Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ARs stats this season

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

I just want to see him make it through the entire season 

Everything else is gravy

Health, without a doubt. Show us you can get through a season. Don't need world beating play but would love to see some growth.

Isn't it kind of crazy to think about the last time we had a QB start/play a full season? Who was it Rivers or Wentz? I know Rivers played the full season but I feel like I remember Wentz getting his ankles hurt or COVID and having to sit out. 

Haven't had QB continuity in back-to-back years in forever either. Can't even count this year with AR.

I've had this gnawing thought on AR since last year. He's a humble, role model kind of guy. Someone to cheer for. But..The staff has propped him up as this "freak of nature". True, his combine numbers were evidence of that. But AR has publicly stated "they say I'm a freak of nature". The hype around all that doesn't feel like its helping AR. I'm sure there's other productive "coaching" going on behind the scenes everyday haven't seen. Idk, I'm doing a poor job of explaining this thought but it just feels like there is too much talk and not enough action going on up to this point. Like for example, QB Bo Nix for Denver came out the gate like a man on a mission. He looked prepared, confident and played fast. Only had a few months to learn a new offense. AR looked slow and indecisive, has had a couple regular season starts and an off season in same offense. Its only a small sample size but I want to see walking the talk.. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I just want to see him make it through the entire season 

Everything else is gravy

I agree with that but if so he can easily have

3000 plus yards passing

500 plus running

5 TDs running

30 plus Passing TDs

That's MVP numbers just saying. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

I've had this gnawing thought on AR since last year. He's a humble, role model kind of guy. Someone to cheer for. But..The staff has propped him up as this "freak of nature". True, his combine numbers were evidence of that. But AR has publicly stated "they say I'm a freak of nature". The hype around all that doesn't feel like its helping AR. I'm sure there's other productive "coaching" going on behind the scenes everyday haven't seen. Idk, I'm doing a poor job of explaining this thought but it just feels like there is too much talk and not enough action going on up to this point. Like for example, QB Bo Nix for Denver came out the gate like a man on a mission. He looked prepared, confident and played fast. Only had a few months to learn a new offense. AR looked slow and indecisive, has had a couple regular season starts and an off season in same offense. Its only a small sample size but I want to see walking the talk.. 

He's to be the franchise QB, so he's going to get some level of hype and excitement. But it's a bit much, especially when we just don't know if he's actually going to be that guy yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

He's to be the franchise QB, so he's going to get some level of hype and excitement. But it's a bit much, especially when we just don't know if he's actually going to be that guy yet.

I agree. Heck he may not even pan out and we could be qb shopping again in A couple of years. I hope that’s not the case but……

• Like 2

On 8/14/2024 at 12:36 PM, Patrick Miller said:

I agree. Heck he may not even pan out and we could be qb shopping again in A couple of years. I hope that’s not the case but……

I mean...he's an outlier as a QB prospect. He's an elite athlete like we've never seen, but he has less experience than we have seen (relative to nearly all other early QBs in the draft) and his accuracy was worse than just about every other recent R1 QB. Josh Allen and Lamar were able to overcome this, but AR has to improve even beyond what they did.

His rushing ability makes him so dynamic. But there's a catch. He has a fairly large injury history across HS, college and a few games into the NFL: two shoulder injuries, two concussions, a torn meniscus and hamstring issues. All of that happened in less than 25 starts at QBs, which isn't even two seasons in the NFL.

And to use this dynamic skill, he will be exposed to a lot more contact.

So the Colts are banking on him makings big improvement as a passer AND staying healthy (when he really hasn't been able to). If you had to bet on his outcome, the most likely outcome would be that he doesn't make it.

But like you, I hope that is not the case. Do not want to go through the QB shuffle again. But the risk is there because the Colts drafted one of the riskier QB prospects in recent memory. If it doesn't work, it won't be bad luck...that's for sure.

• Like 3

I look at it like this:

How many 300yd games will he have this year? How many redzone passes? How often is he running in the red/orange area?

