Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts at Texans post game

GoColts8818

8 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Teams are selling out to stop the run. They’re daring him to throw.

And we’ve said it multiple times now so I’m assuming you’re being willfully ignorant, QBs are given multiple route options. If it’s going deep, likely it’s cuz AR wants to. If he’s being only given one option, then AR is worse off than previously thought.

Regarding the run, we still ran for over 100yds on 20 carries.  The thing about having stars and X factors, is that the other team know it’s coming, but they’re so good they can’t stop it.  We’ve spent sooo much money and draft capital on this line.  RTDB!  Sometimes it isn’t about Xs and Os, sometimes it’s about getting nasty and punching a team right in the mouth when they know the punch is coming.

Regarding AR, that’s on both Shane/Coaching and AR.  When dropping back, it should be first read - second read - run and improvise.  That’s either Shane not implementing that, AR not abiding to that because of inexperience, inability, pressure, etc…or both.  I personally think it’s both.

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Any high school coach would have told his QB to hand it off or take a knee. Steichen answer to this in his presser was inexcusable.

nonsense.  You call the pass.   If it isn't open,  you throw it away.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Flacco and AR should not have the same offense 

see, again we aren't talking about the same thing. maybe you're having too many conversations at once to be quoting me. 

6 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

This is a factual post. 

Colts at 4-4 is absolutely a miracle coaching job by Shane. He is saddled with the worst QB in NFL history 

1) Stupid statement.

2) Steichen wanted this 'worst QB in NFL history'. He chooses to continue starting the 'worst QB in NFL history'.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

This loss goes directly on Shane.  Flacco should have been on the field coming back from half time 

maybe. unless the consensus from FO to coaching is that AR starts regardless and it is what it is. 

very possible that's the case, and he doesn't get pulled regardless of what happens 

* said Flacco and AR run the same offense 

no sorry i don't think we are even on the same topic at this point, I'm fine with letting it die off 

Just now, AKB said:

maybe. unless the consensus from FO to coaching is that AR starts regardless and it is what it is. 

very possible that's the case, and he doesn't get pulled regardless of what happens 

I think that's obviously the case. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

nonsense.  You call the pass.   If it isn't open,  you throw it away.    

I call nonsense on this then too. If you throw it away in that situation, we’re punting from deep territory to CJ stroud with timeouts. We were faced with a 4th and 3 (aka the same scenario) in the 2nd half, and we ran a direct qb run to the edge (with great success). So perhaps Steichen learned his lesson there, but that same play not only moves the sticks, but avoids the disaster and gives an opportunity to call a timeout and decide what the play is (if you so choose.) What a disaster to the end the half. Ended up being the difference between winning and losing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AKB said:

AR was 2 of 14. It's obviously the case.

• Thanks 1

There was no getting a FG with 39 seconds left. This was bad game management 

Bad game management all around from Shane. He needs to sit AR when he is not playing well.  Use Flacco when he is needed 

He needs to stop treating him like a vet and stop making him a pocket passer 

The fact is,   he isn't good at throwing the football right now.   I wish they would roll him out more.   So I agree with you some what.   But he still has to make better decisions. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AKB said:

no sorry i don't think we are even on the same topic at this point, I'm fine with letting it die off 

The consensus from Irsay on down is to ride AR to find out what they have. Come hell or high water, AR isn’t getting benched. Not this year anyway. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I’m starting to lose faith in Shane.  He was grossly out coached again.  

This whole offense outside of Taylor was trash where was our big 70 million plus reciever today he did absolutely nothing Mitchell nonexistent tight ends again nowhere to be found this offense stinks recievers are overrated and so is this offensive line.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There was no getting a FG with 39 seconds left. This was bad game management 

What? How are you going to say this when it literally happens all the time. Teams always drive down the field in 30 sec to kick field goals and win? You clearly don’t know what your talking about

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I call nonsense on this then too. If you throw it away in that situation, we’re punting from deep territory to CJ stroud with timeouts. We were faced with a 4th and 3 (aka the same scenario) in the 2nd half, and we ran a direct qb run to the edge (with great success). So perhaps Steichen learned his lesson there, but that same play not only moves the sticks, but avoids the disaster and gives an opportunity to call a timeout and decide what the play is (if you so choose.) What a disaster to the end the half. Ended up being the difference between winning and losing. 

He could have ran.   He could have thrown out away.   He could have went to a different receiver.     He chose to throw it into coverage 2 times in a row.  That's on the QB.   Like not running out of bounds and instead cut it inside near the end of the game.   Maybe he hasn't played enough football to not do the things he should do

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

AR is having difficulty connecting on short passes. 

Sure he's not great at it, but are you telling me he can't make a screen pass? People are making this out to be a MUCH bigger problem than it is.

This is not the issue.

AR is having difficulty connecting on intermediate passes.

Again, see above. People are acting like because he's mid 50s in completion that it's ok to call plays for him to just chuck it deep all the time. It's ridiculous.

He may have to arm for it, but deep passes are inherently low percentage plays. ESPECIALLY when that's what's being called every other drive.

AR gets injured when he runs, so Steichen cannot let him run regularly.

