Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If you could change one thing about the NFL...

21isSuperman

I would have created a rule in which, in the instance of injury during a game, a coach can suit up.

Wouldn't be useful at all, but it'd at least make the game somewhat more interesting. And prove to people that it was a bad decision to give me such power.

I'm guessing Jimmy would look lovely in the road whites.

That does take me back to high school... Running a double reverse and the opposing teams Head Coach is about 6 yards out on the field... Needless to say he didn't do it the next two years..

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought it would be nice to pair an AFC team up with an NFC team. Tampa/Miami, Houston/Dallas, Jets/Giants, it doesn't work that perfect in every region, but pair each of them up to have a true 60-80 man minor league team that play each other.

It wouldn't be perfect because both teams would want the best guys, but there could be some form of system that if both teams lose a WR, then there is some order of which one gets to select a guy from the minor league team.

Just an idea..

I agree i watched ESPN's 30 for 30 segment on the USFL and though of why couldn't this work they could play in the spring heck i'm sure there would be an audience for it. To bad that the owners and the NFLPA wouldn't agree on this while most of us are still living. I think if this was a concept why not extend the draft for an extra 3 or 4 rounds to accommodate something like this?

If I could change one thing, it would be the hypocrisy and the way money is paid out. A guy like Drew Brees will say he is out for all players, yet he seems to want to get the lions share of the teams salary cap. Sure, he is valuable. But his way of thinking will contribute to teams being made up of 8 guys who make all the money, then 45 guys who don't make much. The depth and overall quality in the NFL is down. Sure, the competition is better. But these teams are by no means great teams. And I don't think we will ever see another truly great overall team again until there is more middle class in the NFL.

I'm sure I would have changed any number of plays in that Super Bowl...even just one of them would likely changed the outcome. That Garcon drop was the start of the slide because we ended up backed up the rest of the half and still gave up points...then the onside...then the int.

Can I say I would have us win one more game last year??? lol...blasphamy I know. We end up with the second pick in the draft and trade it away similar to St. Louis. I'm sure even if St. Louis traded Bradford or their pick we would have likely passed on Griffen and traded him away as well...getting a similar kings ransom. Surround Peyton with talent and go back to war. Lots of different options there.

Also...could I go back and make spy gate never happen or get found out as soon as it did??? How much would that have changed our course of history with this team? Whew....a big can of worms that would open up.

If I could change one thing, it would be the hypocrisy and the way money is paid out. A guy like Drew Brees will say he is out for all players, yet he seems to want to get the lions share of the teams salary cap. Sure, he is valuable. But his way of thinking will contribute to teams being made up of 8 guys who make all the money, then 45 guys who don't make much. The depth and overall quality in the NFL is down. Sure, the competition is better. But these teams are by no means great teams. And I don't think we will ever see another truly great overall team again until there is more middle class in the NFL.

The issue there is the guy also sets a precedence for future free agent QBs. If Brees signs a super cap friendly deal (let's just say something like 6 years, $50 mil, $30 mil guaranteed), other QBs in the future will have to live up to that. Andrew Luck will play out his rookie contract (after winning a Super Bowl every year!!) and then say he wants something in the area of 7 years, $85+ mil, which is more in the neighbourhood of QB contracts. However, the GM can make the argument that Luck has not put up the statistics Brees has put up (such as his completion percentage record or his single season passing yards record) and therefore does not deserve to be paid that much. This could even be said for other positions. Say AJ Green's rookie contract ends and he wants a deal in the area of 8 years, $80+ mil. The GM could say that a franchise QB (who has broken multiple records) is more valuable than a WR, so he does not deserve to be paid as much as Brees. So because Brees took a cap friendly deal to help his team out, he really ends up putting all future NFL free agents in a bind. One could make the case that salaries should not be this high to begin with, but that's another argument. For this reason, the player must find the right place between making sure he doesn't put his team in a bind, but also making sure he doesn't put future NFL free agents in a bind.

#3 Tarik Glenn doesn't retire for another 3 years.

#2 Edge attends our full camp, gets use to carrying the ball and thusly doesn't fumble 3 times in the redzone in our early season game with the Patriots. They play US at home in the playoffs.

#1 Peyton Manning does not get bent like a pretzel against the Redskins.

i would get rid of this "defender made me jump" crap..defensive lineman can jump all they want as long as they get back before the ball is snap or if they are uninveided to the quarterback. this offensive lineman jumping because a defensive player moved has to stop. the jumping and pointing at the same time is the most irritating thing ever. ugh just bring 90's early 2000's football back.

