Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Texans' GM Nick Caserio Evaluates the Colts

RollerColt

Reminds me a little bit of BB before we would play the patriots. Would go on and on about Luck and Hilton. Let’s just hope that they can’t do the same thing that the patriots did to us all those years

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, twfish said:

Reminds me a little bit of BB before we would play the patriots. Would go on and on about Luck and Hilton. Let’s just hope that they can’t do the same thing that the patriots did to us all those years

Nick is a very good GM for a reason. I'm sure all GMs keep track of division opponents, but he seems to go the extra mile. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

He did not say anything we all didn't know lol

Half the board wallows in negativity and can't wait to say I told you so.

And the ones that sorta want to believe can't help themselves from wasting their time feeding the trolls.

The NFL is on the verge of having 12-15 sure fire Super Bowl caliber QB's.

Winning 12 games will be harder than ever. 

I believe we have the Super Bowl caliber Head Coach.  lol  

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Nick is a very good GM for a reason. I'm sure all GMs keep track of division opponents, but he seems to go the extra mile. 

I’m not ready to crown him very good. It’s easy to pick top level talent when you’ve been picking in the top draft for his first couple drafts. What will make him good or not is if they stay good and don’t have near the level of talent to choose from. He’s been aggressive so I’ll give him that but ask me again in 3 years if he’s good or not.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, twfish said:

I’m not ready to crown him very good. It’s easy to pick top level talent when you’ve been picking in the top draft for his first couple drafts. What will make him good or not is if they stay good and don’t have near the level of talent to choose from. He’s been aggressive so I’ll give him that but ask me again in 3 years if he’s good or not.

That's fair. If the Texans continue to be successful they'll eventually be in the Bengals and Bills situations trying to juggle all of the contracts and pieces. 

47 minutes ago, twfish said:

I agree with what you're saying, but I also think he's pushing the right buttons. They got the QB right (maybe thanks to the Panthers getting it wrong, but still...), and they're pushing hard while they can. The only thing they've done that I don't like is the Diggs trade, but we'll see how that plays out.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

I agree with what you're saying, but I also think he's pushing the right buttons. They got the QB right (maybe thanks to the Panthers getting it wrong, but still...), and they're pushing hard while they can. The only thing they've done that I don't like is the Diggs trade, but we'll see how that plays out.

Very Grigsonesque. It can go either way. If he can successfully draft guys to replace highly paid free agents then it’s a solid way to build. Relying on it too heavily without being able to back fill can be absolutely devastating to a franchise

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I will say Houston also has continued to benefit from Cleveland making one of the worst decisions of all time by trading 6 picks(!) three of which were 1st rounders(!) for Watson. 

Browns gonna Browns.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, twfish said:

Very Grigsonesque. It can go either way. If he can successfully draft guys to replace highly paid free agents then it’s a solid way to build. Relying on it too heavily without being able to back fill can be absolutely devastating to a franchise

Meh. I think the Grigson era has been caricatured to the extent that it's significantly misrepresented at this point. That's not a defense of Grigson; he wasn't a good GM, but that's because he drafted poorly, not because he signed a few free agents.

Speaking of, I think Caserio's drafting has been mixed. Nico Collins in 2021, Stingley and Harris in 2022, and not much else. Then they had the 2nd and 3rd picks in 2023, and nailed the QB. We'll see this year and next whether their drafting has been good enough. 

I think the Danielle Hunter signing is excellent. Mixon should be good, we'll see about Diggs. But the less popular moves -- signing Al-Shaair, Okudah, even Autry (overrated by Colts fans, but still a nice vet option) -- are the ones that I think deserve more credit. They won 10 games last year, and they have a really good QB on a rookie contract, so they're taking a shot right now. You're right, it can go either way, and I think people are crowning them prematurely, but I also think they're doing what they should be doing.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, twfish said:

No its not. The NFL is littered with top 10 busts over the years. He has done magnificent job in such a short time and he also lost his franchise qb. Interesting that he was able to rebuild so fast. I would also argue that he had way more drama to deal with than Ballard ever did.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, twfish said:

caserio learned from bb

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

No it’s not. The NFL is littered with top 10 busts over the years. He has done magnificent job in such a short time and he also lost his franchise qb. Interesting that he was able to rebuild so fast. I would also argue that he had way more drama to deal with than Ballard ever did.

