Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

Just now, jvan1973 said:

I'll take the Manning era again 

Yeah it’s not like that was an awful time…. Also those defense had talent.  I mean Dwight Freeney just went into the hall of fame.  Robert Mathis could very well, Bob Sanders was a DPOY.  Bethea and June weren’t exactly chumps back there.  No they didn’t have as much talent as the offense but saying they had no talent is a reach.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I do think he will stay put or move up

Well, if the Colts try to move up, it’ll cost a 3 and likely a Day Three pick.   Thats expensive and would potentially prevent the Colts from filling certain positions thru the draft.  I suppose it’s possible.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stitches said:

So... It sounds like the first 8 are offense and then... They are relatively evenly spread between offense and defense. Interesting...

Yes….  From Jeremiah. 

8 out of 10

6 out of 10

6 out of 10

5 out of 10

5 out of 10

Ill see if I can do the same from other analysts in the days to come. 

By the way, I tried to send you a private message.   It was blocked to me.   Would you like all of our discussions public, or would you be willing to open PMs to me?

Either is fine.   Up to you.  

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah it’s not like that was an awful time…. Also those defense had talent.  I mean Dwight Freeney just went into the hall of fame.  Robert Mathis could very well, Bob Sanders was a DPOY.  Bethea and June weren’t exactly chumps back there.  No they didn’t have as much talent as the offense but saying they had no talent is a reach.  

The defense had one talent and that was to rush the passer. Once teams started running on them, they were by far  less effective. They were undersized and built to protect a lead. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

it was a hell of  run but more questions about what it could have been with a couple of tweaks here and there .

Aren't they all.   The 90s bills,   the 00s chargers.  Both great teams,    winning super bowls isn't easy.  Give me 12 wins a year and a chance when the playoffs come around.   You make it sound like it's an easy formula.   It obviously isn't.   You understand that every team has a team of scouts that follow these kids for the entirety of their college careers.   They know them,  spend time with them.    Then you make claims about Dejean, for example,  without any information.   It's pretty comical really.   

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well, if the Colts try to move up, it’ll cost a 3 and likely a Day Three pick.   Thats expensive and would potentially prevent the Colts from filling certain positions thru the draft.  I suppose it’s possible.  

I’m at the point now that it’s worth trading up and doing what needs to be done for one of these receivers. If Ballard has a legit chance to get a MHJ/Nabers, then do it. Just my two cents on it. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Seriously.  That’s a small price to pay for a Nabors or Bowers.  I think most here would do it in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Superman said:

To the bolded, yeah, probably. That's my opinion, it's probably biased by my own thinking on the value of the WR position and how good players can be acquired and developed, but I think there's something to it. I also think there's something to Ballard's insistence since 2017 that he values OL/DL, he values trading back, and he thinks there are good players throughout the draft.

I also think going back to the Polian/Dungy days, there's been a team building philosophy -- not specific to the Colts, but definitely something the Colts adhered to back then and have returned to since 2018 -- that emphasizes zone based corners. And part of the reason for that is because zone corners are less expensive and easier to draft. I think the draft value for zone based corner prospects tends to be Day 2 and beyond, which influences Ballard's draft decisions, and speaks to why he's drafted three corners in the second round. And that's directly to the point I was making in the post you quote -- zone based corners are typically found beyond the first round, the Colts run a zone based defense, and I think they probably won't draft a corner on Day 1.

Meanwhile, he's made four first round picks: two trench players, one QB, and one safety. Some might say the safety is an outlier -- it was his first year, still with a different defensive philosophy. That might be true, but I think safety is considered more important in this defense than corner. 

I'm not necessarily advocating for this approach. I would love a WR at #15, depending on who it is. I just don't expect it.

There's a ton of conjecture here based on a guy that has shown no positional bias and whose last 1st round pick as part of the Chiefs was a corner 

1 hour ago, Dobbinblitz said:

SportsBetting. listed their betting odds for which positions are most likely to be selected by each of the 32 NFL teams in the first round next Thursday. So, what do they think is most likely to happen for the Colts? 

