Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

Hmmm.  The thread is turning into a Sneed love-fest.  

Kinda odd that KC can draft 2 top 5 corners in Sneed and McDuffie while other teams can barely draft 1.

Tap the brakes a bit maybe? 

Is it Spagnola?  Is it Jones and the pass rush?  Other coverage players taking some heat off?  The threat of Mahomes lighting it up if KCs offense gets the ball back forcing rushed QB decisions or play calling? 

And now KC will get rid of him for a mid round pick even though they can retain him under their cap for another year. 

Do they know something that was key to Sneed's success that we don't know and don't have?  Probably.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Taliese Fuaga is pretty good...

Man Crush Alert!!    

He’d be the one guy, (not counting MHJ) who if he fell to 15 I’d re-think my approach to the draft.   I saw tape of TF both at the Senior bowl and also game tape and fell madly in love.  Whoever was opposite him just disappeared.  I thought he’d be some big hulking slow moving mauler.  Instead his feet were light and he moved so easily.  

Man against boys.   

I don’t think he lasts to 15,  but if he did…. 

:scoregood:      :heart:       :worthy:

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Kinda odd that KC can draft 2 top 5 corners in Sneed and McDuffie while other teams barely can draft 1.

Tap the brakes a bit?  Is is Spagnola?  Is it Jones and the pass rush?  Other coverage players taking some heat off?  The threat of Mahomes lighting it up if KCs offense gets the ball back? 

And now KC will get rid of him for a mid round pick even though they can retain him under their cap for another year.  Do they know something that was key to Sneed's success that we don't?  Probably.

Solid post. You bring up some good things to think about and discuss.

Everyone is stir crazy around here. Need Chloe to get busy. Slacker... 

Need to see who KCs CB coach/secondary is. They are doing their thing.

I just think both are just really good. Let's not just push off the fact that McDuffie was the 3rd CB taken behind only Stingley and Sauce.

The guy came in with great pedigree. 

Spags is nice and a legend on the Defensive side of the ball really, but I see Sneed making plays everywhere and well outside the time of it being pressure induced. Chris Jones does help things though.

KC don't have much of a choice, they can make it work this year, but they have another elite CB already, a belief they can coach up players, so try and find another on a rookie deal.

I have thought about most of those things you've listed. Especially the part about offenses feeling the need to keep up with Mahomes.

I just think Snead is good. That's the conclusion I've came to. Seen him play a lot.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Kinda odd that KC can draft 2 top 5 corners in Sneed and McDuffie while other teams can barely draft 1.

Is it Spagnola?  Is it Jones and the pass rush?  Other coverage players taking some heat off?  The threat of Mahomes lighting it up if KCs offense gets the ball back forcing rushed QB decisions or play calling? 

And now KC will get rid of him for a mid round pick even though they can retain him under their cap for another year. 

Do they know something that was key to Sneed's success that we don't know and don't have?  Probably.

It’s Dave Merritt, their secondary coach who was interviewed for a DC position by the 49ers, and when he didn’t get the job, Chiefs fans were relieved.

Their DL coach and DB Coach being in sync with what Spags wants to do helps with the communication between the front 6/7 and secondary.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, w87r said:

but I see Sneed making plays everywhere and well outside the time of it being pressure induced.

11 minutes ago, w87r said:

I just think Snead is good. That's the conclusion I've came to. Seen him play a lot.

He’s a very good football player and was in a great scheme/defense, especially last year. 

Why we would want to “tap the breaks” on him when defensive back was clearly a weak spot last season is a strange perspective to me. It doesn’t take a lot to watch his film and see that he makes plays that our defensive backs do not. Pairing him with Kenny Moore, who plays similar but smaller, would do a lot for our defense. I can understand the argument to the cost to get him. But that’s not really for us to decide on the true value. I wouldn’t be upset about him as a Colt, especially with what we retained this offseason. Gives a lot of options finishing out the free agency period, especially with a few extensions/restructures, and a whole lot of flexibility going into the draft. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

In

Ballard knows value. So far in his tenure he has never overpaid for a player. You could argue Leonard , but he was legitimately the best LB in the game at that time.