It is objectively easier to get higher level talent picking in the first 10 of every round of the draft then it is in the last 10. There isn’t a single argument that you can make to falsify that fact. Yes there are bust but having your pick of most of the players makes it easier. 

Im sure getting 3 1st round picks, a 3rd and a 4th for losing their starting quarterback was a lot easier to rebound from getting absolutely nothing from a QB who retired right before the season while the Texans knew all offseason. Terrible take IMHO

• Like 2

9 hours ago, twfish said:

he probably made the best trade ever in the nfl history, the watson trade was a mastermind deal, and he improved the team even more during the off season

8 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

he probably made the best trade ever in the nfl history, the watson trade was a mastermind deal, and he improved the team even more during the off season

Lmao you’re giving him way too much credit once again. Any of us could have gotten the deal. There was a bidding war for at the time a superstar QB in his prime who no longer wanted to play with the Texans and was demanding to be traded.

I’m not even saying he’s a bad GM, we just need to see how he does. They had one good season and everyone is crowning him and them as superstars. While they look good on paper all it takes is one injury to Stroud and their doomed.

16 hours ago, Superman said:

Speaking of, I think Caserio's drafting has been mixed. Nico Collins in 2021, Stingley and Harris in 2022, and not much else. Then they had the 2nd and 3rd picks in 2023, and nailed the QB. We'll see this year and next whether their drafting has been good enough. 

Your whole post was spot on, but this bolded part is exactly right.

I think GM's get judged on this so much that even mediocre GM's get longer tenures when they nail the QB spot, and get fired (some maybe prematurely) when they pick the QB spot poorly. 

I believe I even heard Ballard mention something to that effect in one of his pressers. 

Pretty spot on analysis if you ask me. Offensively this team will be explosive as long as #5 and #28 stay healthy. On defense the Colts are really solid or better everywhere, with the only exception being outside corner.

8 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

This is psychological warfare... 😂

Yeah. 

I mean, everyone that's saying "he's just doing GM speak" is honestly right. I just found it interesting to hear him analyze the team. But yes, the last thing he would want to do is put up bulletin board material for our locker room. 

While Belichick was always dry with his interviews leading up to a game, I can't recall him ever trashing on any team. So, essentially, there's nothing really going on with this video that's note worthy. 

I guess if the mods want to close this thread it's understandable. 

On 9/5/2024 at 8:03 AM, RollerColt said:

Pretty rare for a GM to talk about another team so openly and not anonymously. 

Explosiveness was my main gripe with the offense last year.  Even with AR (for the short time he played) I felt we lacked it.  Good to hear that our division rival feels we have the capability to be that now!  Man I cannot WAIT for Sunday!

and kudos to him for being professional and giving us some shine here.  

Chiming in on the current convo:

He’s doing what a good GM should do and that’s use every option available to improve your team.  Nailing the QB will be his biggest accomplishment but he made the savvy moves improve the team through the draft and FA.  Now when it comes to drafting I feel Ballard has been better but he kills him with his FA work.  But, having a franchise QB and having your team in Texas does make a difference.  Even though the Texans look like a potential juggernaut, they do have a potential weakness, their depth.  

so I say all that to say, I think he’s done a good job with what he was given.  He could’ve just sat and built this team slowly but he’s been aggressive.  Just have to wait and see if it’ll pay off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Your whole post was spot on, but this bolded part is exactly right.

I think GM's get judged on this so much that even mediocre GM's get longer tenures when they nail the QB spot, and get fired (some maybe prematurely) when they pick the QB spot poorly. 