Cornerback: +120

Wide Receiver: +250

Tight End: +275

Defensive Line/Edge: +700

Easy money to be made for some here

Just now, jvan1973 said:

What's your bet?

If I were to make a bet it would be on DL, but that's just based on odds. Don't see any value though. I only see one corner they'd take, a WR or TE likely only if we move up which I think is more likely this year than most but not enough with the odds. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Seriously.  That’s a small price to pay for a Nabors or Bowers.  I think most here would do it in a heartbeat.

Seriously….  To move up for Nabors it’ll cost much more than a 3 and a Day Three pick.  That offer was to move up a little.  To move up as far as Nabors, the compensation would be much more expensive.  Like a 2 and a 4, and maybe a future pick.  Which you may be willing to do.  But I seriously doubt Ballard and Steichen would go that far. 

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Seriously….  To move up for Nabors it’ll cost much more than a 3 and a Day Three pick.  That offer was to move up a little.  To move up as far as Nabors, the compensation would be much more expensive.  Like a 2 and a 4, and maybe a future pick.  Which you may be willing to do.  But I seriously doubt Ballard and Steichen would go that far. 

yeah I don’t quite understand all the talk about moving up. Brian Thomas Jr and Adonai Mitchell are about as intriguing to me where we sit in the draft versus giving up capital for a few guys they *may* be better. 

If we are moving up, I would hope it would be for Marvin and they are damn sure plus have the full encouragement from the big boss to do so. 

I don’t see it. I think people will be surprised if we don’t pick a receiver, but I’m not sure we will 1st round. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Aren't they all.   The 90s bills,   the 00s chargers.  Both great teams,    winning super bowls isn't easy.  Give me 12 wins a year and a chance when the playoffs come around.   You make it sound like it's an easy formula.   It obviously isn't.   You understand that every team has a team of scouts that follow these kids for the entirety of their college careers.   They know them,  spend time with them.    Then you make claims about Dejean, for example,  without any information.   It's pretty comical really.   

Nope it isn't. But I screamed for years  during the draft. U had Mathis and Freemey. I wanted that 3 tech. I thought if Polian had gotten that guy, we would have been unbeatable.  I was all for going all in and making a splash trade. They finally got Simon and look how the D looked, and then they got Booger. I thought those moves should have been made years before they happened.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I listened to the Micheal  Lombardi show today. I have said my liking of Mitchell and more recently, Latu before listening to his podcast.. It was today's podcast, so I am no mirroring what he said. He thinks Mitchell is a top 10 pick and likes Latu over Turner but it's the medical for Latu. I would love Colts to make a move for either. This is the year lol.

26 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

yeah I don’t quite understand all the talk about moving up. Brian Thomas Jr and Adonai Mitchell are about as intriguing to me where we sit in the draft versus giving up capital for a few guys they *may* be better. 

I agree. In a normal draft that doesn’t have such a deep group of top WRs, BTJ and Mitchell would be picked much higher in the first round. They are both outstanding prospects. Which is why you can get a great receiver by waiting and not making a desperate trade up. I don’t see Ballard making such a move. If anything, he trades down slightly in the first round and gets another decent Day 2 pick. But that said, either BTJ or Mitchell would be terrific additions to the Colts. 

3 hours ago, Superman said:

I generally add .05 to hand times because I feel like they tend to be home cooked. Not saying that's the right way to do it, but I think there's reason to be skeptical of the non-Combine times. 

In this case, that would make DeJean's time more like 4.48. Based on what I watched, I thought he'd run about 4.5. I agree that his long speed and quickness are a step below what a top tier corner should have, but he's very explosive, tough, instinctive, great ball skills, etc. I see him as a Day 2 prospect, and more of a nickel / strong safety than a boundary corner, even in our zone defense. 

