Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Cornerbacks ticked and have Chip on their Shoulder

HtownColt

Colts cornerbacks are ticked and have a chip on their shouldr going into the 2012 season especially Jerraud Powers

“I kind of get ticked off every time I see an article or someone talking that the Colts’ secondary is this or that,” he said after the Colts’ concluded their ninth of 10 organized team activities (OTAs) Wednesday. “(Critics) aren’t in the building every day seeing

how these guys work at their craft or how they conduct themselves.

“Going into this year, we’re definitely going to have that chip on our shoulder. I feel like that every year. But this year as a group, guys are eager to go out there and show people what we can do and what we’re all about in the secondary.”

Seems like our corners are ready to step up to the plate and take on this challenge this year

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120606/SPORTS/120606046/Powers-unproven-Colts-conerback-core-eager-prove-doubters-wrong?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CIndyStar.com%7Cs

Colts cornerbacks are ticked and have a chip on their shouldr going into the 2012 season especially Jerraud Powers

“I kind of get ticked off every time I see an article or someone talking that the Colts’ secondary is this or that,” he said after the Colts’ concluded their ninth of 10 organized team activities (OTAs) Wednesday. “(Critics) aren’t in the building every day seeing

“Going into this year, we’re definitely going to have that chip on our shoulder. I feel like that every year. But this year as a group, guys are eager to go out there and show people what we can do and what we’re all about in the secondary.”

Seems like our corners are ready to step up to the plate and take on this challenge this year

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120606/SPORTS/120606046/Powers-unproven-Colts-conerback-core-eager-prove-doubters-wrong?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CIndyStar.com%7Cs

They also said this:

Those guys were sort of thrown into the fire last year and had to play early and had to come in without an offseason," Powers said. "I think they're the main ones that's benefiting from this the most, because this is the first time they're having a true offseason."

Colts coach Chuck Pagano said he is extremely pleased with the secondary, as they are asked to a little more in terms of fundamentals and technique in the new system.

That is exactly the type of attitude I love to hear from my defensive players. Passionate angry out to prove a point. The colts defense Has been decreasing for the past few years New coaches new players in a new system It's a chance to established A new defensive Identity. And I for 1 am very excited about it, No longer a soft defense now it's attacking. If you can stay healthy and this mentality It is possible for him to To take his game to the next level All he has to do it maintain that level of intensity throughout the year.

They have earned the criticism, whether through the scheme that we used or just poor play, but I'm glad they are angry about it. Maybe they can turn it around.

I agree with you, but I think it was more of poor scheming. I'm excited to see how they do this year

I think the new defense will take some pressure off the cb's having the additions on the d-line redding.mckinney and rookie chapman, nevis in his 2nd year and then angerer at mlb with freeney and mathis at olb could be one scary defense. It's been a long time sense I've really been excited to see the defense take the feild. can't come soon enough for me!

I was gonna put Mike Newton up there too, but we moved him to Safety. Btw, he's the next Bob Sanders, except without the Injuries

I assume you're being facetious, but to be honest I can't remember how he played last season. I think I'm subcociously trying to pretend the entire season never happened.

Sort of like the season of Dallas where it was just a dream. A very bad dream...

kinda sounds like their more worried about what the press is talking about then just going out and playing and proving everyone wrong. that is very dangerous thing to do and if they keep it up, they could very well end up on the horrible side of it all.

kinda sounds like their more worried about what the press is talking about then just going out and playing and proving everyone wrong. that is very dangerous thing to do and if they keep it up, they could very well end up on the horrible side of it all.

So your telling me a human is not going to read stuff that's written about them and put that in the back of their memory banks and go out there and try and prove them wrong

Yea, I don't blame them (yet). I blame Caldwell, Polian, and their "scheme." Several of those first-year players were just doing what they were told, and for all they knew, they probably thought it would be successful. Why not -- the Colts were playoff contenders the past dozen or so years, so they had no right to question whether the system was flawed or not.