I believe I even heard Ballard mention something to that effect in one of his pressers. 

IMO, there's nothing more blinding than a good QB, and nothing exposes mistakes more than not having a good QB. This applies to GMs and coaches. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Superman said:

IMO, there's nothing more blinding than a good QB, and nothing exposes mistakes more than not having a good QB. This applies to GMs and coaches. 

facts, Andrew luck was able to get to the playoffs and without him that team wasn’t anything.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, twfish said:

Lmao you’re giving him way too much credit once again. Any of us could have gotten the deal. There was a bidding war for at the time a superstar QB in his prime who no longer wanted to play with the Texans and was demanding to be traded.

I’m not even saying he’s a bad GM, we just need to see how he does. They had one good season and everyone is crowning him and them as superstars. While they look good on paper all it takes is one injury to Stroud and their doomed.

I don’t think they’re being crowned. Every team gets hype whenever they exceed expectations, especially so when a rookie head coach, QB and highly touted pass rusher combine to do what they did last year. Now it’s up to the Texans to prove everyone right. 

As to your last sentence, you could say that about a lot of teams with “superstar” quarterbacks, no? 

4 minutes ago, Qwiz said:

I don’t think they’re being crowned. Every team gets hype whenever they exceed expectations, especially so when a rookie head coach, QB and highly touted pass rusher combine to do what they did last year. Now it’s up to the Texans to prove everyone right. 

As to your last sentence, you could say that about a lot of teams with “superstar” quarterbacks, no? 

Side note I haven’t seen you around these parts in a long time, hope all is well.

Colts had a winning season and were cheated out of the playoffs with the browns game, after losing Richardson. There are certainly a few teams that would likely still have success, such as the Chiefs, Rams, Seattle, Minnesota is going to be fine with Darnold, the eagles and honestly I think Flacco would keep the colts as contenders.

For the sake of the Colts I hope he’s an utter failure but I don’t think that’s the case. The next 2-4 years is going to be incredibly telling of how good of a GM he is. There will be a lot of free agents or veteran players taking up salary cap and he won’t have the luxury of multiple first round picks and while I really hope they are still picking in the top of the draft, they will most likely be picking at the end. How well he will be able to replace the talent on the roster is going to speak volumes.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Qwiz said:

Quiz.  It's good to see you.    You have to admit the majority of the success your GM has had comes in the heals of your last qb being run out of town.  I actually give the city of Houston credit.   He was no longer welcome.   Other cities wanted him and were willing to give a kings ransom.  I could have made that trade.   So far,  it looks like Nick has done a good job with the picks.  We will see.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, twfish said:

Side note I haven’t seen you around these parts in a long time, hope all is well.

Colts had a winning season and were cheated out of the playoffs with the browns game, after losing Richardson. There are certainly a few teams that would likely still have success, such as the Chiefs, Rams, Seattle, Minnesota is going to be fine with Darnold, the eagles and honestly I think Flacco would keep the colts as contenders.

For the sake of the Colts I hope he’s an utter failure but I don’t think that’s the case. The next 2-4 years is going to be incredibly telling of how good of a GM he is. There will be a lot of free agents or veteran players taking up salary cap and he won’t have the luxury of multiple first round picks and while I really hope they are still picking in the top of the draft, they will most likely be picking at the end. How well he will be able to replace the talent on the roster is going to speak volumes.

I had to go and look it up…Apparently Carson Wentz is Mahomes’ backup. I think you’re right in that they could still make some noise as long as he played the good game manager, I couldn’t see them winning a championship with him though. Seahawks have PJ Walker and Rams Stetson Bennett I think? I do see your point though, there are definitely some well-built teams that could still get by and not totally sink. Flacco played great for Cleveland, I could see him keeping the Colts afloat as well. The season’s potential overall though would be hindered. 

