Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donovan Mcnabb Potential backup?

asucolt606

All the reports out there say the guy is back to his prime fitness. He is a man with a mission and with something to prove. Why not bring him in as a backup and someone to mentor Luck as he experiences the trials and struggles of being an NFL star. Plus I think having a solid backup with his experience is worth it in it's own right.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Potential back-up? At worst. I believe the guy could start for us. He got a bum deal in WAS and MIN, in Philly he really showed what he is capable of. I say offer him a cheap 1-year deal and have him start while Andrew absorbs the info from his first year in the league like a sponge. You don't want to throw him to the wolves and have him end up like David Carr. If he passes the physical I say bring him in.

Not sure why. Do we have back up QB issues? How can they be issues when we haven't even played yet? Since we have lost two players to season ending injuries, and it wasn't QB's, my guess is we save our $ (cap) for help where we are immediately affected.

Potential back-up? At worst. I believe the guy could start for us. He got a bum deal in WAS and MIN, in Philly he really showed what he is capable of. I say offer him a cheap 1-year deal and have him start while Andrew absorbs the info from his first year in the league like a sponge. You don't want to throw him to the wolves and have him end up like David Carr. If he passes the physical I say bring him in.

Hahahah!! I haven't laughed that hard since I was a little girl, thank you!

Dear God...

How...

But...

It...

:facepalm:

One of these days, someone is going to stumble onto this thread in Google search results and when they do, I'd really rather not be remembered as a participant of this thread based on this post alone.

So to go officially on the record, I was never here... :bag:

Hahahah!! I haven't laughed that hard since I was a little girl, thank you!

You guys laugh at me now but what do you think Texan's fans were saying after they drafted their Glory Boy David Carr? That he is going to suck? Definitely not. Of course we all believe and want Luck to be great from day one, but history says 1st year QBs that start take a beating. Alex Smith, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Russell, Couch....need I go on?

The smart thing to do is get a crafty mentor who Andrew can sit behind, watch, and learn. Donovan McNabb is ABSOLUTELY that guy. His numbers speak for themselves. He did WONDERS for Christian Ponder last year.

Honestly we'd be foolish not to bring him in and let him compete.

All the reports out there say the guy is back to his prime fitness. He is a man with a mission and with something to prove. Why not bring him in as a backup and someone to mentor Luck as he experiences the trials and struggles of being an NFL star. Plus I think having a solid backup with his experience is worth it in it's own right.

Pretty sure he was WASHED UP a couple YEARS Ago. What next Haynesworth? :lol:

I'll beat it, how about we work out some trade for Vince Young and let him mentor Luck????

Think about it, Vince Young is elite, not really but the guy has a good arm. He could teach luck how to throw the ball and do other things like throw the ball!!!!

The best scenario for the Colts would be to bring in D. Mc, then Vince Young. D. Mc will retire next year then we can have Vince Young mentor Luck for a year then BAM SB champs!!!!

I kid, I kid but I do like Donovan but it'd definitely IMO not be the best idea to bring him in, not like we would. Chandler Harnish is elite, so is Drewskimochacho.

You guys laugh at me now but what do you think Texan's fans were saying after they drafted their Glory Boy David Carr? That he is going to suck? Definitely not. Of course we all believe and want Luck to be great from day one, but history says 1st year QBs that start take a beating. Alex Smith, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Russell, Couch....need I go on?

The smart thing to do is get a crafty mentor who Andrew can sit behind, watch, and learn. Donovan McNabb is ABSOLUTELY that guy. His numbers speak for themselves. He did WONDERS for Christian Ponder last year.

what did he do for christian ponder? are u just basing this on the fact the ponder got a little better from the start of the year to the end and McNabb was his back up? You really think Andrew Luck would learn more this year by sitting the bench behind dnabb than if he was to play?

You have left me with so many questions.....there is no way you could be serious....you have to be kidding.....

:troll:

Whew......I thought your original post was serious. Now that you posted this, I know your posts have been complete sarcasm. Had me worried there.

We be foolish!

(good, funny post though. Way to fire people up)

You are kidding right?

Have Luck sit....hahaha. If you were gonna have Luck sit and absorb from anybody #18 wouldn't have left town. Thanks for this laugh, it'll be the best one I get all day.

You are kidding right?

Have Luck sit....hahaha. If you were gonna have Luck sit and absorb from anybody #18 wouldn't have left town. Thanks for this laugh, it'll be the best one I get all day.

