Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If you could change one thing about the NFL...

21isSuperman

To be honest, if I'm changing one play from that game, it's Garcon's drop. The biggest play of the game, if you ask me. Without it, I don't think the onside kick ever happens, and I think the Colts control the rest of the game.

Bethea's almost-INT was big too. If I remember right, we were up 10-0 at that point. If Bethea picks off the ball and we score, that's 17-0. I don't think the Saints would have been able to come back from 17-0, especially with our running game going strong to milk the clock.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, if I'm changing one play from that game, it's Garcon's drop. The biggest play of the game, if you ask me. Without it, I don't think the onside kick ever happens, and I think the Colts control the rest of the game.

I actually forgot about the Garcon drop Superman. You are probably right. However, Saints HC Sean Payton had said that he wanted to take away at least 1 offensive possession from INDY because the defense couldn't stop Peyton Manning and Dallas Clark from scoring almost at will.

Even if Garcon had caught that ball, Sean Payton planned to pull a surprise onside kick anyway. The ploy was inevitable. At some point, Payton was gonna pull that rabbit out of his bag of unexpected tricks IMO. The Baskett drop sealed INDY's loss darn near for good in my estimation because it completely disrupted Manning's flow and rhythm.

I actually forgot about the Garcon drop Superman. You are probably right. However, Saints HC Sean Payton had said that he wanted to take away at least 1 offensive possession from INDY because the defense couldn't stop Peyton Manning and Dallas Clark from scoring almost at will.

Even if Garcon had caught that ball, Sean Payton planned to pull a surprise onside kick anyway. The ploy was inevitable. At some point, Payton was gonna pull that rabbit out of his bag of unexpected tricks IMO. The Baskett drop sealed INDY's loss darn near for good in my estimation because it completely disrupted Manning's flow and rhythm.

Dallas didnt have a touchdown score in that game he did have 7 catches though, Manning himself had one touchdown pass, in the 1st quarter

Dallas didnt have a touchdown score in that game he did have 7 catches though, Manning himself had one touchdown pass, in the 1st quarter

TE Dallas Clark was a chain mover Gavin. He kept offensive drives alive in the SB. That's what was ticking Sean Payton off.

I would make Sean Payton not call for an onside kick on February 7th, 2010.

Or Hank Baskett not letting it bounce off his helmet, or the refs taking almost 2 minutes to unpile the players (usually takes a LOT less time)...you can hear "blue ball" several times at the beginning of the pileup. I will go to my grave convinced it was taken from a Colt in the ridiculous amount of time the pile lasted...changed the whole game

lmao did you watch his interview on 60 Minutes? That's what really changed my mind about him

No, I sure didn't.

I'll buy he regrets he got caught, but I don't see him as that much of a changed man. He still has the attitude and the cockyness, and if they would have never been busted he'd still be doing the same things.

I also think that birthday party blow-up/shooting got swept up real nicely.

I'm just waiting for his next mistake.

Maybe so, but if Garcon doesn't drop that pass, we could have made it 17-3, taken more time off the clock in the 2nd quarter, etc. If the score is 17-3, I don't think the Saints kick onside to start the second half. It was reckless enough, down by 4; I don't think it happens with a two score lead.

Back on topic, I hate the glut of Thursday night games they are going to do this year. It's unfair to teams (coming off a Sunday, short week, injuries) especially later in the season, and it takes away from the Sunday fun. I don't have time to stay up late for the Thursday night games, and not everyone gets the NFL Network. We already have college football all week now, and the NFL is joining in. I was ok with a few late season ones, but they are doing one EVERY week!!

This thread upsets me in regard to SB44......so many what-if's. That game was ours, but poor coaching, a beat up Freeney, and a couple bad breaks lost it.

I'm probably one of few that doesn't think Freeney's injury had that much of an impact. The Saints made it a point to not allow our pass rush to get to Brees, and our defensive scheme played right into their hands. Even with the bad breaks, I think if our defense hadn't played dead from the second quarter on, we would have won that game.

Back on topic, I hate the glut of Thursday night games they are going to do this year. It's unfair to teams (coming off a Sunday, short week, injuries) especially later in the season, and it takes away from the Sunday fun. I don't have time to stay up late for the Thursday night games, and not everyone gets the NFL Network. We already have college football all week now, and the NFL is joining in. I was ok with a few late season ones, but they are doing one EVERY week!!

I'm on the west coast, so I love it. Don't have to stay up late, and it kicks the football week off early. Plus, any unfairness to teams having a short week is made up for with ten days off the following week.

I would also tell all the players either play hard all 4 quarters or I will permanently remove the ProBowl. If it does remain intact, move the game like it used to be after the SB so the current Champs can be properly congratulated by their NFL peers about their VLT victory.

