Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Select Laiatu Latu Edge UCLA

CR91

32 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm back and forth on whether they tried to trade out. I'm sure they would have considered a great offer that didn't require moving down more than 4-5 spots, but the only team that traded up was the Vikings, and they were all the way down at #23. 

But the fact that they could take their highest rated defender at #15 -- and this is the one situation where you know this isn't bogus GM speak, because he was literally the first defender off the board -- is probably exciting. They really lucked out, IMO. 

Here's the reason I think Ballard tried to trade back...I was watching the Pat Macafee live podcast coverage of the draft.  From what I saw, though I was also playing a game at the time and had the podcast playing on my phone, it seemed as though the Colts took quite a bit of time before handing in the selection.  

They wound up selecting the first defensive player and, according to ballard, one of their handful of players with an elite grade and the top defensive player on their board.  

All of that combined, to me, means he probably wanted to trade back but not very far.  I don't think he'd have even considered trading out of the first round like I saw a few people suggest.  I think it'd have been no more than 3-5 spots back where he could have still gotten one of their "elite players".  That's assuming of course that Latu wasn't the last remaining elite player left on their board.  However, if he were the last I'd think they'd have gotten their selection in much quicker.

• Like 2

You have to like having a 5th year option on a very expensive DE position.

Love this guy's TFL numbers.

While he was"Medically Retired: from Football:

“I go play rugby, though, two months after my surgery. Supposed to be a six-to-nine-month recovery but cuz I play rugby since 5th grade… that was just like a testimony to myself.”

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The Colts did wait a pretty long time before sending the pick to the podium.

thank you for confirming that.  I was playing Destiny 2 and watching (more listening) to the macafee podcast from my phone so, though it seemed like it took a while for them to get the pick in, I couldn't be totally sure. :) 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The Colts did wait a pretty long time before sending the pick to the podium.

I'm not sure when they officially turned the pick in, but there was video of them celebrating and Steichen talking on the phone with someone(I would guess with Latu) with about 4 minutes left on the clock if I'm not mistaken... then the clock dragged out until 1 or 2 minute something before they locked it in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'm not sure when they officially turned the pick in, but there was video of them celebrating and Steichen talking on the phone with someone(I would guess with Latu) with about 4 minutes left on the clock if I'm not mistaken... then the clock dragged out until 1 or 2 minute something before they locked it in. 

I was getting ready to say. Most likely for the phone calls and the with the next pick production. Pretty sure it happened last year too. 

As far as Latu and the draft, here is something from WalterFootball.com:

Yes, Penix. I believe this to be true: The coaches and general managers wanted Latu, but Arthur Blank overrode everyone because he wanted a “succession plan,” whatever the hell that is. And if you don’t think that’s possible, all I need to do is point to the Panthers last year when David “Axe” Tepper thought he knew more than his coaching staff and front office when he went against their wishes and selected Bryce Young over the preferred option, C.J. Stroud.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes, Penix. I believe this to be true: The coaches and general managers wanted Latu, but Arthur Blank overrode everyone because he wanted a “succession plan,” whatever the hell that is. And if you don’t think that’s possible, all I need to do is point to the Panthers last year when David “Axe” Tepper thought he knew more than his coaching staff and front office when he went against their wishes and selected Bryce Young over the preferred option, C.J. Stroud.

And that owner is the entire reason for why Penix could be a great QB, but be in the wrong situation. Several people on Rich Eisen’s show mentioned Michael should take a moment to think before signing with team, as picking up that 2nd contract is more lucrative. They question whether he will be able to prove his worth if he’s sitting behind Cousins. 

