Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Draft Day Colts Updates/Rumors/Discussion

w87r

Ballard finally gets his edge rusher.  Should be an impact player for us.  Our new DL coach is salivating.

1 minute ago, rockywoj said:

I just feel like he was not at a position of dire need, as compared to CB.

Ballard told us he likes his corners.

• Like 4

Not upset as this was a guy I would have been fine with, but the question now or long term will be if we should have done Turner instead. But man, Latu pops on tape, this is also a big need and we can’t really get a pass rush upgrade in later rounds

• Like 3

Just now, funktacious2 said:

Not upset as this was a guy I would have been fine with, but the question now or long term will be if we should have done Turner instead. But man, Latu pops on tape, this is also a big need and we can’t really get a pass rush upgrade in later rounds

I think Turner is more 3-4 OLB than 4-3 DE.    Just my opinion.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Sheeze guys.  This is a GREAT pick!!!!

I honestly didn't know Bowers was gone and thought we skipped him.  I'm excited about this Edge rusher.  First time I've been excited about the position during Ballard's tenure!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I said it in the other thread I thought we would draft defense tonight.  I thought Turner.  Wrong player.  And I thought we would trade for Aiyuk on Friday.  I still think it’s going to happen.  Extending Buckner was for cap flexibility.  I think he gets AR a weapon.

Just now, richard pallo said:

I said it in the other thread I thought we would draft defense tonight.  I thought Turner.  Wrong player.  And I thought we would trade for Aiyuk on Friday.  I still think it’s going to happen.  Extending Buckner was for cap flexibility.  I think he gets AR a weapon.

Personally….

I hope the Buckner extension which gives us more cap space leads to the Colts signing Simmons or Diggs maybe as soon as next week….

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Personally….

I hope the Buckner extension which gives us more cap space leads to the Colts signing Simmons or Diggs maybe as soon as next week….

I think that has a great chance of happening.  I’m hoping he goes after Aiyuk for AR.  Draft pick wise he wouldn’t be expensive.  The connection is there with Lynch so I think it could happen.  Daniel Jeremiah thought we were one of two teams that made sense to him.  We will see.

Just now, richard pallo said:

I think that has a great chance of happening.  I’m hoping he goes after Aiyuk for AR.  Draft pick wise he wouldn’t be expensive.  The connection is there with Lynch so I think it could happen.  Daniel Jeremiah thought we were one of two teams that made sense to him.  We will see.

FWIW:   Earlier today in the never ending pre-draft coverage it was reported Lynch didn’t want to trade him, but if he had to he was expecting at least a first-plus for Aiyuk.  So multiple picks starting with a first.    

I don't really have an opinion on the pick but what stings is that we continue in this vicious cycle of having to spend high picks on positions that we just spent high picks on and we don't back fill with free agency...We just spent a 1st and 2nd on DE's and because we will let them walk, we have to spend another 1st round pick on one. Ballard is killing us when he keeps missing on these picks and it makes it very hard to upgrade other areas without free agency. The same thing happened at CB, TE, safety and wr to some degree. Ballard has used a lot of high(1-3round) picks on those positions and we still need help in all of them. His drafting is killing our ability to build a talented roster especially without free agency.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

FWIW:   Earlier today in the never ending pre-draft coverage it was reported Lynch didn’t want to trade him, but if he had to he was expecting at least a first-plus for Aiyuk.  So multiple picks starting with a first.    

The 1st rd is almost over.  Maybe Buffalo.  I don’t see a team trading next years first.  I think a day two pick.  We can give them Kwity or Dayo now to include a player.

16 hours ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Ballard gonna trade up for Marvin eh?? lol. No, what he’s going to do is trade back to pick 32-40 and get a mediocre WR. 

well you sure nailed that one :thmup:

15 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Ballard stinks!!! I can’t stand it!!! That was the guy. I’ve just switched from being a Ballard supporter to it’s time to go!!!

For...what?   

15 hours ago, rockywoj said:

I just feel like he was not at a position of dire need, as compared to CB.

people (before draft pick): Never draft for need!

same people (after draft pick): Why'd they draft him?  That's not a need!

:thinking:

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jason_ said:

well you sure nailed that one :thmup:

For...what?   

people (before draft pick): Never draft for need!

same people (after draft pick): Why'd they draft him?  That's not a need!

:thinking:

I am always an advocate for balance with leaning toward the team building concept of filling needs.  All things being reasonably close to equal, I would then opt for need 10/10 times.  This case, though, certainly sounds like BPA far out weighed need.  I have no problem with the pick.  

57 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I am always an advocate for balance with leaning toward the team building concept of filling needs.  All things being reasonably close to equal, I would then opt for need 10/10 times.  This case, though, certainly sounds like BPA far out weighed need.  I have no problem with the pick.  

Its also possible the colts dont see cb as big of a need as some of the fans and media think it is

13 minutes ago, Jason_ said:

Its also possible the colts dont see cb as big of a need as some of the fans and media think it is

That is certainly what Ballard was saying.  Not so sure I agree, though, but hope Ballard is right and the existing players take big steps forward.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rockywoj said:

From your previous posts before this one, it seems like you really wanted a CB. I don't understand why anyone thinks its smart to spend a first round pick on a CB when he will be sitting in a soft zone 70% of the time in a Gus Bradley defense. 

There are not many benefits of deploying a defense that was at its heights in 2014 when it is 2024 and been exploited for years now, but one of the few upsides is you do not need to spend premium picks on CBs to make it work, and yet some fans want to spend first round picks on CBs. 🤨

I had Goncalves in my mock, in the 4th round. Basically in range. I like the pick, I assume his foot is fine, he said as much, and he worked out at his pro day. Big dude, nice feet, good technique in pass pro, can get stronger to improve in the run game, technically sound for the most part. 

I wanted two things on offense this offseason: 1) A dynamic pass catcher, and 2) Depth/competition on the OL, specifically a swing tackle/guard. I was hoping for a veteran OL in addition to a draft pick, but we re-signed Pinter, so I guess we can count that. And as a bonus, Drew Ogletree is back on the roster, after I thought he was for sure going to be gone.

IMO, the offense is ready to roll. I was worried that Plan A at WR -- get a guy in the second round -- was shot after the way Thursday night went. Plan A wound up working out nicely.

The secondary could still use some work. I would have liked to see an athletic boost with a boundary corner, but this wasn't really the draft for that. And while I'm not sure what will happen after the draft, there are a ton of veteran corners and safeties still available. Including Justin Simmons and Quandre Diggs, whom everyone wanted on Day 1 on free agency. So maybe we still add some veteran help.

We also have one 4th round pick, and then three 5th rounders all bunched up from #142 to #155. Ballard already traded out of the 6th, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him either trade out of the 7th, or trade down in a swap that also moves him up higher from one of the 4th/5th round picks. He might want to keep a pick in the 7th just to grab their favorite UDFA target...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jason_ said:

It's clear and obvious. He said it plainly. The way the fans/media perceive the need at corner is very different from the way the Colts perceive the need at corner. 

Here's my simple plan for day 3. Grab a top RB in round 4. I want Jaylin Wright, Braelon Allen, or Audric Estime. See if any of them fall to our 4th round pick. If at any point before our 4th round pick two of them are gone, trade up for the last one. If two or three remain at our pick, take the highest ranked one on our board. 

Ballard has been beating out the runs at positions. RB is the next one to beat out. Get a no2 RB to team up with Taylor. Taylor, Hull, and one of these three guys at RB would be very nice for the offense and would protect us against a Taylor injury.

• Like 1