I think it’s fine to put some money in Sneed. The young corner strategy hasn’t really worked, and the solution to that isn’t t more youth. A vet who can start on the outside for 4+ years would be a huge get.

The young corner strategy was only done one year — last year.   The kids needed experience.   We don’t know if it worked until this year when we find out if they’re better. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Why we would want to “tap the breaks” on him when defensive back was clearly a weak spot last season is a strange perspective to me

Those were all fair questions and concerns, to slow down and take a look at. Like I said, I actually have went over most of them already in my head as well.

• Like 1

Just now, BlackTiger said:

Nothing in your post addressed this but maybe he really does want too much

Its possible and hard for fans to accept that

Maybe he does, and if so is he wanting to take the risk to play for a team that has already been satisfied with the trade terms on the tag while leaving significant guaranteed money on the table? It’s possible, but I would think highly unlikely… 

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

t’s possible, but I would think highly unlikely… 

I wont use the words likely or unlikely but I think its not nearly as far fetched as some of you

Its not like hes the greatest corner ever or best in the league now.  Hes pretty good, if hes asking for something outrageous then its not worth it to us.

Some people here and on reddit are acting the team needs to get this done no matter what but it wont happen if the deal is a bad one.  Big free agency deals can easily go badly for the team.  The fact that hes open to be traded here doesnt mean much when it comes to how much he is asking for.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I wont use the words likely or unlikely but I think its not nearly as far fetched as some of you

Its not like hes the greatest corner ever or best in the league now.  Hes pretty good, if hes asking for something outrageous then its not worth it to us.

Some people here and on reddit are acting the team needs to get this done no matter what but it wont happen if the deal is a bad one.  Big free agency deals can easily go badly for the team.  The fact that hes open to be traded here doesnt mean much when it comes to how much he is asking for.

The LAST thing I worry about with Ballard is him handing out a bad deal.  If the deal that Sneed wants is too bad for the Colts he will walk away and figure out a plan B.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The LAST thing I worry about with Ballard is him handing out a bad deal

Im not worried about it either.  Im addressing all the fans on here, reddit and twitter that think we should get it done no matter what.

There is a lot of that out there today.  I work from home and check these sites in my down time, this mindset is out there

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

He’s a top 3 zone CB in the league. That’s gotten better each year. He just wants PAID and rightfully so. He had just one TD allowed all year, the one in the superbowl . His pass defensed rate is best amongst Zone CBs. 

can I get a link to the pass defense rate stat?

10 minutes ago, w87r said:

TBH I don't even feel like CB is a big need, but if we can fortify it more I'm down.

Whether that be Sneed, another vet or a draft pick 

I think it’s the weakest group.  Kenny is the only one we’re sure of.  Juju looked decent, but he played about half a season.  

Jones did okay, but we can’t continue to say “for a late draft pick”.  Draft position no longer matters, play does.

Flowers has started something like 5 games in two years.  He also showed promise.  But we don’t know if teams will expose him like they did Jones once they see his tendencies.  

So, yes, I think a veteran CB is a huge need…and safety isn’t that far behind.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Im not worried about it either.  Im addressing all the fans on here, reddit and twitter that think we should get it done no matter what.

There is a lot of that out there today.  I work from home and check these sites in my down time, this mindset is out there

I had the same thought, Sneed is a good CB but he isn't worth top CB money that lockdown man coverage CBs get. My nightmare situation is we give a day 2 or better pick and a 20+ Mil contract. As there are still FA CBs that can be signed for half that price and are arguably just as good, of course Ballard is usually good at contracts. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Nothing in your post addressed this but maybe he really does want too much

Its possible and hard for fans to accept that

I find it hard to believe that Snead would turn down a fair from the Colts. He really doesn't have all that much leverage. If a deal doesn't get done , he has to play under the tag and he doesn't want to do that. It could be they are just fighting it out on the guarantee and whether it's a 3 or a 4 year deal. Maybe it's a done deal with just a bit left to negotiate

21 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I don’t think it should get done no matter the cost. And I know that it won’t. But I can’t say I know what value they are putting on him either, so I might be surprised by how much he could command from us. 

