Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Need a better Running Back?

ColtFan12

Don't get me wrong, I am impressed with how Brown has been at the running back position for the Colts, but I feel that they could do better. If the Colts had a better running back that would take some of the pressure off Luck and the Colts would be a balanced team and maybe even a better team. I feel the Colts should not wait until next year's draft to get a running back, I think that either they get one in a trade or find someone in free agency. Thoughts?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong, I am impressed with how Brown has been at the running back position for the Colts, but I feel that they could do better. If the Colts had a better running back that would take some of the pressure off Luck and the Colts would be a balanced team and maybe even a better team. I feel the Colts should not wait until next year's draft to get a running back, I think that either they get one in a trade or find someone in free agency. Thoughts?

If there's a running back available who can make his own holes and block multiple defenders before and while he's running, we should get him.

Otherwise, it's a fruitless pursuit.

Honestly I think Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, Emmett Smith, Walter Payton, Earl Campbell, Marshall Faulk, Edge in their prime would have trouble behind this line. Well maybe not Barry.....wait he's available right?

Props to Corgi.... First, one of my favorite dogs! Second, this is one of my favorite posts!

Pretty darn funny!! LOL!! :funny::spit::thmup:

I was not a big Donald Brown fan when he first started.... still not his BIGGEST fan but the boy has some wheels. The problem ( as mentioned above) is our line right now is horrible at blocking and making holes... Yes RB's should be able to produce some BUT that is very physical and taxing on the RB. It is not something they should be expected to do every single play. Yes push through get those extra few yards but cmon MAN... lol

The one thing I do not like is his hands. He can not seem to catch the ball. I think he is way to anxious thinking about how much yardage has opened up or how he is getting ready to be lit up. Either way not sure those things can be taught. We do have a lot of new talent with great hands, but yeah Brown.. he needs some glue on dem gloves ;)

I'll take whatever players we can get. But it doesn't matter until we fix the offensive line. And I think if we do that, we'll find that the Brown/Ballard combination is pretty doggone good, and pretty cost effective.

Can I add Mewelde Moore on 3rd down and a dose of Delone Carter? His arms resemble AP's and Trent Richardson.....I want 4 healthy RBs and an OL that comes together.

The OL needs to be healthy and have a chance to gel.....TEAM.... :colts: :colts: :colts:

Can I add Mewelde Moore on 3rd down and a dose of Delone Carter? His arms resemble AP's and Trent Richardson.....I want 4 healthy RBs and an OL that comes together.

The OL needs to be healthy and have a chance to gel.....TEAM.... :colts: :colts: :colts:

I don't care very much for Moore and Carter, but as a tandem, they'd be like the lesser version of Brown and Ballard. And they'd do just fine for us if we had a really good offensive line. What it really boils down to is that backs are a dime a dozen, but if you don't have good line play, the backs look awful.

I think when Satele returns and Mcglynn gets moved back to RG we should use him (Mcglynn) as the pulling Guard more often, that worked a time or two against the Bears and it has not worked at all when Olsen was used as the pulling Guard and did not work the 1 time we tried it with Essex (yes I know it was 1 time)

I'm disappointed in Delone. I had high hopes for that guy. Seems like the Ballard, Brown combo might be the answer, but I would like to see Carter get another chance this year. His fumbles last year were like bad dreams though..

I like Carter and I agree with Balzer and Superman above. I do want the Brown/Ballard combo to kick some 'bootie' but we need Carter and Moore healthy....Moore on passing downs...Carter for injury back-up...even special teams...

I too have been disappointed in Delone....:(

I think when Satele returns and Mcglynn gets moved back to RG we should use him (Mcglynn) as the pulling Guard more often, that worked a time or two against the Bears and it has not worked at all when Olsen was used as the pulling Guard and did not work the 1 time we tried it with Essex (yes I know it was 1 time)

Olsen is better on the right side. He is awful on the left...which makes his grade A for Awful.....I know we have slammed McGlynn, but to step in like he did and we win....all I can say is....Gritty effort...like him or not!

But...McGlynn is made of glass! If you pull him, he'll just shatter into more pieces upon impact. Sorry, couldn't resist, Gavin.

1) This topic is beyond stale and

2) The premise is pretty much flawed

Its both.

Its surprising how suddenly everyone is complaining about the OLIne...only now that it has become glaringly apparent.

Yes, lets draft 2-4 guys to our OL only to find out its ALSO our backs that are the problem. Addai and Brown were two of my favorite Colts and no one has been as big a DB fan as I was, but I have to say, the guy is horrible. He can't make a blocking assignment and he can't catch teh ball. And he shuffles around and waits for a hole ... you can't do that with our line. he runs with Zero confidence. I would rather see DC or Ballard right now with Brown sprinkled in for misdirection plays.

Sorry but other backs in the NFL make something out of nothing and yes, we could benefit from that right now.

However you want to solve it (Back before OL or vice versa), it needs to be solved. Our inability to run the ball will cost us 8-9 games this year.

But...McGlynn is made of glass! If you pull him, he'll just shatter into more pieces upon impact. Sorry, couldn't resist, Gavin.

Oh he still is that hasn't changed but the simple fact is the times Olsen has been used to pull block he hasn't gotten the job done and Mcglynn has, now backpedaling and holding there ground on the other hand they both stink

Its both.

Its surprising how suddenly everyone is complaining about the OLIne...only now that it has become glaringly apparent.

Yes, lets draft 2-4 guys to our OL only to find out its ALSO our backs that are the problem. Addai and Brown were two of my favorite Colts and no one has been as big a DB fan as I was, but I have to say, the guy is horrible. He can't make a blocking assignment and he can't catch teh ball. And he shuffles around and waits for a hole ... you can't do that with our line. he runs with Zero confidence. I would rather see DC or Ballard right now with Brown sprinkled in for misdirection plays.