Caserio did have the luxury of the Browns trade and though not all of his moves/picks have paid off, I still think it’s telling how he could turn things around so quickly. No one expected that even after we got CJ. Definitely can’t call him the best (yet 😆) but he’s doing his thing and you’re right, how he handles contracts and hopefully success going forward will be what to watch for. He learned from Belichick and I hope he can make similar decisions. No Cole Strange or hella slot receiver drafts, though 😂

Yessir, it’s good to be back! I’ve been lurking and since our teams have a game in a couple of days I knew it was time to pop in and interact. It’s gonna be a good one Sunday, I swear the NFL loves having us play each other first more often than not! 

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Quiz.  It's good to see you.    You have to admit the majority of the success your GM has had comes in the heals of your last qb being run out of town.  I actually give the city of Houston credit.   He was no longer welcome.   Other cities wanted him and were willing to give a kings ransom.  I could have made that trade.   So far,  it looks like Nick has done a good job with the picks.  We will see.  

What’s up man! Good to see you too, the offseason was far too long. 

Yeah, it was pretty bumming to see what Watson did after such a promising start. It seemed like everything that could go wrong did go wrong at that time, but after the allegations came out right along with his dissatisfaction, we all knew it was over. 2022 was bad as we expected, but Caserio definitely has a vision that he’s sticking to.

Looking forward to what will hopefully be a great QB rivalry in the division! If Trevor Lawrence lives up to his potential as well then the South is gonna remind people of the AFC North or NFC East of the old days. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Qwiz said:

I had to go and look it up…Apparently Carson Wentz is Mahomes’ backup. I think you’re right in that they could still make some noise as long as he played the good game manager, I couldn’t see them winning a championship with him though. Seahawks have PJ Walker and Rams Stetson Bennett I think? I do see your point though, there are definitely some well-built teams that could still get by and not totally sink. Flacco played great for Cleveland, I could see him keeping the Colts afloat as well. The season’s potential overall though would be hindered. 

Caserio did have the luxury of the Browns trade and though not all of his moves/picks have paid off, I still think it’s telling how he could turn things around so quickly. No one expected that even after we got CJ. Definitely can’t call him the best (yet 😆) but he’s doing his thing and you’re right, how he handles contracts and hopefully success going forward will be what to watch for. He learned from Belichick and I hope he can make similar decisions. No Cole Strange or hella slot receiver drafts, though 😂

Yessir, it’s good to be back! I’ve been lurking and since our teams have a game in a couple of days I knew it was time to pop in and interact. It’s gonna be a good one Sunday, I swear the NFL loves having us play each other first more often than not! 

I was thinking Rams with Jimmy G when he gets back off his suspension, and Sam Howell with the Seahawks. I think Howell could still be good without a dumpster fire of an organization around him. I’m still hoping he took more from late BB not prim BB haha 

I do wish we were playing against each other around week 4 so we would be primed and ready to roll.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2024 at 10:40 AM, twfish said:

I agree and have said the same.  The Watson trade fell into his lap and it’s easy to be aggressive with that much high draft capital.  He’s getting a lot of credit just for Stroud but I guarantee you had Carolina picked Stroud like Reich wanted Caserio would have drafted Young,  which would have been good news for us.  Unfortunately for us it didn’t work out that way.  Let’s see how well he does now that the Watson dividends have played out and they are picking later in the round.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ArmchairQB said:

He’s getting a lot of credit just for Stroud but I guarantee you had Carolina picked Stroud like Reich wanted Caserio would have drafted Young,  which would have been good news for us.

I guarantee you he would not have picked Young.

25 minutes ago, Superman said:

I guarantee you he would not have picked Young.

Well unless you know him personally I’m not sure how you can guarantee that.  Young was a consensus pick at 1.  Much less 2.  So what do you guarantee he would have done?  I’m generally curious to know.  

28 minutes ago, ArmchairQB said:

Well unless you know him personally I’m not sure how you can guarantee that.  Young was a consensus pick at 1.  Much less 2.  So what do you guarantee he would have done?  I’m generally curious to know.  

How can you guarantee that he would have picked Young??