This forum is the only site I am on essentially, and it’s because I’ve done the Twitter game regarding the colts and it’s nowhere near the level of conversation that happens on this forum. There is a lot of Madden players out there…

3 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I had the same thought, Sneed is a good CB but he isn't worth top CB money that lockdown man coverage CBs get. My nightmare situation is we give a day 2 or better pick and a 20+ Mil contract. As there are still FA CBs that can be signed for half that price and are arguably just as good, of course Ballard is usually good at contracts. 

Not sure if that is an accurate assessment .

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

I find it hard to believe that Snead would turn down a fair from the Colts. He really doesn't have all that much leverage. If a deal doesn't get done , he has to play under the tag and he doesn't want to do that. It could be they are just fighting it out on the guarantee and whether it's a 3 or a 4 year deal. Maybe it's a done deal with just a bit left to negotiate

… or a 4 or 5 year deal. Ramsey and Ward got 5-100. He could very well be pushing to eclipse that. 

23 minutes ago, w87r said:

TBH I don't even feel like CB is a big need, but if we can fortify it more I'm down.

Whether that be Sneed, another vet or a draft pick 

You can never tell with this scheme. Any corner would look bad if we continue to play with a 10 yard cushion.

Sneed would be a huge upgrade regardless. Still doesn’t address our glaring hole at safety 

2 hours ago, Crunked said:

I have lived too long....when the credibles sources name is "Nicken Chugget" ...I have lived too long LOL 

You just had to point that out didn't you?  I skimmed right past that at first, and I was a happier person back then  :nutz:

12 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Who?  Gilmore?  Nelson?   

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I think it’s the weakest group.  Kenny is the only one we’re sure of.  Juju looked decent, but he played about half a season.  

Jones did okay, but we can’t continue to say “for a late draft pick”.  Draft position no longer matters, play does.

Flowers has started something like 5 games in two years.  He also showed promise.  But we don’t know if teams will expose him like they did Jones once they see his tendencies.  

So, yes, I think a veteran CB is a huge need…and safety isn’t that far behind.  

CB:(7) Dallis Flowers, JuJu Brents, Kenny Moore, Jaylon Jones, Ameer Speed, Chris Lammons, Darrell Baker Jr

S:(7) Rodney Thomas, Nick Cross, Daniel Scott, Trevor Denbow, Marcel Dabo, Kendell Brooks, Michael Tutsie

Definitely think safety takes the cake now. Like I've said a few times, I would like to sign (2) vet safeties.

As far as CB, a lot will be determined based on their improvements, but the Young's guys got thrown to the wolfs and should only benefit from it. Speed was another rookie in development year essentially. I like Flowers, More obviously, and I think Lammons is a great backup for Kenny.

Not much room for addition, but if we can roll out and Jones is our 4th or 5th CB, we will be in good shape.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think he lasts to 15,  but if he did

If any of those top 3 OTs make it to #15, Ballard might have a hard time letting that pass?

But this is the FA thread. I'll save that 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Thats my bad. I’m probably over hyping too much. 

I’m also still thinking Sneed ends up running it back with Kansas City. 

28 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Thats my bad. I’m probably over hyping too much. 

I’m also still thinking Sneed ends up running it back with Kansas City. 

He would be a big loss for them no doubt.

Just wish it would end, either way.

Let's shake hands and go on our ways.(Not me and you, lol) Chiefs and colts 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I mean if it’s about what I’d rather trade them I’d send them Baker, Sam, Eric Johnson and there was probably a lawn chair or something that blew into the colts complex during the storm last night…

I don’t think they will go for that though…

Don’t second guess yourself. 

Lawn Chair season is coming and the market is hot

17 minutes ago, w87r said:

If any of those top 3 OTs make it to #15, Ballard might have a hard time letting that pass?

But this is the FA thread. I'll save that 

I don't see us drafting a tackle early. the only way that makes sense is if you kick Smith to RG, and if they were gonna do that they should've done it years ago

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Solid post. You bring up some good things to think about and discuss.

Everyone is stir crazy around here. Need Chloe to get busy. Slacker... 

Need to see who KCs CB coach/secondary is. They are doing their thing.