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

And that owner is the entire reason for why Penix could be a great QB, but be in the wrong situation. Several people on Rich Eisen’s show mentioned Michael should take a moment to think before signing with team, as picking up that 2nd contract is more lucrative. They question whether he will be able to prove his worth if he’s sitting behind Cousins. 

https://www.wbtv.com/2024/04/26/let-coach-gm-pick-panthers-owner-pays-charlotte-restaurant-surprise-visit-before-draft/

Big yikes on this dude...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, masterlock said:

Yeah... people are comparing him to TJ Watt... but IMO a better comp is a little less explosive Nick Bosa. 

size: 6'5" 266lbs vs 6'4" 266

length: 32'5/8" vs 33"

40: 4.64 vs 4.79

10: 1.62 vs 1.55 (in an interview Latu said he's actually been running the 10 at 1.57) 

Vertical: 32 vs 33.5

Broad: 9'8" vs 9'8"

3 cone: 7.09 vs 7.10

shuttle:  4.34 vs 4.14

They are incredibly similar in their measurements and testing ... and Latu IMO is quite possibly the most refined rusher since Bosa too... 

This is stylistic and physical/athletic comparison, not expectation for him to be as good as Nick Bosa, for the record. 

• Like 1

Not sure if listed somewhere or mentioned elsewhere. 

On NFL Network they said the Falcons were hot trying to trade up and get Latu from right before us or slide in a pick after us.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Are we finally accepting that tepper forced that move on everyone last year around here now?

I got all kinds of hell for bringing that up last fall after frank was fired in Carolina even though that story was out there almost as soon as the pick was made last year. I’m pretty sure someone even accused me of making the story up myself at one point, though to be fair that may have also been on Reddit because a very vocal few took exception to it over there as well. 

Season 4 Whatever GIF by The Office

I’m old enough to remember Freeney and Mathis screaming off the edge, so I’m excited about the pick, especially as I research him more. We have to get by Mahomes, Allen, Burrough etc in the playoffs and CJ twice a year and you beat those QBs by getting in their faces consistently. But it’s also perfectly reasonable to be concerned that, with literally ever defensive player available, Ballard chose the one who had neck fusion surgery a few years ago. Valid worry. 

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Not sure if listed somewhere or mentioned elsewhere. 

On NFL Network they said the Falcons were hot trying to trade up and get Latu from right before us or slide in a pick after us.

If only they had a draft pick they didn’t waste on a guy who isn’t going to play for at least three years before the Colts…

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Are we finally accepting that tepper forced that move on everyone last year around here now?

I got all kinds of hell for bringing that up last fall after frank was fired in Carolina even though that story was out there almost as soon as the pick was made last year. I’m pretty sure someone even accused me of making the story up myself at one point, though to be fair that may have also been on Reddit because a very vocal few took exception to it over there as well. 

Reddit is the absolute worst that the internet has to offer. I gave up trying make sense of that hellscape years ago. People think hive mind mentality is bad on this place, they should see how much worse it really is. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Reddit is the absolute worst that the internet has to offer. I gave up trying make sense of that hellscape years ago. People think hive mind mentality is bad on this place, they should see how much worse it really is. 

let me introduce you to Quora lol

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I pushed back on the Tepper forced the Bryce Young pick thing, and still do. That's because it comes with the assumption that Reich didn't want Bryce Young, which isn't substantiated. If you tell me that Tepper was heavily involved in the pick, I have no problem. It's when it goes to 'there's no way Reich wanted Young' that I ask for something other than your gut feeling to support that conclusion.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The Broncos -except for the glaring need at QB,  were also prepared to take Latu at #12- Shrager

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Egotistical psychopath. 

"Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted." -- Chapterhouse DUNE

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DattMavis said:

My wife and I are both 30, but we feel like old people. I don't get the sunglasses indoors, TikTok dances, or constant selfies in public, but oh well. I suppose my kids will have a leg up in the job market when they've practiced communication skills rather than the dance of the week! 😂

I have tennis shoes in my closet that are 30 years old.........   just sayin 

32 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

It came from WF.  He has his sources like anybody else, and I think he's pretty reputable.  He has his opinions, but they aren't without some deeper knowledge, IMO.  Believe him or not.  I tend to, especially when his comments explain something strange....