Tell an NFC team like the Packers about Tom Brady, where he gets drafted in the 5th round and sits behind Brett Favre for the rest of time.... Patriots dynasty never happens, Colts probably have a few more rings. Everyone's happy :)

Or tell Polian to draft Greg Jennings in 2006 instead of Addai and draft LeSean McCoy instead of Donald Brown in 2009. We would be in pretty good shape if that happened lol.

Rob Gronkowksi instead of Jerry Hughes would also be an improvement to say the least!

The issue there is the guy also sets a precedence for future free agent QBs. If Brees signs a super cap friendly deal (let's just say something like 6 years, $50 mil, $30 mil guaranteed), other QBs in the future will have to live up to that. Andrew Luck will play out his rookie contract (after winning a Super Bowl every year!!) and then say he wants something in the area of 7 years, $85+ mil, which is more in the neighbourhood of QB contracts. However, the GM can make the argument that Luck has not put up the statistics Brees has put up (such as his completion percentage record or his single season passing yards record) and therefore does not deserve to be paid that much. This could even be said for other positions. Say AJ Green's rookie contract ends and he wants a deal in the area of 8 years, $80+ mil. The GM could say that a franchise QB (who has broken multiple records) is more valuable than a WR, so he does not deserve to be paid as much as Brees. So because Brees took a cap friendly deal to help his team out, he really ends up putting all future NFL free agents in a bind. One could make the case that salaries should not be this high to begin with, but that's another argument. For this reason, the player must find the right place between making sure he doesn't put his team in a bind, but also making sure he doesn't put future NFL free agents in a bind.

Thanks for the thoughts on this. I understand why they do it. I just find it odd they are saying they are in it for ALL players, but who they are really helping is themselves and any elite future players.

Or tell Polian to draft Greg Jennings in 2006 instead of Addai and draft LeSean McCoy instead of Donald Brown in 2009. We would be in pretty good shape if that happened lol.

Rob Gronkowksi instead of Jerry Hughes would also be an improvement to say the least!

I wasn't even going to go into draft picks....man there are any number of draft picks we could have changed that would have changed A TON. I think Polian did a decent job up until the last couple years when I think Chris took over but man its too easy to go back and see all the guys we missed.

I would like to see the overtime changed to the way college football is.

I like the new OT rules and I like the college ones too but would change them just a bit. I believe that both teams get the ball on opponents 40 but the twist is they can't kick a field goal. So even if you stop the other team you can't win it with a field goal. Then after 2 possessions each team has to go for 2. No field goals!! lol That would have helped us against San Diego in 2008.....that game and the punts and the OT with no chance to win...sucked.

Here is one source saying he gave it back:

http://www.nytimes.c...c=mv&ref=sports

I assume the NY Times is reputable? I've never read it...

;)

I'm not 100% certain he actually returned it or not.

Giving up the Heisman IS a big deal. You may remember he won it now; but in thirty years, after he has retired, do you think anyone will remember the circumstances? He gave up a LEGACY. Winning the Heisman is a VERY big deal, and losing one is more so...

In most cases I would say yes. That was dated 9/2010.

http://chicago.cbslo...e-bushs-family/

As of July 2011, the San Diego Museum had just returned it to the Bush Family.

http://content.usato.../1#.UCLYC01lTWo

Which brings me back to why I said I wasn't 100% certain it was actually returned.

Great story! I had never heard that! Really makes me wonder what's going on...

The Heisman Trophy website does not have a winner listed for 2005.

http://www.heisman.c...rs#winners-year

Looks like he has finally given it back.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/15/reggie-finally-gives-up-his-heisman/

I know this wouldn't be good for us as Colts fans, but I would have Manning go to SF rather than Denver. We all know how good their defense is, and here are the weapons that Mannig would have on offense:

1. Vernon Davis

2. Michael Crabree

3. Mario Manningham

4. a rejuvinated Randy Moss (reports from camp are very positive).

5. Frank Gore

6. Delanie Walker

7. Kendall Hunter

8. Lamichael James

9. A.J. Jenkins?

10. A very, very good O-line

I would take Barry Sanders from the Lions and switch him with Emmit Smith on the Cowboys. I would love to see what Barry would have done on a winning team, where he wasn't the main guy that every team focused on.

A great point Flash! If Sanders hadn't retired early in his NFL career, there is no way Emmit Smith would have caught, let alone surpassed his rushing record. Barry Sanders was the best RB the NFL has ever seen IMO.

http://youtu.be/PmSi8xjb_gc

If you could change one thing about the NFL, past or present, what would you do? Personally, I would go back and have the Colts hire Belichick as the head coach. I would love to have seen what Belichick and Peyton could do together. What would you change?

