it have been to ask for the ball..no big deal. I'm sure everyone in the organization was aware that the Pats might have issues with the ball as this surfaced from earlier in the season. Pags got out coached and the Colts got out worked on the field...simple as that. If not for a terrible play by Brady it wouldn't even have been that close. If Pagano let it distract him or the team from their job than he needs to be replaced. I can't see how this was an issue. Pats were the better team on the field that night and it wouldn't have mattered what happened at halftime. We weren't capable of over coming Brady and that offense or do anything against Bill's defense. I understand why people are writing the articles because of the contract situations but there aren't any facts supporting this theory. Its a long reach.

The only thing I'm buying is the fact we haven't played well against the top teams. Next season is the tell all for management and the coaching staff. We have to get it done next season or I think there is going to be a change.

No. Just media peasantry being peasants. Ignore various other facts to grab a clickbait. I wouldn't believe it one bit. The only reliable sources anymore are the local guys. Everyone else spews craps out of both ends hoping it sticks to something.

Interesting stuff.

Pagano is a nice guy, but I can't help but look at Grigson and just think there is something off about that guy. I don't know him personally or anything but like I wouldn't trust him with my kids lol, he just has a look about him that I don't like

Interesting stuff.

Pagano is a nice guy, but I can't help but look at Grigson and just think there is something off about that guy. I don't know him personally or anything but like I wouldn't trust him with my kids lol, he just has a look about him that I don't like

That's pretty low rent. Maybe you should try to know something about the man before judging him so drastically.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/TOUGHNESS-PAYS-OFF-FOR-GRIGSON/15c81e0c-76af-42e1-9f88-46d5d3f49b27

http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/indianapolis-colts-gm-speaks-of-playoffs-parenting-and-padre-pio/

Interesting stuff.

And you trust belicheck?

Lol

Its just another attempt at deflection.  Chip away at the idea that the Pats are the problem and insert the idea that the Colts bringing up the issue was....and in this case how it may be causing internal turmoil.  "See.....they never should have raised the issue in the first place."

Nope.  Sorry, not falling for it reporters.  Keep it up and you'll keep looking like fools.

I personally think the reason why Pagano didn't accept the extension was due to his own belief that maybe he shouldn't be a head coach.

Hear me out: Pagano has always struck me as a guy who doesn't care about what's good for him. I feel inside he believes he was given an opportunity to be a head coach, however an opportunity does not a head coach make. I think he would rather step aside if he can't get it done than to see this team falter through years of him and his staff trying. I feel he cares more about the success of the team then his job.

So I bet he told Irsay no thanks unless I get us there and if I can't I will step aside and not waste your time.

I think media will look for answers like lame duck coach and something is wrong, other than seeing it for what it is. Mostly as not many people in the world in any profession would take the approach I believe Pagano has

Just my take

I personally think the reason why Pagano didn't accept the extension was due to his own belief that maybe he shouldn't be a head coach.

Hear me out: Pagano has always struck me as a guy who doesn't care about what's good for him. I feel inside he believes he was given an opportunity to be a head coach, however an opportunity does not a head coach make. I think he would rather step aside if he can't get it done than to see this team falter through years of him and his staff trying. I feel he cares more about the success of the team then his job.

So I bet he told Irsay no thanks unless I get us there and if I can't I will step aside and not waste your time.

I think media will look for answers like lame duck coach and something is wrong, other than seeing it for what it is. Mostly as not many people in the world in any profession would take the approach I believe Pagano has

Just my take

Their is less than a 0% chance this fairytale scenario is reality

Interesting stuff.

What the heck with this post?

BTW you two Pats fans in this thread are the ones believing this nonsense.  Stuff like this just validates other posters irritation with you

BTW you two Pats fans in this thread are the ones believing this nonsense.  Stuff like this just validates other posters irritation with you

Eh, I am not a big fan of ProFootball actually and this story wreaks of sensationalism but I don't think it is stretch to think that Pagano's and Grigson relationship could have been strained with Deflategate. I had mentioned when the whole thing broke how the two of them did not seem to be on the same page with it given Pagano's stance to basically deny he knew anything. Perhaps it was the proverbial straw only because expectations were so high heading into that conference title game so deflategate maybe just added to what was already a tough loss ...

Wow sensitive much?

I never said I believed or didn't believe what was posted, I just said it was interesting.  I'm not pushing this story or giving it credibility, I read it, said "thats interesting" and then made remark about how Grigson looks..

haha wow

Eh, I am not a big fan of ProFootball actually and this story wreaks of sensationalism but I don't think it is stretch to think that Pagano's and Grigson relationship could have been strained with Deflategate. I had mentioned when the whole thing broke how the two of them did not seem to be on the same page with it given Pagano's stance to basically deny he knew anything. Perhaps it was the proverbial straw only because expectations were so high heading into that conference title game so deflategate maybe just added to what was already a tough loss ...

It's definitely a stretch. How would DeflateGate have had any bearing on the relationship between Grigson and Pagano? Even the idea that turning a ball in to the officials was a "distraction" during halftime strains the bounds of credulity. How much more ridiculous is the idea that the two men would find it more difficult to work together because of an investigation that isn't even centered on their team?

Wow sensitive much?

