Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why is Ballard not improving his Secondary?

He has the money.  Is it because they were HIS draft picks and wants to prove a point?

Most things I read and listen to by the fans and sportscasters are that we are really weak in our secondary. So why not fix it?

I don't think the fans want to waste another year of not getting into the playoff and winning.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

He has the money.  Is it because they were HIS draft picks and wants to prove a point?

Most things I read and listen to by the fans and sportscasters are that we are really weak in our secondary. So why not fix it?

I don't think the fans want to waste another year of not getting into the playoff and winning. 

Explained Another 100 times in a dozen ways won't help getting it through to some. 

We know NOTHING about what is going on behind the scenes. ZERO Nada. 

What is known? There are whiners out there.

• Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

The common consensus is that he is either going to continue letting the young guns develop, or will wait until cut down days to pick up a released veteran.

47 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

The common consensus is that he is either going to continue letting the young guns develop, or will wait until cut down days to pick up a released veteran.

If the released veteran was good he wouldn’t be released. Not a good way to build the roster. 

47 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

If the released veteran was good he wouldn’t be released. Not a good way to build the roster. 

Hey I’m not saying it’s a good strategy, or that I agree with it. But that seems to be the options for reasoning why we’re rolling with this current group. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AustexColt said:

Because Ballard thinks his secondary is good enough?

2 hours ago, AustexColt said:

Because Ballard thinks his secondary is good enough?

• Like 1

The answer isn’t going to be the one people want to hear but it’s because he really means it when he says he likes the young guys.

you don’t have to agree with him on it (I don’t, especially at FS) to acknowledge that’s the reason.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

Sorry, but of all the possible reasons,  the player not being good is the weakest.   

Simmons was released because he was very expensive.   And Diggs is one of a flood of safeties who are still on the market.  They’re all waiting for an offer.  They’re waiting for a team to suffer an injury at safety and make them a better offer.  Some of these guys are still pretty good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AustexColt said:

Ballard is waiting for later in camp to see what he has or doesn’t have.   If his young players look good in camp, he might not bring someone in.   But if his kids under achieve, then Ballard could decide to bring someone in around the end of pre-season in late August. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

Simmons is in the 50's of this year's TOP 100. Chuckle you!

Your take is not a good one, should you be put on Ignore?

13 hours ago, AustexColt said:

Tired Michael Buble GIF by bubly

12 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

Absolutely not the case.   A lot of good players are let go on cut downs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

This is true.  Alot of good players are cut because their contracts are too big or in other words they become "cap casualties".

The team has cap issues and takes the cap hit and just wants to get younger and cheaper at that postion.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ADnum1 said:

This is true.  Alot of good players are cut because their contracts are too big or in other words they become "cap casualties".

The team has cap issues and takes the cap hit and just wants to get younger and cheaper at that postion.

If I’m not mistaken Kenny Moore was picked up from the Patriots at cutdown.  We could get lucky again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

This is true.  But I think the OP wants to know why Ballard hasn't signed one of the proven veterans.  I'm not sure who's still available at FS.  

I can't blame Ballard for wanting to look at what's in house right now.  But my question is - can you really  evaluate them based on practice and preseason games?  In practice, they know the receivers.  Preseason games are vanilla.

It would make sense to bring in a veteran FS, at least to compete.  Maybe one will pop up after cuts, but then there's a steep learning curve.

What still bothers me is that they thought they were good with Pryor and Pinter a couple years ago.  That was either stubborness or ignorance.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

Not always. Mike Mitchell is a prime example of this. Sometimes they’re passed up for younger, cheaper players 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

This is true.  But I think the OP wants to know why Ballard hasn't signed one of the proven veterans.  I'm not sure who's still available at FS.  

I can't blame Ballard for wanting to look at what's in house right now.  But my question is - can you really  evaluate them based on practice and preseason games?  In practice, they know the receivers.  Preseason games are vanilla.

It would make sense to bring in a veteran FS, at least to compete.  Maybe one will pop up after cuts, but then there's a steep learning curve.

What still bothers me is that they thought they were good with Pryor and Pinter a couple years ago.  That was either stubborness or ignorance.

it's stubborness, why do you think Ballard did the same thing year after year with .500 results? 

the hiring of Shane is what marked the changes. 

• Like 4

Why can't he wait and see how the guys we have work out? What is  use in drafting guys if you dont give them a chance.   

Maybe he will add someone or two.   But as of right now there isnt a rush      We are a month away from game day 

Just now, BProland85 said:

Short answer? He is too stubborn with the young unproven guys he drafts. Even when they haven’t shown to be the answer up to this point. 

I think he cut one of his draft picks last year at cut downs at the end of camp.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I think he cut one of his draft picks last year at cut downs at the end of camp.

yeah he'll cut draft picks every now and then, I think the point is that when he's committed to waiting he waits. 

21 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Why can't he wait and see how the guys we have work out? What is  use in drafting guys if you dont give them a chance.   

Maybe he will add someone or two.   But as of right now there isnt a rush      We are a month away from game day 

i think the problem is that we are watching a repeat of last year. 
the counterargument is that the "kids" have +1 year of exp. but do they? 

Brents barely played, and Jones exposed our FS situation. Because there was no one there each time he got beat. haha

and we are going into this season... with a very similar setup. 

ballard is banking on brents and Jones improving. I guess we have to see what happens in the first 2-4 games to see if it was a good choice or not. 

but it's not just fanatics on here complaining, fool me once shame on you. fool me twice...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Last season, too, the Colts defense benefited from a weak group of opposing quarterbacks in the second half of the season. 

image.png.216f47451f9079106b390584e8b118e0.png

from what I've heard we have one of, if not the easiest schedules this season based on last year win totals

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

This is Cross’s third year.  He either has it or not by now.  