I think he passes for < league avg yards but there's a good chance he is above league avg in TDs (passing and rushing).

All that matters is Ws, and the young man's health and growth. I'm looking for discernible growth. Break the season into quarters and see how he does each step. That's just me though, not overly worried about his numbers this year. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2024 at 12:36 PM, Patrick Miller said:

You have been saying this since he was drafted. It seems that every post you write about him is casting doubt on him. Why not expect the best? He is your QB. He is young. Cheer him on.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2024 at 7:34 PM, Colt.45 said:

I look at it like this:

How many 300yd games will he have this year? How many redzone passes? How often is he running in the red/orange area?

I think he passes for < league avg yards but there's a good chance he is above league avg in TDs (passing and rushing).

All that matters is Ws, and the young man's health and growth. I'm looking for discernible growth. Break the season into quarters and see how he does each step. That's just me though, not overly worried about his numbers this year. 

I agree. If the coaches let him play (make great plays as well as make mistakes), he will grow and play well. It seems that fans won't allow him the same mistakes that other QBs in Colts history were allowed to make.

Let the kid play.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NFLfan said:

You have been saying this since he was drafted. It seems that every post you write about him is casting doubt on him. Why not expect the best? He is your QB. He is young. Cheer him on.

Because I just don’t see it yet. Gut feeling says we’ll be looking for another qb in 2-3 years. I hope I’m wrong.  I  hope he pans out…. and of course I’ll cheer for whomever wears the shoe but that’s they way I see it right now. I’ve got my fingers crossed….

• Like 1

I'll say the same thing I said last year around this time, which is that the OC needs to avoid selling out his legs to keep the chains moving.  He's got the size and run threat to move the chains but if you overdo that then he's gonna get hurt and/or reduce his longevity.  The QB's who play until they're 40 are the ones who utilize the pocket protections.  So the goal for this season should be to get him to run the offense from the pocket as much as possible.

When you need to get him in space use boots and get him on the move, but the goal should be him throwing it downfield not running for first downs unless it is him taking what is there and sliding.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Because I just don’t see it yet. Gut feeling says we’ll be looking for another qb in 2-3 years. I hope I’m wrong.  I  hope he pans out…. and of course I’ll cheer for whomever wears the shoe but that’s they way I see it right now. I’ve got my fingers crossed….

I hope he does well, but think he is a Justin Fields. He will make some spectacular plays, but miss the routine ones needed to keep the drives alive. I will root for him, but not expecting him to be the quarterback most expect him to be. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Do you write about it with every player that you "don't see it yet"? You seem to write about your doubts about AR all the time. And it does not help to dispel these thoughts when the coaches won't let him play.

I will trade you Sam Darnold for AR straight up. Darnold was a #2 or #3 pick.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Do you write about it with every player that you "don't see it yet"? You seem to write about your doubts about AR all the time. And it does not help to dispel these thoughts when the coaches won't let him play.

I will trade you Sam Darnold for AR straight up. Darnold was a #2 or #3 pick.

Well he is the most important cog in the machine. That’s why he gets the most attention. When/if Richardson puts my doubts to rest I’ll post his praises as well.  I’d pass on the darnold trade. He is a proven bust and is lucky to be starting for the Vikings. 

35 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Well he is the most important cog in the machine. That’s why he gets the most attention. When/if Richardson puts my doubts to rest I’ll post his praises as well.  I’d pass on the darnold trade. He is a proven bust and is lucky to be starting for the Vikings. 

I'm optimistic. I think Darnold will play better than most expect. Same for AR, barring injury, of course.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Well, this is Darnolds Chance to show he can do it. Who is his back up?

Nick Mullens and Jaren Hall. Yeah, Darnold has not lightened up the sky in any game in my memory, he seems to have hit the ceiling, and is good to get some 7 wins. Vikings lost one year of evaluating McCarthy, just like Colts and are in same situation.

