Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts and free agent Justin Simmons have had exploratory conversations

Keep in mind this is the same source who said Sneed to the Colts was a done deal.  Take this with a grain of salt.  Also exploratory conversations could very well be just a phone call to ask what price someone is looking for.  That happens all the time and isn’t really news.

With that said I’d love Simmons signing here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Also exploratory conversations could very well be just a phone call to ask what price someone is looking for.

“Is Justin interested in playing in Indianapolis?” 

“Is Indianapolis interested in paying Justin?” 

how I envision the beginning of an exploratory conversation… 

• Like 1

Nothing to see here. Just more speculation. I've said a bunch of times now. Ballard won't make a move until he sees Cross, Thomas, and Harrison in the pre-season 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

“Is Justin interested in playing in Indianapolis?” 

“Is Indianapolis interested in paying Justin?” 

how I envision the beginning of an exploratory conversation… 

Like Gilmore, I could see Ballard paying Simmons $10M per on a 2 year deal.

IF, the coaching staff is pumped big time with the teams prospects.

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Like Gilmore, I could see Ballard paying Simmons $10M per on a 2 year deal.

IF, the coaching staff is pumped big time with the teams prospects.

That's 40% of our cap space for 2025.

Current:

2025 Cap Space $30m

2024 Cap Space $25m(probably $20m at cut down/practice squad) 

2025 Cap Space with rollover(We'll go $20m): $50m

Now sign Simmons to 2yr $20m deal

2024 Cap Space Remaining:$10m to rollover

2025 Cap Space Remaining:$20m w/o rollover

2025 Cap Space: $30m w/ $10m rollover

So signing Simmons to a 2yr $20m contract takes our cap space from $50m next season to $30m.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Where is $10m/year coming from? That would make him tied with Amani Hooker as the 13th highest paid safety in the league. Quandre Diggs just signed with the Titans for one year, $3m, with incentives that apparently take it to $5m. There was a significant market correction for safeties this offseason. Why would Simmons have a market that pays him 2-3 times more than Diggs got, and why would he expect that in August? 

I don't know if there's reporting out there saying that's what he was looking for, or if people are just pulling this number out of nowhere. I don't see it happening. I could be wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Where is $10m/year coming from? That would make him tied with Amani Hooker as the 13th highest paid safety in the league. Quandre Diggs just signed with the Titans for one year, $3m, with incentives that apparently take it to $5m. There was a significant market correction for safeties this offseason. Why would Simmons have a market that pays him 2-3 times more than Diggs got, and why would he expect that in August? 

I don't know if there's reporting out there saying that's what he was looking for, or if people are just pulling this number out of nowhere. I don't see it happening. I could be wrong.

I don't really see that figure being out there either. I do suspect Simmons is probably looking for at least that though. Which is probably why he is still unsigned.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, w87r said:

I don't really see that figure being out there either. I do suspect Simmons is probably looking for at least that though. Which is probably why he is still unsigned.

It would also make him the Colts 10th highest paid player. For a guy who has never worked with this staff, and skipped the entire offseason. I just don't see it. 

I'd love to him have him playing FS for us, I think he's pretty good and can still play. But I'm not holding my breath for him in general, but especially not at that amount.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

It would also make him the Colts 10th highest paid player. For a guy who has never worked with this staff, and skipped the entire offseason. I just don't see it. 

I'd love to him have him playing FS for us, I think he's pretty good and can still play. But I'm not holding my breath for him in general, but especially not at that amount.

Yeah like I listed above 

A 2yr deal at that, is 40% of our projected available cap in 2025.

Even a 1yr deal at that, takes 20% of 2025 projected cap.

Clearly we know there are plenty of ways to free up money, but 

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

You think he’ll get less than $10m/year?

Not sure if this is mentioned or where to put it, but Caden Sterns was claimed by the Panthers off waivers. So that option is gone. Ballard had no chance to get him from the Panthers here because of the waiver order. So even though I have no idea whether we put in a claim at this time for him, I'm not blaming Ballard for this one, just reporting that Sterns was claimed by the Panthers and he's off the board for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, w87r said:

That's 40% of our cap space for 2025.

2025 Cap Space $30m

2024 Cap Space $25m(probably $20m at cut down/practice squad) 

2025 Cap Space with rollover(We'll go $20m): $50m

Now sign Simmons to 2yr $20m deal

2024 Cap Space Remaining:$10m to rollover

2025 Cap Space Remaining:$20m w/o rollover

2025 Cap Space: $30m w/ $10m rollover

So signing Simmons to a 2yr $20m contract takes our cap space from $50m next season to $30m.

And with some notable FAs next season: 

Ryan Kelly, C (32)

Will Fries, G (27) 

Joe Flacco, QB (40)

Julian Blackmon, S (26) 

E.J. Speed, LB (29)

Dayo Odeyingbo, Edge (25) 

there’s no way you sign Simmons to that kind of money. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I'd say his market is around $5m, maybe slightly more. I think Diggs just solidified that. 