I just think both are just really good. Let's not just push off the fact that McDuffie was the 3rd CB taken behind only Stingley and Sauce.

The guy came in with great pedigree. 

Spags is nice and a legend on the Defensive side of the ball really, but I see Sneed making plays everywhere and well outside the time of it being pressure induced. Chris Jones does help things though.

KC don't have much of a choice, they can make it work this year, but they have another elite CB already, a belief they can coach up players, so try and find another on a rookie deal.

I have thought about most of those things you've listed. Especially the part about offenses feeling the need to keep up with Mahomes.

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

He’s a very good football player and was in a great scheme/defense, especially last year. 

Why we would want to “tap the breaks” on him when defensive back was clearly a weak spot last season is a strange perspective to me. It doesn’t take a lot to watch his film and see that he makes plays that our defensive backs do not. Pairing him with Kenny Moore, who plays similar but smaller, would do a lot for our defense. I can understand the argument to the cost to get him. But that’s not really for us to decide on the true value. I wouldn’t be upset about him as a Colt, especially with what we retained this offseason. Gives a lot of options finishing out the free agency period, especially with a few extensions/restructures, and a whole lot of flexibility going into the draft. 

I don't mean tap the brakes on acquiring him.   I mean tap the brakes on expectations about his level of production/impact when he comes over to the Colts.....or maybe any other team for that matter.

We don't have the team KC does, and the supporting players around Sneed.  Probably not the coaching staff either.  Sneed is bound to come back to earth a little if he comes here.

And if the rumor is true that Ballard is stalling on contract, that may in fact be what he is thinking, and his numbers are based upon what he thinks Sneed will do here while Sneed wants to get paid for his production in KC. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, legend300 said:

What’s your thoughts @Superman if it’s 22 mil a year. 

I think he's a good player, and that's his market. But I don't see the Colts doing this. I think the reports are exaggerated, at best, to get other bidders to get serious and make a good offer. 

The reasons why:

1) Part of the attractiveness of a zone heavy defense is that you can find scheme fit corners on a lower price tier. This is how Ballard has handled the position since 2018.

2) I don't think Sneed's ability as a good coverage corner would be put to good use in the Colts defense, not as long as Gus Bradley is the DC.

3) Ballard does not like to trade away draft picks, even for veteran players; the only times he's done so was for a trench player -- his absolute fave -- and a QB.

4) Ballard's front office doesn't leak, partly because they don't get involved in protracted negotiations. The Buckner deal happened before anyone realized it was in the works, and was in place before the league year started. The Wentz deal was more obvious, the winds were blowing in that direction, but again, that was for a QB, and again, it was done before the league year started. The proactive nature of those deals prevented Ballard from being subjected to a bidding war. Speaking of...

5) Ballard doesn't do bidding wars. That's why being in the mix for a tagged player in the first place doesn't make sense.

6) The Colts have used most of their 2024 cap space already, so a big contract for Sneed would likely need to be backloaded. We also might need to restructure or extend guys like Buckner, Nelson, etc., to make it work. And those are also things that Ballard doesn't like to do.

For those reasons, and probably others, this would be the single greatest departure from Ballard's mode of operation in eight years. So it's hard for me to see Ballard trading probably a 2nd+5th round pick, AND agreeing to a multi-year contract north of $22m/year, for a cornerback. 

Personally, I would welcome it. And I would cross my fingers and hope that it signals some adjustments in our approach to defensive coverage. But I sincerely do not think it's going to happen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Man Crush Alert!!    

He’d be the one guy, (not counting MHJ) who if he fell to 15 I’d re-think my approach to the draft.   I saw tape of TF both at the Senior bowl and also game tape and fell madly in love.  Whoever was opposite him just disappeared.  I thought he’d be some big hulking slow moving mauler.  Instead his feet were light and he moved so easily.  

Man against boys.   

I don’t think he lasts to 15,  but if he did…. 

:scoregood:      :heart:       :worthy:

He might not last, but there will probably be a couple of really good prospects still on the board at #15 that we didn't anticipate. That's why I'm personally not going to get too attached to any particular draft strategy.