I say round one , you say round 2 or round 3 . We shall see said the duck

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dobbinblitz said:

After the first round, would not be surprised if Texas A&M linebacker Edgerrin Cooper is not high on Ballard's draft Board. He has a similar wiry build as Leonard ( 6'3" 230lbs ) with a good wingspan, very good sideline to sideline speed (4.51 -2nd fastest among pure linebackers), and excellent lateral movement.. Has eight pass break-ups over the  last 2 seasons. Has a 9.34 RAS score which ranked in the top 10% of all LB's since 1987. Impressed in interviews as someone smart and mature. He is considered a solid tackler with good football instincts. He allowed 14 pass completions for the entire 2024 season, 17 tackles for loss, and 8 sacks for an under performing A&M team n the SEC.

Colts desperately could use  a coverage / blitz capable linebacker to replace the production of Okereke. Cooper appears to be a Ballard type pick who would fill a big need.

I would really like us to sign Cooper, I don't have confidence in Franklin and Speeds ability to cover which Cooper is a true 3 down LB while Franklin and Speed should be off the field on 3rd downs

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

If we are moving up, I would hope it would be for Marvin and they are damn sure plus have the full encouragement from the big boss to do so. 

I don’t see it. I think people will be surprised if we don’t pick a receiver, but I’m not sure we will 1st round. 

I was very high on BTJ early, but he terrifies me the more I watch him. Crazy potential, but is a one trick pony, and you have to be certain you can develop him. 

I would prefer Adonai at this point, but he absolutely takes plays off during runs or if he doesn't think he's getting the ball. I don't think Ballard will think he matches the culture.

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

Dang. Yeah, I didn't see this before my last post.

Yeah, this absolutely matches what you see on the tape. Takes plays off if he doesn't think he's getting the ball. I'm not sure if he's a team first guy. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, w87r said:

Interesting. Sounds like a maturity issue as much as anything. That can change once you see how a professional works/work with Reggie Wayne (the epitome of a pro). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DattMavis said:

Dang. Yeah, I didn't see this before my last post.

Yeah, this absolutely matches what you see on the tape. Takes plays off if he doesn't think he's getting the ball. I'm not sure if he's a team first guy. 

these things will be factored no doubt.

we all know Ballard places high emphasis on character when drafting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

I agree. In a normal draft that doesn’t have such a deep group of top WRs, BTJ and Mitchell would be picked much higher in the first round. They are both outstanding prospects. Which is why you can get a great receiver by waiting and not making a desperate trade up. I don’t see Ballard making such a move. If anything, he trades down slightly in the first round and gets another decent Day 2 pick. But that said, either BTJ or Mitchell would be terrific additions to the Colts. 

It would be of great benefit to get quality over quantity. Don’t agree on trading down.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I’m with ya..  

I'm not sure we’re going WR at 15 either.  I think we could go DE, and it’s possible we could go CB as well.   Gosh,  I love Mitchell and really like Arnold as well.  And if we trade back I would be fine with McKinstry or a DE on defense or one of the 2nd tier of WRs that could be there in the 20’s.  So many options.  

I keep reminding myself, every pick could produce a surprise, because I think Ballard will have so many options to choose from.   

Im also not sure Ballard will use all 7 rounds.   He finished in 5 rounds in his first draft 2017,  and he finished in 6 rounds in 2019.   Maybe he uses all 7 rounds, but I’m not confident we will.  

One week from tonight.   

5 hours ago, Superman said:

I generally add .05 to hand times because I feel like they tend to be home cooked. Not saying that's the right way to do it, but I think there's reason to be skeptical of the non-Combine times. 

In this case, that would make DeJean's time more like 4.48. Based on what I watched, I thought he'd run about 4.5. I agree that his long speed and quickness are a step below what a top tier corner should have, but he's very explosive, tough, instinctive, great ball skills, etc. I see him as a Day 2 prospect, and more of a nickel / strong safety than a boundary corner, even in our zone defense. 