ITA on all counts. :thmup: That would be the last player I would want him to learn from. Maybe the other way around Andrew could mentor McNabb lmao

what did he do for christian ponder? are u just basing this on the fact the ponder got a little better from the start of the year to the end and McNabb was his back up? You really think Andrew Luck would learn more this year by sitting the bench behind dnabb than if he was to play?

You have left me with so many questions.....there is no way you could be serious....you have to be kidding.....

:troll:

I was considering not even responding to one of the most absurd posts I have read since the proposed trade of Freeney and Mathis for Tom Brady! I am flabbergasted if these 'fans' are really serious.:)

Kyle...good point!! What did Ponder do for McNabb? He beat him out as the QB of the Minnesota Vikings. The Vikings then did McNabb a 'favor' so he could sign with a 'contender.' In the words of Dr. Phil..."UH UH.....How's that working for ya?" :)

In a year that saw Ponder, Locker, Dalton, Gabbert, Newton and Yates get starts (feel free to add) how in the world doe anyone think Luck needs a mentor other than the same coach that started the great run of Peyton Manning. We are also fine with Stanton as backup and Harnish to learn as the 3rd.

The foolishness of these incredibly nonsensical posts will hopefully end when the season begins and we can talk football....not hypothetical s and the 2013 draft. I need another cup of coffee....this post was a bad way to start the day. :wall:

No.

If we wanted a qb for luck to sit behind for a year we would have found away to keep Peyton for a year.

Luck has enough pressure on himself without having to invite a potential qb controversy because if luck struggles at all (which he will at some point all rookies do) fans will start calling for them to try McCabb. That will not help things for Luck.

I believe we will stick with the three guys we have.

While I am on board with bringing in a veteran QB that can help Luck during games on the sideline, in the film room and other off-the-field activities, A quarterback with the ego of Donovan Mcnabb does not fit that mold. He was run out of Washington because he didn't learn the offense, an offense he should have had a half-way decent grasp of to start with since it was another hybrid form of the same offense he ran for a decade in Philly. I do not see Mcnabb as a good teacher or resource for a young QB as evidenced by his time in Minnesota.

To be brutally honest Mcnabb's greatest asset to this team right now would be if he were forced to play and at this point while I would say he would be better than Stanton in that particular case, it is not worth the effort at this point. If Luck were to go down with an ACL and lost for the season then it might be something I would revisit because Mcnabb is the type of guy that if he isn't QB1, he's going to be an unhappy problem.

You are kidding right?

You guys continue to lambast me, and in doing so are turning a blind eye to reality. Consider these thoughts:

1) Peyton and Andrew won't, couldn't, wouldn't, be on the same roster. Too much controversy. Too much cap space. So he couldn't have sat behind him.

2) Besides Peyton, who is in his own league really, name ONE QB who has turned out great after starting the majority of his rookie year?

Those guys that do start their rookie year tend to get pulverized and it can mess with them in the future. You know what they say: "Once bit, twice shy".

Look no hate on Andrew, I LOVE the dude and believe he will be great but we need a seasoned vet to take him under his wing year 1. Donovan McNabb is that guy. Plus he has boatloads of talent so we could still be competitive with him AS LONG AS we give him a chance and don't throw him under the bus as WAS and MINN did. He was doomed the second he signed those contracts....everyone saw it coming.

While I am on board with bringing in a veteran QB that can help Luck during games on the sideline, in the film room and other off-the-field activities, A quarterback with the ego of Donovan Mcnabb does not fit that mold. He was run out of Washington because he didn't learn the offense, an offense he should have had a half-way decent grasp of to start with since it was another hybrid form of the same offense he ran for a decade in Philly. I do not see Mcnabb as a good teacher or resource for a young QB as evidenced by his time in Minnesota.

To be brutally honest Mcnabb's greatest asset to this team right now would be if he were forced to play and at this point while I would say he would be better than Stanton in that particular case, it is not worth the effort at this point. If Luck were to go down with an ACL and lost for the season then it might be something I would revisit because Mcnabb is the type of guy that if he isn't QB1, he's going to be an unhappy problem.

even if the worst was to happen and luck went down for the year, i would rather have a young QB win some games and become trade bait (like Cassel, Schaub, Flynn) or lose and we get a top 3 draft pick ( like Painter lol). there is no case where signing mcnabb would ever be good for the future of this team

Ya know, the more I think about this, the more it does make sense.

After all, who is going to teach young Andrew how to properly throw the ball inti the dirt? Who will teach him how overtime works. And most importantly, who else can share a lifetime amount of soup with him?