But, AR's ceiling could be high. I agree with you, you wanna see AR dispel the doubts and show either his ceiling or consistent high level play to be sure he's the franchise QB. Vikings will hope to do the same with McCarthy next year.

• Like 2

On 8/14/2024 at 11:03 AM, SOMDColtsfan said:

Difference is AR is coming back from a shoulder surgery and he hasn't played a football game since Oct 8th 2023. He's rusty, and had very few attempts to get in any sort of rhythm.

17 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

I hope he does well, but think he is a Justin Fields. He will make some spectacular plays, but miss the routine ones needed to keep the drives alive. I will root for him, but not expecting him to be the quarterback most expect him to be. 

He is actually quite good already at the routine throws. He surprised at it. 

5 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Hopefully high in the only stat that matters- the win column. 

I don't think some of the fans will be happy with that. They want to see lots of passing yards, passing TDs, and low number of INTs. There are a lot of fans who will be unhappy with running TDs, even if they lead to wins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I don't think some of the fans will be happy with that. They want to see lots of passing yards, passing TDs, and low number of INTs. There are a lot of fans who will be unhappy with running TDs, even if they lead to wins.

that’s ridiculous. Whatever he can do to show he can stay healthy, win football games and grow as a quarterback. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Some posters tend to project their own angst in their posts, so I agree. As I stated above, I just want to see him make it through 17 games, hopefully a playoff game or two, and just keep progressing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

that’s ridiculous. Whatever he can do to show he can stay healthy, win football games and grow as a quarterback. 

I think it is ridiculous too but check out some of these posts.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

This is actually sad but true. When we were 5-2 with Brissett, people were hating on him because he wasn't throwing for a lot of Yards and TD's. I just want to win to me winning is the main objective and it should be. I would rather win and have AR throw for 175 yards with only 1 passing TD and 1 running TD, than lose and have him throw for 300 Yards and 3 TD's.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I think it is ridiculous too but check out some of these posts.

Oh I know. League is rigged, Ballard doesn’t care, Colts aren’t interested in winning. It’s a funny place sometimes. 

just win baby. I think AR gives us the best chance we’ve had in a minute. The development and growth of the team will sort itself out if we’re winning.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2024 at 9:03 AM, SOMDColtsfan said:

The role of a quarterback in the NFL is an evolving role - from being just one part of a (hopefully winning) team, to a remarkable player in that role. You have to get to the first part before you ever become the second - if ever. It is mistaken expectations to think you can come into a team, and immediately be a superstar. Even Patrick Mahomes went through those phases, but he did it rather quickly. Peyton Manning took a lot longer. A lot depends upon the players and coaches around him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachLite said:

The role of a quarterback in the NFL is an evolving role - from being just one part of a (hopefully winning) team, to a remarkable player in that role. You have to get to the first part before you ever become the second - if ever. It is mistaken expectations to think you can come into a team, and immediately be a superstar. Even Patrick Mahomes went through those phases, but he did it rather quickly. Peyton Manning took a lot longer. A lot depends upon the players and coaches around him.

Agree 

13 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I just want him to stay healthy, and do enough to help the team win games. We don't need him to be Superman at the moment. If it comes to that, it's hopefully because he's developed into a star player with a fantastic supporting cast that had to make hard choices in roster management. 

For now, having a good completion percentage, low amount of sacks and turnovers will be a good place to start. 

• Like 2

On 8/14/2024 at 11:06 AM, tfunky14 said:

I agree with that but if so he can easily have

3000 plus yards passing

500 plus running

5 TDs running

30 plus Passing TDs

That's MVP numbers just saying. 

I'm afraid he may also lead the league in INT's.

15 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Oh I know. League is rigged, Ballard doesn’t care, Colts aren’t interested in winning. It’s a funny place sometimes. 

just win baby. I think AR gives us the best chance we’ve had in a minute. The development and growth of the team will sort itself out if we’re winning.

I must have missed something because you cannot believe the bolded part,