FWIW:   Today I listened to a guy from The Athletic interviewed on ESPN.   (Darren Lee). He said interviewing GMs at the combine, almost all view DeJean as a safety except two teams.  He thinks the Colts and Jags view DeJean as a corner.  

I don’t know this reporter, never seen him before, so I can’t speak to his credibility.  But it sounds like he did a lot of homework.  

And I appreciate your view on pro day times being reliable or not.   I’m always skeptical on pro days.  But I thought DeJean helped himself on his testing.  

I don't think the Colts have any trade up plans primarily bc they didn't do much in FA. The plan likely is to add picks not give them away. You can add multiple blue chip defenders if you trade back #15 while still getting a blue chip WR in Rd 1. Blue chip according to the Colts standards more than the pundits and fans who are often wrong. I like the trade back the best unless Bowers or somebody else we didn't think would be there is sitting there at #15. I think the passing over better players logic is faulty for the most part bc it's based on people's perception and not how a team has things ranked on their board.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Unfortunately,  You're probably right. I just want this offense to get one more dynamic player for AR and this offense would explode. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, boo2202 said:

If we’re moving up it’s for an offensive playmaker. Turner will be gone. One of Verse,Arnold, or Mitchell will be available at 15. If Rome or Malik is there at 9, I think that’s our target. Don’t see Ballard moving up for a TE. 

If we move up, it would be for a TE like in Bowers. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Take it for what this is worth, but they said on Pat McAfee not long ago Indy is looking to trade up. 

This could very well be the rare year we do trade up on Day 1.  Really shocked if we go after a legacy and the cost might be too rich for the short-term versus draft immediate draft needs.  Now a trade up to say P8 swap with Atlanta has a higher percentage of happening I do feel.  No way going to trade within our division with the Titans at P7.  At P8 should still have one of the top-3 WRs or even better option of drafting a generational TE in Bowers. 

welp, after another week of developments, rumors, and predictions…here is where I stand:

1.  My personal top 5 for our first has not changed.  Mitchell, Arnold, Turner, BTJ, Bowers are still who id be ok with picking at 15.  I’ve said it before, but this is one of the most “it can go any way for us” drafts I’ve witnessed for us in a long time, if not ever.  

2.  With the rumors of us looking to trade up, I AM ALL FOR IT.  It’s ok to play it safe and build your team, but that gets mediocrity.  We need to go out and get a guy.  A player we KNOW that will be elite or very good.  Not one that we hope can do that.  I think MHJ is definitely going to the Cards (if they don’t trade out) so that means either Nabers or Odunze who we’re probably trading for if they fall to 8 or 9.  Id prefer Nabers over Odunze.  Nabers is that blazing separator we desperately need, Odunze is possessive beast, but I feel we already have that with MPJ.  I don’t think trading up for bowers would be worth it.  

3.  Trading back is an absolute no for me.  As said above, we have to start getting bonafide players and studs.  If we have a chance to get a bonafide stud, then we shouldn’t give it up.  Trading back and giving up the chance to get someone is lowering the talent level of our first pick.  Let’s get aggressive for once and get OUR guy.  If we can’t, let’s stay put and draft a player who will be VERY good.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Unfortunately,  You're probably right. I just want this offense to get one more dynamic player for AR and this offense would explode. 

I think if the Colts get a WR in the top-50 picks, or so,  I think the Colts would agree with you. 

13 hours ago, dw49 said:

I'm thinking that a  trade down would  net us a 3rd and we would package that with our P 46 for something in the high second. Totally agree that it would be bad strategy to accumulate day 3 picks. Even if what you say id not true , this draft is said to be very good in the first half and weak in the later rounds.

I really like the idea of using day 3 picks to move up on day 2. I think this team needs quality over quantity and would rather walk away from the draft with 5 players in the first four rounds than 8-9 bc we got more late round picks trading down. 

I would even be ok with moving down in the first if the draft board says the players we want are valued in the 20s and it nets a 3rd or 4th. 

• Like 1