Then he'll bust because he can't stay healthy. Refusing to use his strengths and, frankly, misuse him is just beyond stupid. They need to give him A LOT more first read plays and run him A LOT more. Steichen is calling the plays like AR is a 10 year veteran.

MOST of the success AR has had is because of the deep ball.

Again, he may have the arm for it, but deep plays are just low percentage plays. The playcalling is beyond atrocious.

What is Steichen supposed to do? AR has been so bad that no matter what Steichen calls, it's been ugly.

Give him first read passing plays. Give him screen plays. Run him more. Use JT more. Steichen is playcalling like AR is a veteran.

AR has to GET better. AR needs to BE better, don't get me wrong on that, but Steichen is ABSOLUTELY bungling his playcalling duties it this point. If AR makes too many bad decisions or he skips reads to throw deep all the time, then Steichen needs to force the short throws on first read plays. Saying Steichen can't do anything is ridiculous.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, colts89 said:

1) Stupid statement.

2) Steichen wanted this 'worst QB in NFL history'. He chooses to continue starting the 'worst QB in NFL history'.

Dig up some metrics and dispute. Statistically, you are going to struggle to find a worse QB. Jamarcus stats and AR aren’t all that different. 

I am not sure what option was better when they had to pick. It just sucks. He will never be a good QB. It’s ok to move on and cut your losses. Don’t make it a 3 year ordeal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jz0204945 said:

This whole offense outside of Taylor was trash where was our big 70 million plus reciever today he did absolutely nothing Mitchell nonexistent tight ends again nowhere to be found this offense stinks recievers are overrated and so is this offensive line.

As trash as it is, they barely lost to the division champs. Twice. We’re not there yet, that’s obvious but we’re not total garbage either(though it looks it at times)

3 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I get it this is a Colts FAN board and there is a whole lot of people wearing blue colored shades in here. But I can guarantee you nobody outside of Colts country today is saying that AR will be fine its all Shanes fault lol

I'm outside Colts cou try & I'm not wearing Colt colored glasses. I think AR15 is a stud & can be a very good QB in the league.

The only way I'd have started him, as a rookie or this year was if I wasn't planning on winning a lot. This would be his development period learning to read defenses & how the offense works. 

But you guys are so close to winning these losses hurt. 

If I'm the GM/Coach I'm fine with the way this game turned out. You could've & probably should've won a tough game on the road against a fairly good team... the hard thing is to keep the team buying your message. 

You definitely would have won this game if they treated him like Lamar or Jalen, but my heart stopped when he went down & took himself out of the game. I mean if I were a Colts fan or GM or Coach. 

I want him to play the game from the pocket, I don't want him leaving the pocket too early & relying on his legs. I want him to learn the rules before he starts breaking them. Come December if you're playing for a playoff spot, then I'm unleashing the beast. 

18 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I get it this is a Colts FAN board and there is a whole lot of people wearing blue colored shades in here. But I can guarantee you nobody outside of Colts country today is saying that AR will be fine its all Shanes fault lol

Nobody is saying AR was good. He was terrible. But, expecting him to be great with his experience is ridiculous and Steichen can do a lot more to help him out. The focus on AR being bad is misplaced.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

Yep. He’s the next Josh Allen didn’t you know that? Prepare for more excuses.

I have been a big defender of Richardson not after today he isn't the guy matter of fact he isn't the future he is a foot note.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

What? How are you going to say this when it literally happens all the time. Teams always drive down the field in 30 sec to kick field goals and win? You clearly don’t know what your talking about

Cool, giving up a 30 second field goal and Colts win by 1, as opposed to throwing the interception and giving up 7  Congrats!

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

There were 39 seconds left in the game when the colts ran the 3rd down play from their own 12 yard line. If they take a knee , Houston calls TO with at least 34 seconds left. Say the punt takes 8 seconds and nets 45 yards. Houston , who has a kicker that is accurate from over 50 would have 2 time outs and around 26 seconds . Ball would be around the Houston 45. Plenty of time to get into FG range for the hottest kicker in football. 

Would you take a POSSIBLE  FG over a TD?   I would.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IndySouthsider said:

Dig up some metrics and dispute. Statistically, you are going to struggle to find a worse QB. Jamarcus stats and AR aren’t all that different. 

I am not sure what option was better when they had to pick. It just sucks. He will never be a good QB. It’s ok to move on and cut your losses. Don’t make it a 3 year ordeal.

Cool, you missed what you said completely. You can't act like AR is being forced on Steichen. He can always make the call to sit him and start Flacco, but he's the one who continues to start him and he's the main guy that fought to draft him. If you're mad that AR is taking his rookie lumps instead of of sitting on the bench, then you better be mad at Steichen.

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

As trash as it is, they barely lost to the division champs. Twice. We’re not there yet, that’s obvious but we’re not total garbage either(though it looks it at times)

Sorry but i this case agree to disagree today was as garbage as it gets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

And Eli took over his rookie year and they never looked back.  Richardson is past his rookie year.  He did the equivalent of sitting to learn last year, a lot of good it’s done him.  The bottom line is he may very well just be a bust.

I said that to emphasize Eli was a 4 year starter in college and he had to do that. So AR probably needs more time on the sidelines??? Or treat him like Tim Tebow with a tailored offense