Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2024: Game #1, Texans @ Colts, September 8, 2024, 1 p.m. ET

NFLfan

Game 1 Texans @ Colts  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who will score the first touchdown for the Colts?

• Anthony Richardson (running/receiving)
    • A running back
    • A wide receiver or tight end
    • A defensive player
    • Someone else
    • The Colts will not have a TD in this game.
  2. 2. Will the Colts break 150 yards rushing today? (all players, not only RBs)

3. 3. Will the Colts defense hold the Texans to under 250 yards passing?

4. 4. Who wins?

• Colts
    • Texans
    • Game will end in a tie.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/08/2024 at 05:15 PM

The two biggest issues to me in this game are 1) the Texans/Stroud high competition % combined with the high yards per attempt indicates they are operating way too efficiently

offensively. I don’t know what the counter is here because I don’t think our secondary can keep all their weapons in check and not get burnt.

2) Richardson/Colts inaccuracy with the intermediate pass routes.  I have a feeling this is going be an issue all year.  Steichen is going have to use Taylor and the running game more to take less exposure to this facet of the offense.  

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I didn't realize the rule either but I thought the clock should have kept running since they ruled it a completion. I wasn't sure because the REFS stopped it for a review.

Usually the refs give an indication that the clock will resume… when he didn’t I just assumed they wouldn’t. I can 100% see why Ryans thought the same. 

Just now, RollerColt said:

lol… Bryce Young is losing 30-0 against the Saints. 

It could always be worse. We could be the Panthers.

The stink of frank lingers… 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

It’s not… 

Also, Bengals are losing to the Patriots 10-0…

I saw that. What is going on with the Bengals! Over 40% of Survival Pool players selected the Bengals. Hope they win.

Just now, richard pallo said:

First half Texans look like a very good team.  Colts only one scoring play.  Look very ordinary.  Out coached but mostly outplayed in the first half.  We need to control the ball in the 2nd half.  Defense can’t be on the field so much.  

No coincidence when JT is involved we looked better.

• Like 2

Just now, RollerColt said:

lol… Bryce Young is losing 30-0 against the Saints. 

It could always be worse. We could be the Panthers.

That’s Colts’ fans thinking since Luck walked. We aren’t good but we could be worse🤣

Just now, colts89 said:

Not bad all things considered tbh. The Texans are a tough first game and we're within 5 at the half.

I think Ryans kept us in the game by not taking the 3 to go up by 8, knowing that they get the ball first after the half - they could've really created some separation if they had scored just before and immediately after halftime. 

BTW for as much as people are knocking AR for inaccuracies, his receivers need to help him a bit. Pretty much the only player who has caught a hard pass is Pierce. Pittman is being paid 25M... he needs to make that catch on the 3d down. It wasn't an easy ball to catch... but he did catch it... and then let it go. Granson slips on a crosser and it leads to INT...

Richardson is not at a point of his career where he will carry this team... his pass-catchers need to help him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IinD said:

I need some motivation y'all.. this half has got me way to anxious and I'm usually calm..

Yeah.. very much a let down.. we should've had that other TD.. it's so sickening why we let our moods swing so much for a sports game.. but it's probably because my pop Warner team got destroyed this morning too. Football is just annoying 🤣

• Like 1

Just now, richard pallo said:

First half Texans look like a very good team.  Colts only one scoring play.  Look very ordinary.  Out coached but mostly outplayed in the first half.  We need to control the ball in the 2nd half.  Defense can’t be on the field so much.  

To me the game has been pretty even, they are only up by 5. We need to run more.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

If the refs hadn’t bungled that, it would’ve been 15. Not great but not terrible. But agree 7 points on offense is bad.

If AR hits the wide open receiver then we’re up or at least only down 1. Lots of missed opportunities.

if we had finished a couple sacks on third down it might be 0, but I digress.. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Imagine complaining about this defensive half… I couldn’t have asked for more. We aren’t beating the Texans ever scoring 7 points a half. If you believe the defense is the problem this game, I’m not sure what to tell you. 

i agree defense is doing good, offense needs more short passes catch and run.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

BTW for as much as people are knocking AR for inaccuracies, his receivers need to help him a bit. Pretty much the only player who has caught a hard pass is Pierce. Pittman is being paid 25M... he needs to make that catch on the 3d down. It wasn't an easy ball to catch... but he did catch it... and then let it go. Granson slips on a crosser and it leads to INT...

Richardson is not at a point of his career where he will carry this team... his pass-catchers need to help him. 

Richardson would be fine as a junior at Florida, which is what his experience justifies. But these opponents are a few cuts above most SEC teams.

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

So far, the secondary looks about as bad as expected.

The Texans' WR group is really good, so them struggling is to be expected to a degree. Hopefully they can settle in and keep getting better as the game and season progresses.

3 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

The stink of frank lingers… 

Has nothing to do with Frank and everything to do with Tepper. That team is doomed unless he adopts a more hands off approach.

• Like 2

Just now, azcolt said:

Richardson would be fine as a junior at Florida, which is what his experience justifies. But these opponents are a few cuts above most SEC teams.

I mean, there's no doubt AR needs reps. Everyone with half a mind knew that. This is not the Colts' year. This is the year for giving AR those snaps.

• Like 3

I am more concerned about Mixon getting whatever he wants in the middle of the Colts defense running than the secondary.  We knew going in the secondary was questionable at best.  The run stopping middle of the defense was supposed to be a strength.

• Like 1

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I am more concerned about Mixon getting whatever he wants in the middle of the Colts defense running than the secondary.  We knew going in the secondary was questionable at best.  The run stopping middle of the defense was supposed to be a strength.

Agree.

They need to operate in 3rd and long, thats the only way

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

Steichen has to do too…give some RB screens, some more help from scheme to get more open looks. Their goal is to just man up our WRs for the most part.

1 minute ago, Shive said:

The Texans' WR group is really good, so them struggling is to be expected to a degree. Hopefully they can settle in and keep getting better as the game and season progresses.

Sure, but our secondary will face these guys for the next decade. They need to be able to handle them or Ballard needs to get guys who can. Our defensive plays this game have mostly materialized because our Dline got pressure. The secondary needs to be able to handle their part of the job.

• Like 2

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I think we are letting them have the easy runs up the gut, in effort to limit the intermediate passing game of the texans.

The most encouraging thing is... even when Richardson makes inaccurate throws/overthrows... he actually reads the game and makes the right decisions. That overthrow to Mitchell would have been an amazing pre-snap adjustment followed by post snap adjustment and great decision ... if only he didn't overthrow it. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Steichen has to do too…give some RB screens, some more help from scheme to get more open looks. Their goal is to just man up our WRs for the most part.

I think Steichen is doing a good job. 

• Like 3

Just now, stitches said:

The most encouraging thing is... even when Richardson makes inaccurate throws/overthrows... he actually reads the game and makes the right decisions. That overthrow to Mitchell would have been an amazing pre-snap adjustment followed by post snap adjustment and great decision ... if only he didn't overthrow it. 

It's a lot like Luck his first year. He overthrew his guys as well even if it was obvious he knew what he was doing in there.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I mean, there's no doubt AR needs reps. Everyone with half a mind knew that. This is not the Colts' year. This is the year for giving AR those snaps.

We gotta run the ball more eventionally Taylor will break one plus the 1 drive they did run produced the 60 yarder to pierce.

• Like 1