Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Tracking Colts releases at cutdown

CR91

4 hours ago, Superman said:

I wonder if Taven Bryan gets cut to make room for Womack.

I doubt it. Didn't LOS get new turf this year? Need somebody heavy lying flat on their back to help pack it down. Great candidate for that

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sarcasm aside, it certainly raises my eyebrows….   Perhaps we wanted him back and he said no?   Maybe he wants to pick a different team with more opportunity?   It’s not clear, but it certainly got my attention.   

I think our current PS is now 11, so there is still room for 5 more.   Worth watching. 

I don't think a rookie free agent that was cut gets to "pick" his team. It's the other way around...teams pick him. In Abraham's situation, no other team has signed him yet.

23 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I call for an immediate investigation into Destin Adams. That boy's been spying on the Colts for his beloved Titans? 

aziz ansari snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I looked Destin up on his FB page several weeks ago after seeing his negative twisted Colts headlines. His bio said he was a Titans reporter with no mention of the Colts. I ripped him a couple times over his Colts headlines and content.

And yes now I see his bio says Colts with no mention of the Titans.

Anyway, he has found his way to get clicks. Not a fan.

5 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

I like that scouting reports on Womack say his strength is in pass coverage, not run support. The Colts have loaded up on big DBs known for being stronger in run support than pass coverage in college. 

He got beat out by Rock ya Sin.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Same. Long season so crazy things can happen, but I think it's safe to say we'll most likely have him on the team again for next season. 

Good news. Him here being in our offense is a wise career decision.

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I don't think a rookie free agent that was cut gets to "pick" his team. It's the other way around...teams pick him. In Abraham's situation, no other team has signed him yet.

I’m only suggesting the kid may have had multiple offers.  Im also suggesting the Colts may have had some interest, and the fact that he’s not with the Colts today may not be indicative that we didn’t want him back.  

I know none of this.  I’m only suggesting that it’s possible.   That’s all.  

• Like 2

I don’t get all the love for Abraham.  He made one play in a preseason game that stood out.  That’s supposed to get him a spot?  What about all the plays we are not seeing.  Maybe he’s losing more in practice.  If he really stuck out like Tucker he would be on the team.  He obviously didn’t and no one claimed him on waivers.  That should tell you something.  On to Houston.  

54 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So Baker, one if the most unpopular corner’s we’ve ever had,  has been cut.  Finally his “fan club” can rejoice and there can be peace throughout Colts Nation.   :peek:

Until he signs onto our P.S. tomorrow.....

55 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So Baker, one if the most unpopular corner’s we’ve ever had,  has been cut.  Finally his “fan club” can rejoice and there can be peace throughout Colts Nation.   :peek:

There will never be peace in this place… 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t know if he saying that because he did keep six of the nine rookies they drafted including the top six picks.  Late round draft picks getting released is the norm on deep teams.  Also, unless you just find a hidden gem, which is very rare in the late rounds, those aren’t the guys who are going to push you over the top to a Super Bowl team.  That’s guy likes Latu and Mitchell who he not only kept but will probably both be starters.  

I do think he’s saying they were a legit franchise QB away from being a playoff team and maybe division champions and since they were in position to do that last year with a backup until the last game of the season that’s legit view point.  Once you get to the playoffs learning to win those types of games is a very different beast.  Right now I think he’s saying last year’s team is good enough to get the Colts to the dance with a legit franchise QB which I think is a fair opinion to have.

I hear ya.... I guess what I am saying in my sideways skeptical way.... (generality alert) it doesn't appear to be a very balanced team build approach . He, some might say, hyper-focused on WR the last few years, now thats a strength, he focused on D-Line that is a strength, he focused on the O-line some would argue that is a strength, but everywhere else seems to be plug and play. I know you cant fix it all, I understand you can't have superstars everywhere, but it just "SEEMS" to be an ultra focus on a (fill in the blank) position group each year without an over arching balanced approach to team building. Hey I m a Colts fan I hope it works, I am just flying my skeptical but hopeful flag :)  I dont think I recall any previous GM here build in this way....at least not one that comes to mind....... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I don’t get all the love for Abraham.  He made one play in a preseason game that stood out.  That’s supposed to get him a spot?  What about all the plays we are not seeing.  Maybe he’s losing more in practice.  If he really stuck out like Tucker he would be on the team.  He obviously didn’t and no one claimed him on waivers.  That should tell you something.  On to Houston.  

My personal issue with the whole thing is not that Abraham (or even Jaylin Simpson) didn't make the team, it's more that since Ballard rarely uses FA to supplement the draft, he has to be extremely accurate in the draft. So when 3 late round draft picks are released before the season begins (two at a weak position like CB), then it hurts the Colts more than most other teams. 

We got Samuel Womack in exchange for Baker and it's probably a good move, but the reality is we lost both our CBs we drafted already, and a CB that was temporarily kept over both of them before waivers came in. That's a -2 loss on the position if we don't sign either back to the practice squad (which it doesn't look like we will). 