I never said I believed or didn't believe what was posted, I just said it was interesting.  I'm not pushing this story or giving it credibility, I read it, said "thats interesting" and then made remark about how Grigson looks..

haha wow

Not to appear 'sensitive' again but you said

I don't know him personally or anything but like I wouldn't trust him with my kids lol, he just has a look about him that I don't like

I never said anything about him as a person, in fact i said I didnt know anything about him.. i just commented that he looks like a guy that isnt right and was more in jest....

Also, the 2 articles you posted about him do nothing as far as making him out to be some nice guy... he got a bad football injury and overcame it.. thats cool, hes obviously a tough guy at 6'6" 290 lbs.. but that doesn't really say anything about him as a human being other than that he overcame adversity and is a tough SOB..

Anyways, off to a different thread...   a lot of sensitive susans in this one.

It's definitely a stretch. How would DeflateGate have had any bearing on the relationship between Grigson and Pagano? Even the idea that turning a ball in to the officials was a "distraction" during halftime strains the bounds of credulity. How much more ridiculous is the idea that the two men would find it more difficult to work together because of an investigation that isn't even centered on their team?

I was talking about their relationship as a whole and what deflategate might be indicative of. IF Grigson did tip the officials off before the game as he said about the balls and did not tell Pagano then I could see how that could irritate Pagano given the magnitude of the investigation and questions regarding it. IF Grigson did in fact tell Pagano then that begs the question as to why Pagano is lying about it still. So, I do see it as a rift as the two have not been on the same page regarding it. How much effect it had one the game, who knows but it is possible that it could have distracted the team at half time and I can see how that would also irk Pagano.

I never said anything about him as a person, in fact i said I didnt know anything about him.. i just commented that he looks like a guy that isnt right and was more in jest....

Also, the 2 articles you posted about him do nothing as far as making him out to be some nice guy... he got a bad football injury and overcame it.. thats cool, hes obviously a tough guy at 6'6" 290 lbs.. but that doesn't really say anything about him as a human being other than that he overcame adversity and is a tough SOB..

Anyways, off to a different thread...   a lot of sensitive susans in this one.

You obviously didn't read the articles.

The man has 6 kids of his own. He's been married for well over a decade. Your comment that you couldn't trust him with your kids is actually pretty dark and demeaning. Don't try to act like it was harmless and innocent.

What happened is you said something dumb and got called out on it, and now you're trying to point the finger the other way.

You obviously didn't read the articles.

The man has 6 kids of his own. He's been married for well over a decade. Your comment that you couldn't trust him with your kids is actually pretty dark and demeaning. Don't try to act like it was harmless and innocent.

What happened is you said something dumb and got called out on it, and now you're trying to point the finger the other way.

Wow.. dark and demeaning..  an overreaction of the year award is in order..

Absolutely ridiculous

I was talking about their relationship as a whole and what deflategate might be indicative of. IF Grigson did tip the officials off before the game as he said about the balls and did not tell Pagano then I could see how that could irritate Pagano given the magnitude of the investigation and questions regarding it. IF Grigson did in fact tell Pagano then that begs the question as to why Pagano is lying about it still. So, I do see it as a rift as the two have not been on the same page regarding it. How much effect it had one the game, who knows but it is possible that it could have distracted the team at half time and I can see how that would also irk Pagano.

All that is, IMO, a stretch. To quote Kobe Bryant, "a Bikram yoga stretch."

It's possible that Grigson and Pagano aren't on the same page. Maybe even at odds at times. I doubt it, but it's possible. But tying that to DeflateGate is specious, at best. You called it sensationalism; I agree.

All that is, IMO, a stretch. To quote Kobe Bryant, "a Bikram yoga stretch."

It's possible that Grigson and Pagano aren't on the same page. Maybe even at odds at times. I doubt it, but it's possible. But tying that to DeflateGate is specious, at best. You called it sensationalism; I agree.

Yeah, to be honest this whole thing with Pagano not getting extended seems odd to me. I have been reading the other thread and Colts fans seem to not know why either. I mean the guy was just in the conf. title game and beat Denver in Denver. I get the whole Pats thing but I can't believe the guys job would be on the line because of one team. I do think this deflategate is reaching at straws a bit but may be the media really does not know either. At the end of that article it said the Colts could end up being like the niners were this year with their coach on watch. I have a tough time believing that.

Yeah, to be honest this whole thing with Pagano not getting extended seems odd to me. I have been reading the other thread and Colts fans seem to not know why either. I mean the guy was just in the conf. title game and beat Denver in Denver. I get the whole Pats thing but I can't believe the guys job would be on the line because of one team. I do think this deflategate is reaching at straws a bit but may be the media really does not know either. At the end of that article it said the Colts could end up being like the niners were this year with their coach on watch. I have a tough time believing that.

I don't believe it's that serious. They offered him a one year extension with a "modest increase"; he turned it down. It's as much about him betting on himself as it is them putting him on watch. I think Irsay and Grigson are happy with Pagano, even if they're reluctant to make him a top ten paid coach. 

I don't believe it's that serious. They offered him a one year extension with a "modest increase"; he turned it down. It's as much about him betting on himself as it is them putting him on watch. I think Irsay and Grigson are happy with Pagano, even if they're reluctant to make him a top ten paid coach. 

Oh, I didn't realize he turned down an offer. I don't blame him though as a one year extension is probably not what he was looking for.