Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

anyone else concerned about DC Manuscy?

manning2dallas

Im not concerned at all the reason why manusky wasnt retained is because he got 3 job offers one with the chargers were 1st overall in defense then he got fired...i think he got fired because his players were let downs and he got the blame.

One thing about his time in San Fran......the Offense wasn't exactly stellar before Jim H. took over. As all Colts fans know, the offense can directly affect the Def. (time of possession, field possession, etc.) and vice versa. The optimist in me is going to attribute it to that :cheers:

One thing about his time in San Fran......the Offense wasn't exactly stellar before Jim H. took over. As all Colts fans know, the offense can directly affect the Def. (time of possession, field possession, etc.) and vice versa. The optimist in me is going to attribute it to that :cheers:

well, it's not as if the 49ers offense last year was a power house. All the time they'd go 3 and out....the defense basically won them all their games.

He was probably the best 3-4 defensive coordinator available.

Maybe with previous DC experience, but I hate going with retreads. If no solid proven guys are available I'd rather go for the defensive position coach with some potential at DC rather than a mediocre coach with experience

well, it's not as if the 49ers offense last year was a power house. All the time they'd go 3 and out....the defense basically won them all their games.

You are right. Now that I looked it up, they were actually ranked higher in total offense in 2010 (24th) than in 2011 (26th).

I'm not expecting much from him, mainly because of the personnel he has. Two great pass rushers in new positions, and one great safety. Then a few decent players, and then a whole bunch with no experience. Buddy Ryan would have a hard time with that group.

I'll be happy if the just play aggressive even if they give up the big play.

On the flip side, at least we'll get to see our O on the field a lot more.

I have a modest amount of concern over Manusky....

He has not been successful at either stop, and he didn't stay at either place very long. Not a good track record.

One story I read by an NFL scout said Manusky has not been popular with his players at either stop as DC. I realize popularity is not always a great barometer of success, especially in the NFL, but I prefer DC's who inspire their players to run through a wall for them, not to have players doing their job in spite of the DC. There's a difference, and it's not clear to me that Manusky understands that.

That said.... if anyone knows anything about Greg Manusky it should be the Colts. His brother was on the staff last year (and I think has now replaced him as DC)... Pagano is not new to the NFL, he must have pipelines to find out information... there should be few, if any, surprises. We should know what we're getting. And, as others have noted, Pagano can be as hands-on as he wants/needs to be.

I'm not overly worried because the bottom line is Manusky should not be the difference between making the playoffs and **not** making the playoffs for us this year. So, if it works out, and he's good, then great. But, if not, then we can get a quickie divorce in the off-season.

Not too concerned, Chuck will be keeping a close eye on his calls.

This sums it up. While Manusky has the official title of defensive coordinator, I think that like the Jets, the head coach will be in charge of making sure the defense knows what is going on. How many people here actually know the name of the defensive coordinator for the Jets? It's this guy, Mike Pettine. And I only know that because I watched Hard Knocks last season. If the Jets weren't on Hard Knocks, I wouldn't know

89750254_display_image.jpg?1291072879

For those that think Pagano is going to be the one calling the defense; From what are you basing that opinion? I don't get a chance to read many articles and things, none of the articles I have read have indicated that Pagano is going to be calling the defense, has he stated it someplace?

Theres no concern ,Picture this y'all when a coordinator takes over a head coaching job they are usually very hands on with the side offense or defense they come from and the opposite coordinator have more freedom , so it's pagano defense and Greg is helping him over see it

If you had the Chicago Bulls roster talent of the MJ days, you could probably play something other than the triangle offense and still win championships. A lot of it is player personnel, IMO. Manusky will get a pass this year even if our D is mediocre because our personnel is by no means top notch on the defensive side.

In fact, if we finish middle of the league with Manusky, it will be a good accomplishment at the end of the season.

He was probably the best 3-4 defensive coordinator available.

Not too concerned, Chuck will be keeping a close eye on his calls.

Nope. Not at all. Pagano will be the one making the calls. Manusky is just helping implement the 3-4 into our scheme.

I just hope it's more Pagano than Manusky.

Just like everyone astutely said above, Pagano will be keeping Manusky on a short leash closely monitoring all defensive calls.

• 1 month later...