But to answer your question, is it a good idea for OTJ training against Stroud and Love?

And this is the time they learn to play together.  Not a week before the real game.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, AKB said:

from what I've heard we have one of, if not the easiest schedules this season based on last year win totals

It looks, though, like the Colts will face a stronger group of quarterbacks in 2024, although it will get easier again as the season progresses. Some of the potentially tougher matchups include Week 1 C.J. Stroud, Week 2 Jordan Love, Week 3 Caleb Williams, Week 5 Trevor Lawrence, Week 7 Tua Tagovailoa, Week 10 Josh Allen, Week 12 Jared Goff, Week 18 Lawrence again, 

• Like 4

QBs our defensive backs will be facing this year:

Stroud x2

Lawrence x2

Levis x2

Love

Williams

Wilson

Tagovailoa

Darnold?

Allen

Rodgers

Goff

Brissett

Bo Nix

Jones

A pretty even mix of QBs this season. You've got Rodgers as the all time great in there. Allen, Love, Stroud, Lawrence, Tagovailoa and Goff all could have a field day against our backs. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I got it! 

Ballard was planted here by KC to internally dismantle the Colts from the inside out. 

giphy.webp

giphy.webp

Where's that laughing emoji when you need it?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The answer isn’t going to be the one people want to hear but it’s because he really means it when he says he likes the young guys.

you don’t have to agree with him on it (I don’t, especially at FS) to acknowledge that’s the reason.  

he can like his guys but if we drop games because of poor safety play then the flame on that seat will be scorching hot.  

All I can ask from him is to when/if the problem presents itself, be quick with the solution.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

he can like his guys but if we drop games because of poor safety play then the flame on that seat will be scorching hot.  

All I can ask from him is to when/if the problem presents itself, be quick with the solution.

With some here sure.  Will it with Irsay, whose is the only person’s voice who counts?  That remains to be seen.  

Again, I am not asking people to like his answer for why he’s not doing anything just understand that’s the answer he’s giving and he really means it.  It’s not a mystery as to why he’s not doing anything.  It’s just people not wanting to accept that’s the answer because they don’t like it.  

By no means am I saying it’s a lock to work.  I’ve expressed my concerns with his approach to FS especially.

20 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

Who would be the best vets to sign?  The consensus on the forum for the past few months has been either Justin Simmons or Quandre Diggs.  Hey here's a newsflash...both of these guys were released.  They were cap casualties.  Happens every single year.   So your comment is both lazy and simply not true.

22 hours ago, AustexColt said:

According to analysts and salary figures, the most important positions in the NFL today are quarterback, Edge Rusher (DE), wide receiver, offensive tackle, and cornerback. I thought Ballard and team weren't good enough at drafting or acquiring WRs (or QBs) until Steichen joined the team, and that has improved tremendously. I fear that he's still not good enough at drafting or acquiring CBs, and I wonder if he places a high enough priority on having cornerbacks who are among the team's best players. 

I think the young group they have will probably be okay - maybe league average even - but is okay really good enough at a premier position, trying to contain the best receivers in an increasingly passing-dominated league? JuJu Brents, a 2nd-round pick who played only half a season his rookie year seems promising. Jaylon Jones, despite Ballard's praise, seems like more of a question mark. A 7th-round pick who had mixed scouting reports (excellent size and run support, more questionable in pass coverage (https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Jaylon-Jones-DB-TexasAANDM) wasn't even an all-conference player in three years at Texas A&M and had mixed results in his rookie season for the Colts. Dallis Flowers, a 3rd-year player who was an undrafted signee, seems okay, but probably a low-ceiling player. 

Maybe these guys will improve significantly and pre-season concerns from fans like me will seem ridiculous. If not, I'll be hoping for a new DC who might help to bring a new approach to how the Colts address the cornerback position.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AustexColt said:

He has a lot of youth and he wants them to go through their growing pains as it will only make them better. I think at CB we are ok, i wasn’t really high on Jones starting but after I went back and looked at tape, he was extremely solid for a rookie. If Latu can bring the heat it will only help out our CBs. Now as for safety I think Simmons needs to be brought in one way or another. I think if we had a VERY consistent back end , guys you can trust to do their jobs then you can bank on them being a safety valve if our CBs do make a mistake. If you ask me a tandem of Simmons and J Black immediately gives us a top 5 safety Duo. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smittywerb said:

That busted coverage play against the Texans where Nico Collins went for like a 70+ touchdown would have been reason enough for me to bring in a vet safety. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Darius Rush? I was elated when we drafted him. Had high hopes but apparently Jones had a better camp. As soon as Rush hit the Practice Squad I knew he would get snatched up immediately.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Short answer? He is too stubborn with the young unproven guys he drafts. Even when they haven’t shown to be the answer up to this point. 

So when stuck with Richardson rather than bringing back Gardner or going to get another vet to compete with Richardson was he being too stubborn with the young unproven guy he drafted or was he putting faith in the guy he drafted for a reason?

Again not saying what Ballard did will work but these guys were drafted for a reason.  At some point you have to let them play or why are you drafting them?  For the record I think he needs to do something at safety but I kinda like the young guys at corner if they can stay healthy.