I'm probably one of few that doesn't think Freeney's injury had that much of an impact. The Saints made it a point to not allow our pass rush to get to Brees, and our defensive scheme played right into their hands. Even with the bad breaks, I think if our defense hadn't played dead from the second quarter on, we would have won that game.

Brees didnt throw for a ton of yards in that game (285) and only 2 touchdowns thats not much for that offense and we didn't give up alot of rushing yards, We had a chance to tie at the end and threw a pick 6 and then Wayne dropped a pass in the end zone when we could have pulled within one score

if in Indy, they show the NFL games on 23 sometimes....if they still do I am not positive. I am with you.....I do not stay up late 'too' often. Hang in there.

I'm on the west coast, so I love it. Don't have to stay up late, and it kicks the football week off early. Plus, any unfairness to teams having a short week is made up for with ten days off the following week.

When I trained in Cali and Portland I loved hitting the hotel to a good football game or the NBA in the East already on.....tough when late here though for the working man that gets up at 4 AM to go to work....DVRs...are nice, but you get to work and..."Did you see Collie's diving catch to win the game." Hard to handle without earplugs Sup! :)

TE Dallas Clark was a chain mover Gavin. He kept offensive drives alive in the SB. That's what was ticking Sean Payton off.

Also a main reason Payton found Jimmy Graham......I loved Dallas....gonna love Allen and Fleener too....what we have read Dominique Jones has dazzled at times...and Andre Smith can block....TE's to me are the best weapon in football.

One last point: It really irritates me that the NFL Commissioner claims he really cares about player safety regarding concussions and helmet design and then he requires former players to obtain legal representation after being denied several times to get the medical and psychological care former NFL greats earned and deserve.

Eliminate all red tape and care for our wounded professional players without bureaucratic nonsense. This really enrages me personally Roger Goodell.

Brees didnt throw for a ton of yards in that game (285) and only 2 touchdowns thats not much for that offense and we didn't give up alot of rushing yards, We had a chance to tie at the end and threw a pick 6 and then Wayne dropped a pass in the end zone when we could have pulled within one score

He was 32-39, with over 7 yards per attempt. They destroyed the clock starting in the second quarter, keeping our offense on the sidelines. Our defense put no pressure on the receivers, giving them a clean release down after down, and Brees had a field day (if that sounds familiar, it's because it pretty well describes our defensive philosophy for all of 2011; this is NOT what we did against the Ravens or the Jets). Perhaps his gross numbers don't jump off the page at you, but his performance was flawless for two and a half quarters, and aside from one or two plays, our pass rush didn't get near him.

Back to Topic: I'd really like for some farm system to be integrated into the league. The D-league of the NBA and the Euro league are good examples.

I'm for a 6 - 8 team D-league system that can help develop players...its needed since kids are leaving school earlier and earlier and it with college football today it seems kids are getting less and less of the fundamentals. I'm for moving the 53 man roster to 60 for each team to accommodate this...and that way they can really give players that just need some experience at the position a much needed look.

No, I sure didn't.

I'll buy he regrets he got caught, but I don't see him as that much of a changed man. He still has the attitude and the cockyness, and if they would have never been busted he'd still be doing the same things.

I also think that birthday party blow-up/shooting got swept up real nicely.

I'm just waiting for his next mistake.

I don't think he has the attitude that dogfighting is acceptable. And I think his cockiness stems from playing in the NFL and playing well. I think knowing what he knows now, he wouldn't go back to dogfighting if given the opportunity. As for this birthday shooting, I do remember the incident, but I don't think anything came from it, so I don't think it was a major deal. It wasn't anything like Plax.

I would reverse the death of James Dungy.

The young man stays alive and the Dungy family never gets effected by this terrible tragedy.

The team in 2005 then rolls into the playoffs and soundly beats Pittsburgh with no issues of bad calls or missed FGs.

The Colts roll over Denver in the AFC title game then win a hard fought SB title vs. the Seahawks with no ref controversy in the Super Bowl.

Then a year later they repeat in the rain vs. Chicago and celebrate back to back SB wins!!!!

And in 2007 Freeney never gets hurt, Tarik never retires, Marvin never gets hurt and a talk of a 3 peat happens and a showdown vs. the Pats in the playoffs to get the coveted Manning Bowl in Arizona.

Also a main reason Payton found Jimmy Graham......I loved Dallas....gonna love Allen and Fleener too....what we have read Dominique Jones has dazzled at times...and Andre Smith can block....TE's to me are the best weapon in football.