56 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I think it needs to be said after reading all the overreactions, ignore the medical for a second which to me is an non-issue since the guy has been healthy and productive the last two years and I'm more then confident the colts did their homework extensively to have him so high on their board, take away that this draft is top heavy with offensive talent and desperate QB teams, we're talking about a guy that talent-wise is a top 5 player that fell to 15. This isn't Kwity Paye or Turay, or Werner where your banking on traits instead of production. This is a proven pass rusher who's averaged 12 sacks the last two years after he was forced by Washington to retire to open a scholarship spot. Watch the kid play before passing judgement. That's all I ask.

Yep, definitely not Werner, Turay or Paye.
Ian Cummings - Pro Football Network - : "Latu is an impact pass rusher on Day 1, with one of the deepest pass-rushing arsenals in recent memory. And at 6’5?, 265 pounds, he compounds his elite hand usage with similarly exhilarating bend capacity past the arc."

Just now, Superman said:

I pushed back on the Tepper forced the Bryce Young pick thing, and still do. That's because it comes with the assumption that Reich didn't want Bryce Young, which isn't substantiated. If you tell me that Tepper was heavily involved in the pick, I have no problem. It's when it goes to 'there's no way Reich wanted Young' that I ask for something other than your gut feeling to support that conclusion.

And I’m sure frank, trying to be the good little solider in the new job, said “sure, I can work with Young, but I’d rather have Stroud. We all would, in fact”. It would have been a bad look for frank to go in there after just 2 months on the job and say “I can’t make that work” to anything, especially concerning the choice of QB when one of his calling cards was being a QB guru of sorts. He wasn’t going to delegitimize himself to his new boss by vehemently opposing Young. The best he could do was go with the flow and hope for the best because tepper in all his inexperience had already made his mind up based on what the talking heads had filled his ears with for months on end. Frank could have said he wanted to draft Jim Plunkett and tepper would have just nodded, pretending to listen as daydreams of Young danced in his head. 

Frank Reich with free will would have taken Stroud over Young every day of the week and twice on Sunday. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

"Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted." -- Chapterhouse DUNE

God emperor had a lot of good sayings like that too. Way deeper than I expected it to be.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah... people are comparing him to TJ Watt... but IMO a better comp is a little less explosive Nick Bosa. 

size: 6'5" 266lbs vs 6'4" 266

length: 32'5/8" vs 33"

40: 4.64 vs 4.79

10: 1.62 vs 1.55 (in an interview Latu said he's actually been running the 10 at 1.57) 

Vertical: 32 vs 33.5

Broad: 9'8" vs 9'8"

3 cone: 7.09 vs 7.10

shuttle:  4.34 vs 4.14

They are incredibly similar in their measurements and testing ... and Latu IMO is quite possibly the most refined rusher since Bosa too... 

This is stylistic and physical/athletic comparison, not expectation for him to be as good as Nick Bosa, for the record. 

There are some reasonable and intelligent talking heads saying the Latu could be the steal of this draft

There was a reason that Kwitty Paye was benched for the NASCAR rush package........  He isnt good enough to be the lead pass rusher

We are getting a great prospect here in LATU....... our pressures should grow.........   Our sacks should grow

......  Our number of INTs should grow (with better pressure)

If you think about it, if we were to have just 10 more pressures and 5 more sacks, this team would have won 1 or 2 more games, and made the playoffs

The number of pressures........ MATTER

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

And I’m sure frank, trying to be the good little solider in the new job, said “sure, I can work with Young, but I’d rather have Stroud. We all would, in fact”. It would have been a bad look for frank to go in there after just 2 months on the job and say “I can’t make that work” to anything, especially concerning the choice of QB when one of his calling cards was being a QB guru of sorts. He wasn’t going to delegitimize himself to his new boss by vehemently opposing Young. The best he could do was go with the flow and hope for the best because tepper in all his inexperience had already made his mind up based on what the talking heads had filled his ears with for months on end. Frank could have said he wanted to draft Jim Plunkett and tepper would have just nodded, pretending to listen as daydreams of Young danced in his head. 