Again, it's more of the fact of the unnecessary pressure Ballard puts on himself in the draft combined with his personal beliefs as a GM and it makes even the simplest mistakes look like a big weakness at whatever position we happen to miss on. The secondary could easily be better than it is and it's a shame what we have going into the season right now. Maybe we sign a veteran that was released? We'll see. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I got to say our lack of activity on the waiver wire is kind of disappointing.

What happens when we are at 15, most of the talent is combed through pretty thoroughly at that point. The only person I feel like we could have dropped off the roster was Taven, but not sure if there were a lot of other players that would have been beneficial to bring in.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

My personal issue with the whole thing is not that Abraham (or even Jaylin Simpson) didn't make the team, it's more that since Ballard rarely uses FA to supplement the draft, he has to be extremely accurate in the draft. So when 3 late round draft picks are released before the season begins (two at a weak position like CB), then it hurts the Colts more than most other teams. 

We got Samuel Womack in exchange for Baker and it's probably a good move, but the reality is we lost both our CBs we drafted already, and a CB that was temporarily kept over both of them before waivers came in. That's a -2 loss on the position if we don't sign either back to the practice squad (which it doesn't look like we will). 

Again, it's more of the fact of the unnecessary pressure Ballard puts on himself in the draft combined with his personal beliefs as a GM and it makes even the simplest mistakes look like a big weakness at whatever position we happen to miss on. The secondary could easily be better than it is and it's a shame what we have going into the season right now. Maybe we sign a veteran that was released? We'll see. 

Im not sure I understand the fuss of leaving 3 of the late picks off the active roster. They had 9 picks. So 6 players drafted this year made the 53 man roster following a year of retaining all but a handful of players, and we’re concerned and fussing about 3 late draft picks. The waiver pickups make it even more less of a fuss to me- they clearly value players more than those 3 that were drafted… So if the 6 that are on the roster turn into an incredible class this year and moving forward, are we going to even remember those that didn’t make the roster? I just don’t get the attention it’s getting. Some teams didn’t even draft 6 players this year… 

what is most interesting is that the players we kept were all roughly in the top 150, which several analysts were saying was where the draft fell off this year. I trust the front office’s evaluations on that- this could have been a really poor bottom part of the draft and a longshot to get anyone to stick, so they tested some unique players.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

We can hit it again tomorrow on players cut today and those cut today made 53 man roster yesterday so higher quality.

• Like 1

I didn’t listen to Ballard’s entire press conference but I believe I heard him say teams called him on Freeland and Goncalves and he also made calls on certain players he was interested in but nothing came of it.  So to think Ballard was content in only waiver wire pickups does not appear to be the case.

2 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Did the Colts pick up anyone?

My team did not pick up anyone on the waiver wire. Everyone on our roster and PS are players who were in camp with us. We lost 3 players -- one was claimed and two signed with other teams to join their practice squads.

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

My team did not pick up anyone on the waiver wire. Everyone on our roster and PS are players who were in camp with us. We lost 3 players -- one was claimed and two signed with other teams to join their practice squads.

Yeah a cb from the Niners. Womack.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Colts picked up a smallish corner named Samuel Womack from San Fran. 

Ballard says they liked him back in college.  

Added they’re always looking to upgrade if they can. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

7 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Yeah a cb from the Niners. Womack.

Thank you!

Would Ballard give a draft pick for some Vikings players:

Judd Zulgad and Darren Wolfson have reported that the Vikings are shopping (CB) Akayleb Evans and (LB) Brian Asamoah II.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hearing he was almost picked by Colts with pick 159 in 2022 club finally chose Eric Johnson who was released same time Womack was picked up so a true redo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Im not sure I understand the fuss of leaving 3 of the late picks off the active roster. They had 9 picks. So 6 players drafted this year made the 53 man roster following a year of retaining all but a handful of players, and we’re concerned and fussing about 3 late draft picks. The waiver pickups make it even more less of a fuss to me- they clearly value players more than those 3 that were drafted… So if the 6 that are on the roster turn into an incredible class this year and moving forward, are we going to even remember those that didn’t make the roster? I just don’t get the attention it’s getting. Some teams didn’t even draft 6 players this year… 

what is most interesting is that the players we kept were all roughly in the top 150, which several analysts were saying was where the draft fell off this year. I trust the front office’s evaluations on that- this could have been a really poor bottom part of the draft and a longshot to get anyone to stick, so they tested some unique players.

is that right , one third of ballards 2024 draft picks did not make the team ?

19 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

is that right , one third of ballards 2024 draft picks did not make the team ?

That is correct. The bottom third of the draft, which was reportedly very weak. Can you imagine if they hadn't drafted 6 players in the top 150? That would be a tough draft, but since they retained 6 players (which is what several teams drafted entirely), it's not going to be a big deal. It should not be, and will not be a year from now. 

Or put it a different way... Can you imagine if they had retained them all, and the 3 that were cut ended up being absolute wastes of roster spots? Would that be smart roster management?