I still remember reading your fantastic blog on Colts Direct about the growth of the Monster TE before the NE Patriots Gronk took the NFL by storm Brent. A great piece my friend. And shortly after Gronk, the NFL got the Graham Canyon too. haha HOF Broncos TE Shannon Sharpe was ahead of his time too as was Mike Ditka. TE's are the new weapon in the league you are absolutely right!!!

I just wish more publicity and emphasis was given to the significance of Special Teams too, which makes or breaks nearly every game and if you play it well your team typically wins. :thmup: Sadly, not enough people value Special Teams let alone understand how crucial it really is.

I don't think he has the attitude that dogfighting is acceptable. And I think his cockiness stems from playing in the NFL and playing well. I think knowing what he knows now, he wouldn't go back to dogfighting if given the opportunity. As for this birthday shooting, I do remember the incident, but I don't think anything came from it, so I don't think it was a major deal. It wasn't anything like Plax.

I didn't meant for it to sound like he had the attitude that it was acceptable, just this same attitude he always had about things.

I don't think he'd go back to dogfighting either.. He'd dumb, but he isn't that stupid, but who knows. The birthday shooting... Hanging around other felons and stuff... it just seems like that was cleaned up way to pretty and quickly.

Some deserve the benefit of doubt. He is not one of them.

I still remember reading your fantastic blog on Colts Direct about the growth of the Monster TE before the NE Patriots Gronk took the NFL by storm Brent. A great piece my friend. And shortly after Gronk, the NFL got the Graham Canyon too. haha HOF Broncos TE Shannon Sharpe was ahead of his time too as was Mike Ditka. TE's are the new weapon in the league you are absolutely right!!!

I just wish more publicity and emphasis was given to the significance of Special Teams too, which makes or breaks nearly every game and if you play it well your team typically wins. :thmup: Sadly, not enough people value Special Teams let alone understand how crucial it really is.

Shoot. I forgot to add this to my original post. Create a NFL HOF Special Teams category in the hallowed halls of Canton. Leave the slot open every calendar year for a deserving candidate. No there is no mandate to fill this spot every year, but the creation of this category would compel more people to appreciate and follow special teams more closely IMO.

I would have created a rule in which, in the instance of injury during a game, a coach can suit up.

Wouldn't be useful at all, but it'd at least make the game somewhat more interesting. And prove to people that it was a bad decision to give me such power.

We have seen more comments about Special Teams by Pagano....than we have seen in 15 years....There are 3 phases of the game my brother!!! Lutrus may make the team just for RUNNING over Kyle Miller...CUT....and no I am not the director of the production! :) Insert CP....OK not basketball...Chuck Pagano! :)

Back to Topic: I'd really like for some farm system to be integrated into the league. The D-league of the NBA and the Euro league are good examples.

I'm for a 6 - 8 team D-league system that can help develop players...its needed since kids are leaving school earlier and earlier and it with college football today it seems kids are getting less and less of the fundamentals. I'm for moving the 53 man roster to 60 for each team to accommodate this...and that way they can really give players that just need some experience at the position a much needed look.

I always thought it would be nice to pair an AFC team up with an NFC team. Tampa/Miami, Houston/Dallas, Jets/Giants, it doesn't work that perfect in every region, but pair each of them up to have a true 60-80 man minor league team that play each other.

It wouldn't be perfect because both teams would want the best guys, but there could be some form of system that if both teams lose a WR, then there is some order of which one gets to select a guy from the minor league team.

Just an idea..

I always thought it would be nice to pair an AFC team up with an NFC team. Tampa/Miami, Houston/Dallas, Jets/Giants, it doesn't work that perfect in every region, but pair each of them up to have a true 60-80 man minor league team that play each other.

It wouldn't be perfect because both teams would want the best guys, but there could be some form of system that if both teams lose a WR, then there is some order of which one gets to select a guy from the minor league team.

Just an idea..

Yeah, but a team grouping runs different defensive schemes, and that kinda spoils the pot.

I would have created a rule in which, in the instance of injury during a game, a coach can suit up.

Wouldn't be useful at all, but it'd at least make the game somewhat more interesting. And prove to people that it was a bad decision to give me such power.

Hmm, may have avoided the Saints scandal.

Yeah, but a team grouping runs different defensive schemes, and that kinda spoils the pot.

That is true, but maybe you make it mandatory that these minor league teams run a hybrid 3-4/4-3... Keep everything uniform. It's got too many obstacles to work but it would have some benefits as well.

That is true, but maybe you make it mandatory that these minor league teams run a hybrid 3-4/4-3... Keep everything uniform. It's got too many obstacles to work but it would have some benefits as well.

Yeah, I'm kinda intrigued by the general idea. Just a lot of hurdles to overcome on the face of it.