Frank Reich with free will would have taken Stroud over Young every day of the week and twice on Sunday. 

This all tracks logically. You're still presenting your hunch as substantiated fact, which is the only reason for my resistance.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

There are some reasonable and intelligent talking heads saying the Latu could be the steal of this draft

There was a reason that Kwitty Paye was benched for the NASCAR rush package........  He isnt good enough to be the lead pass rusher

We are getting a great prospect here in LATU....... our pressures should grow.........   Our sacks should grow

......  Our number of INTs should grow (with better pressure)

If you think about it, if we were to have just 10 more pressures and 5 more sacks, this team would have won 1 or 2 more games, and made the playoffs

The number of pressures........ MATTER

Yeah, I won't expect the number of sacks to grow(it was unusually high for the number of pressures)... but if it stays the same while the pressures climb up, I think we should be good. 

It seems most of his pass rush production has been as a standing OLB. He does have reps with his hand on the ground where he's produced as well, but he was asked to rush standing up most of the time. Hopefully that isn't a big transition for him, because it is for some people.

I loved the pick. I had him as a dark horse because of his medical and felt he may slide because of it. Honestly, when it came to #15, he never really entered my mind, as I felt they would pass on him. People asked who they wanted at #15 and in one of my posts, I said a football player. I wanted Mitchell but I also raised the idea of Latua in other posts..  I really praise Ballard for this pick. I said he needed to come away with a play maker and there had to be some amount of pressure on him to do so. Apparently, information is out there that he tried to move up and I also said, I had a feeling this was a year they were going to try and make a move. I give a lot of credit to Ballard for picking the guy who has a lot of production and if he fails, so be it. I also told people on this board that this pass rush was not good enough. Ballard's eagerness to sign Hunter should have been a sign that he felt so as well. I said to watch free agency and it will tell you what their true needs are. He wanted Hunter and Sneed. The rumor is that he wanted to trade up into the 1st and everyone is saying it was probably a receiver. That is shocking to me but once again, I will give Ballard an A+ so far, because he was willing to be aggressive.  I do Steichen is having some influence on Ballard because of his days with the Eagles and how aggressive they are in the draft. I think this shows that he realizes that he needs to have play makers to play with the elite teams and you have to take some risk to get those type of players. I have been hard on Ballard, but he has knocked it out of the park so far. He took a guy with a questionable medical history, addressed a glaring need and a position that is needed to make this defense work. Don't be mislead by last year's sack totals. This team lost a pile of games in the 4th quarter last year because they could not pressure the qb. Now he needs a wr, S and corner. I wouldn't be surprised to see him move up in the 2nd. Way to go Ballard!!! 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Not sure if this has already been posted.

Belichicks analysis of the LATU pick on McAfee's show.

The film is just incredible. He beat the blocker and ran over the running back. Just… insane. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

I think it needs to be said after reading all the overreactions, ignore the medical for a second which to me is an non-issue since the guy has been healthy and productive the last two years and I'm more then confident the colts did their homework extensively to have him so high on their board, take away that this draft is top heavy with offensive talent and desperate QB teams, we're talking about a guy that talent-wise is a top 5 player that fell to 15. This isn't Kwity Paye or Turay, or Werner where your banking on traits instead of production. This is a proven pass rusher who's averaged 12 sacks the last two years after he was forced by Washington to retire to open a scholarship spot. Watch the kid play before passing judgement. That's all I ask.

yup, and the way we’re going to beat the Texans and their high powered offense is with a high powered pass rush.

pundits are saying we got an absolute dog and we got him at the one of the most expensive positions for 5 years.  

28 minutes ago, colts89 said:

It seems most of his pass rush production has been as a standing OLB. He does have reps with his hand on the ground where he's produced as well, but he was asked to rush standing up most of the time. Hopefully that isn't a big transition for him, because it is for some people.

That isn't true at all.   Latu has always been a d lineman