Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwayne Allen is the total package

HtownColt

Dwayne Allen is the total package as a tight end

with that being sad here is a positive and negative video of his 2010 sophomore season(not this past year where he won the John Mackey award as top tight end)

not a highlight tape most people seen but the things you need in your tight end. he recognizes man or zone coverage beautifully and knows where to sit it down in zone coverage and more than willing blocker this is just as a sophomore im looking for his junior season as we speak

with that being sad here is a positive and negative video of his 2010 sophomore season(not this past year where he won the John Mackey award as top tight end)

not a highlight tape most people seen but the things you need in your tight end. he recognizes man or zone coverage beautifully and knows where to sit it down in zone coverage and more than willing blocker this is just as a sophomore im looking for his junior season as we speak

Dwayne Allen compares to Tony Gonzalez for me, Fleener more to Dallas Clark with more speed!!!

Allen seems stronger than his weight suggests, not sure if others feel that way.

He's more well rounded than Fleener, which is what you look for in 2 TE package. A receiver first kinda TE and a well rounded one.

Just look at the Pats. Gronk is very well rounded and Hernandez is a pure receiver.

Look at the Steelers a couple of years ago. They had Miller who was well rounded and Spaeth who was a receiver first kinda TE.

We are building our 2 headed TE monster properly :)

He's more well rounded than Fleener, which is what you look for in 2 TE package. A receiver first kinda TE and a well rounded one.

Just look at the Pats. Gronk is very well rounded and Hernandez is a pure receiver.

Look at the Steelers a couple of years ago. They had Miller who was well rounded and Spaeth who was a receiver first kinda TE.

I see Fleener being a pretty solid blocker once he hits the weights and gets his technique developed more.

The weird thing about this is, it was not by design. If they got the CB they wanted at the beginning of round 3, we may not have this 2 headed TE monster.

Sometimes, blessings come in disguises, hopefully this one is another of them. :)

I read that Fleener had back surgery early in his career and it causes him to be rather stiff. Supposedly, it limits his ability to work out and it limits his blocking ability. So, he might not ever become a great blocker.

Dwayne Allen compares to Tony Gonzalez for me, Fleener more to Dallas Clark with more speed!!!

Allen seems stronger than his weight suggests, not sure if others feel that way.

It's funny because people naturally want to draw the comparison to New England's two tight ends, most times saying Fleener will be the "Gronkowski" of the Colts. If you actually stop and assess both Fleener and Allen's skillsets, it's actually Allen who better fits the mold of Gronkowski while Fleener is fast and athletic like Hernandez. I think both will play a huge role in the offense but Allen is the more complete TE, and will be key in both passing and running situations.

Walterfootball.com compares Dwayne Allen to Jermaine Gresham, who is a very good TE. They also compared Coby Fleener to Owen Daniels, though I would compare him to Jimmy Graham or if the 4.45 40 time is true he may be closer to a Vernon Davis. If both these guys pan out alright, we're going to be giving defenses a headache for years to come.

I read that Fleener had back surgery early in his career and it causes him to be rather stiff. Supposedly, it limits his ability to work out and it limits his blocking ability. So, he might not ever become a great blocker.

Grigson said they checked it out thoroughly, not worried.

Walterfootball.com compares Dwayne Allen to Jermaine Gresham, who is a very good TE. They also compared Coby Fleener to Owen Daniels, though I would compare him to Jimmy Graham or if the 4.45 40 time is true he may be closer to a Vernon Davis. If both these guys pan out alright, we're going to be giving defenses a headache for years to come.

Vernon Davis is a freak of nature to be so big and run a 4.3 he is in his own class

Fleener is nowhere near the level of Vernon Davis. Davis ran a 4.3 40 and did the most bench reps for a TE ever at the combine. That's not even mentioning the fact that all of that physical talent translated onto the field. He's one of the best blocking TE's in the league, and if he had an elite QB throwing to him, he'd be considered the best receiving TE as well. He was probably the greatest TE prospect, ever, coming out of college. Just trying to keep things in perspective here......

Vernon Davis is a freak of nature to be so big and run a 4.3 he is in his own class

Yes Vernon Davis is a freak, he runs a 4.36 at 6-3 250. Fleener is 6-6 250 and runs a 4.45 which is also pretty freakish if you ask me. :)

Yeah. I have said Allen (not Fleener) will be Luck's security blanket. He is proto-typical TE. He has good hands. Can play with his hand down or standing up breaking in and out is fluid. He is a very good blocker..willing and strong and able. He isn't going to have many passes over 20 yards but I actually see him getting more catches than Fleener this year. He is perfect for those short yardage passes and will help the run game. We likely will use 2 TE sets a lot but I would say he actually stays on the field more than Fleener. I would have been perfectly happy just getting Allen in round 3 and not Fleener in round 2 but there was no way to know and we couldn't risk missing on both. I understand what we did.