(I wonder how many serious responses I'd get with "Let's bring in Vinny Testeverde as a mentor" post?)

No.

If we wanted a qb for luck to sit behind for a year we would have found away to keep Peyton for a year.

I don't believe in this statement at all! We are all entitled to our opinions but this opinion has no ground to stand on. The Colts organization would not have ponied up 28 million dollars in bonus money to keep him on for one year then trade him or cut him.

Enough about that. Now let's talk about this McNabb nonsense.

We have our backup QBs entrenched so adding McNabb is a pipe dream. Basically we would have to have Luck and Stanton go down with injury for the Colts to even consider McNabb. I hope McNabb does gets on with a team at some point but, I think he garners the attention of teams that will need him to start immediately. Having said that, he will probably stay on the market until a team's starter goes down or is proven ineffective.

Likely suitors in my opinion:

Browns

Jags

Raiders

Bolts

There are a couple of other teams I can see him going to but it would depend on their W-L record at the time he is needed. I can see teams with winning records giving him a look to keep them in playoff contention.

Sorry if I rustled some jimmies with this post. :rantoff: :whiteflag:

You guys continue to lambast me, and in doing so are turning a blind eye to reality. Consider these thoughts:

1) Peyton and Andrew won't, couldn't, wouldn't, be on the same roster. Too much controversy. Too much cap space. So he couldn't have sat behind him.

2) Besides Peyton, who is in his own league really, name ONE QB who has turned out great after starting the majority of his rookie year?

Those guys that do start their rookie year tend to get pulverized and it can mess with them in the future. You know what they say: "Once bit, twice shy".

Look no hate on Andrew, I LOVE the dude and believe he will be great but we need a seasoned vet to take him under his wing year 1. Donovan McNabb is that guy. Plus he has boatloads of talent so we could still be competitive with him AS LONG AS we give him a chance and don't throw him under the bus as WAS and MINN did. He was doomed the second he signed those contracts....everyone saw it coming.

2) Ben Rothlesberger, started the majority of his rookie season and won the superbowl.

Now you name me 1 #1 overall pick who has sat behind someone and turned out great?

2. Airman, Eli, Rivers, and, on their way - Ryan, Stafford, Flacco, Bradford. It's the new NFL, get used to it.

even if the worst was to happen and luck went down for the year, i would rather have a young QB win some games and become trade bait (like Cassel, Schaub, Flynn) or lose and we get a top 3 draft pick ( like Painter lol). there is no case where signing mcnabb would ever be good for the future of this team

He wouldn't be in my top 5 or so to sign in a situation like that, I was just conveying what I felt his best asset to this team would be and in reality it wouldn't be the best situation.

If the ACL scenario would happen, I would given Harnish the ball, win, lose or draw and ride it out for better or worse.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, August 6, 2012 - shot at the fans on the boards
Hidden by Nadine, August 6, 2012 - shot at the fans on the boards

i cannot believe how many people would actually be on board with us signing ANY veteran QB and sitting luck behind them. i wish i could put a * next to everyone's name that mentioned it could possibly be good so i would know to ignore all of your future posts. This site is getting rediculous.

2) Ben Rothlesberger, started the majority of his rookie season and won the superbowl.

Now you name me 1 #1 overall pick who has sat behind someone and turned out great?

C'mon are you serious? Big Ben went to a GREAT team. They were built all around. We are solid too but not 15-1 good as that team was.

Narrowing down to just #1 pix isn't useful. You have to consider all rookie QBs

- Tom Brady: sat behind bledsoe (veteran)

- Eli Manning: started 7 games his 1st season, ALSO had a vet (Warner)

- Carson Palmer: sat behind VETERAN Jon Citna

- Drew Brees: sat behind a VETERAN (Doug Flutie)

- Phillip Rivers: sat behind Drew Brees

- Tony Romo (sat behind veteran DREW BLEDSOE)

- Aaron Rodgers (sat behind Favre for 3 YEARS)

- Mathew Stafford: Started 10 games, other by VETERAN Daunte Culpepper

see a trend?

(Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco aren't very good, so didn't include them)

Ya know, the more I think about this, the more it does make sense.

After all, who is going to teach young Andrew how to properly throw the ball inti the dirt? Who will teach him how overtime works. And most importantly, who else can share a lifetime amount of soup with him?

(I wonder how many serious responses I'd get with "Let's bring in Vinny Testeverde as a mentor" post?)

I'll have the chunky clam chowder...extra pepper please. :)