Sorry but other backs in the NFL make something out of nothing and yes, we could benefit from that right now.

However you want to solve it (Back before OL or vice versa), it needs to be solved. Our inability to run the ball will cost us 8-9 games this year.

We've been complaining about the offensive line since 2008.

Oh he still is that hasn't changed but the simple fact is the times Olsen has been used to pull block he hasn't gotten the job done and Mcglynn has, now backpedaling and holding there ground on the other hand they both stink

Your analysis needed.... I don't tape games. Now that you have 2 games on McGlynn against quality starters, what has he done to demonstrate an inability to hold his ground? Limit analysis to time in a Colt's uniform.

Honestly I think Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, Emmett Smith, Walter Payton, Earl Campbell, Marshall Faulk, Edge in their prime would have trouble behind this line. Well maybe not Barry.....wait he's available right?

All GREAT GREAT backs, who is the ONE you would pick out of these for our back this season. NO not at there current age &^%$*(!

Walter is my fav of all-time, but I would get the biggest kick out of EARL pounding down the backs of Olson and Link, they would fear that more than Any man across from them. Earl was Awesome!

I beleive we have enough talent at RB, It"s the line thats the problem. It wouldn't matter who we have at running back behind this line. When the hole is there I have confidence in all of our backs (no there not great but, very capable) my biggest complaint about our backs would be pass blocking, this is a must with the O-line we have. I think more screen passes and draw plays will help boyh of these units. Screens and draws will help to slow down the rush and help with the running game, which in turn will help set up the play action and this will improve the offense all the way around. I know this is easier sad than done but, when the O-line is weak you have to rely on screens,draws and short drops to protect your quarterback and to give you a shot at play-action and deep drops. Here's to hoping we get these kinks worked out and some unity with the O-line and let our immensly talented Quarterback get comfortable with the offense and do what we all know he's capable of doing. "GO COLTS"

A lot is on the O-Line, but some of the blame has to go to the backs. We really don't have that "hit the hole hard" type of back with speed. Ballard is a tough runner, but is more suited to short yardage. Brown shows flashes, but seems to always go down way too easily, and looks tentative when hitting a hole. But then again, its hard to hit a hole with no blocking. I wish we could meld the two together..Brown's speed and Ballard's toughness.

As for the aforementioned players..Payton never had a line...but I think Jim Brown and my favorite back of all time Earl Campbell would have made their own holes..I would have loved to see Campbell run over Urlacher like he did Isiah Robertson, in what I call the greatest run I have ever seen..(Google that video please) I miss backs like that.

Your analysis needed.... I don't tape games. Now that you have 2 games on McGlynn against quality starters, what has he done to demonstrate an inability to hold his ground? Limit analysis to time in a Colt's uniform.

He gets to high in his blocks sometimes(in other words poor pad level sometimes when he is in a 2 point stance which leadsto D Linemen getting underneath him (such as Peppers did in the 1st quarter in the Bears game also backpedal on that play (well therewas none he was being driven back on that play and being lifted up off the ground).He also needs to finish his blocks. It appears to me he is a better pass blocker out of a 3 point stance then he is out of a two point stance, I like his lateral quickness and his ability to get to the 2nd level on blocks (something he did a great job of doing at the 5:25 mark of the second quarter, and like I said I think he is a better pull blocker then Olsen do to Mcglynn (seemingly to me but of course I am of course no coach or scout) having better lateral quickness. He shows good areness I think. He needs to work on his strength and footwork

Its both.

I'm not sure that's true. See this thread:

http://forums.colts....me-play-review/

If you look at my analysis of DB versus Adrian Peterson (the prototypical model of the workhorse running back), you'll see that Adrian Peterson does nearly as badly as DB when getting hit in the backfield. The difference, though, is that Donald Brown gets hit in the backfield nearly twice as much as A Peterson does (~38% vs ~20%). That's an offensive line issue.

yep go ahead get that running back so we can see that he cant run behind the crap we call an offensive line :slaphead:

A lot is on the O-Line, but some of the blame has to go to the backs. We really don't have that "hit the hole hard" type of back with speed. Ballard is a tough runner, but is more suited to short yardage. Brown shows flashes, but seems to always go down way too easily, and looks tentative when hitting a hole. But then again, its hard to hit a hole with no blocking. I wish we could meld the two together..Brown's speed and Ballard's toughness.

I agree fellas. Both the line and the backs must share equal blame here. Clearly, the line has not gelled yet. Perhaps the lineup needs to be reshuffled and rearranged. No new pieces needed just figure out which players play better on the left side and on the right side. Colt Fan 4 Life is exactly right about Brown. He doesn't have break away speed and he fails to hit the crease and run toward daylight repeatedly. I'm not saying cut him. I'm saying work with him to get some confidence and tenacity back. Ballard I love between the tackles. We need some serious speed, which Brown can't or won't provide at least for now anyway.

Good job Gavin & Colt 4 Life. Nice post guys!

I agree fellas. Both the line and the backs must share equal blame here. Clearly, the line has not gelled yet. Perhaps the lineup needs to be reshuffled and rearranged. No new pieces needed just figure out which players play better on the left side and on the right side. Colt Fan 4 Life is exactly right about Brown. He doesn't have break away speed and he fails to hit the crease and run toward daylight repeatedly. I'm not saying cut him. I'm saying work with him to get some confidence and tenacity back. Ballard I love between the tackles. We need some serious speed, which Brown can't or won't provide at least for now anyway.

Good job Gavin & Colt 4 Life. Nice post guys!

are you serious about Brown not having break away speed? O.o