Wow really? I have no idea what his value is to be honest, but his last contract was $15m aav I believe and he can still play. 

9 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Ryan Kelly, C (32)

Will Fries, G (27) 

Joe Flacco, QB (40)

Julian Blackmon, S (26) 

E.J. Speed, LB (29)

There's plenty of ways to free up money if need be, but not sure I see it. Wouldn't mind Simmons, but I think there are plenty other FA options(much cheaper), that could come in and make an impact if Cross and Thomas don't workout. Sounding like Thomas is in jeopardy at the moment? 

22 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The Horseshoe Huddle podcast is reporting tonight that the Colts and Simmons are in talks that have progressed well beyond the initial mutual interest stage.

Hopefully he signs. That would be huge.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Hopefully he signs. That would be huge.

What do you like about him? Serious question. I don't know him well. Do you think he is a difference maker?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What do you like about him? Serious question. I don't know him well. Do you think he is a difference maker?

I mean, he’s definitely made a name for himself by picking off Mahomes 5 times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

He got more INTs Vs Mahomes than any other defender. I believe 5. He's a playmaker and can defend really well. The only downside is his age (I believe he's 30), but he can be had on a 1-year deal IMO to build his value up and help develop the kids. 

6 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I mean, he’s definitely made a name for himself by picking off Mahomes 5 times. 

You beat me to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yoshinator said:

He got more INTs Vs Mahomes than any other defender. I believe 5. He's a playmaker and can defend really well. The only downside is his age (I believe he's 30), but he can be had on a 1-year deal IMO to build his value up and help develop the kids. 

You beat me to it.

Okay. If the Colts are ready to win now, then it will be a good signing. If not, I don't like it. (Not that my opinion matters. 😂) I am not a fan of signing older free agents (ages 30+) from other teams, especially if they are high-priced guys. I have a Ballard approach to free agency. I don't like throwing around money to the biggest names out there. JMO

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Okay. If the Colts are ready to win now, then it will be a good signing. If not, I don't like it. (Not that my opinion matters. 😂) I am not a fan of signing older free agents (ages 30+) from other teams, especially if they are high-priced guys. I have a Ballard approach to free agency. I don't like throwing around money to the biggest names out there. JMO

Well, he’s the only decent remaining FS out there and he’s good. The Colts badly need a FS; this guy fits the bill perfectly. Under these circumstances, you sign the guy. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Well, he’s the only decent remaining FS out there and he’s good. The Colts badly need a FS; this guy fits the bill perfectly. Under these circumstances, you sign the guy. 

Thanks.

Why do you think he has not signed anywhere yet? Just wondering.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks.

Why do you think he has not signed anywhere yet? Just wondering.

I think there are several reasons why he’s still unsigned. 
1. He’s been waiting for the market to shake out. It finally has. 
2. He wants to be a starter and that requires a clear opening that often can’t be known until after training camp starts.

3. The bubble burst for the Safety market in the NFL. Simmons was well paid before being released by Denver in a cost cutting move. He’s been waiting for a solid offer and likely priced himself out of several teams’ cap situations where he might have fit. 

4. He wants to play for a team that can win now. That takes a number of teams out of the discussion right there. 

The arrow certainly points to the Colts and Simmons joining forces. It’s a perfect fit. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Wow really? I have no idea what his value is to be honest, but his last contract was $15m aav I believe and he can still play. 

I think everything you just said applies about equally to Quandre Diggs, and we see the contract he just agreed to. They have different strengths and abilities, and Diggs is a few months older, but it’s hard to see Simmons getting 2-3 times what Diggs got. Jamal Adams is younger than both of them, and he got $1.3m. There was a backlog of available safeties, and those dominoes have started to fall, and I think the market has been revealed.

And again, I could obviously be wrong. I just think the market has spoken. 

I’m not super worried about it, either way. If the Colts wanted him enough to give him $10m/year, I think they would have done that months ago. It would be a significant statement, also, since they played hardball with Julian Blackmon and then signed him for about a third of that amount. Then to turn around and let an outside FA miss the entire offseason program, and now training camp, and then he shows up with no connection to the team and becomes the 10th highest paid player on the roster, tied for 4th highest paid defender? That doesn’t sound like something the Colts would do, right? If they did make that kind of splash signing, it would say a lot about their thoughts on a) the young guys they already have, and b) their expectations for 2024.

I could see them signing Simmons, but not at that rate. And I don’t think the market supports that rate, so I doubt he gets it from someone else. I guess we’ll see.

• Like 6

The addition of Simmons would be nice and make me feel more relaxed at the S position, but then I’m still worried about the depth! Especially at cb. If Baker Jr. Sees the field and plays like last year, that’s gonna be a big problem!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Ryan Kelly, C (32)

Will Fries, G (27) 

Joe Flacco, QB (40)

Julian Blackmon, S (26) 

E.J. Speed, LB (29)

This list of FAs is plenty manageable.