I would make it a rule that each team has to let one fan play an entire series at a position they choose during each home game.

I would not change anything or what's going on right now wouldn't be happening, changing the past upsets the future, go ask Marty McFly ;}

Didn't Marty go from being a dweeb who was picked on his whole life, married to an alcoholic, overweight wife and could barely afford to buy his son a skateboard; to be a wealthy SF author married to (the same woman) but no longer overweight, nor alcoholic wife, and able to buy his son the truck of his dreams?

I don't think that is the best example.

Didn't Marty go from being a dweeb who was picked on his whole life, married to an alcoholic, overweight wife and could barely afford to buy his son a skateboard; to be a wealthy SF author married to (the same woman) but no longer overweight, nor alcoholic wife, and able to buy his son the truck of his dreams?

I don't think that is the best example.

Great 80's movie though in my opinion, 1985 I believe

Great movie and overall a good franchise.

For some of you younger folk, some of the best movies of all times were made in the 80s.

Agreed, I love the 80's horror movies (NightMare On Elm Street is a classic horror movie. Didnt like the newest version nearly as much but it was ok. Nobody will ever be as good as Robert Englund as Freddy) but for my money 1978's Halloween is the best. I was just 7-8 in the late 80's but great movies were made then for sure. Another one was the The Breakfast Club and Lucas and who can forget The original Karate Kid which I have all three Karate Kids :thmup: .

Great 80's movie though in my opinion, 1985 I believe

Agreed, I love the 80's horror movies (NightMare On Elm Street is a classic horror movie. Didnt like the newest version nearly as much but it was ok. Nobody will ever be as good as Robert Englund as Freddy) but for my money 1978's Halloween is the best. I was just 7-8 in the late 80's but great movies were made then for sure. Another one was the The Breakfast Club and Lucas and who can forget The original Karate Kid which I have all three Karate Kids :thmup: .

Christopher Lloyd AKA Doc was my favorite character in "Back To The Future." "They're your parents. You must know them. What are their common interests? What do they like to do together? Nothing." [Enchantment Under The Sea 1950’s dance reference.] haha:lol: :lol:

Mr. Miagi from the "Karate Kid." "Wax on. Wax off Danielson."

"The Breakfast Club" an 80's time capsule movie classic. "You mess with the bull. You get the horns. And You I will not be made a fool of Mr. Bender." :thmup:

I would not change anything or what's going on right now wouldn't be happening, changing the past upsets the future, go ask Marty McFly ;}

I was referring to the BTTF Part II when Biff got the sport almanac and changed the future to the bad, When I thought about sports and changing the past and of course the future, I thought of BTTF Part II...

Yes, I get your point Coltscodeblue. BTTF Part II & Part III were not as good as the first film was IMO. Doc to Marty: "Show me that photographic picture again."

"It's like my sister's been erased."

"Erased from existence."

Everything happens for a reason and what doesn't kill you makes [our Colts team] stronger.

If you could change one thing about the NFL, past or present, what would you do? Personally, I would go back and have the Colts hire Belichick as the head coach. I would love to have seen what Belichick and Peyton could do together. What would you change?

The NFL was built on the physical / strategic game... Like Chess.

Let them play... they know the physical ramifications. Make em sign a waiver "like I did in HS" saying ..... is not responsible if your little baby gets hurt bad.

It's that easy.

But Godell is trying so hard to be "politically correct" that it is simply killing the fundamental nature of the game.

It is all about blocking and TACKLING. Big guys cannot control their inertia in a split second or less. But the NFL says they can. And ANYONE who has played ANY level of tackle football knows this.

Sigh.... In ten years we will be cheering for flag football teams. I honestly think it is going that way unless helmet technology really steps up.

Yes, I get your point Coltscodeblue. BTTF Part II & Part III were not as good as the first film was IMO. Doc to Marty: "Show me that photographic picture again."

"It's like my sister's been erased."

"Erased from existence."

Everything happens for a reason and what doesn't kill you makes [our Colts team] stronger.

Unpopular, but I have never watched any of these from beginning to end. Pure drivel. Possibly the worst mainstream movie franchise ever, along with the Karate Kid.

Unpopular, but I have never watched any of these from beginning to end. Pure drivel. Possibly the worst mainstream movie franchise ever, along with the Karate Kid.

Not every movie made is Oscar caliber material, I will admit braveheartcolt, but sometimes the brain needs non sophisticated material to unwind to in today's chaotic world. Potato...Patoto...Tomato...Tamato.

Drivel or a masterpiece...It's all abstract, non tangible, or anything but definitive relatively speaking I suppose.