Now with a fresh coat of paint, the defensive backs can recognize what went wrong, and maybe even pitch their ten cents to the management. After all, the GM and head coaches are "rookies" in their own way too. Maybe they can reach an agreement on how to field the best defense.

I've said plenty of times that I'm okay with giving Rucker and Thomas another chance. Last year was like a rookie season for the both of them. I don't see either of them having a break-out season, but maybe we'll see some interception from someone other than Powers or a Safety?

I assume you're being facetious, but to be honest I can't remember how he played last season. I think I'm subcociously trying to pretend the entire season never happened.

Sort of like the season of Dallas where it was just a dream. A very bad dream...

I don't think he played last year. But with the NEW System, I look for him to get more action this year. Rotating with Zibo & Bethea will be Good for him. May be a little difficult since he was just moved from CB to S. But we'll see how he does

Yea this sounds great that they have a Chip but aside from Powers is there any talent at CB on our roster? Imo i want to believe it was just the scheme (Tampa 2) that made us look so bad. I hope they show me something this year since we will be playing way more man to man, and there will be more opportunities to make plays

Too bad we cut Tryon. I thought he played pretty well.. he definitely could have started this season

Made zero sense, and really was a huge indicator that Jim Caldwell had no control over his roster and maybe even over the schemes he could run.

It's June.

Exactly. I don't need our new spokesman Powers telling me how good he and the crew are. After some preseason games I am more than willing to listen. I fully hope they are improving but right now all I care to hear is signings, injury reports, and organizational news. I just don't get excited like others to hear rhetoric. Guess I prefer to hear that we were not good last year, we are working our * off to get better, and we are looking to have a better 2012. So basically the truth without opinions or rhetoric.

Exactly. I don't need our new spokesman Powers telling me how good he and the crew are. After some preseason games I am more than willing to listen. I fully hope they are improving but right now all I care to hear is signings, injury reports, and organizational news. I just don't get excited like others to hear rhetoric. Guess I prefer to hear that we were not good last year, we are working our * off to get better, and we are looking to have a better 2012. So basically the truth without opinions or rhetoric.

You don't expect Powers to have an opinion?

I understand what you're saying, because there's not a lot to be gleaned from reports like this before pads are on. But from his perspective, every media report you hear talks about how bad our secondary is. I get tired of hearing it as well, because I don't think the secondary is as bad as it's made out to be, so I can only imagine how irritating it is to Powers. So a reporter asks him what he thinks about all the hubbub, and what's he supposed to say? I appreciate his candor.

I also agree with you, and will wait until we have some real action to look at before passing judgment. But it's good to know that the criticisms are heard by him and his teammates. Hopefully it will motivate them to work even harder.

Like I said. I would take it as as an attack on me but I would also be honest enough to realize it is WARRANTED. If me and my crew played that bad I would say that we were bad...but we aren't going to let that happen again and we are working hard to be better so that the media can't say that about us this year. To me that is the truth...and I hope they are getting better...I don't want to hear excuses and hear about practice. I want him to say he is working hard to get better and it will show on the field.

Too bad we cut Tryon. I thought he played pretty well.. he definitely could have started this season

I could be wrong here but I think he got picked up by someone else and quickly released by them as well. I liked Tryon too but I think we over valued how good we thought he was at times.

Lots of continuous Nay sayers around here... Everyone is up in arms about the colts situation with their corners, then fans get a press release where the corners talk about having some fire and drive to show/prove everyone wrong & yet the Nay saying continues... lame...

http://www.indystar....|IndyStar.com|s

They need to worry about Jay Cutler and not getting toasted on the Lakefront in Chicago.

Pick him off and then you can talk...

Pagano made us recognize names like Chris Carr and Josh Wilson on the Ravens' secondary, I am sure his secondary coaches will coach up our DBs better than we are used to seeing.

Better schemes, better coaching, and better pass rush from our D-line and OLBs will make our pass D look good.

Pass rush trumps everything else though. I dont care how good your secondary is; with little pass rush, they cant hang with the best for 5-6 seconds.