His 4.45 time is very real. If you watch the link at :31 seconds you see Fleener catch the football and right before the clock shows :32 seconds he's running. he is at the back of the endzone at :35 seconds. So anyone who tells you his speed was only at the Combine or Pro Day should look at game tape like this.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, that If both these guys pan out we will give defenses a headache for years!

His 4.45 time is very real. If you watch the link at :31 seconds you see Fleener catch the football and right before the clock shows :32 seconds he's running. he is at the back of the endzone at :35 seconds. So anyone who tells you his speed was only at the Combine or Pro Day should look at game tape like this.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, that If both these guys pan out we will give defenses a headache for years!

nobody is arguing with you about fleener's speed just dont compare his game to vernon Davis because thats unfair to fleener to make that comparison..davis all around game is on another planet compared to other tight ends

The one key in all those videos is that Fleener gets a free release and is matched up against tiny corners. They were able to get mismatches. That is what makes Allen so valuable. Opponents will have to keep the LB on Allen who will be tight and Fleener should get a saftey. Now...he probably won't run away from NFL caliber saftey's like he did those poor college kids but he should definately have an advantage in shielding and catching the ball. I look for opposing teams to try to jam him and not let him get a free release at any cost. I think teams will press us a lot to try to get pressure on Luck and test our offensive line. Fleener won't get those cupcake match ups like Stanford got for him.

nobody is arguing with you about fleener's speed just dont compare his game to vernon Davis because thats unfair to fleener to make that comparison..davis all around game is on another planet compared to other tight ends

I didn't compare him to Davis, someone else did.

Thanks for posting Htown. Not a lot to not like from this kid. Scrappy blocker with good form. I thought it was funny, against Miami he blocks his guy, the running back runs past and his guy comes off and makes a tackle after a 9 yard gain and Allen is mad for not sustaining the block. Seems to have soft hands. Not the most fluid athlete but seems to find a way to get open.

fleener is actually stronger then dwayne allen. fleener did 27 reps of 225lbs bench press, allen did 24

3 reps aint neccessarily stronger..wanna go stronger see how much they squat that will tell you who has the explosion off the line and driving ability to sustain blocks

No doubt both allen and fleener are amazing, but lets ask a real question.

Anybody hoping that Luck bring in that screaming snap count to the colts? Manning may have his audibles, but we got Luck screaming for 5 seconds prior to the snap. Win.

I don't know, in looking at your video, he seems to get tackled pretty easily, seems to have decent hands but i'm not over-impressed at the video......there are probably many more videos that do him more justice but this was only his sophomore season. 2nd to the last

I don't know, in looking at your video, he seems to get tackled pretty easily, seems to have decent hands but i'm not over-impressed at the video......there are probably many more videos that do him more justice but this was only his sophomore season. 2nd to the last

he came out his junior year..and if thats what you got out of this video then idk what to tell you about your assesment of players yea you can look at his highlight tapes to see the big time plays he makes im showing people the little things he does that makes him the total package

I think they both will be total packages. Fleener could bulk up a bit and improve his blocking, same with Allen. Fleener is also taller and faster than Hernandez was at the same respective point in their careers. Hopefully both guys will get stronger and improve blocking while still having good speed, football IQ and receiving abilities. I could definitely see a nasty future TE tandem with the two. I am stoked to see them in action.

he came out his junior year..and if thats what you got out of this video then idk what to tell you about your assesment of players yea you can look at his highlight tapes to see the big time plays he makes im showing people the little things he does that makes him the total package

i was impressed but not overly as I said but I know wat you're saying. Allen was projected mid to late 2nd so I think it's all good. I think they will complement one another with Fleenor being the burner.

I just think we need to stop comparing them to the NE tight ends. They don't really equate at all. Gronk plays a lot bigger and stronger than Fleener. A much more accomplished blocker and Hernandez is the speedy athletic guy. He can play all over the field and definately better at making people miss. I just don't think Allen or Fleener are similar to the NE guys at all. They are both good looking young TEs and I think Fleener may mirror Graham a little more and Allen right now would be closer to Fred Davis I would think. Both have a long way to go to be pro bowlers.

I don't get why people are comparing Fleener to Hernandez. Fleener is bigger, stronger, and faster. I say that Fleener is more like Jimmy Graham than he is like Hernandez. Allen is more like Antonio Gates and Fleener is probably more like Jimmy Graham.